Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

This is my new theory. The pilot locked the door when the FO left to go to the toilet. He went rogue because his wife left him taking the children with him. The cockpit door has been hardened since 9/11 and the crew and passengers were unable to break in.

Or his wife and children were being threatened so he got them to leave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Could the plane have landed in outback Aus, its so remote there, even a cult set off a nuke there in the nineties there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

one thing that doesnt bode well in terms of it being found in one piece on land, that if it did fly for 7 hours, it would have surely been spotted landing as it would have been getting bright at that stage.

No it would be about 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Another question for the technically minded regarding commercial aircraft. The pressurisation system in aircraft can be set to either auto or manual. Auto for in-service use for pressurising or depressurising depending on altitude, and manual for, i guess, mostly out of service use such as testing or fault finding. Question : Can the system be changed from Auto to Manual during flight, and if so, would it result in decompression if there was actually no manual input ? Also, if it resulted in decompression, would it be more rapid at higher altitude as opposed to lower ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

It's Either in the sea or a mountain. You cannot have a ''secret'' runway capaple of a 777 landing without somebody about ! My guess is a pilot that ''lost'' it. Hijackers could not switch everything off, Only the pilot could, Think about it ! Allah springs to mind !:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

So many unanswered questions. If it was a hijacking then you would imagine that someone on the plane would have contacted their loved ones via their phones (especially since they were allegedly still ringing after the point of lost contact) to let them know.

The pilot being solely responsible seems the more likely answer but as already pointed out, what about the co-pilot? If he was locked out of the cockpit again surely they would have alerted someone as to what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

One thing I have thought of in the last few days in relation to MH370 being hijacked and which is bothering me is the maps displayed on the in-flight entertainment system. I would find it very difficult to sleep on a plane and would frequently check the map just to see what the plane is currently flying over. Even though MH370 departed quite late, I am sure there were a couple of people doing the same who may have noticed that the plane was not heading towards China?

That is of course presuming that particular plane was equipped with something like that and that it was not disabled. Would the in-flight entertainment system be controlled from the flight deck or by the other crew onboard?

Also, I wonder if people have checked the 7 hours after MH370 "disappeared" between Malaysia and Vietnam on FR just in case there was an unexplained return along either of the two corridor the flight is now believed to have flown along?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

owenc wrote: »
    No it would be about 3am

incorrect. communication was lost one hour into the flight, at around 1.30 am, it contined flying for 6 more hours, 7 in total, brining it up to for arguments sake, 7.30 am. the maxiumum time zones they would have coverd in that time is 3, but more than likely 2, brining it back to about 5.30 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

incorrect. communication was lost one hour into the flight, at around 1.30 am, it contined flying for 6 more hours, 7 in total, brining it up to for arguments sake, 7.30 am. the maxiumum time zones they would have coverd in that time is 3, but more than likely 2, brining it back to about 5.30 am.

Plane takes off 12.41am
    1.07 ACARS was turned off.
    1.21am Transponder was turned off.
    PM confirms yesterday last satellite ping was 08.11am.

All KL local time.

finix wrote: »
    It's Either in the sea or a mountain. You cannot have a ''secret'' runway capaple of a 777 landing without somebody about ! My guess is a pilot that ''lost'' it. Hijackers could not switch everything off, Only the pilot could, Think about it ! Allah springs to mind !:eek:

Of course you could, there are many remote regions where you could build your own runway.

• Advertisement

Of course you could, there are many remote regions where you could build your own runway.
    And... ? Build your own runway ? Go on continue the story, I am interested Really. Please Carry On

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

You probably could land one on my neighbours driveway, if you chopped down a few trees. They did not switch evertthing off, I could probably switch off as much, especially if I did a little research. Also there is probably an owners manual in the glovebox with full instructions. Such information is probably available by pressing the help button too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

This runway is in Kyrgyztan.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?ll=42.507572,78.407235&spn=0.018507,0.042272&t=h&z=15&lci=com.panoramio.all
    No need to build one !

Presumably to organize such a hijack, they have the support and back up of an organization, ready to continue the plan whatever that may be.

If it was the case that the plane needed to be hidden from the rest of the Kyrgyztan population (if local farmers did indeed care to ask questions), there are some straight line roads in hidden valleys that could be used, somehow looking at Google, it does not seem a very frequented area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

How much is one of those planes worth, broken down into spare parts?
    I believe there's a big market in spare parts for planes. Just sayin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

pablo128 wrote: »

And sure while we're at it. How much are people worth these days for human trafficking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

V_Moth wrote: »
    One thing I have thought of in the last few days in relation to MH370 being hijacked and which is bothering me is the maps displayed on the in-flight entertainment system. I would find it very difficult to sleep on a plane and would frequently check the map just to see what the plane is currently flying over. Even though MH370 departed quite late, I am sure there were a couple of people doing the same who may have noticed that the plane was not heading towards China?

That is of course presuming that particular plane was equipped with something like that and that it was not disabled. Would the in-flight entertainment system be controlled from the flight deck or by the other crew onboard?

Also, I wonder if people have checked the 7 hours after MH370 "disappeared" between Malaysia and Vietnam on FR just in case there was an unexplained return along either of the two corridor the flight is now believed to have flown along?

Those maps would work off the systems that had been turned off presumably. If the pilot made an announcement that they were having some issues with the in flight entertainment and it needed to be turned off you wouldn't really think anything of it. I wouldn't anyway, I generally trust the pilots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

pablo128 wrote: »

Each part is numbered. Each part can be traced. Nobody would touch the parts with a barge pole.

Just sayin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

And... ? Build your own runway ? Go on continue the story, I am interested Really. Please Carry On

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Just thought I'd share an extract from the Wiki on Kyrgyztan (I'm learning something new today) :
    Airports[edit]
    At the end of the Soviet period there were about 50 airports and airstrips in Kyrgyzstan, many of them built primarily to serve military purposes in this border region so close to China. Only a few of them remain in service today. The Kyrgyzstan Air Company provides air transport to China, Russia, and other local countries.
    Manas International Airport near Bishkek is the main international airport, with services to Moscow, Tashkent, Almaty, Beijing, Urumqi, Istanbul, London, Baku, Dubai (from 7 Feb 2012).
    Osh Airport is the main air terminal in the south of the country, with daily connections to Bishkek.
    Jalal-Abad Airport is linked to Bishkek by daily flights. The national flag carrier, Kyrgyzstan, operates flights on BAe-146 aircraft. During the summer months, a weekly flight links Jalal-Abad with the Issyk-Kul Region.
    Other facilities built during the Soviet era are either closed down, used only occasionally or restricted to military use (e.g., Kant Air Base near Bishkek, which is used by the Russian Air Force).

bold and underlined mine.
    Out of 50 surely there must be some abandoned strip which could do the trick. I must admit from looking from above, the few I have spotted seem very short runways. Going to have another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Duiske wrote: »
    Another question for the technically minded regarding commercial aircraft. The pressurisation system in aircraft can be set to either auto or manual. Auto for in-service use for pressurising or depressurising depending on altitude, and manual for, i guess, mostly out of service use such as testing or fault finding. Question : Can the system be changed from Auto to Manual during flight, and if so, would it result in decompression if there was actually no manual input ? Also, if it resulted in decompression, would it be more rapid at higher altitude as opposed to lower ?

Yes it can be set to manual in flight. No it wouldn't result in decompression; strictly speaking. I'm not familiar with the 777 but the manual function would be coupled with a cabin altitude input. Normally the cabin altitude would be automatically set to around 8500ft, a comfortable level. In manual mode it can be set to any altitude and above 10000ft things get bad in terms of supply of oxygen to the brain and ability to remain conscious.
    I said strictly speaking above because you could possibly set cabin altitude to cruise altitude which would effectively depressurise the aircraft but it wouldn't be sudden "explosive" decompression.
    Decompression in general will have a greater affect the higher the aircraft is because the pressure difference with ambient will be greater.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, here is another interesting bit of info from the wiki :
    Banned airline status[edit]
    This country appears on the European Union's list of prohibited countries for the certification of airlines. This means that no airline which is registered in Kyrgyzstan may operate services of any kind within the European Union, due to safety standards which fail to meet European regulation

Although I'm rather fuzzy as to how it would be relevant, other than they can't possibly approach Europe with their own aircraft.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10700652/Malaysia-Airline-MH370-911-style-terror-allegations-resurface-in-case-of-lost-plane.html

An al-Qaeda supergrass told a court last week that four to five Malaysian men had been planning to take control of a plane, using a bomb hidden in a shoe to blow open the cockpit door.

fr336 wrote: »
    ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Total Rubbish cant even answer a Q ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Total Rubbish cant even answer a Q ? :rolleyes:

I wasn't the poster you replied to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10700652/Malaysia-Airline-MH370-911-style-terror-allegations-resurface-in-case-of-lost-plane.html

An al-Qaeda supergrass told a court last week that four to five Malaysian men had been planning to take control of a plane, using a bomb hidden in a shoe to blow open the cockpit door.
    More ****e

fr336 wrote: »
    I wasn't the poster you replied to.
    I apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If the wife and kids leaving the pilot story (unclear what happened there- visiting relatives or marital breakup?) plus the pilots known absolute love of flying it seems to me that maybe he wanted to commit suicide after taking one last long flight doing it all manually - full control. Crazy theory but who knows the state of his mind if his marriage was falling apart?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Another Crazy theory

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Any further comments on the potential for mid air collision... In a plane that was out of communication, and zig zagging all around?

I just cannot understand that any other aircraft in the vicinity would not have seen it.

And I thank the poster who replied to my other post saying the flight levels chosen by this plane would mean other aircraft would not fly in those levels.

Doesn't stop the question... Why did any other aircraft around not see them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Another Crazy theory

The whole thing is crazy! Also fits in with the flying to the roof of the 777 capability and to the floor, maybe he never did that before and wanted to to try it all one last time.
    My theory is just as crazy and any other one going around. Marital breakup seems as valid a reason as any for the pilot to lose the plot, certainly seems more likely than terrorists somehow getting control of the plane and landing it on a huge runway somewhere undetected for over a week! The whole thing is nuts.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement