Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2014 (Voting Thursday March 13) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

Jester252 wrote: »
    I hear whispers

Chinese whispers it sounds...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Chinese whispers it sounds...

Way to be racist.

beside the birds that sung those whispers know more about the SU than you or me

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

and he didn't leave a good impression with the SU

His job first and foremost would to leave a good impression with the general student population would it not ??, which he did as first year rep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

But they're the group that votes.

. . . and a small one at that.

mahonykid wrote: »
    His job first and foremost would to leave a good impression with the general student population would it not ??, which he did as first year rep...

yet as I pointed out before if you read the thread. The general student population doesn't vote.
    If he gets elected he pulled of a miracle by getting the general student population to vote.

• Advertisement

In other news in true Soviet style Lorna Bogue Facebook page is being actively censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

In other news in true Soviet style Lorna Bogue Facebook page is being actively censored.

Care to elaborate for the unenlightened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Never discount any candidate until the results are in. To say more would be giving tips and hints!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

He's going the right way about it to get the average Joe Soap to vote for him imo
    That video is probably the best produced election video I have ever seen!
    Loads of people sharing it on my facebook and there not even in UL.
    People will vote for him because of that video alone and they will tell other people to vote for him because of that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Cadroc wrote: »

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23VoteUL&src=hash&f=realtime

• Advertisement

Cadroc wrote: »

A person got in contact with me and informed me that comments s/he posted where remove along with his/her ability to post and like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

bolger has gone viral boys, video has three thousand hits! hope he wins and sticks two fingers up to the canoe club!

How would Bolger winning stick two fingers up to the "canoe club"? This makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SpudWinkle

I'm voting Tommy as of today. As far as I see it, Jester wouldn't give Tommy credit for anything regardless. The video speaks for itself. Obviously walking around talking to uninterested people in the Red Raisin's is having less effect than the video, because he's the candidate everyone is talking about at the moment.
    Furthermore, he was extremely involved in the SU since first year. He was first year rep, organised two balls, has done a load of charity work in the college and is recognised by half the college already.
    Mark is a great candidate, nothing against him but his and Lorna's manifestos seem to be more of the same that goes up every year and nothing changes. I'm totally in favour of a different approach and he seems to be the one who's going to offer it.
    One more point I have is that I see Lorna's idea with the money as being very similar to just saying "if ye vote me in I'll give 15,000 of my own money to the SU". I see where she's coming from, and its a nice idea, but all I see it as is essentially trying to buy votes.

Different approach by having a tissue thin manifesto that took him two extra days to put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SpudWinkle

Different approach by having a tissue thin manifesto that took him two extra days to put out.

Tissue thin? The whole manifesto is based on student involvement instead of the typical useless lip service on these things, and his video has more shares than anything else I've seen the union put out.
    Besides, who cares when the manifesto comes out as long as it's good? I remember last year the manifestos weren't all out on the Monday. If anything it shows he put thought into it.

SpudWinkle wrote: »
    Tissue thin? The whole manifesto is based on student involvement instead of the typical useless lip service on these things, and his video has more shares than anything else I've seen the union put out.
    Besides, who cares when the manifesto comes out as long as it's good? I remember last year the manifestos weren't all out on the Monday. If anything it shows he put thought into it.

LOL
    You're talking about the power point that repeats itself and never explains how he plans on doing anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Can you imagine the piss up bolger is going to throw when he wins on Thursday night. It will be a night for the gods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

Who’s on the ERB this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

Quality not quantity... Jester I think you should retire while you're somewhat ahead...

Vendettas are apparent and give credit where credit is due!

Quality not quantity... Jester I think you should retire while you're somewhat ahead...

Vendettas are apparent and give credit where credit is due!

Quality? LOL
    He repeats himself through out the power point and doesn't lay out any plan of action. Not to mention some of the text boxes are cut to short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MiceAndMen

According to the constitution, the ERB must consist of
    1° One nominee of Student Council;
    2° One nominee of Clubs and Societies Council;
    3° One nominee of Postgraduate Students’ Union
    4° One nominee of Executive;
    5° One Sabbatical Officer not seeking re-election (should no Sabbatical
    Officer qualify, council shall nominate a second representative for
    membership of the Board.)
    Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kelefants

MiceAndMen wrote: »
    According to the constitution, the ERB must consist of
    1° One nominee of Student Council;
    2° One nominee of Clubs and Societies Council;
    3° One nominee of Postgraduate Students’ Union
    4° One nominee of Executive;
    5° One Sabbatical Officer not seeking re-election (should no Sabbatical
    Officer qualify, council shall nominate a second representative for
    membership of the Board.)
    Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

I knew them all yesterday but I'm drawing a blank on anyone but these

2- Andrew Moore
    3- Lily Carrol PSU President
    5- Emma Porter

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

We are clearly the informed 1% on boards.

I'll let Shakey Pier himself say it

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

We keyboard warriors are a dying race, who shall cherish our words? Who shall remember our cries of anguish? Who shall bemoan our insight and prejudice and compassion in decrying people putting themselves forward for election when we happy few are paragons of humanity.

P.S. #VOTE ROD!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Don't have a vote this year but it is always interesting to follow the boards thread at this time of year. But sure since I am not the only one who doesn't have a vote but still has a preference I may as well post my thoughts.

If I had a vote it would go for Mark and Carol.

Nothing against the others but I think Mark is the best out of the three, he will put his all into the job, as well as him being friendly and approachable.
    Lucky for next year that with Lorna and Tommy regardless of who wins, the su will have someone who cares as president but for me Mark comes out ahead.

As for welfare, Carol shows that she cares and would do well in the position and Shane I have never met so don't know anything about him or how well he would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 VoteUL14

President - Mark for the simple fact he is the lesser of three evils tbh. Still SU to the core and I see no changes in the future with getting non SU minded people involved on a larger scale from him.

Welfare - Carol. Organised. Major presence on campus by her team AND herself. Shane's 'team' just seemed to be walking around talking amongst themselves the last two days. Looked unprofessional.

Tommy has most definitely gone viral anyway. Video was posted on her.ie along with an "article".

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Enjoying the Campaigns for ULSU Officers this year? Got questions for your new team? TONIGHT in the Jean Monnet @7pm Each candidate goes head to head answering your questions.

Will the House of Cards stay intact? Will the Wolf of Wall street purr like a kitten or In soviet Russia does the presidential candidate question you?

Is the Welfare race heating up to an epic Dance-Off finale we just dont know people!

Mike Forde will also address the crowd with his information campaign on his plans for the year

Its a bold strategy Cotton let's see if it pays off for him.

See you at hustings tonight
    Chair will be Paddy Buckley

All the best to candidates!
    Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

djnr8 wrote: »
    Tommy has most definitely gone viral anyway. Video was posted on her.ie along with an "article".

I hope for the sake of the university that it wasn't from a Journalism student. I did a better job writing my CSPE action project. I think Tommy has it though.

I hope for the sake of the university that it wasn't from a Journalism student. I did a better job writing my CSPE action project. I think Tommy has it though.

As somebody who studied Journalism I hate the likes of Joe.ie and Her.ie. Admittedly I know the person who wrote the article on Her.ie. But ut seems that video really is making waves

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/12/wolf-of-wall-street-parody-is-this-the-best-student-campaign-video-ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

President- Mork Nother. SU clique to the core but hes the best of the 3. Had my mind made up to vote for Lorna Bogue but her pledge to donate 65% of her salary back to the SU has put me off her.

Welfare- Shane McCormack. I Dont know either of them but im getting a better impression from him

Advertisement