Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nice running Tang - hope the calf is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

super report - the fact that you could shout at me means you weren't running hard enough.

And by 'svelte' are you saying it was tight?? :)

'Svelte' as in you should be fatter for a man approaching 50!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

tang1 wrote: »
    'Svelte' as in you should be fatter for a man approaching 50!!!

Good man tang - meant to say, you looked good for a guy who's been out for a while.

Nice to meet you and your gang today.

And btw, your doing yourself an injustice, your time was 46:07

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wow that was pretty much the perfect race( until the calf issue). Im very jealous of that time:) Enjoy the beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done again Tang, delighted for you, the hard work is paying off.

I've gone off you a bit though, as I see you play golf :)

TbL

• Advertisement

I've gone off you a bit though, as I see you play golf :)

TbL

Used to, 1 round in two yrs doesn't make much of a golfer TbL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Great running. Well done. So you set out aiming for around 8 min miles and instead you finish with sub 7:30 pace and a top 100 finish. Hope the calf is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done tang!

Just catching up on logs....you have a place to kick on from now as you know where you are...something that running easy week in week out doesn't give you! I know it well.

I think this sums it up nicely
    but today was not about that, it was about running a race again, meeting other fellow runners, feeling the butterflies in my stomach at the start, running against other people, running for MYSELF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Was away playing golf for the weekend so only catching up on your log now..... Great race and report. Congrats!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Was away playing golf for the weekend so only catching up on your log now..... Great race and report. Congrats!

See post #156 above FBOT, I wouldn't have had you down as a golfer!!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

How are the legs feeling now??

It must be a great psychological boost for you having got thru it in one piece

Gavlor wrote: »
    How are the legs feeling now??

It must be a great psychological boost for you having got thru it in one piece

There in ribbons to be honest, but that was to be expected i suppose. It was big boost to get through it alright mainly because i had no issues or pain in my knee doing it. Wont be getting carried away but its a step in the right direction anyway. Think i'll ignore your advice on the sauce being a valuable training aid though, beer makes me fat, cant run fast being fat!!!

Today

4.50miles 41min 09sec(9.09min/mile)

See post above re legs. Was to sore and to hungover to anything yesterday, legs loosened out a bit doing this but not much. Done good 20mins of stretching afterwards and it seems to have helped them a bit. My right calf isn't as sore as it was Sunday evening thankfully and hopefully its something i can run off. Taking a break from alcohol for 5-6 weeks to, my help with a bit of weight loss.

WTD-4.50miles
    MTD-55.36miles
    YTD-230.27miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

BOOOORRRRIIINNNGGGG!

Anyone can run faster if they cut out the beer, what's the challenge in that?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

See post #156 above FBOT, I wouldn't have had you down as a golfer!!

TbL

Saw it;)

Tuesday

5miles 46min 05sec(9.13min/mile)

Legs still bit stiff from the race, just an easy paced run to loosen them out which seemed to work. Calf feeling much better to.

Friday

8.60miles 1hr 13min 46sec(8.35min/mile)

Done this in the lashing rain, was soaked through when i finished but enjoyed every step of it. Legs feeling better and not as stiff thankfully.

Sunday

6.05miles 52min 01sec(8.35min/mile)

Another easy run, legs fully recovered and a bit more bounce in my step. Had a crazy week work wise and did well to get out 4 times this week. Experienced something this week that i had not encountered in 13 years in my job, i hope i never have to experience it again as long as work at what i do.

Song of the week - Ian Brown 'Keep what ya got'

WTD-24.15miles
    MTD-75.01miles
    YTD-249.92miles

Monday

3.5miles 31min 45sec(9.04min/mile)

Recovery run, in the lashings of rain. Something weirdly nice about running in the rain. Think the right calf has cleared up, zero pain or niggle in it this evening.

