Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

tang1 wrote: »
    5.05miles 44mins(8.43min/miles)

Boring run, half way with the wind, half against. Fair play to those who have trained all winter in the wind that was around. My first run in any kind of wind this year & it was tough going against it. Have entered the Maynooth 10k on 18th of May to have a goal to aim for. Goal being get to start line, get through the race in one piece and progress from there.

WTD-5.05miles
    MTD- 42.40miles
    YTD-75.40miles

Hmmm a 10k on a Sunday. This would really suit me. Must check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hmmm a 10k on a Sunday. This would really suit me. Must check it out.

AMK done it last year PM and said it was a decent race, something like 800 done it. Knowing Maynooth a bit and looking at the route on the website its a flat a 10k as you'll find. €20 entry isn't bad either.

No running since Monday, tang junior has a bad virus since Tuesday morning. Vomiting, tempreture and rash on his body. Not been himself at all. Hopefully get out tomorrow & Saturday. On another note, entered the Athlone Half in September. I've entered this the past 2 years since it started, but due to injury have yet to make it to the start line. Determined this year more than ever to put that right, its kind of my home race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Third time lucky ;)

29th March '14

3.5miles 32min 09sec (9.12min/mile)

In a rush to do this and as a result didnt really enjoy it to be honest, just a MEH run all over and nothing really to report from it.

30th March '14

7.01miles 63min 41sec (9.06min/mile)

Felt like c_m after this 7 miles done and dusted by 8am!! Fancied a change of scenery as was getting bit bored with my ususl routes, taken from another thread on the main page i decided to try running along the Royal Canal this morning as its only down the road from me. Started at Longwood Harbour and headed West towards the mother county and Mullingar.

3.5 miles out and same back, glorious place to run, grass trails and gravel roads were the underfoot conditions and made for easy going on the legs and knee. I'll definitely try do this as often as i can, lovely place to do an LSR. 7 miles this morning, i couldn't run 7 yards on 1st of January so i'm very happy with that.

Song of the week- " One to many mornings "- The Chemical Brothers.

WTD-15.56miles
    MTD-47.91miles
    YTD-85.91miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Fancied a change of scenery as was getting bit bored with my ususl routes, taken from another thread on the main page i decided to try running along the Royal Canal this morning as its only down the road from me.

Was reading that thread this week and found some older threads about the Royal Canal on here. I definitely plan on getting a train down to Kilcock or Maynooth and running back to Ashtown and then through the Park and home. Just waiting for the right morning in the summer.

3miles 29mins(9.40min/miles)

Recovery run on the dreadmill, knee has been kind of sore since Saturday mornings run along the canal. Only thing that i can think may have caused it was the grass section i ran was very up and down and bumpy. Bought a foam roller yesterday & using it currently as i pray that United remember how to play football!! Christ the roller is severe.

WTD-3miles
    MTD-3miles
    YTD-88.91miles

3rd April '14

5miles 41min 29sec (8.18min/mile)

Kind of a speed session in my current state of fitness, i did nothing more than try run the 5 miles as hard as i could without stressing the knee. Thankfully the knee was ok, the fitness not so much, found it tough going if i'm honest with myself and was blowing pretty hard come the end of the 5 miles. I'll try this again in a couple of weeks to see if i've improved any. Not up to doing it weekly yet i dont think.

Today

4.75miles 42min 20sec (8.55min/mile)

The pace was to quick on this, but it felt comfortable so i just went with what felt good. Legs sore in spots after yesterdays run. I'm going to try one race a month from May so will sit down over weekend and see what i can do regards rest days from work. Weekend races will be few and far between though with work roster.

Song of the week - The 4th Dimension - "Around the day in 80 worlds"

Best of luck to all Boardsies racing over the weekend, give it socks!!

