Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping USA to Irl

Options
  • 07-03-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

Looking to ship a bulkyish jacket from USA to Ireland. I reckon it weighs about 3lbs. I would like it in a week or 2 no longer. Anybody know what my best bet is in terms of who to ship with? I think fedex will do it for around $100. Does this sound reasonable? Other options? UPS,USPS? are they all much in the same? Might fit into a large flat rate box with USPS..not sure...

Thanks a mill,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The US Postal Service would do it for a lot cheaper than FedEx or UPS would. It should get here in one to two weeks, but the delivery time wouldn't be guaranteed. The only way to guarantee a delivery time frame would be to pay for one of their international priority options. I wouldn't bother going to that expense, unless it must be here by a specific date. Outside of Xmas, parcels would normally get here in 7-14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

USPS is the best way to go. I find most packages get from Philadelphia to Dublin in five days or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Agreed - USPS.

I got a package from San Francisco to Cork in 6 days, which impressed me no end

• Registered Users Posts: 45 powly

thanks guys. just fyi usps did it for under 30 dollars. fingers crossed now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

powly wrote: »
    thanks guys. just fyi usps did it for under 30 dollars. fingers crossed now..

No need to cross fingers, it will arrive, I usually get the three day delivery, which is four days mostly.

Do have the customs duty ready, that's approx 30% overall of your item cost, UPS will deliver unpaid, but will very quickly send to debt collectors.

But UPS are pretty good. If you want it, you WILL get it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Ups is not usps, I doubt there will be customs with usps

Ups is not usps, I doubt there will be customs with usps

Right, I've never had a USPS shipment charged customs duty in Ireland. It seems to happen more with UPS and Fedex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Right, I've never had a USPS shipment charged customs duty in Ireland. It seems to happen more with UPS and Fedex.

USPS now have an international package shipping division, so I suspect there is no more difference.

At one time one could ship via USPS who sent the mail and packages out of the US [to Mexico ??] and it was reshipped from there and it took six to nine weeks ~ I understand [due to theft at the plant] that this is not done anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I had actually just come onto this forum to ask about what the cheapest way to send packages (gifts/clothes/candy/etc) to Ireland. It seems USPS is the cheapest?

jimmay wrote: »
    I had actually just come onto this forum to ask about what the cheapest way to send packages (gifts/clothes/candy/etc) to Ireland. It seems USPS is the cheapest?

Every time I've sent something, USPS is the cheapest. The only cheaper way to get it there is give it to someone flying over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 powly

Ye hit up USPS. took 6 working days. $24.15 + $2.30 for a padded envelope. winner.

Advertisement