Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ooooh new singlets!!! Swit swoo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ooooh new singlets!!! Swit swoo :D

No point hiding the farmers tan!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    No point hiding the farmers tan!!!
    Certainly not! At the very least your brilliant white shoulders may dazzle the opposition and gain you a few places :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Rooting for you tang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck tomorrow tang

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck tomorrow. Might see you on the start line I will look out for the white shoulders that look like they are on their first outing of the year.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow. Might see you on the start line I will look out for the white shoulders that look like they are on their first outing of the year.

If the pasty shoulders don't give me away just look for a bald man with pasty shoulders. Best of luck to you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Best of luck tomorrow Tang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hope it went well for you tang. Can't have been easy in that heat. Was still roasting at 8.

• Advertisement

Kilbride 5km - 20min 21sec (11th of 147 finishers)

Arrived in Kilbride at 6.45pm and the temp on the car was still reading 24 degrees, hot evening for a 5k. Loads of people there already and plenty of late registrations. I had no clue what pace i could sustain for 3.1miles but had 6.45min/miles in my head for a 21 minute finish. McMillan had me running 22.12 for 5k off my 10K time in Maynooth but i knew i was quicker than that.

Two mile warm up and i was soaked through with sweat already, doing some stretching and i bumped into a man i worked with in "narcotics" in town for a few years, he was doing the 10k and had more or less the same pace planned for his race. We made our way to the start and seen loads of kids making there way to the front, thankfully the organiser asked them to move back and let the adult runners off first. Race started more or less at 8pm and we were off. First mile was spent as usual passing the over zealous runner who started in the wrong place, it was warm but thankfully the first 2.5k are in the shade which helped. We got to the turn off the main road and my mate told me to kick on that i was only doing the baby race. Didn't need to be told twice, passed the first mile in 6.33, twelve seconds up on my goal time. I feeling good and was passing runners all the time, knee felt good to as it had not ran at this pace in well over 12 months. Just before the 2.5k passed a man who asked how far was left, i asked him what race he was doing, he said the 10k, just told him he had a bit to go yet:confused::confused:.

We crossed onto another quiet country lane with a better surface and i just kept trying to catch runners ahead of me and stay focused, mile 2 was done in 6.31, another 13 seconds up on goal time. The coolness of the shade had gone now and the heat was beeming off my bald head, i ssen a Drogheda & District runner ahead of me and made him my goal to catch. I was starting to feel it now, but noway i was giving in. When i start to struggle in a race i think of my son and how much he means to me and it helps me suffer some more. I passed D & D man and turned onto the main road again for the run to home. The lenghth of stride was getting smaller and i was starting to take chicken strides, i could hear the announcer ahead sying "5k to the left, 10k straight on". I passed him and the watch beeped 6.34 for mile 3. I genuinely was spent and done the las t bit in 7.32. Crossed the line and nearly puked, the young lad came running up to me and said "Dad you all sweaty" and rubbed my face, all was good again. It was a well ran race, junctions well marshalled and course bang on the distance with chip timing. Its a fast 5k course which i hopefully will be back to next year. Big spread of food after with plenty for everybody, worth every bit of the €13 entry

Post Race:

I'll not lie, i'm delighted with this as it shows progression in the right direction. I held 6.35min pace for 3 miles which i honestly thought i would not be able to do for another 3-4 months. I'll not get carried away, but i'll definitely target sub 35 mins in the Irish Runner 5 mile in a few weeks and sub 20 mins in the Kinnegad 5k in early July.

WTD-11.36miles
    MTD- 77.51miles
    YTD-351.63miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You have every right to get carried away now. Things are certainly going in the right direction for you. I'm over the moon for you. You've been working hard lately and really deserve to be making these improvements on the road back to where you were and your old self. Lovely report and so nice your son was there at the finish:) Nice to have something to drive you on like that when things got tough.
    Sounds like a great race. Look forward to doing it next year.
    Super stuff tang:D Excited to see where you'll be by the end of the year!

Well done Tang. Good running. I couldn't figure out which of the bald white shouldered bloke you were so decided against walking up to lads and asking "are you tang from boards.ie?" Thought I might get a few strange looks or might even have had my shoulder felt by your mates with the flashing blue lights....from your report I am thinking white singlet?