WTD-12.75miles
    MTD-12.75miles
    YTD-98.66miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Kind of a speed session in my current state of fitness, i did nothing more than try run the 5 miles as hard as i could without stressing the knee. Thankfully the knee was ok, the fitness not so much, found it tough going if i'm honest with myself and was blowing pretty hard come the end of the 5 miles. I'll try this again in a couple of weeks to see if i've improved any. Not up to doing it weekly yet i dont think.
    I did something like this last autumn when I was on my come back. I think I read about it on Thomas' blog (the lad from Kerry), basically every Thursday night for 7 or 8 weeks I'd do 6 miles on the treadmill. 1 warmup, 4 @ appox 152bpm & 1 cooldown. It was amazing to see the pace pickup every week at the same HR, a huge confidence booster at a really sh1tty time! The HR method worked out very well for me, kinda ensures you don't overdo it. In fact I've gone from never wearing the HR strap to never not wearing it now.
    Good luck on your way back!

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    I did something like this last autumn when I was on my come back. I think I read about it on Thomas' blog (the lad from Kerry), basically every Thursday night for 7 or 8 weeks I'd do 6 miles on the treadmill. 1 warmup, 4 @ appox 152bpm & 1 cooldown. It was amazing to see the pace pickup every week at the same HR, a huge confidence booster at a really sh1tty time! The HR method worked out very well for me, kinda ensures you don't overdo it. In fact I've gone from never wearing the HR strap to never not wearing it now.
    Good luck on your way back!

Cheers for the advice neilc, i dont have a HR strap for my watch. I'm more from the Gavlor school of running(nowhere near as good) in i do what feels right at the time and run on feel & instinct more than following a structured plan to the book. Maybe it is that thats contributed to my injuries but its how i always have done things.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Good man tang. Slow and steady does it.

Jaysus, fourth dimension eh, that takes me back. I damn near wore out that over ground cd. I'm letting the inner me off the leash in a couple of weeks for john digweed.....let's call it a cross training session;).

upthe19th wrote: »
    Jaysus, fourth dimension eh, that takes me back. I damn near wore out that over ground cd. I'm letting the inner me off the leash in a couple of weeks for john digweed.....let's call it a cross training session;).

I've searched high & low for there cds but cannot get them anywhere, had my name on both in Abbey Discs but that closed down. Thank god for youtube is all i say. Wheres John Digweed playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I've searched high & low for there cds but cannot get them anywhere, had my name on both in Abbey Discs but that closed down. Thank god for youtube is all i say. Wheres John Digweed playing?

Youtube is the business alright, once you get passed the singing cats and self indulgent musings of muppets.

He's playing in the button factory. 4 hour set. A snip at 25 notes. Doors at eleven.....its going to be a late early one.

5.35miles - 44min 54sec(8.24min/miles)

Itching to get out for this today after looking at Paris this morning and following AMK's superb performance in Manchester later in the morning. I bounced around doing this, best run so far by long stretch since i started again. Hips as loose as a young one from Coolock and no soreness in the knee at all. Just a good day to run. Down home for next few days so will try take in 7-8 miles of the Athlone 3/4 course while i'm here.

WTD-18.15miles
    MTD-18.15miles
    YTD-103.96miles

100 miles broken for the year today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hips as loose as a young one from Coolock

:D
    Hope there are are no young wans from Coolock tuning in:D
    Great running and fantastic to see you getting your mojo back.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    :D
    Hope there are are no young wans from Coolock tuning in:D
    Great running and fantastic to see you getting your mojo back.

Cheers Ososlo, few confidence boosting runs this week, still long way to go though. Doubt the young ones from Coolock would have interest in my log!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Cheers Ososlo, few confidence boosting runs this week, still long way to go though. Doubt the young ones from Coolock would have interest in my log!!

Depends what context you put that in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

Cheers Ososlo, few confidence boosting runs this week, still long way to go though. Doubt the young ones from Coolock would have interest in a hog!!

;)

;)

Defo hate there bacon, that i can guarantee!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

You're making a good running comeback tang...the times are very good for being out so long.

• Advertisement

You're making a good running comeback tang...the times are very good for being out so long.

