Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

custom built gun Q's

Options
  • 08-03-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

just wondering how you go about it im thinking about doin one in 243 but i dont have a license for one have 220 swift at the minute

do you apply first and then get one built or the other way around?

also with it being a complete custom gun its not gonna have a serial number right?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

do you apply first and then get one built or the other way around?
    Usually it's a case of having the license first as it's a lot of money to hand out without a guarantee you'll get the license and be able to use the gun. Of course it'll be your gun so you can sell it if the license falls through, but trying to sell a custom gun can be tricky as it's built to your spec and as such may not suit anyone else.
    also with it being a complete custom gun its not gonna have a serial number right?
    The serial number will come form the action as all actions must have a serial number.

What you would do is go to a builder. Tell them what you have in mind and settle on the specifics. He'll get you or maybe even have an action there and you use this action to get the license. Once the license comes through you go ahead with the build. This will be the longer route as you need to wait on the license and then the gun to be built.

When i was getting mine done i already had the license for the caliber so it was a simply substitution. however you could take the chance of applying for the license/substitution at the same time as having the gun started. that is your choice.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

cheers cass

do you think id have a problem licensing a 243 for foxing?

I hate giving this answer lad, but it's not really a question i, or anyone, can answer.

Some Supers simply will not license a deer legal caliber for anything other than deer or target shooting. Others have no problem doing it. It all boils down to "good reason" for having the gun. While the whole deer legal thing, to me, is a poor excuse to refuse a license i don't issue them so my opinion counts for nothing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

no problem mate i can see where ur coming from

was just wondering had anyone done it recently as i havent been on in a while
    suppose ill just have a think about it and see what ill do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

K ow anyone with a 243 who would let you licence it? Would be the cheapest way of testing the waters and if it comes through ok you can do a sub when the new gun is built

• Advertisement

TBH that is no different than him going for it himself. He needs "good reason" no matter what gun he goes for.

You are looking at a minimum of €2,500 for a custom build. Perhaps factor in a few more quid and join a range. There is your good reason for any caliber..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Its different in the fack that he will have zero outlay before getting the licence so if he is refused he is not out of pocket. Of course if the dealer had an action there and did not have to order one he could so the same but its just another option

True.

However the good reason is still there and as you said if he finds a builder with an action (he wants) in stock it'll save him the same outlay.

cheers lads

suppose my next question is there anyone out there with a 243 that they're willing to let me license to see if i can get one?

What aaakev said, and i assume meant, was to use a friend or family member. Asking a stranger or someone on here for that facility is a bad idea and never going to happen.

If you don't have one then you have three options.
    1. Join a range. There is your good reason.
    2. Apply for a deer license. More good reason.
    3. Apply for the license and see if it goes through without either.

• Advertisement

apologies cheers for clearing that up cass i read the post wrong

another quick question the company im looking at can customize the serial number if u want so if i emailed them and asked them to keep one for me and then tried to license it could that be a way around the problem without having to try license one first?

I'll give ya an example of handguns.

Not many dealers stocked handguns, but many sold them. They would ring the company (of the gun you wanted) and get a serial number. In order to import the gun you needed the license so you applied on the serial number for the license. If successful you got the license then imported the gun via the RFD.

Same with an action. You can "reserve" the serial number and apply for the license. Then import if successful. The only drawback was some dealers would demand either full payment or a deposit that was non refundable as they classed it as "administration fees". Now i can understand this if the gun was imported regardless of whether you got the license or not. However in circumstances where the gun never left the manufacturers shelf until the license was gotten i fail to see the need or the use of a non refundable deposit.

So you can get the serial number of the action, apply for the license, but still you need a reason for the gun. This is not something you can bypass. Whether it's on someone else's gun, one already here or one you intend to import you need to show good reason. This is not as hard a task as some think it is. It's either for deer, target shooting or vermin. Pick one and if that satisfies the Super you get it. If not you won't. If it's a .243 then you need either membership to a range or deer permission. Your Super might allow it to go through without, as there is really no reason why a .243 cannot be used for vermin, but your chances are stronger with deer or range membership.

One tip though. Apply for deer or both deer and target. If you apply for target only you might find yourself getting an endorsement that the rifle can only be used on the range. So think carefully before acting.

thanks cass

yep ive no problem with giving them reason for it just trying to keep the intial investment low as i know my super can be a bit awkward sometimes

I understand, but the sad truth is there is no real foolproof way to avoid having to spend a little. Someone will want or try to hit you for a few quid at some point. Just know where you stand and make sure not to give in to the whims of people demanding deposits, large deposits, etc. If unsure or not convinced then either ask here for some advise or just walk away and try something else.

Was catting to a few lads over the last few days and either i'm getting old or the price for re-barrels and custom builds has reached stupidly high proportions.

When i got my guns done the most, and i mean the absolute most including a barrel that cost over £600, i paid for a re-barrel was €1000. Now it seems the standard is €1,200, going all the way up to & exceeding €1,450 and with some charging extra to have it done quickly (within a couple of months).

Considering the average price of a barrel is around £400 - £425 (€500) i'm wondering what the hell the other €700 - €900 is for. Did you get prices on barrels yet? Would be interested to know what is with the price hike.

really:eek:

ive had a look through some of the barrel makers and a barrel looks to be about 550 dollars max depending on steel type fluting and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Cass wrote: »
    Was catting to a few lads over the last few days and either i'm getting old or the price for re-barrels and custom builds has reached stupidly high proportions.

When i got my guns done the most, and i mean the absolute most including a barrel that cost over £600, i paid for a re-barrel was €1000. Now it seems the standard is €1,200, going all the way up to & exceeding €1,450 and with some charging extra to have it done quickly (within a couple of months).

Considering the average price of a barrel is around £400 - £425 (€500) i'm wondering what the hell the other €700 - €900 is for. Did you get prices on barrels yet? Would be interested to know what is with the price hike.

My rifle is at a shop at the moment and the price in bold is what I'm paying for fitting a kreiger (fluted so that is an extra expense), threaded with invisible cap, working on the trigger and cerakoting the action/barrel/rail. Pretty reasonable I thought.

really:eek:

ive had a look through some of the barrel makers and a barrel looks to be about 550 dollars max depending on steel type fluting and so on
    Forget American prices. Completely out of tune with wha you will pay here for them. If you want a price guide check out Dolphin gun works in the UK, Fox Firearms in the UK, and a host of others. That is where most lads get their barrels from .no duty, taxes, etc.
    patsat wrote: »
    My rifle is at a shop at the moment and the price in bold is what I'm paying for fitting a kreiger (fluted so that is an extra expense), threaded with invisible cap, working on the trigger and cerakoting the action/barrel/rail. Pretty reasonable I thought.

If you are getting a Krieger (one of the more expensive barrels) with all that work done for €1,200 then that is not bad at all .What i was referring to was one lad in particular telling me that he paid/is paying nearly €1,400 for a standard re-barrel. No ceracoating, no trigger work, no bedding. Just the barrel and to have it done "fast". Another 3 lads have all gotten quotes for between €1,200 to €1,450 for just the re-barrel. Nothing else.

My last Bartlein was fairly expensive. Between the barrel, the fluting, shipping , etc. it came in at £600. Including fitting it cost €950.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

If you are lucky enough to have a Mauser 98,...
    Lothar Walther barrel off the shelf around 200 Euro, best is, this barrel is threaded at the action end and chambered. Only needs head spacing. (total cost maybe 400-500 Euro normally)
    By the way LW have built a special lathe to chamber, one reason why several German rifle builders prefer to buy pre chambered barrels.
    edi

• Advertisement
Advertisement