Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2014 (Voting Thursday March 13) #VoteUL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

See you at hustings tonight
    Chair will be Paddy Buckley

All the best to candidates!
    Paddy

No Joe Wallace? This is an outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Chair will be Paddy Buckley

Rockett has created his opportunity to return. Inviting former sabbats to chair hustings!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

bigpink wrote: »
    But he why not keep it all irish

How many people do you think could read it if it was?

He could have probably printed double sided leaflets with his manifesto in English on one side and Irish on the Nother but it's all cost at the end of the day for little reward. There was a big deal made 2 years ago about Irish in the union, seen to have gone back into hiding now they have somebody who would probably have an opinion on it

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Rockett has created his opportunity to return. Inviting former sabbats to chair hustings!

Damn...that noticeable was it. :D

Massive thank you to Paddy, Liz and the ERB for their work so far. Looking forward to seeing record numbers vote tomorrow!

djnr8 wrote: »
    He could have probably printed double sided leaflets with his manifesto in English on one side and Irish on the Nother but it's all cost at the end of the day for little reward.

:)

• Advertisement

Voting for your new sabbatical team is LIVE!

You can cast your vote here: https://vote.ulsu.ie/index.php/

Very best of luck to all candidates.

Closing 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Despite my apathy towards it this year voted anyways. Is there any way to get the old i voted stamp?

11AM VOTING COUNT: 1060 for Welfare; 1241 President

Keep it going Campaigners and voters alike!
    Cast your vote here: https://vote.ulsu.ie/index.php/

Best of Luck to all candidates.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

As of 11am 1241 have voted for president and 1060 for welfare. Seems higher than previous years? (Source: SU FB Page)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

bigpink wrote: »
    Why is Tommy using his name in Irish on Facebook?
    These campaigns cost Ing much I wonder

Hes fluent in Irish, also hes studying teaching, alot of teachers change their name to its irish equivilent when going out on TP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

mahonykid wrote: »
    Hes fluent in Irish, also hes studying teaching, alot of teachers change their name to its irish equivilent when going out on TP

Yup, both my wife and sister did it. Stops the kids snooping on Facebook!

2362 president 1975 welfare
    Over 15% of student population have voted . Go teams!!!

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What's the record

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

MC1R is a gene that is responsible, more or less, for people having red hair. It's highly associated with the Irish archetype but is probably slightly more prevalent in people of Scottish heritage.

People with red hair, have through antiquity, been associated with various personality traits, mostly not very flattering. Fiery redheads, short tempered and prone to anger is the most typical sterotype. More recently there has been much stigma associated with this phenotype, "do gingers have souls" a internet meme had a high degree of penetration in popular culture particularly in the western and anglophone parts of the world.

This bias and prejudice has gone a step further with sperm banks having a "no red hair" option for recipients. Of course being an autosomal recessive trait such antics are not really very relevant.

So what has this got to do with SU? Well the West of Ireland (or the mid-west in politico-economio-speak) has a particularly high degree of red heads (con-consanguinity?) and several have ran for SU positions.

The most recent candidate to spring to mind would be Keith 'Ginge' Young, who took his red hair and made it his talisman rather than as a curse. However, despite the most qualified candidate on paper, he was soundly beaten at the polls.

Again why is this relevant to the here and now? Well right now we have three excellent candidates, Caroline 'Carol' Hennessy, Lorna Bogue and Mark Nother
    who could be described as being homozygous for MC1R.

Carol is in a 50:50 race with a Shane McCormick (brown hair) and Lorna and Mark are in a three way race with Tommy Bolger (Brown hair). All things being equal shouldn't we expect at least one of the red heads to win the contest?

Without having any access to any exit polls or current voting trends, I'd be my house that neither of these red haired candidates will win. Lorna, as I have already mentioned, is ideally suited to the SU job and has many qualities that would allow her to excel. I also think Mark NOther is a high calibre candidate, basically having done an internship in SU president thus far and really would be perfect for the role. But I suspect, Tommy B, who is essentially a highly charismatic joke candiate will win. Why? Because of his signature heart thumping? Possibly. But I posit that it is because there is a curse on those with red hair and people, including the irish, are prejudice against them in popularity competitions.

The same goes for Carol and Shane. Now in fairness, this is a very equal content, you really can't put much between them, but again i suspect, shane will prevail because he doesn't have red hair.

wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Russellynx wrote: »
    pointless rant

The possibility is 5/6th's. But that would discount campaigning.

When are the results announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Voting shuts at 1900 and announcement is at 2000 I believe!

And turns out Bolger is now on Buzzfeed! Where next?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dray/this-is-the-most-fantastic-student-president-campa-4666

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

Heard unofficially from a source on the ERB that bulger currently has 60 % of the vote. Shane and Catriona neck and neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Heard unofficially from a source on the ERB that bulger currently has 60 % of the vote. Shane and Catriona neck and neck.

Don't believe the ERB have access to the vote count.

Also it's Carol.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Don't believe the ERB have access to the vote count.

They don't

Incorrect. The ERB can only see the voting counts to date. There are no indications of lead in any of the races.

False information unfortunately.

It is impossible to know until the voting closes at 8

the first time it will be seen is by Liz and the returning officer to verify this.

No members of the ERB know anything more than the numbers voting not their preference.

Its both physically and logistically impossible with our system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

http://www.sensacine.com/noticias/cine/noticia-18517426/

Its looks like Tommy might be able to get an appointment in Spain anyways.

Love how the article slight censored the quote.

VOTE COUNT 6PM: 3611 President 2986 Welfare

4176 is the number to beat from Last year

2hours left -well done all of you.

#VoteUL

Paddy

Around 500 votes off the record

Think they can pull 500 in the last 2 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Impressive figures. Thought it'd be well down on last year if I'm honest.

Bolger surely will win it by a landslide...

Think they can pull 500 in the last 2 hours?

Possible but would require a big push from the runners. The people who would have voted today have already voted. The last 500 or so is going to be make up with people who had no plans on voting or just forgot. The time doesn't help.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Bolger surely will win it by a landslide...

They are relative good turnout figures. I'd imagine higher turnout helps Bolger, but this isn't anywhere near record breaking turnout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

Voted for Tommy and Carol. A few others tried voting and it didn' t work they said? ?

• Advertisement

Polls closed. So how long till the results?

Advertisement