Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&S Awards 2014

• 07-03-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Looks like the shortlist for the awards is up! Who do ye think will win?

SHORTLIST FOR THE 2014 CLUBS & SOCS AWARDS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Best Club:
    American Football
    Kayak
    OPC

Best Club Individual:
    Ian Cahill – American Football
    Tadhgh O’Donovan – Men’s Rugby
    Tomás Walshe- OPC

Best New & Improved Club:
    Dance UL
    Men’s Rugby
    Mountain Bike

Best Club Event:
    Karate – Japan Trip
    OPC - Alps Trip
    Kayak – Alps Trip

Best Society:
    Debating Union
    International
    Drama

Best Society Individual:
    Sarah Guerin – Debating Union
    Triona O’Sulivan – International
    Sean Sweeney – Music

Best Society Event:
    Debating Union (National Maidens)
    International Society (International Dance Workshop)
    Law Soc. (Women's Rights Conference)

Best New/Improved Society:
    Music
    Photographic
    Comedy

HUSTINGS ON TUESDAY!!! - READ OVER PAGE 82-83 OF C&S GUIDEBOOK FOR INSTRUCTIONS/TIPS AND GET PRACTICING THOSE PRESENTATIONS!

Bíodh deireadh seachtaine maith!

Michelle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Chavways wrote: »
    Best Club Event:
    Karate – Japan Trip
    OPC - Alps Trip
    Kayak – Alps Trip

What sort of statement does it send when all the shortlisted Club Events are foreign trips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Polar Ice wrote: »
    What sort of statement does it send when all the shortlisted Club Events are foreign trips?

Considering I have seen irish trips being here and winning previously - I don't think it sends much of a message. Looking into it a bit much there I reckon, granted from a logistical and organisational standpoint, international trips usually require more but not always, which is some of the stuff that is looked for. Not to mention having not being able to see the quality of the written nominations, not in any position to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Would love to see Tomás win Club person!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Looks like some strong contenders. Looking forward to seeing what the husts are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Strong contenders although some categories look predicable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Jester252 wrote: »
    Strong contenders although some categories look predicable

Which categories?

I reckon Club Person will be a close three way call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Best Society, Best New/Improved Society, Best Club etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

My thoughts:

Best Club:
    American Football
    Kayak
    OPC

Likely to be OPC, but I'd like to see the Kayak club again - it's been a very good year for these two. I don't think that any club has won two years in a row.

Best Club Individual:
    Tomás Walshe- OPC

Tomás would be my own preference. He's been very good with the OPC this year.

Dance UL
    Men’s Rugby
    Mountain Bike

Should be the Mountain Bikers. This club has started to come out from the shadow of the old club members, and really started to grow properly with more events, more social get togethers, and just all out becoming more welcoming to non-masochists. Danny's done a lot to guide and facilitate this and I would like to see the effort rewarded.

Best Club Event:
    Karate – Japan Trip
    OPC - Alps Trip
    Kayak – Alps Trip

The Kayak trips was an immense success, but I think that the Karate trip may have the edge in this category.

Best Society:
    Debating Union
    International
    Drama

International soc is the 800lb gorrilla in this contest, but they have improved and expanded this year in a good way. Such a good craic group of people - the Friday nights ending up almost victims of their own success!

Best Society Individual:
    Sean Sweeney – Music

This'll probably go to Sean, but Triona would be a very deserving winner if she were to receive this award.

Best Society Event:

To be perfectly honest I haven't heard much of these events, so I cannot have a preference here.

Music
    Photographic
    Comedy

I see Photosoc getting this, but it will be a close call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

My thoughts:

Best Club:
    American Football
    Kayak
    OPC

OPC won in 2004 - 2007; 3 years in a row and 2 years in a row 2009-2011.

No idea here. If american football can give a presentation comparable to OPC/Kayak with a similar work load during the year, they should win it.

Dance UL
    Men’s Rugby
    Mountain Bike

This one is always hard to call (until the presentations) as these are about improved clubs; so really is a comparison in how much they have improved over the last year.

