Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2014 (Voting Thursday March 13) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

bolger has gone viral boys, video has three thousand hits! hope he wins and sticks two fingers up to the canoe club!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You like your stereotypes Jester eh?

There stereotypes for a reason besides I didn't bring in stereotypes.

bolger has gone viral boys, video has three thousand hits! hope he wins and sticks two fingers up to the canoe club!

and still not posted on his Facebook page. The wolf of the students union he is not. More like the layabout of the students union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

it is on his fb page

5k views. the kid's on a winner.

nother must be soiling himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

Jester252 wrote: »
    Thankfully Mr GAA is not a big voter.

Not a stereotypical comment no? Maybe its time the trend has been broken...

• Advertisement

it is on his fb page

5k views. the kid's on a winner.

nother must be soiling himself.

It's not. He hasn't posted it at all and to further prove that the he's not the man for the job, he has only posted his manifesto which is lacking

Does he need to post it when its already going viral?

Not a stereotypical comment no? Maybe its time the trend has been broken...

Did I say it wasn't? Care to read the post that it was responding to?

Does he need to post it when its already going viral?

On his campaign page

yes
    seen as the video has no link to the page and not to mention the fact he can't keep his name straight.

So you think Nother and Bogue are doing a better job to reach "Mr GAA" which is probably the predominant population of UL seeing as its Ireland's leading sporting college?

It obviously states in his manifesto that he is trying to reach the greater population of UL by targeting those who are not currently involved... So it seems he is sticking to his word in targeting that audience for the moment

I am neither for or against but I feel his work has been effective to date whether he does/doesnt hand around sweets and annoy people when they try to get to their classes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

On his campaign page

yes
    seen as the video has no link to the page and not to mention the fact he can't keep his name straight.

Heard it's not posted as it didn't pass ERB.

So you think Nother and Bogue are doing a better job to reach "Mr GAA" which is probably the predominant population of UL seeing as its Ireland's leading sporting college?

It obviously states in his manifesto that he is trying to reach the greater population of UL by targeting those who are not currently involved... So it seems he is sticking to his word in targeting that audience for the moment

I am neither for or against but I feel his work has been effective to date whether he does/doesnt hand around sweets and annoy people when they try to get to their classes

That tactic hasn't worked for anyone before. The SU is happy if 4,000 students vote. Out of 11,000 undergrad and 1,000s of postgrads its a small percentage. The ones who do vote are connected to the SU and C&S. Just look back over the years of the SU and you'll see that the officers where connected to the SU before they got elected.

phish wrote: »
    If it didnt pass ERB why were sabbatical members including current president Emma Porter and Paddy Rockett watching it in the courtyard today? Why was is it even issued/released then?

Thats nonsense, he showed the video on the campus grounds and nothing was said...of course its passed!

phish wrote: »

Well that is him fecked. Seen as he was out campaigning with the video

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Well that is him fecked. Seen as he was out campaigning with the video

The video was passed by the ERB as far as I have been led to believe. That is why it was posted first accidentally, and then taken down until it was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

If it didnt pass ERB why were sabbatical members including current president Emma Porter and Paddy Rockett watching it in the courtyard today? Why was is it even issued/released then?

Thats nonsense, he showed the video on the campus grounds and nothing was said...of course its passed!

Sorry didn't see it in the courtyard today, I admit I heard it on Monday so maybe it was passed since.

That tactic hasn't worked for anyone before. The SU is happy if 4,000 students vote. Out of 11,000 undergrad and 1,000s of postgrads its a small percentage. The ones who do vote are connected to the SU and C&S. Just look back over the years of the SU and you'll see that the officers where connected to the SU before they got elected.

So you mean to tell me the majority vote of UL are either people directly connected with the SU and C&S? And the remainder are postgrads?

When I "look back over the years" all I can see is the same predominant group of people being re-elected and recycling votes year after year...You are right to say that those who are elected have a history with the SU prior to being elected but atleast Bolger is trying to change from the norm and step outside, what sounds like, your comfort zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

I take back my statement of the candidate list being lifeless and boring.
    Tommy Bulger will pull in a large amount of votes. The vast majority of people on boards are interested in the SU elections. The vast majority of UL students however, are not. "Yer man from the video" will become well known. The GAA pint drinker demographic is a lot more powerful than you think.
    Saw Bogue today, does not come across as the lowbrow pop psychology version of Sylvia Plath I had in my head. She needs to go out on the lash with a gang of rowdy lads to secure their vote. The informed voters I think will already have her as their #1. . .

So you mean to tell me the majority vote of UL are either people directly connected with the SU and C&S? And the remainder are postgrads?

When I "look back over the years" all I can see is the same predominant group of people being re-elected and recycling votes year after year...You are right to say that those who are elected have a history with the SU prior to being elected but atleast Bolger is trying to change from the norm and step outside, what sounds like, your comfort zone?

No the majority of voters are involved in the SU

But ever year you have a Bolger who runs on the fact that he is an outsider. How many outsides have made it in?

But ever year you have a Bolger who runs on the fact that he is an outsider. How many outsides have made it in?

Technically he is not an outsider. He was First Year Rep in Class Reps Council. I bet more than half of UL don't even know what that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 imakefilms

The video DID pass the ERB. Not sure why he hasn't posted it to his page though.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

imakefilms wrote: »
    The video DID pass the ERB. Not sure why he hasn't posted it to his page though.

Cause he's organised ;)

To be quite honest Im not in an informed position to answer that question but he has been recognized in the SU as first year class rep back in 2010/11, and has ran events such as the First Year ball and the Fall ball which gave him a lot of popularity and recognition within and outside the SU

Technically he is not an outsider. He was First Year Rep in Class Reps Council. I bet more than half of UL don't even know what that is.

and he didn't leave a good impression with the SU

And you would know how?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

I think Bolger reminds a few people of Boland that ran 2 years ago and pulled in a massive amount of votes when the majority of people considered him a joke. Bolger is like Boland 2.0, I think he's gonna surprise quite a few people

Which is not that many people, the SU are a minority group realistically.

And you would know how?

I hear whispers

Which is not that many people, the SU are a minority group realistically.

But they're the group that votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

djnr8 wrote: »
    I think Bolger reminds a few people of Boland

"Boland for better condoms"

There are similarities between the two (Empowerment/Motivate), but the way they're campaigning is completely different. Boland's campaign was rather low key that year and then he drew in an unexpectedly large number of votes.
    Bolger's campaign is much more prominent and out there

Advertisement