Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yeah but you had that look that your profession has............you know the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Today

6.05miles(including 5 x 160metre strides) 50min 59sec(8.26min/mile)

I was apprehensive to be honest before doing this this evening, last time my legs have ran at any kind of speed was nearly 12 months ago. I was nervous about how the knee would hold up doing them. Last year i would have done strides at 5k pace, i haven't a rashers what my current 5k pace is so i set out and told myself to run them at between 80-90% of current effort.

Chose as flat a route as i can where i live to run them, first few felt strange to be honest, but as i got through them they felt good. No discomfort in the knee thankfully either. Looked at the watch on the last one which i pushed the hardest and seen the pace on the Garmin at 7.0x pace. Long time since i seen that!!

WTD- 9.55miles
    MTD-79.50miles
    YTD-174.51miles

Yeah but you had that look that your profession has............you know the one.

Suppose we are an unfriendly looking shower. Didn't help that i stopped each cyclist and checked the thread depth on there tyres either.

Yesterday

5miles 40min 22sec(8.04min/mile)

Was in a rush to get this done so the pace is faster than it should, truth be told it was comfortable and easy. Wont get the mileage done that i wanted to this week, but 4 runs and a near 40k cycle is progress in the right direction. Get 4miles done later at stupid o clock on the treadmill in work.

WTD-14.55miles
    MTD-5miles
    YTD-179.41miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Looks like the mojo is well and truly on the way back tang! Great running lately.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Looks like the mojo is well and truly on the way back tang! Great running lately.

Cheers Ososlo, things are improving alright. Still bit apprehensive about the knee, dont know how it will hold up under a sustained period of fast running.

tang1 wrote: »
    Cheers Ososlo, things are improving alright. Still bit apprehensive about the knee, dont know how it will hold up under a sustained period of fast running.

Easy does it so... plenty of recovery paced running between the faster efforts. Must be hard for someone like yourself who's naturally faster having to hold back on the pace all the time because of the knee worries. I'd be grand just plodding along like :rolleyes: but I can see how you must get frustrated not being able to run at your naturally faster pace. Seems like you're managing it well though.

Easy does it so... plenty of recovery paced running between the faster efforts. Must be hard for someone like yourself who's naturally faster having to hold back on the pace all the time because of the knee worries. I'd be grand just plodding along like :rolleyes: but I can see how you must get frustrated not being able to run at your naturally faster pace. Seems like you're managing it well though.

Dont know about naturally fast bit, quicker than some maybe. I know running at slower paces will stand to me in the long run, it'll strengthen the knee up for me.

It aint frustrating in the slightest, no more than yourself i love running and being able to do it again is brilliant. The 9 months or so out was the frustrating bit. Your more than a plodder to, i read your log!!

Dont know about naturally fast bit, quicker than some maybe. I know running at slower paces will stand to me in the long run, it'll strengthen the knee up for me.

It aint frustrating in the slightest, no more than yourself i love running and being able to do it again is brilliant. The 9 months or so out was the frustrating bit. Your more than a plodder to, i read your log!!

Exactly :D
    Thanks about the other bit. Getting there.... slowly... but do plod a lot of the time but I guess one has to plod a lot to be able to do the faster stuff when required.

Today

6miles 52min 40sec(8.46min/mile)

No 4mile run last nite, from minute i got in last night at 9pm till i left this morning at 7am i never got one second to spare. Crazy night work wise, to be honest felt tired running today. I only average 3-4 hrs sleep when working nights so that doesn't help energy wise really.

May Goals:
    1. Increase mileage up to 30miles a week range.
    2. Run and complete Maynooth 10km.

Should be do-able to be honest, ain't making lofty goals yet cause i know i wont achieve them.

WTD-6miles
    MTD-11miles
    YTD-185.41miles

• Advertisement

Hey tang
    just to let you know that Kilbride is definitely chip timed. I got an email about it today.

Hey tang
    just to let you know that Kilbride is definitely chip timed. I got an email about it today.

Cheers for that, excellent job with the mentoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just catching up here... Looks like we are on par at the moment! Big milestone for me is to get over 20 miles! Keep plugging away!

blockic wrote: »
    Just catching up here... Looks like we are on par at the moment! Big milestone for me is to get over 20 miles! Keep plugging away!

Cheers J, hope things are going well in Chicago for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi tang, just found your log - glad things are holding up and that you've slowed down a good bit after C_M mentioned it. Best of luck with the preps for the race. Easy does it now!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi tang, just found your log - glad things are holding up and that you've slowed down a good bit after C_M mentioned it. Best of luck with the preps for the race. Easy does it now!

Cheers Murph_D, shes a rock of sense is career_move, fair play to her. Best of luck with Terenure & Berlin long-term.

Tuesday 6th May '14

5.10miles 46min 06sec(9.03min/mile)

Easy paced run, just keeping the legs ticking over. Knee feeling stronger with every run.

Thursday 8th May '14

28.06km on the bike in 60mins, had only an hour to get out on the bike before picking tang1 junior up from playschool. Pushed this hard, quads could feel it after.

