Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

This plane scenario is a total mystery and one set to ignite the most bizarre conspiracy theories (only thing is one of them could be right!). Personally, there is some kind of cover up here as a plane like this just does not disappear. So, it has either crashed and the cause of the crash is negligence or an accidental shooting down of it (and this is being covered up) or else it has been hijacked (seemingly by either the pilot or copilot) and negotiations are ongoing (safe passage to another country may well be given and all onboard are stuck in some remote airport somewhere).

I stopped reading when I read the words in bold. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

tharmor wrote: »
    Most of the passengers would be sleeping....I think pilots passed out for whatever reason (cabin pressure, problem in aircraft,etc.) Trying to fix or change path they forgot to contact ground then they passed out n plane drifted on auto pilot for the said 5 hours somewhere....

ah com'ere there's no place for reasonable explanations like that in this forum....lets get back to crazy theories and picking fights with pilots please...:rolleyes:

ah com'ere there's no place for reasonable explanations like that in this forum....lets get back to crazy theories and picking fights with pilots please...:rolleyes:

Well, from what I understand, the plane went on a sort of rollercoaster ride after turning left? Not something I'd expect a cruising aircraft to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

sopretty wrote: »
    Well, from what I understand, the plane went on a sort of rollercoaster ride after turning left? Not something I'd expect a cruising aircraft to do?

Well, from what i understand, a few minutes ago you thought the plane had enough fuel to fly on for the month of March!

i just feel sorry for the poor passengers, whatever happened it is just horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Russians have sorted this.

Covert ops to keep the Ukraine off the front page.

Vlad is mad.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. But Vlad is a bit nuts anyway.

• Advertisement

Well, from what i understand, a few minutes ago you thought the plane had enough fuel to fly on for the month of March!

12.5 hours until the end of march? Are you in the Zulu timezone?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Timeline (UTC):

1:07 last ACARS transmission
    1:19 Co-pilot: "Alright, good night."
    1:22 Transponder turned off
    1:37 ACARS transmission should have occurred, but didn't.

Is there still a possibility of electrical failure?? The ACARS system could have failed at 1:22 alongside the transponder due to a major electrical failure. The pilots had to fly manually and got lost, going up and down altitudes to see if they could spot any landmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

People who had experience of this specific route maybe? Otherwise, no.
    Perhaps some believable excuse was given to the cabin crew.

To disappear from radar what altitude would the plane have had to be flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Programme on Sky One now ( probably a rehash of stuff we have already seen ).

Might be beneficial to those looking for a catch-up.

• Advertisement

To disappear from radar what altitude would the plane have had to be flying?

Bejaysus - don't ask me! I haven't a clue!

I think the question has been answered though earlier in the thread. It would be a good few pages back though. Maybe do a search for 'altitude' in this thread and you might find the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I find this interesting as well and understand that the only thing going against it as a theory, is the fact that the following plane would also not be able to pinpoint where the other plane was because it's transponder would be off.
    The original theorist seemed to be accurate with his timings though.

Trying to find out exactly what separation would be needed to be seen as the same plane.

Could it be done by flying very close and above or below and having the other aircraft in sight...I don't know how difficult that would be.

What is also interesting is that if it could be done then it could explain how this aircraft was going to be used again.

Very difficult to acheieve, the person would need to know the location of every radar head and hide directly in line between the aircraft and radar head and move forward or rearwards as that line moved. They would also need to know when they were being hit by primary radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Patrickheg wrote: »

:confused: Heard all that on a BBC News report, they interviewed the father too, why is it a 'new low'? (I'm no fan of the Sindo btw)

Those big technologically savvy countries, with all the surveillance techniques, and state of the art this and that, must be feeling a bit useless now.

Unless we are not being told what they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This thread is a head wrecker.

A B772 is missing. All available information is being used to find it.

When it is found, conclusions can be drawn from CVR, FDR and B772 itself.

In the meantime, speculation is rife.

Especially here.

Timeline (UTC):

1:07 last ACARS transmission
    1:19 Co-pilot: "Alright, good night."
    1:22 Transponder turned off
    1:37 ACARS transmission should have occurred, but didn't.

Is there still a possibility of electrical failure?? The ACARS system could have failed at 1:22 alongside the transponder due to a major electrical failure. The pilots had to fly manually and got lost, going up and down altitudes to see if they could spot any landmarks.

I'll answer my own question, the plane was tracked deliberately flying between known waypoints. Therefore, no electrical fault occurred.

Those big technologically savvy countries, with all the surveillance techniques, and state of the art this and that, must be feeling a bit useless now.

Someones not telling everything. I bet there was at least a US aircraft carrier in the Indian Ocean at the time, probably 20 other naval ships tracking radar in the proximity.

I'll answer my own question, the plane was tracked deliberately flying between known waypoints. Therefore, no electrical fault occurred.

At what times was it tracked flying between known waypoints?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

crosstownk wrote: »
    In the meantime, speculation is rife.

Especially here.

That's to be expected given the lack of information. Personally I reckon it landed safely in North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Swanner wrote: »
    That's to be expected given the lack of information. Personally I reckon it landed safely in North Korea.

I think people massively overestimate the capabilities of that hermit state.

They can't even fire a rocket without screwing it up so I doubt they'd be able to pull off a stunt such as this.

• Advertisement

At what times was it tracked flying between known waypoints?

It turned west off it's intended course and flew through various waypoints towards the last tracked waypoint "Igrex". Note, its much easier to just plug waypoints into the plane's computer than to actually fly the plane.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=12.731799666045882,90.25195312869975&chart=304&zoom=9&plan=G.2.7791829819825455,101.7846679587874:F.WS.IGARI:F.WM.GIVAL:F.WM.MAPSO:F.WM.MINAT:F.VO.IGREX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This may seem glaringly obvious but regarding the 2 possible air corridors the plane may be in: presuming it crashed in the Indian, then with the currents and wind etc any wreckage and debris could be being blown further into the Ocean, hence the maximum grid line of the search area could be getting bigger by the hour. If the plane hit the ocean last Saturday morning, it has had 9 days to be pushed further and further into the ocean, hence widening the possible search area, have these factors been take into account when calculating the Southern Air corridor?

Granted it could turn up months from now, but as far as the immediate search goes, this doesnt help matters.

So, why then are they saying that the last known position was at 01.27? If they have tracked positions after that time? Honestly, if I'm missing something really obvious, please let me know! As far as we have been told, the last 'known' position was at 01.27, just as it turned left to head west? Have I gotten that wrong?

So, why then are they saying that the last known position was at 01.27? If they have tracked positions after that time? Honestly, if I'm missing something really obvious, please let me know! As far as we have been told, the last 'known' position was at 01.27, just as it turned left to head west? Have I gotten that wrong?

The link I posted was the movement tracked on the Malaysian's Primary Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

01:27 was the last time the aircraft was under complete radar and voice surveillance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If be fairly confident that one or two militaries/intelligence agencies/governments have a good idea where exactly the aircraft is. It's not really in their interests to disclose that though.

Major fail regarding global surveillance here. If indeed there was a fail. Do we know?

That is a big issue now.

Nefarious groups will know that evading radar etc. is sooo easy.

That is very unsettling.

Major fail regarding global surveillance here. If indeed there was a fail. Do we know?

That is a big issue now.

Nefarious groups will know that evading radar etc. is sooo easy.

That is very unsettling.

Which is why I think speculative security measures should be taken immediately, rather than waiting years for a comprehensive report to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Which is why I think speculative security measures should be taken immediately, rather than waiting years for a comprehensive report to come out.

Speculative security measures to do what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

If be fairly confident that one or two militaries/intelligence agencies/governments have a good idea where exactly the aircraft is. It's not really in their interests to disclose that though.

With all due respect....
    I don't believe that for one second!

Advertisement