Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog acting very strange; Looking for things to do

• 07-03-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi. My dog had been acting very strange the past few minutes and as a first time dog owner, I am very nervous. I just saw his head coming out of the bin and I think that he might have swallowed something. This was maybe 20 minutes ago. Now for the last 10 minutes, I feel like he's looking for something to do. I haven't been able to walk him a lot since I got him as he just had his vaccines recently and this week, we had just moved houses. I'm pointing this out to say that him having energy in his body is normal for us and when he does have these urges to get the energy out, he usually finishes after 4-5 minutes. Now he had been crying to get out of the room, crying to get up the couch but when I try to approach him, he tries to bite me(he never does this before), and he is just nonstop. Even when I carry him for a bit he growls at me to let him down. Could this be because of the food he ate if ever there was some that he got from the bin? I really don't know. I couldn't check if he's feeling pain as when I carry him, he wants to bite my hand. The biting is normal for me but he's desiring to do so for a long amount of time now and that has never happened yet. Any suggestions would help. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Now he's looking at me crying a bit. No idea why. He just stopped chasing his tail for about 1 minute straight. Even barking at it, for the first time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is there anything potentially dangerous in the bin? If you're worried he might have ingested something dangerous then I'd call the vet. Better safe than sorry.

If you didn't have the worry of the bin I'd say he sounds bored and needs something to do and some basic training.

Will he accept a treat from you? If he will, you could get started on some simple training exercises. It's fun and a good way to bond and will tire him out. Does he know any cues? (Sit, down etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Whispered wrote: »
    Is there anything potentially dangerous in the bin? If you're worried he might have ingested something dangerous then I'd call the vet. Better safe than sorry.

If you didn't have the worry of the bin I'd say he sounds bored and needs something to do and some basic training.

Will he accept a treat from you? If he will, you could get started on some simple training exercises. It's fun and a good way to bond and will tire him out. Does he know any cues? (Sit, down etc)

We just ate some chicken so there are some chicken bones in the bin. They must be below some tissues but I just don't know if he was able to smell his way through.

I think he's a bit tired now as he as asleep on me now and I felt around him and I was putting a bit of pressure on his stomach and I don't think he's feeling any pain.

I kinda use some of his food as treats and I don't give him his meals straight away. That's kind of when I teach him to sit, go up, go down, etc. So I give him his food bit by bit whenever he does what I say. Sit kinda stuck to him quite well. He also knows that he has to stop when I say no/stay.

I was really nervous because even to these commands he wasn't responding. I am a bit calmer now as he's asleep but I will still monitor him.

Am I right in saying that he wouldn't be able to sleep due to discomfort if he indeed ate some chicken bones from the bin and it's causing him pain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

yep he's sure to be able to smell chicken through the tissue. I don't know though if he'd sleep or not if he was in pain. I think you're right in monitoring him if you're worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Whispered wrote: »
    yep he's sure to be able to smell chicken through the tissue. I don't know though if he'd sleep or not if he was in pain. I think you're right in monitoring him if you're worried.

I woke him up to drink and walk around the house a bit to see how he is and he seems back to normal. He's all calm. I'm not relieved yet until the next 23 hours goes by well. Still quite nervous.

Bins go outside now. Feck that.

Advertisement