Thanks, so far so good anyway. I'll keep it easy for next while though dont want to count my chickens. Anytime i do that i get injured.

Monday 7th April '14

8.30miles 72min 34sec(8.45min/mile)

8 and a bit miles around the Athlone 3/4 course, if i'm honest the last mile and a bit were tough going. The legs were tired & i was tired, endurance severely lacking but thats to be expected at the minute. It was my longest run post op to so thats another factor. But oh i did enjoy every step of it to.

Yesterday

3miles 28min 15sec(9.25min/mile)

Recovery run & did i ever need it, it was my third day running in a row in a long time and my legs were stiff and tired. Pace was nice and easy, knee giving out a bit from previous days run but nothing that needs worrying about. Two clear days rest now before my next run on Thursday evening.

WTD-11.30miles
    MTD-29.45miles
    YTD-115.26miles

Thursday 10th April '14

3.20miles 28mins (8.45min/mile)

Was tight for time on this so could only manage the 3miles or so, body felt good and the 2 rest days gave the knee and legs some rest.

Friday 11th April '14

5.50miles 46min 53sec (8.32min/mile)

Nice run early yesterday afternoon, just ran on feel and totally ignored the watch. Legs felt good and my stride has lengthened out so no tightness around the hips, was surprised to see the average mile pace when i finished. Probably a bit quick but it felt effortless, but wont be getting carried away. No running now till next Tuesday due to work circumstances. Have €5 on Bubba Watson at 25/1 to win the Masters, currently looking good.

Song of the week- Sasha- "Xpander"

WTD-20miles
    MTD- 38.15miles
    YTD-123.96miles

Have decided to run the following races this year hopefully, obviously being fit and healthy will be the main factor weather i run or not:

Maynooth 10k 18th May '14
    Kilbride 5k 17th June '14
    Irish Runner 5mile 28th June '14
    Clonmel Half Marathon 17th August '14
    Athlone Half Marathon 13th Sept '14
    *Clonakilty Half Marathon 6th Dec'14

*not 100% decided on this one yet. Will hopefully do other 5/10ks as year goes on, Kinnegad 5k being one but have no date for it yet, but those are the main races i shall be aiming for. Will volunteer to help at Athlone 3/4 marathon also as the race nearly passes my front door down in Westmeath.

Have decided to run the following races this year hopefully, obviously being fit and healthy will be the main factor weather i run or not:

*not 100% decided on this one yet. Will hopefully do other 5/10ks as year goes on, Kinnegad 5k being one but have no date for it yet, but those are the main races i shall be aiming for. Will volunteer to help at Athlone 3/4 marathon also as the race nearly passes my front door down in Westmeath.
    Great stuff. That's all very exciting! You've given me an idea with that Irish Runner 5miler. Might think about that one myself.
    It's great fun shopping for races! As you say, the main thing is getting to the start line in good shape and I really hope that you do.
    Might see you in Kilbride! Need to figure out where it is first:D

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great stuff. That's all very exciting! You've given me an idea with that Irish Runner 5miler. Might think about that one myself.
    It's great fun shopping for races! As you say, the main thing is getting to the start line in good shape and I really hope that you do.
    Might see you in Kilbride! Need to figure out where it is first:D

Between Clonee & Rathoath. I take it your Northside based but if your willing to travel for quick 5k cannot sell Kinnegad enough. Its normally in July or so and a great race, normally of a Wednesday evening. I have no vested interest in the race by the way.

Between Clonee & Rathoath. I take it your Northside based but if your willing to travel for quick 5k cannot sell Kinnegad enough. Its normally in July or so and a great race, normally of a Wednesday evening. I have no vested interest in the race by the way.