Best Club Event:
    Karate – Japan Trip
    OPC - Alps Trip
    Kayak – Alps Trip

I don't like this at all. There should be a category for best foreign trip at this stage. I do think that it is nearly getting to the stage where going abroad is better than hosting the IV's.

I can't comment on any of these as I didn't go on any of them or hear anything about any of them. I don't want Kayak to win as they won this award for the exact same event in 2004/2005. Granted it will depend on presentations on the day, however, my preference (should all 3 presentations be of equal standard) is to give it to Karate. The OPC and Kayak trips are yearly and have been refined immensely, however Karate go at best once every ~3 years to Japan (also it's significantly more difficult to organise).

Best Society:
    Debating Union
    International
    Drama

International soc, the same as it was 5 years ago and has won 4 out of 5 of the last years. Were they the best society over the last year, I doubt it. Will they win? Yes. Will they have a foreigner saying I came to Ireland and didn't know what you meant about having criac? Yes. Will they say you were at or heard about Friday night in the stables therefor vote for us? Yes.

Best Society Individual:
    Sean Sweeney – Music

Triona

But this always ends up being how well someone presents so I how they have good presentations prepared.

Best Society Event:

I haven't heard about any of these events. That always makes for some great presentations.

Music
    Photographic
    Comedy

Comedy. Comedy really was dead/dying last year. It is so visible right now around campus and has improved the most in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

You could have just said "I can't comment on this" and saved yourself that essay. . . A lot of comments here come across as bitter. . . "like most years" as you lot said yourself. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MonkeyWolf

Music soc was going to be turned to a service after failing to vote in a committee last year. I remember music soc when they won best soc. after that they dropped off the face of the earth, now they are everywhere... I would be very surprised if they don't get it.
    anyone know the details on them and trad and dj soc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

****, music soc are seriously much better off now that they got a full committee this year, Eanna had it last year and he had too much to do and it couldnt get of the ground. They provided so much gear for others societies and we got pa's just asking straight away when we needed them, no ****ing around or disorgansation

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Reunion,

I'm just wondering what your issue with the International Society is? Every year I read the same spiel from you. It's unbecoming of someone who was on Exec to really show his hate for a society, and why? Because they're successful? Because they do so much for their members? What exactly is it you don't like about them? Sorry, this is the third year in a row I've seen you go after them and I'm really curious because from what I've seen they're a damn good Society and well deserving of being shortlisted, and quite possibly winning again this year judging by what I've seen from them. You say they're the same as they were five years ago, but over the last number of years I've seen them grow into a more vibrant society with more to offer. But perhaps I'm not totally blinded by my dislike for them.

My thoughts:

Best Club:
    American Football
    Kayak
    OPC

For me this is a toss up between the powerhouses that are OPC and Kayak. Not sure who I'd pick, but possibly the OPC edge it for me. I'm not sure though I'll wait for the hustings to decide really.

Best Club Individual:
    Tomás Walshe- OPC

Toughest category, they are all highly impressive candidates. I think Tomás edges this one though by a shade. He's done great stuff for the OPC and has been extremely helpful to other clubs and socs with his time. All are very nice guys though!

Dance UL
    Men’s Rugby
    Mountain Bike

Again this is a tough decision for me. Dance UL have done fantastic stuff this year, Men's rugby have really pulled it together this year again and Mountain Bike seem to be really taking shape as well again. I honestly couldn't decide. but possibly Dance UL could take this!

Best Club Event:
    Karate – Japan Trip
    OPC - Alps Trip
    Kayak – Alps Trip

I know nothing of any of these events so will decide on the night.

Best Society:
    Debating Union
    International
    Drama

This is a tough choice for what I think will win and who I think should win. If I go with who I think should win I think International should. I don't think either of the other two societies have come close to touching what they've done. If I go with who I think WILL win it's a different story. There will be people like Reunion who just don't like the International Soc. so will vote for either of the other two. I couldn't choose between them but possibly Drama could take it. I do think International should get it by rights though.

Best Society Individual:
    Sean Sweeney – Music

This is a tough tough call. I think Sean could get this, but Tríona is in with a shout too. Again those anti-internationals will vote for anyone but her and for that reason I think Sean will win. Tríona has been a big name in the college since she started and has done a lot, and would be highly deserving of the award. Sean has reformed Music soc, but resigned from the SoUL week committee leaving it in the lurch. Seemingly the intervarsities were a bit of a joke, but I like sean, think he's done a good job in reviving a dead soc. Either himself or Tríona will win it and I won't be too disappointed either way.

Best Society Event:

Don't know much about any of these. I've heard of them all though so that's a start. I reckon Law Soc. will win this one from what I know though.

Music
    Photographic
    Comedy

People say Comedy have been a brilliant entity this year... I would disagree to a degree. Comedy were incredible last year and I don't feel like it's been built upon. If they had submitted for this last year I think they'd have won it. It's a close call between all three but I don't know if I could call it.. Perhaps Music Soc.?

Polar Ice wrote: »

That the best nominations sent in by clubs were for events which they held abroad. Duh.

Some pretty cool husts overall. Some of them were very entertaining.

And it appears the craft beers in Scholars were cleared out thanks to those drink vouchers!

Reiver wrote: »
    Some pretty cool husts overall. Some of them were very entertaining.

And it appears the craft beers in Scholars were cleared out thanks to those drink vouchers!

How so? ?

I thought Rugby were quite good, always nice to have a bit of humour. And the Kayakers as customary were quite good.

Reiver wrote: »
    I thought Rugby were quite good, always nice to have a bit of humour. And the Kayakers as customary were quite good.

I will take your word for it before the negativity train passes by . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I will take your word for it before the negativity train passes by . . .

CHOO CHOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

483ef0911f5e27073a015b45aee7a288b9c8d3bfa104f8bfe6625572f97cfa52.jpg

• Advertisement

reunion wrote: »
    Best Club Event:
    Karate – Japan Trip
    OPC - Alps Trip
    Kayak – Alps Trip

I don't like this at all. There should be a category for best foreign trip at this stage. I do think that it is nearly getting to the stage where going abroad is better than hosting the IV's.
    In the past ten years, internal events or IVs won this category, and there were only two winners with international trips (both Kayak actually).

Kayak won this last year with the IVs that were hosted in UL, and the Welsh trip between semesters the previous year. I know exactly how much time and effort went into the organisation of the Alps trip that's under discussion for this award, but as you've agreed, Karate will likely have a better chance.
    reunion wrote: »
    I don't want Kayak to win as they won this award for the exact same event in 2004/2005.
    <..>
    Karate go at best once every ~3 years to Japan (also it's significantly more difficult to organise)
    The level of difficulty is not an easy one to compare - there's a difference between getting 12 people on a plane and arranging accommodation on the far side in a different language, and arranging transport and accommodation for 28 people with a need for flexibility given weather conditions. Both have their difficulties that's for sure, I'm not sure that there is a direct comparison. :) The Kayak alps trip 2004/2005 was an amazing trip by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Have my ticket for next Thursday's ball. Anybody know what the story is with seat allocation and what to expect judging by previous years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Skyrim wrote: »
    Have my ticket for next Thursday's ball. Anybody know what the story is with seat allocation and what to expect judging by previous years?

Last year as far as I remember, everyone just goes in and gets tables. I don't think there's any tables allocated but there's always enough space for everyone.

Expect a great night! It being held in Thomand Park will only make it better.

Results I know of so far:

Best Society:
    Debating Union
    International
    Drama

Best Society Individual:
    Sean Sweeney – Music

Best Society Event:

And Triona again for Mike Sadlier award.

Edit:
    Kayak club won both Best Event and Best Club.

Congrats to all recipients and shortlisted- as always, well deserved. Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Mens Rugby won their two, Best New/Improved Club and Best Club Individual Tadgh O Donovan

Advertisement