Friday 9th May '14

6.05miles 54min 37sec(9.02min/mile)

Legs tired and felt the previous days cycle, kept the pace easy again as a result. Right hammer felt a little tight & niggly.

Today

5.10miles(including 5 x 160metre strides) 41min 35sec(8.10min/mile)

Wanted to try something kind of fast before the Maynooth 10k next Sunday so decided i'd incorporate some strides into todays run. Again i ran these on feel and just checked the pace on the watch at the end of each one, they worked out as follows:

1. 160m @ 5.59min/mile avg
    2. 160m @ 6.02min/mile avg
    3. 160m @ 5.56min/mile avg
    4. 160m @ 6.03min/mile avg
    5. 160m @ 5.54min/mile avg

Happy with how these went and the good thing is the knee didn't react in anyway towards them. Maybe bit on the fast side some of them as i said i ran them by feel and only checked the watch when i was near completing them. Nervous as fook about the 10k next week if i'm honest!!

Song of the week - The Who - 'Real Good Looking Boy'

WTD-22.25miles
    MTD-27.25miles
    YTD-201.66miles

Have you a target time in mind for Maynooth tang?

Have you a target time in mind for Maynooth tang?

Have sub 50 mins in my head, but in all honesty i have zero speed work in the legs and i dont know how long they will hold up under 6.2miles of hard running. I could well be kidding myself even considering that time. Lets say dream result is breaking 50mins.

• Advertisement

Have sub 50 mins in my head, but in all honesty i have zero speed work in the legs and i dont know how long they will hold up under 6.2miles of hard running. I could well be kidding myself even considering that time. Lets say dream result is breaking 50mins.

Great stuff. Really hope you get that result. It'll be a good test anyways to see where you stand.

Great stuff. Really hope you get that result. It'll be a good test anyways to see where you stand.

Cheers, it'll give me a good idea where i'm at alright and what i need to concentrate on after.

Cheers, it'll give me a good idea where i'm at alright and what i need to concentrate on after.

I'd say you might just surprise yourself on the day;)

Today

7.5miles 65min 26sec(8.44min/mile)

Easy running this week before Sunday, legs little stiff starting out from the strides on Sunday gone, they loosened out after a mile or so and were grand for rest of the run. Warm out so much so that my young lad asked did i 'wee' myself out running, shorts were soaked through. Two more easy runs this week left before the race

WTD-7.5miles
    MTD-34.25miles
    YTD-209.16miles

Today

5miles 44min 12sec(8.50min/mile)

Another belter of a day, ran this with just a singlet on, legs feeling good and no niggles to report thankfully. Will run 3 very easy miles tomorrow as i have always liked to run the day before a race. Best of luck to all Boardsies racing at the weekend, hope ye all have good races and get the times you are chasing.

WTD-12.50miles
    MTD-39.25miles
    YTD-214.16miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck to you for Sunday Tang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

All the best for Sunday

Hear hear. Have a good one. D

Today

5miles 44min 12sec(8.50min/mile)

Another belter of a day, ran this with just a singlet on,
    I'd pop the shorts on too for the race ;)
    Have a good one tang. Excited to see how you'll do.

Today

3.01miles 28min 04sec(9.21min/mile)

Spent the morning doing some cross training, jumping, climbing, short sprints, rolling around after tang junior in Tayto Park. Oh to be a young lad again, we had to make do with round bales and trees as a kid. Anyway three recovery miles this evening to loosen the legs out before the morning.

WTD- 15.51miles
    MTD- 42.26miles
    YTD- 217.17miles

The reward for racing tomorrow will 3 bottles each of these bad boys sometime tomorrow evening:

Today

3.01miles 28min 04sec(9.21min/mile)

Spent the morning doing some cross training, jumping, climbing, short sprints, rolling around after tang junior in Tayto Park. Oh to be a young lad again, we had to make do with round bales and trees as a kid. Anyway three recovery miles this evening to loosen the legs out before the morning.

WTD- 15.51miles
    MTD- 42.26miles
    YTD- 217.17miles

The reward for racing tomorrow will 3 bottles each of these bad boys sometime tomorrow evening:

Should be an interesting race report after the 9 bottles of beer:D

• Advertisement

Should be an interesting race report after the 9 bottles of beer:D

Ah it'll be done midway through the 9 bottles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow Tang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good luck tomorrow Tang, give it welly!

TbL

Hope it went well for you today tang!

Quit posting in other peoples logs and give us an update !!!!!!! ;)

Quit posting in other peoples logs and give us an update !!!!!!! ;)

I'm only working off a phone at the min, will do race report when i get home. 46min 35sec race time, sub50 goal achieved.

I'm only working off a phone at the min, will do race report when i get home. 46min 35sec race time, sub50 goal achieved.

Nice one ! More like smashed mate !

Am on phone myself so am in same boat - race reports later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Jaysus that was tight for the sub 50:D. Seriously, great run, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Tang, you obviously gave it serious welly!

TbL

Today

Maynooth 10km 46min 35secs(7.29min/mile) 96th out of 487.

Pre-race:
    I had zero idea what i was capable of going into this. I checked my race diary last night from 2013 and the last race i ran was 26th of May last year and all i had done since was easy running since returning from knee surgery last June. I set a loose target of 50mins which is near 8min/mile for the race, i hadn't even come close to this pace on any of my runs leading up to the race so i had no clue if i could hold that pace for 6.2miles. Registered on Saturday afternoon post Tayto Park to save rushing this morning.

Race:
    Got to Maynooth and was parked at 9.50am, was fixing my race number to my t-shirt and noticed davemcmahon(good to see you again) walking through the carpark after registering. Had a few words with him and headed for race start, was passing Manor Mills SC when i heard somebody call my name. Looked around and seen this svelte race machine approaching in a go fast MSB singlet it was the legend AMK(good to see you to again to). We jogged on a bit and were joined by davemcmahon, ran towards race start and i left the lads off to do a warm up. Went and done my own and bumped into the lads again, we made our way back to the start line and done a bit of stretching. We were called to race start, i started well back, did not want to be getting in anybodys way. DJ Carey pucked the ball and we were off.
    I kept it handy at the start but as per usual people started in the wrong place, the first few k are ran in grounds of St Patricks College and are flat and twisty. Went through mile 1 in 7.53, time in the bank, we exited the college and headed up Main St in Maynooth where there was decent support from people. I was passing people all the time, not once during the race was i passed actually. Second mile logged in 7.33, to much of a jump in pace, had i over cooked things?? The race headed out of the town then towards Leixlip, again passing loads of fellow racers, mile 3 7.23, a ten second increase. I was felling good so kept the pace at this level, just passed the entrance to Carton House passed AMK running the opposite way towards finish, gave him a quick shout to keep it going. Few hundred yards later seen davemcmahon, gave him some words of encouragement to. Seeing other racers you know gives you a lift i think.

Mile 4 was ran in 7.12, i was still feeling good and had made the turn around for home, still passing racers. I was targeting people ahead of me to try and catch to take the mind off the pace. Turned into Carton House, i knew the avenue was bumpy here as i had palyed golf here a few times. Still picking people off, mile 5 was done in 7.06, i was still feeling good. The bumpy avenue was taking its toll on a few, i got a sudden dart of pain up my right calf. WTF did you come out of:mad::mad:. Down bit of a hill and turned left onto a gravel path, was trying to ignore the pain in my calf, it was like i had just been shot. Pushed on and crossed the road onto the final straight. Man i was hurting now, calf sore, breathing like a 40 a day fag smoker. Mile 6 beeped, 7.10, slower than the previous one, dont care, finish line please hurry up:(. Pulled alongside another runner with 200 metres or so to go, he looked at me, i looked at him. We both kicked, in my head i looked like Eamon Couglan winning his world title in 1983:D:D. I'm sure it looked more like two fat 30 somethings trying to sprint, i got the better of him and my race was done, 0.2 in 6,28.

I was glad it was done to be honest, my calf was burning at this point and dont think it could have taken anymore. Met AMK and davemcmahon and shared a few words about our races, the lads were bit pi$$ed off with there races, i think they both ran graet races given the hands they were dealt.

Post-race:
    I'm delighted to be honest with my time, its over 5 and half mins off my PB, but today was not about that, it was about running a race again, meeting other fellow runners, feeling the butterflies in my stomach at the start, running against other people, running for MYSELF. Sorry if the report was long for a 10k, just be glad i'm not running a marathon this year. Thanks for the messages of support and good wishes after the race lads. Now where are those bottles of IPA:D:D:D:D:D

Days total:7.60miles

WTD-23.11miles
    MTD-49.86miles
    YTD-224.77miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super stuff Barry. Delighted it went so well for you :D

Make sure you look after that calf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Must feel great to have a race under the belt after such a long layoff. No mention of the knee so assume that's fine. Hopefully the calf is a minor thing and will sort itself over next few days.
    Good confidence boost on the road back to your former glory. Well done.

Delighted for you tang:D
    You'll be back to where you were before you know it. Enjoy those well deserved beers:D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Must feel great to have a race under the belt after such a long layoff. No mention of the knee so assume that's fine. Hopefully the calf is a minor thing and will sort itself over next few days.
    Good confidence boost on the road back to your former glory. Well done.

Cheers RR, knee never came into the equation thankfully.

Super stuff Barry. Delighted it went so well for you :D

Make sure you look after that calf ;)

Thanks Kate, your wise words few weeks back were big help, thank you.

Delighted for you tang:D
    You'll be back to where you were before you know it. Enjoy those well deserved beers:D

Thanks Ososlo, it'll be the last few for long time so i plan to make the best of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice one... Don't quit the sauce though, it keeps people sane ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good stuff tang. Sounded pretty comfortable. Much more room for improvement I'd say. Well done.

Well run. The calf strain (or whatever it was) didn't slow you too much! Welcome back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

super report - the fact that you could shout at me means you weren't running hard enough.

And by 'svelte' are you saying it was tight?? :)

Advertisement