Great. I'll definitely keep that one in mind. Yes Northside, Santry so close to motorway. To be honest, I'd travel a long long way for a fast 5k! I like the idea of an evening race too during the summer as I don't cope very well with heat (not that that's likely but you never know!) That's what attracted me to Kilbride, being in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Beer mile is same day as the Irish runner 5 mile :)

Beer mile is same day as the Irish runner 5 mile :)

Ah why you go say that, suppose i could do a 5mile warm up then 1 puke mile!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice plan tang for the year. Will be following!

• Advertisement

Yesterday

4.75miles 41min(8.38min/mile)

This was a bonus run and unplanned, got up to look at London and track the Boardsies doing it, some fantastic results for the likes of Gavlor, RedRunner and TRR. Good run in Rotterdam by wowser to. Anyway into work for 2pm to be told i was resting, stupid new roster:mad::mad:. Home and i kept the Boss happy by doing the garden, got out then for my run in glorious sunshine, everything feeling good. Legs and knee are getting stronger with every run. Lost 2kilos this week which is good.

WTD-24.75miles
    MTD-42.90miles
    YTD-128.71miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Snap.
    I dream of arriving at work and being told to go back home for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That tang fella is a top bloke. Many thanks!

5miles 41min 23 sec(8.16min/mile)

Said i'd try my 5miles hard again tonight, beat running at 3am c_m!! It was much easier than a few weeks ago and my breathing was much more controlled. Theres only 2 secs in the average pace on both runs i know reason being is i didn't want to push any harder tonight as i think i may be getting a touch of shin splints again.

I suffered with this shortly after taking running up and it feels the exact same. I'll do a run tomorrow easy on grass and see how they are, if they are anyway sore or tender at all, it'll be no running again as staying off the feet and not running is the only way to sort them out for me. I'll see how the run goes tomorrow then reassess if i need to lay up or not.

WTD-5miles
    MTD-47.90miles
    YTD-133.91miles

5miles 41min 23 sec(8.16min/mile)

Said i'd try my 5miles hard again tonight, beat running at 3am c_m!! It was much easier than a few weeks ago and my breathing was much more controlled. Theres only 2 secs in the average pace on both runs i know reason being is i didn't want to push any harder tonight as i think i may be getting a touch of shin splints again.

I suffered with this shortly after taking running up and it feels the exact same. I'll do a run tomorrow easy on grass and see how they are, if they are anyway sore or tender at all, it'll be no running again as staying off the feet and not running is the only way to sort them out for me. I'll see how the run goes tomorrow then reassess if i need to lay up or not.

WTD-5miles
    MTD-47.90miles
    YTD-133.91miles
    3a.m is the middle of the night ...... crazy man :eek: :D

Re the shin splints I've gone back over your log and I think your being a bit premature with the long faster paced stuff. I don't think you have enough of an aerobic base yet to be doing it. I know you think it's not that fast relative to the paces you were running before the knee op but you have to take into account all the time you've been off injured so in fact you're back to square one again and you need to be patient.

- Jun 13 - Feb 14: 8 mths no running because of knee op

- Start back running feb: monthly total 33m

- March
    wk 1: 10m
    wk 2: 12m
    wk 3: 15m
    wk 4: 15m
    Total: 52m

- April
    wk 1: 18m incl 5m hard effort
    wk 2: 24m
    wk 3: no easy runs mon/tues and then you belt out 5m hard effort this
    morning

If I was you I would be keeping all my easy runs slower than 9min/mi pace and including a day or two where I ran at recovery pace (10:30). I would start doing strides a couple of days a week to improve form and leg turnover and then in a few weeks start introducing speed work in the form of short repetition stuff because it's less taxing on the body.

3a.m is the middle of the night ...... crazy man :eek: :D

Re the shin splints I've gone back over your log and I think your being a bit premature with the long faster paced stuff. I don't think you have enough of an aerobic base yet to be doing it. I know you think it's not that fast relative to the paces you were running before the knee op but you have to take into account all the time you've been off injured so in fact you're back to square one again and you need to be patient.

- Jun 13 - Feb 14: 8 mths no running because of knee op

- Start back running feb: monthly total 33m

- March
    wk 1: 10m
    wk 2: 12m
    wk 3: 15m
    wk 4: 15m
    Total: 52m

- April
    wk 1: 18m incl 5m hard effort
    wk 2: 24m
    wk 3: no easy runs mon/tues and then you belt out 5m hard effort this
    morning

If I was you I would be keeping all my easy runs slower than 9min/mi pace and including a day or two where I ran at recovery pace (10:30). I would start doing strides a couple of days a week to improve form and leg turnover and then in a few weeks start introducing speed work in the form of short repetition stuff because it's less taxing on the body.

Your spot on, i am trying to do to much to soon. The pace of my runs has been creeping up the past few weeks and just cause it feels comfortable to me doesn't mean its doing me any good.I wont be trying anything to taxing pace wise till maybe after the 10k in May, i'll be running that as hard as i can to give me an indication then where i'm at. Its not a goal race or anything, its just i'm mad to do a race. I'll be keeping the runs no quicker than 9min/mile pace from now on.

Your spot on, i am trying to do to much to soon. The pace of my runs has been creeping up the past few weeks and just cause it feels comfortable to me doesn't mean its doing me any good.I wont be trying anything to taxing pace wise till maybe after the 10k in May, i'll be running that as hard as i can to give me an indication then where i'm at. Its not a goal race or anything, its just i'm mad to do a race. I'll be keeping the runs no quicker than 9min/mile pace from now on.
    Cool sorry for the lecture :D

Cool sorry for the lecture :D

Ah no fairplay for saying it, i probably would have ploughed on at the faster paces and ended up doing damage even though i knew it was wrong. Hearing it from somebody else makes you listen a bit more.

Yesterday

3miles 28min 47sec(9.39min/mile)

Didn't get to do this as hoped on grass so had to make do with the treadmill in work, shins were fine thankfully no pain or discomfort coming from them. Have ordered a new pair of runners for myself, have moved away from the racers (i ran in nothing else for past year or so) as it may be causing some of the injury issues i have been experiencing.

Hope to get out for 7miles or so tomorrow, will visit the Royal Canal again and run in the opposite direction i ran the last time. Off work Sunday so hope to go look at the Fr Murphy 5mile in Kildalkey, ran my 5mile pb here last year and it was great race.

WTD-8miles
    MTD-50.90miles
    YTD-136.91miles

• Advertisement

8miles 72min 51sec(9.06min/miles)

After a dressing down and reality check the other day i headed out making sure the pace was north of 9min/miles. Headed for the Royal Canal and started out from Longwood Harbour. Headed East this time for Enfield. The surface again was a mixture of gravel roads and grass. Just over mile out i passed by Ribbontail Bridge, one of the few purpose built footbridges still left standing along the canal.

Another mile along i came to Fureys Pub along the old N4, here i had to cross the busy road to get back onto the canal path. This section was the worst underfoot with a lot of tree roots breaking the ground and the trail was at a slant towards the canal which made balance awkward in spots. It was also the nicest part to run scenery wise with trees hanging over the canal. The trail widened as i approached another bridge.

I crossed another road here and seen 3.5miles on the watch said i'd do another half mile and turn back for home. The half mile brought me to the Blackwater Aquaduct over the canal and my turnaround point. Another 4miles and i was back at Longwood Harbour. Running wise i felt comfortable throughout and the heat thankfully didn't affect me. Below are a few photos i took from start to finish on my run.

WTD-16miles
    MTD-58.90miles
    YTD-144.91miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tang,

FYP, your photos are making my stuff look shoddy :)

TbL

Tang,

FYP, your photos are making my stuff look shoddy :)

TbL

Your the king when it comes to the photos TbL, such a nice day i brought the phone to take a few photos.

The canal is a great route for a run but I've never been on that section, looked like a great day for it.

TbL

The canal is a great route for a run but I've never been on that section, looked like a great day for it.

TbL

It'll be something i'll be making more use of for sure, the surface thankfully i've met so far on it is all runnable. It beats the monotony of the road. It was glorious day my way alright.

Monday 21st April '14

4miles 36min 58sec(9.14min/mile)

Done this before work, it was a glorious morning for a run. Run wise everything feeling good, the niggles i experienced a month or so ago appear to have ironed themselves out thankfully. Spent the afternoon directing traffic at Fairyhouse for the Grand National, serious crowd there which was great to see.

Today

5.05miles 45min 28sec(9.00min/mile)

Man it was warm in the Royal county today, i normally sweat heavily while running but today was like i showered mid run and never dried myself. Not complaining long may the weather last. Knee bit creaky today after the run, iced it through the afternoon to be safe, feels ok now.

WTD-9.05miles
    MTD-57.95miles
    YTD-153.96miles

• Advertisement

Friday 25th April '14

4.5miles 40min 53secs(9.05min/miles)

A meh run, nothing really to report from it.

Today

7.5miles 68min 44sec(9.10min/mile)

My LSR for the week, out at 4.30pm this afternoon for this in the worst of this 'heat' thing we're experiencing at the minute. Couldn't get out earlier as the Boss is studying at the minute and i was taking care of the wee lad.Had enough salt on my face when i finished to keep a chipper going for an evening!! The PF is back in my right foot to, been rolling the sole with a tennis ball 3 times a day for past week and it seems to be helping it. Running wise, the legs are good and the breathing is strong to. Will be running tomorrow & Tuesday as i'm working nights next weekend and want to get my LSR done before that.

Song of the week - Joy Division "Love will tear us apart"

WTD-21.05miles
    MTD-69.95miles
    YTD-165.96miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Friday 25th April '14

4.5miles 40min 53secs(9.05min/miles)

A meh run, nothing really to report from it.

Today

7.5miles 68min 44sec(9.10min/mile)

My LSR for the week, out at 4.30pm this afternoon for this in the worst of this 'heat' thing we're experiencing at the minute. Couldn't get out earlier as the Boss is studying at the minute and i was taking care of the wee lad.Had enough salt on my face when i finished to keep a chipper going for an evening!! The PF is back in my right foot to, been rolling the sole with a tennis ball 3 times a day for past week and it seems to be helping it. Running wise, the legs are good and the breathing is strong to. Will be running tomorrow & Tuesday as i'm working nights next weekend and want to get my LSR done before that.

Song of the week - Joy Division "Love will tear us apart"

WTD-21.05miles
    MTD-69.95miles
    YTD-165.96miles

A top choice for song of week !!

I think the salt supply to chippers was trebled with the heat today.

Tang,

1. Try putting a golf ball in the freezer for a couple of hours and use it instead of the tennis ball, I found it much better.

2. Try Joy Divisions, "No Love Lost" from the album Warsaw, I found it much better :)

TbL

Tang,

1. Try putting a golf ball in the freezer for a couple of hours and use it instead of the tennis ball, I found it much better.

2. Try Joy Divisions, "No Love Lost" from the album Warsaw, I found it much better :)

TbL

Cant hack the golf ball, tried it already & just cant cope with the pain(big blouse i know).

Monday 28th April '14

3.5miles 33min 03sec(9.27min/mile)

Recovery run & hungover run, glad i did it though cleared the head. Wore the new runners doing this and although there a bit heavier than what i've been used to for the past while, but they felt good and really bouncy which i like. Weighed myself and i'm the right side of 14stone for the first time in a long time which i'm happy with.

Today

38km spin on the bike around Enfield, Johnstownbridge, Donadea, Newtown and back home. Theres a climb at Newtown for about 2km which was a nice lung buster, its ever so gradual and tests the legs. My barse is killing me though now, only my second time out this year. Met 7 cyclists while i was out, put my hand up and said hello to every one. Not one hello or hand up back, runners are far more friendly.

WTD-3.5miles
    MTD-73.45miles
    YTD-168.46miles

• Advertisement
Advertisement