Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

LordSutch wrote: »
    Time for the transponder 'off knob to be removed.

That would make for a fairly cluttered ground radar view of airports!

But after the results of this incident come to light, anything may be in the pipeline.

pclancy wrote: »
    That would make for a fairly cluttered ground radar view of airports!

But after the results of this incident come to light, anything may be in the pipeline.

including wasps :)
    :eek:
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Jake1 wrote: »
    including wasps :)
    :eek:
    ;)

Dont push it Jake1.

Read the warning in post 1 before replying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I was banned from this thread for two days for telling someone to do something useful with their time and read a report, this thread has been allowed to continue discussion about the actions of a pilot(s) with zero evidence despite warnings from mods who are in direct contradiction of themselves in relation to the feelings of families.

This is not questioning the freedom of speech but the morals of posters and mods alike. It is appalling how someone is allowed to say person x is most probably responsible for the loss of flight x due to whatever reason, with no evidence. There is zero evidence of either pilot being responsible for any actions, and how some of you can post here saying ''it's most probably the pilots'' is disgusting frankly, would us in opposite industries speculate to the loss of others? no.

However aviation seems to attract the speculatives, those who believe they have the right to insult the families of those missing with no conclusive evidence. Until we have confirmed information in relation to crew/passengers, I believe it is wrong to speculate to those missing until that point. Apparently now also, simulators are WMD's, not only laughable, but damn right ridiculous. A tip for some, before you post think of the meaning of your posts to the families of those missing, it would do wonders for your credibility and most importantly for the families.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

There is quite a lot of evidence that one of the pilots was involved. For example the ACARS system was turned off before communication finished with the ATC. "All right, good night" was what the pilot said. By this stage the ACARS system had been turned off and the chain of events had started, yet he acted normally.

Then the plane turned around exactly in between Vietnamese and Malaysian airspace. Finally, it's been established that whoever did this had a lot of experience. But no passengers on the flight have been discovered to have experience flying a 777 or anything similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

There is quite a lot of evidence that one of the pilots was involved. For example the ACARS system was turned off before communication finished with the ATC. "All right, good night" was what the pilot said. By this stage the ACARS system had been turned off and the chain of events had started, yet he acted normally.

Then the plane turned around exactly in between Vietnamese and Malaysian airspace. Finally, it's been established that whoever did this had a lot of experience. But no passengers on the flight have been discovered to have experience flying a 777 or anything similar.

Simple question, what evidence do you have, the flight deck was not compromised at that point? Both pilots have 238 lives in there heads. I'm referring to evidence in direct relation to individuals, there is not one shred of evidence so far of the 12 crew onboard and their actions nor the actions of 227 passengers - It may come across to people, oh Jack what should we talk about? Well for a start factual information in relation to individuals. In this country to speculate to individuals e.g. murder(s) is wrong, why in some people's opinion is it ok to speculate to the actions of those onboard who are in charge of safety or flying passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Jack1985 wrote: »
    I was banned from this thread for two days for telling someone to do something useful with their time and read a report, this thread has been allowed to continue discussion about the actions of a pilot(s) with zero evidence despite warnings from mods who are in direct contradiction of themselves in relation to the feelings of families.

This is not questioning the freedom of speech but the morals of posters and mods alike. It is appalling how someone is allowed to say person x is most probably responsible for the loss of flight x due to whatever reason, with no evidence. There is zero evidence of either pilot being responsible for any actions, and how some of you can post here saying ''it's most probably the pilots'' is disgusting frankly, would us in opposite industries speculate to the loss of others? no.

However aviation seems to attract the speculatives, those who believe they have the right to insult the families of those missing with no conclusive evidence. Until we have confirmed information in relation to crew/passengers, I believe it is wrong to speculate to those missing until that point. Apparently now also, simulators are WMD's, not only laughable, but damn right ridiculous. A tip for some, before you post think of the meaning of your posts to the families of those missing, it would do wonders for your credibility and most importantly for the families.

Jack1985.

Im guessing that you cant play by the rules of the forum, discussing mods decision's on thread is against the site policy.
    As this is a discussion forum both sides of the discussion are permitted be that factual or not.

If users wish to use media sources this is allowed. Speculation is part of discussion and as such is permitted.

From your previous ban you have not bothered to read the rules as requested. You have had two bans with a total duration of three days as you have not learnt from this you are receiving a week ban.

On your return please re-read the warnings on thread and post 1.

New reports say that it may have dropped to 5000 feet. This is a very strange case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I fear we will never know what happened, amazing the media is still interested nearly ten days later. I hope they find something but I am very skeptical here and fear we are not being told the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

andy_g wrote: »
    Dont push it Jake1.

Read the warning in post 1 before replying again.

Etihad A332 wasp incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Snowc wrote: »
    As an observer of this thread from day one,

Andy its easy to see why there is a large thread on reddit about your modding with posts like this :rolleyes: Its strange how pclancy can mod without handing out warnings for the smallest things and bold typed posts every page ?

Awaits bold typed post and warning

post warning :D

Dapics wrote: »
    The plane could have depressurized due to a generator failure and diodes burning out. If the generator was faulty and the diode/s burned out, then This would cause a voltage surge and could have knock out the communications (ACARS) whilst leaving the radio on. (Would explain the difference in times when the two communications equipement were turned off).
    Combine this would an electrical explosion/fire and you have depressurisation of the plane due to a hull rupture, causing everyone to pass out/die from hypoxia (Lack of oxygen) and the radio being knocked out.

With no pilots, The plane would continue to climb to 40,000 plus feet before stalling and then going to a lower altitude before running out of fuel and falling into the ocean. (All planes have an air ceiling which limits how high they can go). The fact it was pinged by satelites for up to 5 hours after communications were lost lends credence to this theory.
    How could it have continued to climb??? : throttles on the 777 are fully digital and the engines are supposed to attempt to develop full thrust. If it was facing west when this was happening then it would go out into the indian ocean.

Just a theory that ties up all the details.

Also look up Helios Airways flight 512... some aspects of this scenario have occured before.

And.... Egyptair flight 667 where an electrical fire ruptured the hull of the plane.

The electrical system is very resilient. The generators automatically trip off line when their voltage or frequency becomes unstable or breaches a threshold.
    The electrical bus distribution system also can automatically separate and isolate any rogue buses through a series of bus tie breakers.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with the theory that the throttles are supposed to develop full thrust. Thrust output demanded by the Autothrottle System is dependent on the mode selected and phase of flight.

Thanks for that. Am still puzzled though. See the pic in my post no. 3166 (if you can br ar€ed!)..

The only dial I can see there with an off switch is the white one on the bottom RHS Is that the Transponder?

That is the ALT RPTG OFF position.
    In this position, the transponder is still active in modes A & S, but altitude reporting is turned off.
    So basically, it's still fully functional, but just doesn't report the altitude to ATC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Jack1985 wrote: »

It's interesting how the news narrative is now stating that the "crew did it" is a matter of fact zero evidence.

I can't why the relevance of the pilot having a home made flight simulator. He was a qualified pilot after all and had access to the real thing if he wanted to.

Also if the pilot did somehow take control of the plane by himself and headed off towards some unknown destination on land, you can be guaranteed that mobiles would have been switched on creating potential electronic foot prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Five Lamps wrote: »
    It's interesting how the news narrative is now stating that the "crew did it" is a matter of fact zero evidence.

I can't why the relevance of the pilot having a home made flight simulator. He was a qualified pilot after all and had access to the real thing if he wanted to.

Also if the pilot did somehow take control of the plane by himself and headed off towards some unknown destination on land, you can be guaranteed that mobiles would have been switched on creating potential electronic foot prints.
    I totally agree...I cant help thinking that the flip side to that theory is more believable...Plane is hijacked by person/people with all the knowledge about transponder ect but not actually able to fly the plane..Try to make the pilot carry out something similar to 9/11 ..He knows the result is fatal for all those on board anyway so he refuses to fly to the destination where more lives will be lost..could he not be the hero in all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

I honestly think this plane is parked up somewhere.... If it was terrorist they would of come out by now and publicised it..... If it was suicide there would be evidence of that.... I just have a feeling this is sitting in a desert somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

What are the chances it diverted towards Diego Garcia and was shot down by US forces there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Can a pilot turn off the air supply to the cabin?? Might explain why the plane went up to 45,000 feet, knocked out all the passangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Can a pilot turn off the air supply to the cabin?? Might explain why the plane went up to 45,000 feet, knocked out all the passangers.

You only need to be above 15,000ft to do that. A reason to go to FL45 would be to avoid as much civilian air traffic as possible while flying without ATC support and with tracking turned off.

This 45,000 feet thing is just speculation. A Trent 892 powered 772 loaded with 200+ pax and 8 hours worth of fuel is going to get nowhere near FL450 before it runs out of the required engine thrust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Nobody had any problems with the press and posters speculating that those on stolen passports did it. When somebody is vested with responsibility for the safety of 2 to 3 hundred lives and for lives on the ground it should be the first thing that is done (a full investigation of the crew and searches) when an incident like this occurs imo. If pilots have nothing to hide I can't see why it would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

When you think about the scenario that the plane flew in the northern corridor after last contact with the satellite someone would have picked it up on radar. All media outlets have it arcing toward Kazakhstan, over areas such as Myanmar, Nepal, northern India. There is very little chance that it would have made this journey without being tracked on radar which leads me to believe that we are not being told anywhere near the whole story. The theory that it took the southern route is not a popular view as this would most likely lead to a sea crash landing but if there is no data to suggest it flew over "middle Asia" it must be somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

If a pilot was in that position and had been hijacked with all communication turned off what could he do to try and draw attention to the situation? Would he go to 45000 (if it diid happen) for that reason? Would he be hopeful that the plane would show up on some radar somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

amdublin wrote: »

Maybe their ultimate goal failed and they crashed somewhere ?

hence no one claiming it ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is the only 100% sure and definite contact from the plane the last contact with ATC?
    All these satellite pings, radar appearances etc., are they probably/most likely/seem to be from the plane, or do they carry an identifier that says they are definitely the plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

spurious wrote: »
    Is the only 100% sure and definite contact from the plane the last contact with ATC?
    All these satellite pings, radar appearances etc., are they probably/most likely/seem to be from the plane, or do they carry an identifier that says they are definitely the plane?

I suspect Inmarsat need an identifier to route traffic although the identifier isn't something as printable as 777MH370_8March.

According to this morning's press conference, apparently, the last words to Malaysian ATC before handoff were from the co-pilot. For those of you panicking about the captain, this might be worth some consideration. Yesterday's presser suggested some of the communications had already been switched off at that point.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2023142479_apxmalaysiaplane.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have a sinking feeling that the truth behind this incident will never come out and be buried amidst a confusing mass of theories from the Malaysian side and the US side- the search will be scaled down and after a few weeks eventually called off and the world will move on and forget as the latest story pushes this to the end of the ladder and in the end this will just be dismissed as "location unknown somewhere in the Indian Ocean"...if thats the case then it scares the hell out of me that more than 200 people can just completely vanish and neither technology nor skill can locate them in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Can anyone with a better memory/googling skills than me, give the precise times of the following?

Last transmission of ACARS data: 1.07AM (I think?)
    Last contact with ATC: 1.17AM (I think?)
    Confirmed time transponder turned off: ??????

Sky journos seem to be exploring the notion that things had potentially already kicked off, prior to final contact with ATC?

Edit - I see Calina has gotten there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

I was thinking this for a few days; everyone's talking about the possibility of it being the pilot who hijacked the plane but not many are considering the possibility of it being the co-pilot

Advertisement