Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick star trek fan club in the Glentworth hotel

• 08-03-2014 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember the limerick star trek fan club in the Glentworth hotel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

tonyheaney wrote: »

I remember and was a member of one that used to meet in termights in the Savoy back in the day.

I can remember one 'convention' in the glentworth alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

source wrote: »
    I remember and was a member of one that used to meet in termights in the Savoy back in the day.

I can remember one 'convention' in the glentworth alright.

Thats right we used t use termites also some times. I remember that very well. Was the main guy called Damon???

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So.... You guys still fans? :)

always and forever as geeky as that sounds

It could have been, I really can't remember it was that long ago.

And MarkR, you could say I still have an interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭squonk

Never joined the Limerick ST fan club as I wasn't based here but in college I was a member of the college fan club which started out as a Star Trek fan club, Star Trek: DCU, then shortened to ST:DCU and then renamed to Strange Things:DCU after a cease and desist letter was received from Paramount quibbling over the use of the Star Trek name for the club! Our club filled a big void back in the day where we received copies of taped episodes of TNG about one week after they aired stateside. The club expanded to show X Files and Red Dwarf and I think we were the first group in Ireland to see DS9 after it premiered. Nowadays that function has fallen away with the arrival of services like Netflix. I beleive the club still exists in DCU.

I don't get to watch much Star Trek these days but still love it. Sadly we don't have that much new material now to discuss or entertain us. I'm not a fan of the rebootsand generally think its sad to see such a great series having taken the direction it's not gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I went when it was in the Savoy and to the convention in the Glentworth were we got to see the first episode of Voyager. Strangely enough, I also remember a guy called Tony Heaney at the club.

iguana wrote: »
    I went when it was in the Savoy and to the convention in the Glentworth were we got to see the first episode of Voyager. Strangely enough, I also remember a guy called Tony Heaney at the club.

We're all coming out of the woodwork now, I used to do the miniatures game with a mate of mine. Oh and I think I won third place for my very lazy and boring trill costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noonan23

There was a Limerick Star Trek Convention that showed the first episode of Voyager in Hanrattys Hotel.
    It was run by an Irish wide Star Trek fan club chaired by a man named Damien Wise.

that was me :D

• Advertisement

noonan23 wrote: »
    There was a Limerick Star Trek Convention that showed the first episode of Voyager in Hanrattys Hotel.
    It was run by an Irish wide Star Trek fan club chaired by a man named Damien Wise.

Yes thats him i remember the hanratty also, the glentworth and the savoy. :D:D

tonyheaney wrote: »

would like to bump this up as I'd love any update from old friends :)

2014 and now its 2016 I wonder if the tony heaney was a weird guy lol :D:D:D:D:D

noonan23 wrote: »

Yes that's right I remember Damien Wise, also sorry for dragging up an old thread STAR TREK LIVES !!!!:D:D

Advertisement