Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2014 (Voting Thursday March 13) #VoteUL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

FYI: Hustings are on in the Jean Monnet tonight at 7pm.

The poster spells it "Monet" but maybe they still want you to come along. It's room DG-016.

It's usually worth taking note both of what people say (often what they're going to do) and what they don't (often how they're going to do it). Being honest, what people don't say is often a lot more interesting as some of the more flighty manifesto items are often the least thought-out with regard to whether or not they're possible. As you won't be able to ask people questions individually, you'll just have to listen for the gaps. If you feel like it, though most people won't.

(edit: I see DoF already mentioned it above, cheers. Still, final paragraph stands)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

sceptre wrote: »
    FYI: Hustings are on in the Jean Monnet tonight at 7pm.

The poster spells it "Monet" but maybe they still want you to come along. It's room DG-016.

Perceptive as always got to change the posters now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

At least the campaign teams are politer than most years, quick "not interested" and they lay off. Makes walking round campus so much easier. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Heard Lorna Bogue got herself in trouble with the ERB. Something to do with inaccurate facts on her campaign literature

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

care to elaborate on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

djnr8 wrote: »
    care to elaborate on that?

Could be related to this http://www.ulsuelect.com/2014/03/11/37/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

or than she is not taking a 65% reduction in pay

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Say what you will, the guy knows how to entertain!

Reminded a bit of Rockett's presidential campaign back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

I have never voted but that lad Tommy puts a bit of personality to the SU and can appeal to the masses, I'll quite likely be voting for him , and I would be taking bets in his favour after making the Guardian.

• Advertisement

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Correct.
    I was voting for her until. I know her quite well but thats just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Haven't seen her all week actually. I saw Tommy one day with the tv setup outside Javas and Nother has been campaigning well, making himself visible about the campus.

Same for the two welfare candidates. Lorna though is like a ghost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

I have never voted but that lad Tommy puts a bit of personality to the SU and can appeal to the masses, I'll quite likely be voting for him , and I would be taking bets in his favour after making the Guardian.

I really wish his manifesto was better because I'd genuinely like to vote for him; I just need something more than "student engagement", "motivating people" and "I worked really hard during Teaching Practice".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Nother currently gets my vote because his canvassers called to the house during an ad-break so I didn't miss any of the match.

Reiver wrote: »
    Haven't seen her all week actually. I saw Tommy one day with the tv setup outside Javas and Nother has been campaigning well, making himself visible about the campus.

Same for the two welfare candidates. Lorna though is like a ghost!

I aaw her sitting at her stand in red raisins today for the first time all week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjgXLouLP7k

Jesus all the debating society has thought her is to talk an awful lot without saying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Has he a contact in Joe.ie I wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

A YouTube comment has made me ask what I was previously thinking. . . did Tommy Bolger pay for views? ? It is fairly possible. . . . (either way I am still voting for him now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Any reports from Hustings?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by paid for views? do you mean he paid a website to clickbait his youtube video, or are you saying he paid someone at Joe.ie and Her.ie to post it ?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Any reports from Hustings?
    Moursy was good for the updates on twitter

Why is Tommy using his name in Irish on Facebook?
    These campaigns cost Ing much I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MiceAndMen

I went into that hustings completely undecided about a lot of what I was going to vote for. It was a fairly open race. A lot got cemented because of it.

Carol had a lot better stage presence than Shane. That's unfortunate, they're both excellent candidates and i would have liked to have seen a debate of equals, but it very clearly wasn't. He had good points, he needed to articulate them better, he didn't, and he kind of drew into himself, whereas Carol was bubbly, herself, communicated well and got her points across much better. People who go to the husts to see the candidates speak concurred, she beat him.

The presidential one was much more interesting. I'd attributed a bit of cannyness to Tommy, but he just seemed completely guileless. Every question tied back to the video, nothing on the manifesto really expanded on, and he seemed confused about what a referendum was at one point. The referendum question from (complicaed mess of people, but finally) Emma really split them, and it gave Mark a chance to slip ahead of the herd when he talked about what the SU is there for. Lorna was pretty dignified and respectable throughout. If you base it on the husts, it's one of the two of them, maybe swinging towards Mark.

bigpink wrote: »
    Why is Tommy using his name in Irish on Facebook?
    These campaigns cost Ing much I wonder

Probably something to do with the fact he's fluent in Irish. Would surprise ya but the chap is genuinely a very intelligent fellow

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SpudWinkle

bigpink wrote: »
    Has he a contact in Joe.ie I wonder

I'm pretty sure Joe picked up the video because it was getting so much attention on Facebook, you'd hardly need a contact to get them to post something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

freyners wrote: »
    Moursy was good for the updates on twitter

Him and Rockett seems underwhelmed by the hustings

Ok
    But not on other stuff tho its nit in English
    Comes across a bit gombeen

Altho breaking the clicqe is good

His name is in Irish on his personal profile so might be just for the sake of continuity.

As for needing a contact to get on Joe/Her.ie, you're having a laugh.

If it's on reddit you can be sure there'll be an "article" about it on Joe.ie shortly afterwards

This will explain it all

http://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/1tvjhk/how_to_be_a_journalist_for_new_media_in_ireland/

• Advertisement

But he why not keep it all irish

Advertisement