Ososlo wrote: »
    You have every right to get carried away now. Things are certainly going in the right direction for you. I'm over the moon for you. You've been working hard lately and really deserve to be making these improvements on the road back to where you were and your old self. Lovely report and so nice your son was there at the finish:) Nice to have something to drive you on like that when things got tough.
    Sounds like a great race. Look forward to doing it next year.
    Super stuff tang:D Excited to see where you'll be by the end of the year!

Cheers Ososlo, thanks for the kind words. I'm happy with how things are going at the minute, plenty of work to do yet but i'll get there. I love running races just to beat myself, i'll never be near the front, but if i beat the goals i set i'm a happy man.

Well done Tang. Good running. I couldn't figure out which of the bald white shouldered bloke you were so decided against walking up to lads and asking "are you tang from boards.ie?" Thought I might get a few strange looks or might even have had my shoulder felt by your mates with the flashing blue lights....from your report I am thinking white singlet?

Yeah white singlet alright, and i'm doing myself a slight diservice, shaved head but nearly bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Brilliant!:D

If I get back fit for the 5 miler maybe I'll get you to pace me to sub 35;)

Well done tonight. A cousin of mine works in "narcotics" .I wonder if you know him? Must chat to you another time about that.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Brilliant!:D

If I get back fit for the 5 miler maybe I'll get you to pace me to sub 35;)

Well done tonight. A cousin of mine works in "narcotics" .I wonder if you know him? Must chat to you another time about that.

Cheers RR, we could pace each other to sub 35, bit of heathly competition is always good. Chances are i do know your cousin.

Yeah white singlet alright, and i'm doing myself a slight diservice, shaved head but nearly bald.

I passed you as you were finishing off your warm-up coming back down from the start line direction. I figured the no hair comment probably meant shaving it tight to avoid noticing as it slowly thins away. Have been known to use the same approach myself:D

Well done again. Keep up the good work. Might catch up with you at the 5 miler now that I have idea what you look like. Although there will probably be a few more punters in the PP than there was this evening.

Well done tang.
    Great racing :)

I passed you as you were finishing off your warm-up coming back down from the start line direction. I figured the no hair comment probably meant shaving it tight to avoid noticing as it slowly thins away. Have been known to use the same approach myself:D

Well done again. Keep up the good work. Might catch up with you at the 5 miler now that I have idea what you look like. Although there will probably be a few more punters in the PP than there was this evening.

Orange t-shirt and shades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats Tang. That injury is far behind you now.

• Advertisement

Congrats Tang. That injury is far behind you now.

Thanks PM, hopefully its well behind me now.

Good stuff out of you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great run tang - you've still got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

well done Tang1 - you're going well at the moment, that was a really tough evening for a 5k - the heat around the 3\4k mark made things really uncomfortable...super stuff in tough conditions

Duanington wrote: »
    well done Tang1 - you're going well at the moment, that was a really tough evening for a 5k - the heat around the 3\4k mark made things really uncomfortable...super stuff in tough conditions

Cheers Duanington, great running by yourself to. Heat was a killer alright in places, beats running in wind & rain though!!

Good stuff out of you :D

Thanks K, getting there slowly which is fast enough.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great run tang - you've still got it.

Thanks Murph_D, dont know about the still got it, but very happy with how things are going. Good stuff going on in your log to, keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work - thats a superb performance.
    Might see you at the 5 miler.

Orange t-shirt and shades?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Super result Tang, well deserved. I'm not sure what you mean by working in narcotics, I'm hoping your a Garda or else drug dealers are coming up in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great run Tang, sounds like tough conditions by all accounts. All your hard work starting to pay off and plenty more to come. Well done.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great stuff. Heck of a comeback from some pretty **** injury luck. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Hiya Tang, trying to catch up with logs.
    Well done on that 5K time, especially in the heat we've been having. With that race in your legs (@ 6:33 pace) and hopefully a cooler Saturday morning for the Irish Runner, you'll easily go sub 35:00.

Wednesday

3.30miles 30min 45sec(9.19min/mile)

Travelled to Donegal early Wednesday, the misus' wanted to do some DIY at her folks place with her sister while they were away. As soon as i got a paint brush in her hand tang1 junior and myself hit Rossnowlagh. The afternoon was spent running to and from the sea, building sandcastles and looking for crabs in the rock-pools. Legs were glad of the dip in the sea-water. Serious crowd there, loads of young Northy boy racer be11ends driving like tools though.

Done a loop around Ballyshannon in the evening at recovery pace and the legs were unhappy from the race the evening before, stiff more than sore. Nothing niggling either thankfully.

Today

7.04miles 61min 02 sec(8.40min/mile)

Didn't get chance to get out since Wednesday till today, long story short young lad got scarlet fever and loads of vommiting and high temps later is on the mend. Ran at 1pm and hottest part of the day, first 2 miles were sluggish but next 5 i bounced along when the legs woke up. Had planned a step back week this week but not as low a mileage as i done, goes without saying somebody far more important had to be looked after first. Thanks for all the kind comments since Tuesdays race, very much appreciated.

Song of the week - Moby "I feel it"

WTD-21.70miles
    MTD-87.85miles
    YTD-361.97miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Song of the week - Moby "I feel it"
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Good performance in Kilbride Tang, it was a nice but not ideal course, the heat and the many little rollers were well able to sap the energy before the long kick for home.
    Hope the little fellow is feeling better, terrible when they are sick. We have the pox in my house at the moment....

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Good performance in Kilbride Tang, it was a nice but not ideal course, the heat and the many little rollers were well able to sap the energy before the long kick for home.
    Hope the little fellow is feeling better, terrible when they are sick. We have the pox in my house at the moment....

Haven't had the pleasure of the pox yet!! The run for home in Kilbride was tough alright, found the heat along that stretch a little unbearable. The Kilbride time is over a minute & half off my PB, but all things considered its a run i'm very happy with at the minute.

Monday

8.01miles 66min 05sec(8.15min/mile)

Down home for few days so decided to test the Royal Canal out down there. Started at Longford Bridge just outside the town of Ballymahon and ran back east to Guys Bridge. As always a delightful run along the canal, loads of wildlife about and boats moored to keep the mind occupied.

Just one dodgey stretch underfoot along the section i ran, for about half a mile where the grass was knee high and the grass track had been deepened in parts by a farmers tractor. Few photos of the run below.

Tuesday

Cross training 18 holes of golf in Portumna with Mrs tang, carrying a golf bag 18 holes counts as core work doesn't it!! On the golf, had my a$$ handed to me by the Mrs!!

Wednesday

Spent walking around shops in Athlone, young lad ran into Elverys in the new Town Centre so followed him. Seen a sign saying "Massive sale on runners" so had to have a look. Ended up with a new pair of Adidas Boston 4s for €37.50, cant complain about that.

Today

6miles 49min 51sec(8.18min/mile)

Easy 6 miles around a usual loop down home, legs are feeling great these days and are full of running had to slow down on a few occasions doing this and not get over excited. McMillan has me running 33.45 for 5 miles off my 5k last week, if i run this or close to it Saturday i'll be happy.

WTD-14.01miles
    MTD-101.86miles
    YTD-375.98miles

Cross training 18 holes of golf in Portumna with Mrs tang, carrying a golf bag 18 holes

Fair play to you Tang, when I initially read it I thought you had the missus carrying your bag and thought I'd send my missus down to you for some retraining :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Cross training 18 holes of golf in Portumna with Mrs tang, carrying a golf bag 18 holes

Fair play to you Tang, when I initially read it I thought you had the missus carrying your bag and thought I'd send my missus down to you for some retraining :)

TbL

I had originally just put "carrying a bag 18 holes" but that wouldn't have reflected well on herself so i added golf!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Haha I read it the exact same!

Tang, if the weather stays like it is in Dublin for tomorrow I will be donning the Orange T and Shades again for the 1st of the race series in the PP so if you spot me be sure to say Hello. Good luck if I don't bump into you before the off.

Tang, if the weather stays like it is in Dublin for tomorrow I will be donning the Orange T and Shades again for the 1st of the race series in the PP so if you spot me be sure to say Hello. Good luck if I don't bump into you before the off.

I'll keep the eyes opened for you, be white singlet & stream lined hair again for me to. Best of luck to you to.

Good luck tomorrow Tang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow

• Advertisement

Enjoy it Tang and best of luck

TbL

Today

4.04miles 35min 44sec(8.51min/mile)

Just few very easy miles before the morning, usual pre race rubbish in the head "whats that pain in my knee", "jaysus my hammer is awful tight", "my throat feels scratchy and raw". Racing wouldn't be the same without the pre-race jitters. Best of luck to everybody racing over the weekend.

WTD- 18.05miles
    MTD-105.90miles
    YTD-380.02miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck this morning Tang.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good luck this morning Tang.

Cheers Murph, same to yourself. Might bump into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 John Ivory

Great to see you are back running after operation. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement