Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Irish Runner 5 mile - 34min 27sec(322 of 3119 finishers)

Was in the park bright and early this morning arriving at 9am, parked the car at the Blackhorse Ave gate and ran down to the start for my warm up sub 35 mins was the big goal, i know McMillan had me for 33.45 off my 5k time but i dont like taking that as gospel. Was just about to finish and do some stretching when i seen who i thought was RedRunner(nice to meet you at last) running towards me, let a shout of his first name and my assumption was proved correct. Had a chat with RR about goal times and training when the runner formerly known as RunningKing, AMK(pleasure as always sir) came towards us with a steely determination in his eyes with sub 30 mins written all over them. Quick chat and he was off with the MSB boys for his race.

Made our way to the starting pen, which was well organised and not overcrowded, lads ahd told me the second half was hilly and to save a bit so intended to do that. Wished RR and Murph_D(nice to meet you) the best and the racing started, settled in to my stride quick enough and the legs felt good, first mile ticked by in 6.38, bit quick. Turned off North Road i think and headed for the Kyber, nice and flat here and passing plenty of other runners. Was still feeling good and everything was as i hoped at this stage, mile 2 was 6.39 again to quick Barry i said to myself. The quick decent of the Kyber began and over zealous runners were passing at a rate of knots, kept it steady here as i knew from the lads there was a bit of a climd out of the Kyber. Low and behold a good few that had passed me going down the Kyber i passed on the climb out of it and never seen them for the rest of the race, mile 3 was 6.46, more like it.

Took it easy running the S-Bends and took it steadypicking off runners when ever i could, half way through this mile i started running in treacle. The wheels were coming off, tried to dig in as best as i could and mile 4 passed in 6.53, sub 35 was still on at this stage, but i was dying a death. No speed work or sessions in the legs was starting to show, i dont know the name of the road but it felt like a never ending climb. I hate to say it but i stopped and walked for a bit, a stern chat with myself and i started back again. An orange t-shirt pulled up beside me as if he was out on an a morning walk, it was none other than FBOT01 who i recognised from Kilbride the week previous. A few words of encouragement from him(cheers for that) and i dug in. Could see the finish ahead, 33.xx was on it and it soon turned to 34, mustered whatever kind of a kick i had left and passed a few other runners and crossed the line, mile 5 7.23:eek::eek:. Watch read 34.27 which proved to be right.

Picked up the goody bag and few glasses of water and spotted FBOT01(great to meet you) standing under a tree, he was just after finishing his 19 miles LSR with the race and whipped my ass. RR was soon across the line with a big smile on his face and a new PB to boot and a minute or so later Murph_D had the same story, another man with a PB. Had a chat with the lads and met HelenAnne who just missed her goal and made my way to the car before the monsoon rain hit. Great to meet a few more Boardsies and even better they ran good PBs, AMK blitzed the race with a sub 30, obviously you get something extra drawing the pension:P:P.

Post Race:

I am happy with the race this morning its another decent result and again i feel its progression. But its the end of the niceties and fannying about, i have to start doing a few sessions and speed work if i want to see anykind of decent progress from now on. The last two miles of todays race show i'm lacking any kind of leg strength or endurance big time, i really did struggle and even walked. The knee is as strong as it ever was and so its time to put a bit of speed into the training from here on in. Next race is the Kinnegad 5k and if i dont go sub 20 mins there i i will be seriously pi$$ed.

WTD-26.06miles
    MTD-113.91miles
    YTD-388.03miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Good honest report there Tang. Second half of that route is harsh enough. Was also a walker there first time I ran it. The legs weren't ready for the second long drag up at the time.

It's all progress though. Great to see you starting to catch your old self.

Good honest report there Tang. Second half of that route is harsh enough. Was also a walker there first time I ran it. The legs weren't ready for the second long drag up at the time.

It's all progress though. Great to see you starting to catch your old self.

Cheers PM, i dont know the park to well and the last race of the race series i done was the Half marathon in 2011 so knew only few bits of the route. Have to be honest with myself, not being disrespectful to anybody, but i know i am better than the race today just not at the minute and its time to change that. Hope you had a good holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

tang1 wrote: »
    Cheers PM, i dont know the park to well and the last race of the race series i done was the Half marathon in 2011 so knew only few bits of the route. Have to be honest with myself, not being disrespectful to anybody, but i know i am better than the race today just not at the minute and its time to change that. Hope you had a good holiday.

Still having it mate otherwise I would have been there today myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to meet you tang - I know where you're coming from but as they say there are no pictures on the scoreboard. Good time on a difficult course. The last mile causes all sorts if problems for lots of people, although if you're local and train in the park it's more manageable. Fair play for getting back on the horse after the blowup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Hi tang, well done on the sub 35:00. Looked about a bit in the pen at the start to see if I could spot someone matching your description, there were a few 'possibles' but nothing close enough to feel comfortable enquiring.

The Upper Glen Road is a killer at the end of races. Your mind keeps thinking you've finally crested the hill but your legs keep reminding you that the incline continues. I hate that part of the course. Must try do some speed sessions up it just to get more used to its profile.

I was running down the Khyber on my cool-down and one of your colleagues pulls up alongside me on his motorbike.

He says (from under his helmet) "Marmoo nour mapo nonor?"
    I say "Sorry?"
    He says "Are you on your lap of honour?"

Funny guy.

outforarun wrote: »
    Hi tang, well done on the sub 35:00. Looked about a bit in the pen at the start to see if I could spot someone matching your description, there were a few 'possibles' but nothing close enough to feel comfortable enquiring.

The Upper Glen Road is a killer at the end of races. Your mind keeps thinking you've finally crested the hill but your legs keep reminding you that the incline continues. I hate that part of the course. Must try do some speed sessions up it just to get more used to its profile.

I was running down the Khyber on my cool-down and one of your colleagues pulls up alongside me on his motorbike.

He says (from under his helmet) "Marmoo nour mapo nonor?"
    I say "Sorry?"
    He says "Are you on your lap of honour?"

Funny guy.

Some idiots in my job believe me, right comedians. I just had nothing left for that last mile and legs went to jelly, i'll know the course again if i run it and will have more speed in the legs hopefully to cope with the hills. Good honest route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done Tang great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done Tang= great to hit your goal and know that there's more to get. Ideal in many ways- PBing with a hint of I could have done better.
    Food for thought and fuel for the next time out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done on your sub 35 on Saturday. It was nice to meet you and put a face to the name. Was glad to see you get back on the horse for the last mile and push it out to the finish. Not easy to do on a tough run in like that one. Best of luck with the sub 20 challenge for Kinnegad. I will be tracking your progress with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super racing Barry, your as strong as ever.
    Your times will tumble in the coming months.

Super racing Barry, your as strong as ever.
    Your times will tumble in the coming months.

Cheers Alan, looking forward to rest of the summer to see how things go. Fantastic stuff from you Saturday.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well done on your sub 35 on Saturday. It was nice to meet you and put a face to the name. Was glad to see you get back on the horse for the last mile and push it out to the finish. Not easy to do on a tough run in like that one. Best of luck with the sub 20 challenge for Kinnegad. I will be tracking your progress with interest.

Thanks and nice meeting you to, i know the sub 20 is there all about pulling it off. Things shaping up nicely for yourself to, some great training.

Sunday

#inaheap, had few beers(10) Saturday night so was unable to function in anyway on Sunday let alone run.

June Summary:

Monthly Mileage - 113.91 - highest monthly total of the year so far.
    2 Races - Kilbride 5k and Irish Runner 5 mile - solid performances in both and something to work on and impove.
    Increase in weekly mileage and days running a week to 5.

July Objectives:

Increase the monthly and weekly mileage again.
    2 Races planned - Kinnegad 5k and Mullingar 10 mile - sub 20 goal all the way in Kinnegad and will be annoyed if its not achieved. 75 mins or below for the Mullingar 10 mile.
    Include a weekly session in my training from now on.

Tuesday

3.20 miles 25min 58sec(8.07min/mile)

Easy few miles before work in the morning heat, i only done just over 3 miles yet i was soaked through with sweat, t-shirt and shorts.

Wednesday

5 miles 41min 54sec(8.22min/mile)

Needs must this was done on the treadmill at work. Done at half 1 in the morning when things were quiet, the room where the treadmill is was like a sauna and was saturated again. Hate running on a treadmill cause it feels your working harder than you would on the road.

Today

7.50 miles 64min 14sec(8.34min/mile) including 2 mile @ 10k pace(failed)

I was due a bad run and today it gave it to me in bucket loads, had hoped to do 2 miles @ 10k pace during this. Warmed up with 2 miles and into 1st 10k paced mile, looking to run these at between 6.55-7min/mile. I knew from the off i was working to hard, breathing was all over the place, struggling to get my breath big time. Got the first one done and doubled over trying to get my breath, time was 6.55min/mile.

Stood for few mins trying to regain my breath and took off easy again, less than half mile down the road i was stopped again. Breathing in a jock, and so this continued for remainder of the run, no way i was able for another 10k pace mile. Recovery pace was hard to hold, walked a total of 5 times during this trying to gain my breath and compose myself.

Looking back i done this less than 12 hrs after running 5 miles in a sauna, i hadnt taken near enough fluid on board after my run last nite(idiot!!), 750mls of water and 2 cups of tea ain't going to re-hydrate my body with the amount i sweat. Stupid, stupid mistake and may explain the lethargic run. I'm going for blood tests Monday coming anyway to see if i need to go back on medication for cholesterol so will ask the nurse to check everything for me.

Lesson learnt, i'm no running expert but i do know i should hydrate better after my runs, something i have gotten lazy about. Bad run and i'll move on and learn from it.

WTD-15.70miles
    MTD-15.70miles
    YTD-403.73miles

Friday

3.50miles 30min 29sec(8.43min/mile)

Kept this very easy, legs were fine after the previous days aborted session but still not 100% confident in the body. It was a pleasant run and thankfully had none of the previous days issues, loads of sweat again even though it was only 3.5 miles.

Sunday

13.2miles 1hr 54min 15sec(8.39min/mile)

Home at 7.30am after nights and threw on the gear & headed out for this. Lovely sunny morning for a run, cool in the shade. This was my longest run of the year so far and happy with how it went, legs were strong and breathing was good.

Having been up since 12pm on Saturday afternoon the energy levels were good to, brought a gel with me and used it after 7.5miles. Not sure if it helped or not but it done me no harm anyway. Good weeks running all told, failed session but other circumstances put a stop on that.

Song of the week - Quench "Dreams"

WTD-32.40miles
    MTD-32.40miles
    YTD-420.43miles

View over the Royal County at 7.30am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Some good training going on here, great to see you getting back to normal.

Nice song of the week, like yourself something keeps drawing me back to early 90s dance/trance. They dont make 'em like that anymore.
    Rediscovered a gem recently, Echo drop by Taiko, quality...

wowzer wrote: »
    Some good training going on here, great to see you getting back to normal.

Nice song of the week, like yourself something keeps drawing me back to early 90s dance/trance. They dont make 'em like that anymore.
    Rediscovered a gem recently, Echo drop by Taiko, quality...

Certainly don't make them like that anymore, most of the modern day stuff is rubbish. Hows the training going, you resurrecting the log?

• Advertisement

Today

4miles 37min 42 sec(9.25min/mile)

Legs felt good after yesterdays run with no stiffness or pain in them, still kept this at recovery pace though as i wanted to take full benefit of a recovery run. Maybe 4-5 easy miles tomorrow to bring me up to Wednesday evenings 5k.

WTD-4miles
    MTD-36.70miles
    YTD-424.43miles

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Certainly don't make them like that anymore, most of the modern day stuff is rubbish. Hows the training going, you resurrecting the log?

Between a 14 month old and a 2 month old the log is a distant memory at this stage. If I 100% commit to DCM I may resurrect it.

Still managing to get a decent bit of running done, 45-50 miles a week but I have to be creative to squeeze them in so im missing the club and not really getting much speed work done, thems the breaks as they say.

Fingal 10k up next for me to finally get this sub 40 monkey off my back, disastrous attempt a few weeks back in dunshaughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Between a 14 month old and a 2 month old the log is a distant memory at this stage. If I 100% commit to DCM I may resurrect it.

Still managing to get a decent bit of running done, 45-50 miles a week but I have to be creative to squeeze them in so im missing the club and not really getting much speed work done, thems the breaks as they say.

Fingal 10k up next for me to finally get this sub 40 monkey off my back, disastrous attempt a few weeks back in dunshaughlin.

good luck with Fingal wowzer.
    I'd love to see you resurrect the log too! Nice mileage!

Long overdue congrats on your 2nd arrival man, knew you had one alright. Your mileage is impressive going with two young kids in the house, i know what you mean though on the creative bit.

Seen your time for Dunshaughlin and thought you'd be unhappy with it alright. Best of luck with the sub 40 in Fingal, be long time before i'll be targeting that again.

Tuesday

3.20miles 25min 38sec(8.00min/mile)

Easy few miles to keep legs ticking over before tomorrow nights race, nothing more to report.

Today

Kinnegad 5k - 19min 47sec(6.24min/mile)

Sub 20 mins achieved, i really like this race, this is my 4th time running it and it gets everything right. Got there at 7pm and went and done a good warm up, went and got my wife and young lad who were stuffing there faces with ice-cream and headed for start. Decent crowd about and the first person i spotted i knew my chances of the win were gone, Martin Fagan flew down the road leaving dust in his wake:P:P. Off we went at few mins past 8, settled in quick enough and checked watch at half mile gone i was on target. Mile one was 6.24, latched onto a runner as we turned down the country lane and worked off him, he was going at same pace as me or bit quicker.

Passing plenty of runners who started to quick along here, taking turns with my pacing friend at pushing things, mile 2 was 6.25, still on target for the sub 20. For next half mile i struggled a bit, pace dropped to 6.4x and had to give myself a talking to here, my pacing friend had moved on a few places in front of me so set about catching him. Pushed it as hard as i could, and got pace back to 6.26, slight climb before las 500m and dug in here again. Moved up alongside pacing friend againa nd we pushed on, mile 3 in 6.26, into home straight and kicked for line as did my friend. There were people in front of clock so did not see the time until last few yards, kicked again and bet my pacing friend, time was 19.47.

Happy out with this, its a 35 second improvement on my 5k time a few weeks back and i feel theres more left to come off this by years end. Martin Fagan won it in 14.13, next year maybe:D:D.

Total for day:7.15miles

WTD-14.35miles
    MTD-46.75miles
    YTD-434.78miles

FAB:D
    Well done!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Super racing, super result, congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Tang, that's a great effort and result. Nice PB too.

35 second improvement over 5k is a big big improvement.

Well done.

TbL

Well done Tang, that's a great effort and result. Nice PB too.

35 second improvement over 5k is a big big improvement.

Well done.

TbL

Cheers TbL, its a minute slower than my PB but i wont be getting close to that this year, its another step in the right direction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Congrats tang! Nice racing!

Cheers TbL, its a minute slower than my PB but i wont be getting close to that this year, its another step in the right direction though.

When did you run a sub 19 (I need to go back over your log), that's a tidy PB.

Well done again tonight.

TbL

• Advertisement

When did you run a sub 19 (I need to go back over your log), that's a tidy PB.

Well done again tonight.

TbL

It was last May prior to knee operations/having a log on Boards.

What race was that again? I'm sure my PB is from that night too!

Yes I went back to your first post and saw that.

Based on that 5k time you've a soft 10k PB that needs attention :)

TbL

blockic wrote: »
    What race was that again? I'm sure my PB is from that night too!

It was the Na Fianna/Bob Heffernan 5k in Johnstownbridge last year. You ran 17.xx if i remember right.

It was the Na Fianna/Bob Heffernan 5k in Johnstownbridge last year. You ran 17.xx if i remember right.

Yes indeed that was it. Great night of PBs that night. Good times. Won't be long before you back in the 18s after tonight.

Yes I went back to your first post and saw that.

Based on that 5k time you've a soft 10k PB that needs attention :)

TbL

10k was ran on the hilliest biatch of a race in Roscommon last year, last 3k were up a mountain and i'm not exaggerating.

blockic wrote: »
    Yes indeed that was it. Great night of PBs that night. Good times. Won't be long before you back in the 18s after tonight.

If i get towards low 19s by years end i'll be very happy believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Super result Tang. Well done.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Super result Tang. Well done.

Cheers RR, nice mileage achievement this evening. Training is very solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done Tang - superb running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done. Great racing, Tang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That must have felt good. Nice going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'm a bit slow coming to the party but well done last night. Your making great progress getting back to where you were

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Well done on the sub 20. The progress continues: McMillan now indicates that if you went back to do the 5 miler you'd come home in sub 33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super work, well deserved and making super progress!

I'm a bit slow coming to the party but well done last night. Your making great progress getting back to where you were

Cheers K, glad to see things are settling down for you on the injury front. Your energy is endless.

Super work, well deserved and making super progress!

Thanks A, baby steps, i'll get there.

outforarun wrote: »
    Well done on the sub 20. The progress continues: McMillan now indicates that if you went back to do the 5 miler you'd come home in sub 33.

Thanks, happy with the progress. Savage 10k session at the weekend, sub 40 a mere formality in Fingal for you.

Thanks A, baby steps, i'll get there.

Hardly baby steps B! More like leaps and bounds!
    exciting to see where you'll be at by end of year.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hardly baby steps B! More like leaps and bounds!
    exciting to see where you'll be at by end of year.

Thanks A, things are progressing along nicely, but i know from previous experience injury can hit at anytime, just dont want to push to much and fcuk things up again for myself. If i get close to 19 mins by years end i've done very very well.

Advertisement