Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

old_aussie wrote: »
    That's why it's free-to-air TV,

I don't watch free-to-air TV as they'll talk crap endlessly.

An ad for a TV show????

P.S. still no link as to anything of support.

Good man yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Was missing Malaysian Airlines plane brought down by a shoe bomber?

And yesterday his accomplice Saajid Badat, 34, gave evidence in a New York trial that Al Qaeda had a similar plan that same year for terrorists to blow their way into a plane’s cockpit using hidden explosives.

Their target was to be a Malaysian Airlines jet like Malaysian Airlines Flight MH 370, a Boeing 777 with 239 people on board, which disappeared last Saturday morning as it flew over the South China Sea.

No distress signal or message was sent and no wreckage from the China-bound plane has yet been found.

and a link to the story, so it doesn't look like I'm making crap up

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/464616/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-latest-Was-missing-plane-brought-down-by-a-shoe-bomber

There's a link. It done the search for you and you still couldn't manage it.. You could also turn on your tv.

I find it funny you post something about a shoe bomb from the express and see that as more credible than news reporting on 'free to air' channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The pilot being a political activist means nothing at all to this case! You may as we'll say that one of the passengers once commented that he it she would love to know what it's like to fly a plane it's such a loose and thin speculation it's almost laughable. Fact is we still have no clue what exactly happened up there and who is responsible.

The pilot being a political activist means nothing at all to this case! You may as we'll say that one of the passengers once commented that he it she would love to know what it's like to fly a plane it's such a loose and thin speculation it's almost laughable. Fact is we still have no clue what exactly happened up there and who is responsible.

Exactly. The media jumping on this political fanatic thing just shows how much they love to jump on controversial ideas. First time I seen anything about this was on Australian news hence why I used the word Australia.

Similar to this shoe bomb ****e posted above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

What happened the pilots wife?? What do you mean she left with kids? Left him? Or went visiting etc? Have the authorities managed to find her and speak to her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

We have a few clues. For example, deliberate human actions to disable the transponder (done by someone such as the pilot who knows about the aircraft), a change in direction of the flight path, and changes in altitude (apparently designed to avoid radar detection). It is extremely unusual for a pilot to built a flight simulator in his home, the only purpose of which is to practice landing at an unfamiliar airport. My money is on the pilot who had the opportunity and means to do all this, leaving the question as to motive.

Popescu wrote: »
    We have a few clues. For example, deliberate human actions to disable the transponder (done by someone such as the pilot who knows about the aircraft), a change in direction of the flight path, and changes in altitude (apparently designed to avoid radar detection). It is extremely unusual for a pilot to built a flight simulator in his home, the only purpose of which is to practice landing at an unfamiliar airport. My money is on the pilot who had the opportunity and means to do all this, leaving the question as to motive.

And in regards the political fanaticism. The opposition leader of Malaysia was jailed for 5 years hours before this flight with the pilot present at the trial.

It's still over sensationalizing the situation by the media.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2581817/Doomed-airliner-pilot-political-fanatic-Hours-taking-control-flight-MH370-attended-trial-jailed-opposition-leader-sodomite.html

*Better provide a link this time otherwise I'll be tracked down by Old_Aussie and handed a beating...

irishmover wrote: »
    And in regards the political fanaticism. The opposition leader of Malaysia was jailed for 5 years hours before this flight with the pilot present at the trial.
    This speaks to motive. As a fanatical supporter of Anwar Ibrahim, he must have been furious at the imprisonment of the opposition leader only hours before he took control of the aircraft. Most likely he was on the verge of some psychological breakdown and the trial was the last straw.
    It's still over sensationalizing the situation by the media. ...
    The event is high on the scale of sensationalism.

Most likely he was on the verge of some psychological breakdown and the trial was the last straw.

Will just focus on this.

Nobody knows what was going through his mind and it is possible based on the above but it still annoys me watching the persons name being dragged through the dirt with no concrete evidence to suggest anything.

What I'd like to know is where his wife is and if she has spoken to investigators. She should be capable of giving a good indication of his mental state right around the time of the trial and flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Will just focus on this.

Nobody knows what was going through his mind and it is possible based on the above but it still annoys me watching the persons name being dragged through the dirt with no concrete evidence to suggest anything.

What I'd like to know is where his wife is and if she has spoken to investigators. She should be capable of giving a good indication of his mental state right around the time of the trial and flight.
    I read somewhere else that they were divorced but still living in the same house..No idea if thats true or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This speaks to motive. As a fanatical supporter of Anwar Ibrahim, he must have been furious at the imprisonment of the opposition leader only hours before he took control of the aircraft. Most likely he was on the verge of some psychological breakdown and the trial was the last straw.

The event is high on the scale of sensationalism.

I'm really in the zone of skipping out on this thread because of all the ill-informed assumptions.

Given the available information, we are talking about a well planned execution here. That's not something you plan a few hours after someone is imprisoned.

"He must have been " - you don't know this, you cannot assert it.

What I see here is that people are frantically looking for simple explanations for something which is highly opaque. There is evidence to suggest that someone competent at the front of the aircraft directed it. We can clearly put the two pilots at the top of the list of candidates but you cannot guarantee or say "must" that if they did fly that plane, they did it of their own volition either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Colser wrote: »
    I read somewhere else that they were divorced but still living in the same house..No idea if thats true or not

This is a key issue with this event.

An awful lot of what is reported can be filed under the heading of "no idea if that's true or not".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Calina wrote: »

An awful lot of what is reported can be filed under the heading of "no idea if that's true or not".

An awful lot of what is reported can be filed under the heading of "no idea but I just bent over and pulled this theory out of my arse".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Can anyone post that interview of his friend admitting the pilot was into political activism? He seemed really uneasy even saying it

I'm really in the zone of skipping out on this thread because of all the ill-informed assumptions.
    In what respect was my post ill-informed, Calina.
    Given the available information, we are talking about a well planned execution here. That's not something you plan a few hours after someone is imprisoned.
    There is no contradiction here. If the pilot was fixated on the treatment of Anwar Ibrahim, he would have had many months to ruminate and plan some desperate action leading up to the latest trial. The verdict would then have been the signal for action in his own obsessed mind.
    "He must have been " - you don't know this, you cannot assert it.
    I should think there is no question about it, given his level of interest in the trial's outcome.
    What I see here is that people are frantically looking for simple explanations for something which is highly opaque.
    The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
    There is evidence to suggest that someone competent at the front of the aircraft directed it. We can clearly put the two pilots at the top of the list of candidates but you cannot guarantee or say "must" that if they did fly that plane, they did it of their own volition either.
    There are other speculations but the most obvious candidate is an unbalanced pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

What's really sad is the absence of the pilots/engineers that we're posting here from the outset. Great information on many things flight related and plausible scenarios given. Unfortunately "silly season" has well and truly sunk it's claws into what was an intriguing thread only a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

This is a key issue with this event.

Fair enough I actually agree that a huge ammount of stuff could be filed away like that but is that not to be expected in this very unusual situation? Also my post was in reply to someone that asked about the pilots wife and I did say that I wasnt sure if it was true.I think it would be difficult to say that anything that would be said about the pilot and his wife could be 100% true as no one knows what goes on in any couples relationship .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

John Bolton on Fox News. Jaysus.

News conference on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

This thread is now just like all the property threads.
    Full of ideas and pulling quotes off this and that source and pretending that posting some idea means that you are somehow knowledgeable.
    When actually they are nothing of the sort.
    Just like all the people in the property threads who actually did seem to know something about economics have left those threads, so have the pilots and aviation workers here.
    Best leave it now til there is hard evidence to say what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Great command of the English language by the officials at those conferences. It makes a mockery of us and our language skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Jaybor wrote: »
    This thread is now just like all the property threads.
    Full of ideas and pulling quotes off this and that source and pretending that posting some idea means that you are somehow knowledgeable.
    When actually they are nothing of the sort.
    Just like all the people in the property threads who actually did seem to know something about economics have left those threads, so have the pilots and aviation workers here.
    Best leave it now til there is hard evidence to say what happened.

About the only sensible post I have seen in about 3000 posts.

Jesus this topic is a bit like watching Sky news, every theory that could possibly have been dragged up just so that someone can turn around later on and say they thought of it first.

Reality check folks: the captain/copilot did it, it's at the bottom of the sea and we may never know exactly what happened, yes they will find debris but probably not for many months until some fisherman drags it up in his nets.

I can't wait to get our forum back.

urajoke wrote: »
    ... Jesus this topic is a bit like watching Sky news, every theory that could possibly have been dragged up just so that someone can turn around later on and say they thought of it first.
    Some theories are more plausible than others.
    Reality check folks: the captain/copilot did it, it's at the bottom of the sea and we may never know exactly what happened, yes they will find debris but probably not for many months until some fisherman drags it up in his nets.
    This is your theory but you need to rule out that the plane landed somewhere or crashed on dry land. I suspect the United States already know its whereabouts but want it to be located in some conventional manner so as to maintain some confidentiality about its capabilities.
    I can't wait to get our forum back.
    You cannot blame members for being curious about a disappearing passenger jet and speculating about the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

You better ring up the malaysians and tell them that, I'm sure they will be glad to know what happened now that you have concrete proof of it. Mystery solved everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

But totally get why people want to speculate and debate, there are no rules against either and it happens every time there's an incident. This ones just obviously dragging on way longer then in the past and with social media the interest from the general public is far higher then normal.

Doesnt make it easy reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

The plane could have been hijacked by passengers using their mobile phones. Could bring in new hasher restrictions on mobile devices if true??
    World's first cyber hijack: Was missing Malaysia Airlines flight hacked with mobile phone?

INTELLIGENCE chiefs fear the missing Malaysian airliner was hijacked by hackers taking over the controls using a mobile phone.

British anti-terror expert Dr Sally Leivesley said last night: “It might well be the world’s first cyber hijack.”

Dr Leivesley, a former Home Office scientific adviser, said the hackers could change the plane’s speed, altitude and direction by sending radio signals to its flight management system. It could then be landed or made to crash by remote control. Possible culprits include criminal gangs, terrorists or a foreign power.

She explained: “What we are finding now is that it is possible with a mobile phone to initiate a signal to a preset piece of malicious software, or malware, in the computer that ­initiates a whole set of instructions.

“It is possible for hackers, be they part of organised crime or with government backgrounds, to get into the main computer network of the plane through the inflight, onboard entertainment system.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/465126/Missing-Malaysia-Airlines-plane-may-have-been-cyber-hijacked-using-mobile-phone

The plane could have been hijacked by passengers using their mobile phones. Could bring in new hasher restrictions on mobile devices if true??

Thats been done.
    Die Hard 2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099423/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The next theory I suppose will be
    Lost
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411008/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Not possible.

Autopilot......................... ... .. Disconnect
    Autothrottle........................... Disconnect
    A/P disengage bar............ ... Pull
    Primary flight computers...... Off

Control is then totally with the person whose hands are on the control column and thrust levers.

Thats been done.
    Die Hard 2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099423/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The next theory I suppose will be
    Lost
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411008/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Have they released the full ATC transcript yet?? It would be interesting to hear what was said between the time (14mins) the ACARS and the transponder being turned off. Note they turned off the transponder just after they signed off with Malaysian ATC with "All right, Goodnight".

Advertisement