Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

pablo128 wrote: »
    How much are you offering? I'll do a deal on a few of them!:pac:

Warning issued stay on topic. Read warning in post one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

did you see that the airline offered the families 5k for every missing passenger....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Ace2007 wrote: »
    did you see that the airline offered the families 5k for every missing passenger....

No I didn't and 5k what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Shocking if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

Im going to post a crazy theory here.

Maybe the plane just crashed, or ditched, into the sea, and eventually, as the sea is a big place, it will be found, or maybe it wont be found for a hundred years.

Most of the time, the most probable scenario is the right one.

People tend to want it to be something strange and weird.

Amelia Earhart is out there somewhere too. Maybe she will be found before this plane even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Jaybor wrote: »

Maybe the plane just crashed, or ditched, into the sea, and eventually, as the sea is a big place, it will be found, or maybe it wont be found for a hundred years.

Amelia Earhart is out there somewhere too. Maybe she will be found before this plane even.

Good theory. What about the change of course? Or the turning off of the beacon? Or the 6 hours of flight after the beacon being switched off?

You know, sometimes the crazy theory is actually the truth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

The Dagda wrote: »
    Good theory. What about the change of course? Or the turning off of the beacon?

Here's my question, why is, in my thinking a critical component such as a becaon or trasnponder whichever its called, why can it be turned off? You'd think something of that importance shouldn't be able to be turned off? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Its not a crazy theory, In fact it's the most sensible thing said on this thread ! Its gone and will probably be found in time without anyone knowing what really happened. I must Wiki/Google Amelia Earhart as I am not familiar with that story but will have a gawk anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

The Dagda wrote: »
    Good theory. What about the change of course? Or the turning off of the beacon? Or the 6 hours of flight after the beacon being switched off?

You know, sometimes the crazy theory is actually the truth...

I bet my theory is 99% more likely than any other theory.

The simple answer is we dont know. So, until any fantastic theory is proven, its got about the same weight as a theory about aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Could the plane have landed in outback Aus, its so remote there, even a cult set off a nuke there in the nineties there.

Ammm, no there wasn't.
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2285/did-the-aum-shinrikyo-cult-detonate-an-atom-bomb-in-australia

Plane may have been able to reach the outback but I for one wouldn't fancy trying to land a 777 on anything other than a properly rated runway if I wanted to survive the experience.

• Advertisement

just a kind of aside question, do airlines not know where their airplanes go once they take off?

basically are they ATC problem once they take off?

so would malaysia ATC have any contact with Vietnam ATC to tell them that the plane had passed over?
    or is that completely up to the pilots?
    when they sign off with malaysia ATC, is it up to the pilots to sign on with ATC vietnam?
    do different countries ATC's have contact with each other?

basically, when im a malaysian airplane in a couple of weeks ( or any other airline for that matter ) is there any chance they keep any eye on their planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I bet my theory is 99% more likely than any other theory.

The simple answer is we dont know. So, until any fantastic theory is proven, its got about the same weight as a theory about aliens.

No it is not, and it doesn't have the same weight as any other theory.

There are known facts in this case, and plenty of other information becoming available as time goes on. Any "theory" has to fit these. And it seems the most likely explanation is a hijacking either by crew or passengers.

Why and what was the end result are open questions at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

irishmover wrote: »
    No I didn't and 5k what?
    hefferboi wrote: »
    Shocking if true.

on the Wikipedia page about the crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Here's my question, why is, in my thinking a critical component such as a becaon or trasnponder whichever its called, why can it be turned off? You'd think something of that importance shouldn't be able to be turned off? :confused:

Ah mr.P you show your face in my other haunt :)

When they're on the ground they don't need to transmit position and would only muddle radar close to airport :)
    As far as I know anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Good question. And why don't they make the whole plane outta the same stuff they make the black boxes out of? You know, with that stuff being indestructible and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

YbFocus wrote: »
    Ah mr.P you show your face in my other haunt :)

When they're on the ground they don't need to transmit position and would only muddle radar close to airport :)
    As far as I know anyway.

Well fancy seeing you here!

It came up in conversation today, i know jack all about planes but it just bewildered me as to why it can be turned off :confused:

But i guess thats why!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

been following this thread most of the week, interesting stuff, thanks to all who are contributing.

just said i'd drop a post in seeing as a few other motors regulars are around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Supercell wrote: »
    If the wife and kids leaving the pilot story (unclear what happened there- visiting relatives or marital breakup?) plus the pilots known absolute love of flying it seems to me that maybe he wanted to commit suicide after taking one last long flight doing it all manually - full control. Crazy theory but who knows the state of his mind if his marriage was falling apart?

Maybe he wanted to kill himself but didn't want his family/life assurance company/anyone else knowing that he did it intentionally. So he tried to avoid leaving a trail and in the end crashing into the Indian Ocean where it would never be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

At this point I suspect the thread is akin to this sad saga with all initial resident experts gone to ground (puntended), pseuds and mediaxperts popping in with their theory of the hour, pundits and punters tossing the arguments and nobody getting any the wiser.:confused:

The look of exasperation and dispair on the faces of the families as they try to make any sense of latest "revelations" is just pitiful.:(
    brilou23 wrote: »
    just heard it perfectly explained on googlebox its like trying find a earring in a 200 acre field
    And the first problem is to find the field..... on a map of Asia:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Just enough to cover the funeral expenses?

zetalambda wrote: »

I've done a search and couldn't find anyone reporting on '5k' compensation for families. More speculative bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

zetalambda wrote: »

The money given to families was not compensation for the loss of their loved ones. On day 3 since the plane went missing the airline gave 3500euro I think it was for hotel expenses for the families staying in hotels near the airport waiting for news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Could the plane have landed in outback Aus, its so remote there, even a cult set off a nuke there in the nineties there.

Please post the link to this made upa piece of crap interesting fact

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

finix wrote: »

Flight registration on the video: 9M-MRQ

Flight of this incident: 9M-MRO

News headlines in Australia are now 'pilot was a political fanatic and may have hijacked the plane'

It's looking increasingly more like the Pilot may have been involved but the media really love to over do things.

News headlines in Australia are now 'pilot was a political fanatic and may have hijacked the plane'

It's looking increasingly more like the Pilot may have been involved but the media really love to over do things.

Is that you Jonjo,,,,,,,Where's the link???????

old_aussie wrote: »
    Is that you Jonjo,,,,,,,Where's the link???????

there you go

How about turn on your tv in Australia aswell. Just seen it for the 10th time on a break on Channel 10 for the F1.

:rolleyes:

Also, who the hell is jonjo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Does anyone else feel uneasy as to why Malaysia would ask India to stop searching the Andamon islands and Bay of Bengal areas?
    It's Indias resourses that is being spent in trying to search, right?

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26599394

• Advertisement

there you go

How about turn on your tv in Australia aswell. Just seen it for the 10th time on a break on Channel 10 for the F1.
    ?

That's why it's free-to-air TV,

I don't watch free-to-air TV as they'll talk crap endlessly.

An ad for a TV show????

P.S. still no link as to anything of support.

Advertisement