Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2014 (Voting Thursday March 13) #VoteUL

123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

Jester252 wrote: »
    Polls closed. So how long till the results?

830 they say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

At least there will FINALLY be a new Education Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

any update?

Shane and Tommy according to the Twittersphere.

No numbers as of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Both got elected by fairly clear margins

• Advertisement

Russellynx wrote: »

Tommy B, ... will win.

shane will prevail because he doesn't have red hair.

wait and see.

told ya

Thank God the communist regime didn't prevail anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

very quite on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

Big to congratulations Emma, well deserved! ! ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

No numbers up yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Results of the last two years proving international society backing is not sufficient to win elections. Btw fair play to those who put themselves out there to compete for them.

Big to congratulations Emma, well deserved! ! ! :)

wut?

djnr8 wrote: »
    Thank God the communist regime didn't prevail anyway

i suppose what's ironic is that Lorna promised to return a proportion of her salary back to the union (66%?) but I suppose on capitalist terms Bolger wil ldo the same, it's hard to imagine putting any less than 66% of his salary back into the stables. I'd say there will be some parties there next week, international night every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Welfare
    Carol Hennessy- 1095
    Shane McCormack 2182

Pres
    Lorna Bogue 523
    Mark Nother 1229
    Tommy Bolger 2230

Surprised by Shane shutting out Carol. Thought that would be closer

Not surprised by Lorna. Her campaign properly lost her more voters than it gained and her misinformation didn't help

No new record, is this the first year that the number has been down on last year since the on line system started? Who does Tommy owe a fiver to now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Impressive win for Tommy the average joe vote worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I refrain from commenting on live elections, but since this one is over, I'd hazard a guess that campus wide visibility won it for both. As a candidate, forget the courtyard and canteen, all those voters have their minds made up.

Respective well done and commiserations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What do the powers that be think of the result?

I have little to no knowledge of SU stuff and its goings on, but as an observer this year Tommy strikes me as a lad with great craic but far from the right man for the job and I wonder do those that care about the SU feel the same. I've never met the lad though, so there could be plenty of walk behind his talk. But one thing he has done before even donning his throne is place the SU in a student-wide view which is good imo.

This is like something out of Van Wilder where the party guy wins over in spite of the dedicated union folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

As in every election there has to be a winner and a candidate defeated -I don't believe in this... each of you brought something wonderful and inspirational to a student body that was not there before. For president I am inspired by Tommy Bolger ,he told convention to go **** itself and made the campaign about the person he is and how he can be the man to rally behind. Being honest he ran the campaign none of us have ever dared to and I've never been more proud of a candidate. To Mark Nother I am gutted for because he was the Presidential candidate to guide the union forward from the awesome year of Emma Porter watch the space for this man because he has been a pleasure to work with and a true gentleman throughout the campaign. To Lorna I admire your integrity and honest nature towards student it was inspirational.

In Welfare I am saddened by the fact that we could not have each of the candidates in the Union. Caroline Hennessy You are truly the most wonderful caring person I have met and I know you would be the best you could have been in that position. To Shane McCormack you my friend are the most genuine person I have ever met and I have the greatest of confidence in the fact that I could talk to you about anything making you a great welfare officer.

To Mike Forde you are the boss I cannot wait to see what you pull off next year. Im very glad I'm handing over to a person who values the importance of students and loves the engagement as much as me.

To all of you and your campaign teams, thank you for a wonderful week and congratulations all of you for making sure that the union for the next year has great people behind it.

You've made me very proud to be an officer this week and you should be all proud of your campaigns and teams.

What a way to finish a vision I had 4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What do the powers that be think of the result?

Simple answer - it doesn't matter. That's how democracy works.

Congratulations to Tommy, Shane and Mike - best of luck in what I'm sure will be a challenging but fun year ahead.

Commiserations to Lorna, Mark and Carol. As someone who has been in the same position, I understand how difficult it must be to put so much into a campaign to come out empty handed. Despite the result, I hope that you all, like I do, look back on your campaigns as one of the best weeks of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

According to Tommy's twitter feed, he's on the Late Late tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

Jester252 wrote: »
    No new record, is this the first year that the number has been down on last year since the on line system started? Who does Tommy owe a fiver to now?

Last year there were double the candidates in total! I don't think you can accurately compare this years election stats to last years seeing as there were a lot more people running?! It is obvious that the campaigns (Being it of any of the candidates) brought a lot more publicity to the ULSU elections this year and probably influenced the student involvement...

...Its about time you ate your own words Jester and admit that Bolger is now president for ac14/15. Looks like you were wrong about the "lazy Mr.GAA pint drinkers" HA

Last year there were double the candidates in total! I don't think you can accurately compare this years election stats to last years seeing as there were a lot more people running?! It is obvious that the campaigns (Being it of any of the candidates) brought a lot more publicity to the ULSU elections this year and probably influenced the student involvement...

...Its about time you ate your own words Jester and admit that Bolger is now president for ac14/15. Looks like you were wrong about the "lazy Mr.GAA pint drinkers" HA

:rolleyes:

Admit what? I never said Bolder wasn't president

So 5 against 3 is not fair, regardless of the fact that with more candidates the less likely it is to pick up a non allied students vote.

So less compare 3 to 2, namely 2014 welfare election. Care to explain how Shane picked up 48 votes less without the aid of a flash video?

Lets also compare 3 to 3, 2013 welfare election. Care to explain how Caitriona picked up 24 more votes than Tommy without the aid of a flash video?

Also remember that Welfare gets less limelight and less students voting for it.

As for "lazy Mr.GAA pint drinkers", I hope you didn't read the thread because if your trying to lie you better have an apology read.

Mr. GAA, a phrase I didn't coin, describes the average student in UL, judging by the amount of people with local club bags heading home on Friday.I also don't know where you got it in your head that Mr. GAA is negative unless your afraid of your culture.

Explain why, assuming only undergrad voted, only 3982 out of 11,000 voted if the average student took two minutes on his/her computer and voted? You should also not that more students are members of club and soc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

What a way to finish a vision I had 4 years ago.

Was the vision not to run for election in the SU?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

reunion wrote: »
    Was the vision not to run for election in the SU?

No the original vision was to get a rag-tag group of people and go around the country solving mysteries.

I jest! No to be able to walk away from the place knowing I could not do any more or want to for that matter. Delighted to be handing it over to new blood. Fresh Ideas now and a good standing from previous years.

Looking forward to the new team and the things they will accomplish next year.

Advertisement