Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap grow lights

• 07-03-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

Something like this: Led from China

Are they worth bothering with? I'm growing only about a dozen of tomato plants, they're still very small, only the first true leaf coming trough, but because of lack of sun they're tall and spindly. I'm thinking about setting up a small grow light for them and those cheap LEDs caught my eye. Any ideas? Worth bothering with or no?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

69c.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't know about those LEDs but I use a fluorescent light for about a month to get things going. Works a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

redser7 wrote: »
    Don't know about those LEDs but I use a fluorescent light for about a month to get things going. Works a charm.
    which one? could you give me a link? I don't want to invest too much and also don't want to see the esb bill going up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I just have mine on a south facing double glazed window above a radiator and they are doing fine. The trick is to rotate the pots every day so the growth is equal on both sides. If they are already leggy then support them and they will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

j@utis wrote: »
    Something like this: Led from China

Are they worth bothering with? ?

I got two last year to try them out, (May Not be same supplier) waste of time, the light emitted barely covered a seed tray. (No Noticeable difference in Plants)
    And my supplier had no measurements of Lumen, even domestic light bulbs have this measurement on the box.
    Been using fluorescent warm white lights for a while, not totally happy with it they do tend to get leggy.
    Too stingy to buy the "Professional" lamps,

MH lamp - It is for better growing. The more blue spectrum emitted by it can accelerate development of plant at maximum degree.
    HPS lamp - Mainly produces red spectrum which is perfect for germinating, flowering, and fruiting stages. Especially good for leafy plants such as Lettuce and Herb.

• Advertisement

I picked up a twin tube light fixture, 5 foot cool white tubes for about 25 euro at an electrical wholesalers. Works a treat and cheap to run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Those cheapo led E27s are pure shyte and are not meant for growing plants.If you want propper led tray lights for both light and growth then go to an aquariam shop and ask for TMC led light panels.These are used in planted tanks to give tropical fish their daylight and also to give bottom growing plants enough light to grow and maintain their greenery.But they aint cheap to buy around 200 euro for a propper led light tray.If you cant afford that sort of money then buy a red or orange heat lamp in a pet store or diy store for about 20 euro.Set them up on a 24 hour timer plug.
    http://www.zooplus.de/shop/aquaristik/beleuchtung/led_aquariumleuchten

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

redser7 wrote: »
    I picked up a twin tube light fixture, 5 foot cool white tubes for about 25 euro at an electrical wholesalers. Works a treat and cheap to run.
    Hope they arent T5 or T8 54watt tubes,because thats 108 watts and depending how long you have them on for each day you will see your electricity bill rise up.

jpb14 wrote: »
    Hope they arent T5 or T8 54watt tubes,because thats 108 watts and depending how long you have them on for each day you will see your electricity bill rise up.

Only on for 8 hours a day, works out as peanuts.
    I wouldn't go for heat lamp, you'll fry your seedlings. The cool whites run virtually cold and you can have the seedlings almost touching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Oldtree wrote: »
    I just have mine on a south facing double glazed window above a radiator and they are doing fine. The trick is to rotate the pots every day so the growth is equal on both sides. If they are already leggy then support them and they will be fine.
    I know they'll be fine. It's the 3rd year I'm growing my own seedlings. Our house is very warm and my plants are on south facing window. But still when comparing to shop sold stock my turn out very different to those short sturdy plants with dense deep green foliage in the shops :(

thanks for your advice redser7. As I understand it's a simple desk lamp with fluorescent bulbs, right? I would have it on timer too, 4-5hrs a day.

• Advertisement

No, the one I have is 5 foot long. A typical fixture you would see in an office.
    They can be had in different lengths. The deciding factor is how many plants you envisage putting under them. You need to have them approx 2 inches above the plants. So a desk lamp high above the seedlings will not be powerful enough and will cause them to be even more leggy than putting them on a window ledge.

I have it on a timer for 8 hours each day.

Advertisement