Tuesday

8.15miles 70min 34sec(8.40min/mile)

Irish weather is crazy, from the buckets of rain less than 12 hrs before to scorching heat. Nice run around a hilly route, plenty of ups & downs to see how the knee held up. Thankfully experienced no issues, have been looking into joining a club lately and have 2-3 clubs in mind. Got a contact number for the club i favoured joining and rang to see what the lay of the land was with it, conversation went as so:

Me - "Hello my name is ???????, i'm interested in joining your club"
    Club - "Well we dont really want new members, but if you want to join i cant really stop you"

Wont be joining there anyway!! I'm off work till next Monday so hopefully get some decent runs in over next few days. Have volunteered to marshall at a road race Sunday
    afternoon to.

WTD-11.65miles
    MTD-86.66miles
    YTD-261.57miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thankfully experienced no issues, have been looking into joining a club lately and have 2-3 clubs in mind. Got a contact number for the club i favoured joining and rang to see what the lay of the land was with it, conversation went as so:

Club - "Well we dont really want new members, but if you want to join i cant really stop you"

:eek: Wow! Hope you have more luck with the next one!

Ososlo wrote: »
    :eek: Wow! Hope you have more luck with the next one!

I wasn't looking for the red carpet to join but a bit of enthusiasm wouldn't have hurt in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Jeez, that's pretty shocking. I hope it wasn't my club?

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Jeez, that's pretty shocking. I hope it wasn't my club?

100% wasnt the Shamrocks RR, i was shocked myself cause there a reputable club as it goes.

Monday

3.5miles 31min 45sec(9.04min/mile)

Recovery run, in the lashings of rain. Something weirdly nice about running in the rain. Think the right calf has cleared up, zero pain or niggle in it this evening.

Tuesday

8.15miles 70min 34sec(8.40min/mile)

Irish weather is crazy, from the buckets of rain less than 12 hrs before to scorching heat. Nice run around a hilly route, plenty of ups & downs to see how the knee held up. Thankfully experienced no issues, have been looking into joining a club lately and have 2-3 clubs in mind. Got a contact number for the club i favoured joining and rang to see what the lay of the land was with it, conversation went as so:

Wont be joining there anyway!! I'm off work till next Monday so hopefully get some decent runs in over next few days. Have volunteered to marshall at a road race Sunday
    afternoon to.

WTD-11.65miles
    MTD-86.66miles
    YTD-261.57miles
    Maybe the person that answered the phone was nt from the club at all?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Maybe the person that answered the phone was nt from the club at all?

They were, they gave there name to me and they hold a high up position in the club concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sounds like you are better staying away from a club with that attitude!

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Sounds like you are better staying away from a club with that attitude!

Lets just say i'm looking at other clubs still!

They were, they gave there name to me and they hold a high up position in the club concerned.

Jes with that attitude you are better off without them, their loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's shocking. Amazed at that attitude.

That's shocking. Amazed at that attitude.

It was pretty lousy all right, had whole load of questions to ask about training/group runs etc but just said i'd get back to him on it.

It was pretty lousy all right, had whole load of questions to ask about training/group runs etc but just said i'd get back to him on it.

report it! Surely it has to be against some kind of law to be so ignorant :D

• Advertisement

Friday

5miles 43min 48sec(8.45min/mile)

Another easy run, most comfortable run i have had post injury, i just bounced along doing this and the legs felt good. This is what running used to feel like:D:D

Saturday

7.50miles 61min 47sec(8.14min/mile including 6 x 160metre strides)

Warm doing this, being follicly challenged gives me no barrier to stop the sweat rolling into my eyes. Again the legs were good and felt strong doing the strides which were as follows:

1. 160m @ 5.25min/mile
    2. 160m @ 5.22min/mile
    3. 160m @ 5.23min/mile
    4. 160m @ 5.25min/mile
    5. 160m @ 5.25min/mile
    6. 160m @ 5.22min/mile

Happy with these, pace fairly consistent, tried building the pace as the stride went on rather than going all out from the start.

WTD-24.15miles
    MTD-99.16miles
    YTD-274.07miles

May summary:
    1 Race(Maynooth 10k) with goal time achieved.
    Biggest monthly mileage(99.16miles) so far this year.
    Upping the mileage towards 30miles a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You obviously only saw that monthly total too late :D I would have been back out the door for a quick mile !!!!

You obviously only saw that monthly total too late :D I would have been back out the door for a quick mile !!!!

Its called still not being able to count at 35, sure i had over 100 done!!

Today

4miles 38min 28sec(9.37min/mile)

The hamstings were screaming today, so kept this nice and slow. Hamstrings feeling better after it, dont think the sore hamsrings are a result of running though. Was given squat exercises to do 3-4 times a week to help the knee, hamstrings are always tight and sore the day after.

Spent the early afternoon marshalling at the Summerhill 10k up the road from me. Decent enough turn out for it, 200 odd ran the 10k, winnning time was 35.44 on a lumpy enough course. The 4k was won in 14.23 with 114 running it.

Song of the week - Underworld "Two months off"

WTD- 28.15miles
    MTD- 4miles
    YTD- 278.07miles

June Goals:
    1. Two races planned, Kilbride 5km and Irish Runner 5mile. McMillan has me down for 22.12 for 5k off my time in Maynooth. Goal will be to break 22 mins so. 5mile goal will be set off the 5k time.
    2. Push weekly mileage up towards 40miles a week.
    3. Run 5 times a week.

Good man Tang, good luck with the 5 mile target.

What sort of squat excercises are you doing?

Tnx,

TbL

Good man Tang, good luck with the 5 mile target.

What sort of squat excercises are you doing?

Tnx,

TbL

Cheers TbL, just basic leg squats, dropping to knee level, 90 degree bend on the legs & back up. I use a 10kg kettlebell to add bit more weight.

• Advertisement

Monday

7miles 59min 42 sec(8.32min/mile)

Easy run, pace felt comfortable & controlled. Was hot and humid so sweated buckets.

Thursday

6.05miles 50min 35sec(8.22min/mile)

Easy run again on an out and back route, legs are feeling good on these runs at last, feels like a bit of strength has been built back into them. Warm again to.

Friday

4miles 37min 18sec(9.19min/mile)

Recovery run, i used to hate recovery runs if i'm honest. Didn't see the point in them, probably led to my injury issues or partly responsible anyway. Love them now as they help freshen the legs up and help with the aches & pains.

Today

10miles 1hr 28min 29sec(8.51min/mile)

My long run for the week, was on the banks of the Royal Canal at 6.30am and headed West towards Mullingar. The mixture of gravel road, trail and grass was a joy to run on, legs were thankful. Went a mile past Ballasport Bridge and turned back, love running along the canal, no traffic or other interruptions to interfere with your run and plenty to look at to keep the mind occupied.

This is longest i've run so far this year & last mile or so was tough legs wise, i was expecting that so wont worry to much about it. Will do ten miles another few times before increasing it. Gave the legs a five minute cool-down in the water when i was done. 10 miles done by 8am!!

WTD-27.05miles
    MTD-31.05miles
    YTD-305.12miles

Great stuff tang and well done on the 10 today:D sounded like a fab run!
    Do you think you'll race longer than 10k this year?

Great stuff tang and well done on the 10 today:D sounded like a fab run!
    Do you think you'll race longer than 10k this year?

Cheers Ososlo, i'm doing a Half in Clonmel in August and then the Athlone half in September. Going to do the Mullingar 10 on the 27th of July to.

Cheers Ososlo, i'm doing a Half in Clonmel in August and then the Athlone half in September. Going to do the Mullingar 10 on the 27th of July to.

Ah yes sorry I think I remember you posting that before. Lovely. So no bother getting the long run up if you continue in the same vein.
    I agree on the recovery runs. There's nothing only benefit to be gained from them when done at the right effort.
    delighted things are going so well for you!

Today

3miles 28min 28sec(9.29min/mile)

Recovery run, legs were in surprising good shape after yesterdays run, think the 5 minute dip in the canal helped with the recovery. Thats 30miles for the week and 5 runs done. Have to do my long run tomorrow or it wont get done due to my working hours next week.

