Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a stigma associated with social housing?

Options
  • 08-03-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I got offered a place under a scheme - it's not from the county council.

I have an illness (not physical) that prevents me from working. Nobody could ever tell by looking at me that I have a disability.

I'm just wondering if there is a stigma associated because it's really improving my confidence and how I feel about myself, now that I have my own place.

I'm going to be fitting it with my own furniture etc. as it doesn't come with most of it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't think there's any stigma with social housing. To my mind (and this may be an unpopular opinion) the only stigma comes when people make obviously false declarations to get social housing ahead of other people. You haven't done that, and were offered it fair and square - that's what it's there for.

Congrats on your new home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IMHO yes there is - because some of them people in it don't really need it.

But you do, so who cares what other people think:

You know that you have a real issue which means you need more help that most. You know that if you weren't ill you would be working full time and self-sufficient. And you know that you didn't choose to to be sick.

So to hell with other people and their stigmas. Let them live a week in your life and they won't be judging any more.

Focus on living the best life you can - including enjoying your own home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

euser1984 wrote: »
    I got offered a place under a scheme - it's not from the county council.

I have an illness (not physical) that prevents me from working. Nobody could ever tell by looking at me that I have a disability.

I'm just wondering if there is a stigma associated because it's really improving my confidence and how I feel about myself, now that I have my own place.

I'm going to be fitting it with my own furniture etc. as it doesn't come with most of it.

Thanks.

Yes, is the short and simple answer.
    I've a medical condition too- I need not infrequent blood transfusions and/or iron infusions- though most people would imagine I'm one of the healthiest people around if they didn't know my medical history.
    I deliberately don't tell people there is anything wrong with me- unless I absolutely need to- because people do tend to pidgeon hole you and attach a label to you.
    I manage to work- though its incredibly hard at times- and I have collapsed in work a few times, and have fallen down a flight of stairs there on one occasion when I fainted. My immediate manager is aware that if I need to lie-down- I have to, or else he'll have someone unconscious at a desk a short time later- and in general, I manage.

People do label those seen as less capable than themselves- its a simple fact of life- it happens from the very first day in junior infants in primary school- where the person who is different is an object of interest just because they're different- and unfortunately- being different is not helpful as you go through life- blending in, where possible, becomes that which you aim to do at all costs.

You don't need to explain yourself to anyone- don't try to- just do your own thing- and hopefully you'll manage to live as happily as you can in your community. Its no-one elses business whats wrong with you- unless you decide to tell them.

Beir bua.

Advertisement