Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

Is there any site online where I can watch videos of all the Press Conferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

The electrical system is very resilient. The generators automatically trip off line when their voltage or frequency becomes unstable or breaches a threshold.
    The electrical bus distribution system also can automatically separate and isolate any rogue buses through a series of bus tie breakers.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with the theory that the throttles are supposed to develop full thrust. Thrust output demanded by the Autothrottle System is dependent on the mode selected and phase of flight.

I neglected to consider this. Kudos, good reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Is there any site online where I can watch videos of all the Press Conferences?

I'd be interested in this too. It seems, unless you catch them live, the subsequent coverage seems to leave bits and pieces out. Or they'll show the initial statements, but not the later replies to questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ror_74 wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, the longer this goes on the less likely it is that they are parked somewhere. Aside from the planning and logistics of keeping 230 odd people fed and looked after, someone somewhere would notice or get word out..or something.

I would be more inclined to think the opposite, if you rob a plane for terrorist purposes you probably wouldn't think twice of killing all the passengers, had the passengers being American maybe they would be worth something, otherwise probably not.

2 Questions I would like to know the answers to.

If the plane crashed into the ocean, what are the chances of it being in one piece at the bottom of the ocean, and hence nothing is floating about.

And if this plane is on the ground, would it be detected if it went into the air, or could they switch everything off, and then following on from this, would it be highly impossible for this plane to get over to say the US without being detected?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

What do people make of this?

Sounds plausible. Saying the plane shadowed another plane.

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

franglan wrote: »
    When you think about the scenario that the plane flew in the northern corridor after last contact with the satellite someone would have picked it up on radar. All media outlets have it arcing toward Kazakhstan, over areas such as Myanmar, Nepal, northern India. There is very little chance that it would have made this journey without being tracked on radar which leads me to believe that we are not being told anywhere near the whole story.

I don't know, I think the Northern Corridor is a possibility, but we are not told the ins and outs of it.

Myanmar is not the most peaceful, trouble free place to be crossing. Something could have happened over that airspace, or maybe the pilot was aware (or told) of a particular route and elevation to choose to avoid specific radars there.
    How is Nepal equipped for radar coverage ? How assiduous is their radar watch ?

I think India has stated that they "think" the plane would have been spotted had it crossed over its Northern territories.
    Afghanistan has also stated officially that it did not detect anything.

We just don't know about Nepal and Myanmar, and would the remote areas of China leading to Kyrgyztan have primary radar coverage ?

There have been no reports on these points as far as I know, surely it should be easy to tell if monitoring of airspace is 100% foolproof, and nothing has been spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nitpick....

They are called the Captain and the First Officer. The only people who refer to the flight crew as "the pilot and co-pilot" are the uninformed media.

and so what? they are pilots, they fly planes, who f*cking cares what they are called?

suppose you also call your binman an ""waste management and disposal technician" or your lifeguard a "wet leisure assistant"?

no need to be so pedantic ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

quad_red wrote: »
    What do people make of this?

Sounds plausible. Saying the plane shadowed another plane.

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68

Any expert comment on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Nitpick....

They are called the Captain and the First Officer. The only people who refer to the flight crew as "the pilot and co-pilot" are the uninformed media.

Yeah except the Irish Aviation Authority who have legally defined what a Co-Pilot is in statatory law but makes no mention of First Officer. Stop your whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

and so what? they are pilots, they fly planes, who f*cking cares what they are called?

suppose you also call your binman an ""waste management and disposal technician" or your lifeguard a "wet leisure assistant"?

It's not being pedantic.

Captain and First Officer refers to seniority. Pilot and Co-Pilot infers that one the pilot is flying the plane and is being assisted (radio/comms/checklists/flight management) by the co-pilot.

The captain has authority but isn't necessarily always the pilot flying.

It's an important distinction to be made in an investigation like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Any expert comment on this?

Not an expert but I doubt this is possible. The only way an aircraft can know of another one close by is if the collision avoidance alarm is triggered.

An aircraft can't see another one except in daylight and clear conditions. Even then it's impossible to know what speed / heading etc. the other aircraft is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

eatmyshorts,

You are wrecking our buzz.

Feck me.

irishmover wrote: »
    Wouldn't call him an expert. If he was he'd be paid to give his view points by the media.

Oh my god lol..the same media that caters to mentioned stupid people? Yes...

The media want simple and more importantly 'exciting' titbits from self imposed 'experts'. Not saying it's a rule 100% of the time but generally yes.

Going by this thread the general public at large are more than happy to go from one silly theory to another all in the name of 'entertainment'. Get a life springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

fr336 wrote: »
    Oh my god lol..the same media that caters to mentioned stupid people? Yes...

The media want simple and more importantly 'exciting' titbits from self imposed 'experts'. Not saying it's a rule 100% of the time but generally yes.

Going by this thread the general public at large are more than happy to go from one silly theory to another all in the name of 'entertainment'. Get a life springs to mind

Well FR336,
    Do you have a reliable source full of fully factual information as the story progresses, that is not "media" ????

This story is extremely interesting, how can a Boeing 777 disappear with 239 people? Obviously people are going to speculate so let them? Literally anything could have been possible to happen to this plane as we have no information so if all you're going to do is give out about people using this thread to discuss and understand the situation how about you back off and stop bashing others opinions
    all in the name of 'entertainment'

Well FR336,
    Do you have a reliable source full of fully factual information as the story progresses, that is not "media" ????

This story is extremely interesting, how can a Boeing 777 disappear with 239 people? Obviously people are going to speculate so let them? Literally anything could have been possible to happen to this plane as we have no information so if all you're going to do is give out about people using this thread to discuss and understand the situation how about you back off and stop bashing others opinions

Well, you got me there I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Quite the little tetchy man today, aren't we?

Quite the little tetchy man today, aren't we?

And completely wrong. There's many situations to call people pedantic, that was not it. Whatever about someone's attitude it doesn't make them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

keith16 wrote: »
    Not an expert but I doubt this is possible. The only way an aircraft can know of another one close by is if the collision avoidance alarm is triggered.

An aircraft can't see another one except in daylight and clear conditions. Even then it's impossible to know what speed / heading etc. the other aircraft is doing.

Isn't there a type of datalink system called FANS or something similar. All aircraft broadcast their type, position and speed and this is collected by the aircraft and displayed to the air crews. It's like a radar system in a way. Works on the ground too for navigation around airports in zero visibility.

Read about the system years ago but don't know if it ever got rolled out.

Isn't there a type of datalink system called FANS or something similar. All aircraft broadcast their type, position and speed and this is collected by the aircraft and displayed to the air crews. It's like a radar system in a way. Works on the ground too for navigation around airports in zero visibility.

Read about the system years ago but don't know if it ever got rolled out.
    You've got about 5 different systems muddled up with each other there. FANS is an area navigation system. In short, no one system does all that, but some can do some them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

However, a lack of it does make the story inaccurate. Like the constant reference to timings in local time. Local time is meaningless in aviation, everything should be properly referenced to Zulu time.
    Also, all the talk about ACARS. That's an "umbrella" term for many systems that function through it. Things like DCL, PDC, ADS, CPDLC, SITA, company datalink etc. Taking about "ACARS" being off or on in general is just not specific enough to enable a true and accurate story.

The Malaysian press conferences keep using local time which is very confusing.

I think though it's a bit unfair to be over critical of journalists. They're generalists by nature and have to cover a huge range of stories and thankfully air disasters aren't one of their regular topics.

Many (most) media outlets with the possible exceptions of CNN and BBC wouldn't have anyone dedicated to aviation issues.

They'll use whatever terminology tells the story. They're not industry media.

All they can do is bring in expert commentators.

The press information being provided is also pretty weak. The NTSB or its Euro counterparts would typically brief on the technical information too. That's not really happening here. The communications have until very recently been handled pretty poorly probably due to lack of expertise in crisis communication.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »

All they can do is bring in expert commentators. .

Quite frankly, the vast majority of their "experts" would struggle to know one end of a plane from the other. Every time I see that David Learmonth fella wheeled out on Sky News I want to punch the screen.

The only one who has talked any sense is an ex BA guy called John Lindsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Some peoples pedantic is others being accurate. There's a very good reason when an accident report is published that it takes years to produce and hugely detailed and runs to hundreds of pages. There's a very good reason that they digress in these reports to specify and accurately detail everything, it's so everything is accurate.

While some want the instant hit and the instant answer aviation incidents are not for the impatient. It's taken many years and unfortunately many incidents for correct terminology to be developed.

Remember you are in the aviation forum and much like any other forum specific to anything people do use correct terminology and do get "pedantic" when they see terms used in accurately and confusingly.

Many people seem to be expecting a Hollywood ending or a indeed expecting this to play out like 24 or Lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

urajoke wrote: »
    Some peoples pedantic is others being accurate. There's a very good reason when an accident report is published that it takes years to produce and hugely detailed and runs to hundreds of pages. There's a very good reason that they digress in these reports to specify and accurately detail everything, it's so everything is accurate.

While some want the instant hit and the instant answer aviation incidents are not for the impatient. It's taken many years and unfortunately many incidents for correct terminology to be developed.

Remember you are in the aviation forum and much like any other forum specific to anything people do use correct terminology and do get "pedantic" when they see terms used in accurately and confusingly.

Many people seem to be expecting a Hollywood ending or a indeed expecting this to play out like 24 or Lost.

No, people are being pedantic & trying to bully non "experts" out of the forum. For the experts amongst you, why does the NTSB use the term "co-pilot" in their accident reports if it's only the stupid average person who uses the phrase...

https://www.google.ie/search?q=site:https://www.ntsb.gov+co+pilot+filetype:pdf&num=30&rlz=1C1CHNV_enIE405IE405&espv=2&es_sm=122&ei=vhYnU66RPIWthQfw9YCgAQ&start=30&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=643

As things stand, my brain gets a little fried, when they refer to a 'local time', as I have to convert to GMT lol. If they started referring to Zulu time, this would immediately have to be followed by an explanation of what Zulu time is, what 'local time' it corresponded to, and what GMT time it was (assuming they were broadcasting to a GMT audience!), so as to try to not confuse everyone not familiar with the terminology. This would take too much time every time a time was referenced during reporting, and people (the stupid ones ;)) would get lost and tune out (literally and figuratively!).

Until your post eatmyshorts, I would have assumed Zulu Time referred to the time in the Zulu Timezone. And I'd probably venture to wonder what the Zululians had to do with anything? When did they become involved? :eek: :D

While I'm far from stupid, the extent of my ignorance of certain areas (in this case, aviation & geography) knows no bounds.

Now, if you were addressing a group of pilots, then yes, you could expect the speaker to use the specific terms.

No, people are being pedantic & trying to bully non "experts" out of the forum. For the experts amongst you, why does the NTSB use the term "co-pilot" in their accident reports if it's only the stupid average person who uses the phrase...

I'd say a lot of the non experts are trying to bully the experts out, actually..They want to turn a serious topic into a playground and then use the "oh no don't bully poor little me" card when people correct them on anything. I'm merely a bystander not either an expert nor non expert btw.

fr336 wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of the non experts are trying to bully the experts out, actually..They want to turn a serious topic into a playground and then use the "oh no don't bully poor little me" card when people correct them on anything. I'm merely a bystander not either an expert nor non expert btw.

Not me anyway. If I didn't appreciate the expert input, I'd be over in the AH thread. I do appreciate all the information provided by people so far, and the clarifications/explanations/answers given. There is a polite way to provide information and a condescending way though!

What kind of people are so petty about themselves..on the internet..when discussing an incident which has probably cost hundreds of lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

THEY HAVE FOUND IT !!!!!!

Everyday I log on here and expect to see those words, but everyday I see circles of the same info , nothing new.
    It feels like someone knows exactly where it is but are not saying.

Everyday I log on here and expect to see those words, but everyday I see circles of the same info , nothing new.

SIGH.

I like your username though so oh well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I want my skipped beat back ya bastard!!

Advertisement