Song of the week - Orbital "Belfast"

WTD-30.05miles
    MTD-34.05miles
    YTD-308.12miles

• Advertisement

Monday

10.30miles 1hr 29min 49sec(8.43m/mile)

Out at hottest part of the day on Monday, had remembered to put vaseline on the eyebrows to prevent sweat dropping into them, forgot about the suncream though. Farmers tan sorted for the summer anyway!! Happy with how this went, it was my second 10miler in three days but the legs were good and less fatigued than on Saturday morning.

Will do one more ten miler next week before i increase to 11-12 miles.

Today

4miles 36min 51sec (9.12min/mile)

Recovery run on the dreadmill in work, legs good, no soreness or aches in them. Done plenty of stretching after this to help loosen the legs a bit more. Entered the 5k in Kilbride today to, so all systems go for that.

WTD-14miles
    MTD-48.05miles
    YTD-322.12miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice one tang...what date is that 5km on?

On next Tuesday evening, the 17th at 8 bells. Looking at sub 22 mins, not end of the world if it doesn't happen.

Today

6.10miles 50min 32sec(8.15 min/mile including 5 x 160m strides)

Out in the afternoon heat again, had my Adidas Bostons on for this, wear these for races/faster running, find them very comfortable and light but still have good support in them. Use NB 880s for slower longer stuff. Very happy with this, i ran the strides all out today, no holding back just to see how they went and how the knee held up. Strides went as follows:

1. 160m @ 5.11min/mile
    2. 160m @ 5.08min/mile
    3. 160m @ 5.10min/mile
    4. 160m @ 5.12min/mile
    5. 160m @ 5.08min/mile

Easy running from now until next Tuesday. Might consider throwing a session into the training after next week, we'll see.

WTD-20.10miles
    MTD-54.15miles
    YTD-328.27miles

Today

6.10miles 50min 32sec(8.15 min/mile including 5 x 160m strides)

Out in the afternoon heat again, had my Adidas Bostons on for this, wear these for races/faster running, find them very comfortable and light but still have good support in them. Use NB 880s for slower longer stuff. Very happy with this, i ran the strides all out today, no holding back just to see how they went and how the knee held up. Strides went as follows:

1. 160m @ 5.11min/mile
    2. 160m @ 5.08min/mile
    3. 160m @ 5.10min/mile
    4. 160m @ 5.12min/mile
    5. 160m @ 5.08min/mile

Easy running from now until next Tuesday. Might consider throwing a session into the training after next week, we'll see.

WTD-20.10miles
    MTD-54.15miles
    YTD-328.27miles

Nice one Tang, nice to be able to go eyeballs out and not have the niggles flare up.

TbL

Friday

7.50miles 63mins 56sec(8.32min/mile)

Warm, warm, warm!! Was like a drowned rat after this, pace felt comfortable even in the heat. Legs felt good & strong after the strides the day before. I know they should feel ok after few strides, but strides are like a session to me at the minute.

Saturday

4.50miles 42mins 16sec(9.24min/mile)

Recovery run, and thankfully it was, stiff as a board doing it. Legs and lower back were tight and sore, obviously the previous days runs took more out of me than i thought. Have lost another 2kgs in weight, not surprised with the amount of sweating i'm doing in the warm weather. Good weeks mileage.

Song of the week - Editors "Papillion"

WTD-32.10miles
    MTD-66.15miles
    YTD-340.27miles

Good luck tomorrow tang1! Hope it's nice and cool by the time it kicks off!

Good luck tomorrow tang1! Hope it's nice and cool by the time it kicks off!

Cheers Ososlo, be hoping it'll be somewhat cool come 8pm tomorrow evening alright. Invested in a few new singlets in Amphibian King today with the weather thats in it.

Today

4.01miles 33min 55sec(8.28min/mile)

My usual customery few miles the day before a race, legs and body feeling much better than Saturday past thankfully. Ran this at half 11 this morning and man was it warm even then, ran the last half mile at my hoped 5k pace for tomorrow evening and it felt good.

I know it'll be still humid at this time tomorrow evening but wont use that as an excuse if i dont go sub 22, i know i can so if i fu€k it up i have nobody to blame but myself.

WTD-4.01miles
    MTD-70.16miles
    YTD-344.28miles

Best of luck Tang!

• Advertisement
Advertisement