Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 8 - Search Contents of Folder

• 07-03-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

i really really hope this is a stupid question, but I have searched for over an hour and I still cant find the answer

In Windows 8 , how do I search a folder to find any/all docs that contain a certain string? ie search the content, not search for files/docs of a certain name.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

When you open the folder the top right hand side of the open window will have a search box.It will search in the open folder only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

No, that field is used for searching the folder for files with names like your entry in that field.

I am looking for a search function that looks within files / docs for a search string, ie it searches the contents of the file, not the file-name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, that field is used for searching the folder for files with names like your entry in that field.
    By default if a folder is not indexed, then you can only search on the file name or other attributes of the file (creation / modification date, size, author etc.). If a folder is indexed you can search on content also.

So, you need to either ensure that the folder you want to search is being indexed, and everything will work as you want, or else (and this may take a looong time depending on the size of the folder) open up the ribbon, and you'll see an option under "Advanced options" to search on file content in non-indexed locations. Lots of other search related options there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

saw something about indexing folders (on one of my many searches) but there had to be some way to search any & every folder without having to do that first ..... and lo .... Advanced Options in Search ribbon! Cheers Alun .... many many thanks .... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're going to be doing a lot of searching on that folder, it still might be best to add it to the list of indexed folders. It'll speed up the searches a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement