Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If be fairly confident that one or two militaries/intelligence agencies/governments have a good idea where exactly the aircraft is. It's not really in their interests to disclose that though.

Would this imply that

a) it's at the bottom of the ocean, after be struck by a missile.

b) it's in a garage someone and for security reasons no one wants it public knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

would it be possible for this plane to "disappear" if the aireon system was in use over this part of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

https://plus.google.com/106271056358366282907/posts/GoeVjHJaGBz

Not sure if this has been posted yet, plausible theory from another pilot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Michio Kaku's stance is that it may have entered a wormhole into Dimension X and will return with the passengers intact in 2049.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Zzippy wrote: »

very interesting article,
    from a pilot with many yrs experience,
    can understand the left turn to nearest airport, and fire taking over before he could get it down,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

goat2 wrote: »
    can understand the left turn to nearest airport, and fire taking over before he could get it down,

Indeed, however the comments suggest the article is a few days old and the most recent information released yesterday makes a few parts of the article very difficult to explain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

goat2 wrote: »

Doesn't explain the plane still flying 5 hours later.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Timeline (UTC):

1:07 last ACARS transmission
    1:19 Co-pilot: "Alright, good night."
    1:22 Transponder turned off
    1:37 ACARS transmission should have occurred, but didn't.

Is there still a possibility of electrical failure?? The ACARS system could have failed at 1:22 alongside the transponder due to a major electrical failure. The pilots had to fly manually and got lost, going up and down altitudes to see if they could spot any landmarks.
    I'd think a pilot with that much experience would know how to use a compass!

And I doubt they'd attempt to navigate by "landmarks" in the dark over the ocean mightn't be the easiest thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Michio Kaku's stance is that it may have entered a wormhole into Dimension X and will return with the passengers intact in 2049.

/thread

You received a ban or off topic posting before. You have not learnt to stay on topic so here is a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

KoolKid wrote: »
    Doesn't explain the plane still flying 5 hours later.:confused:

Plus, I was completely taken in by this theory, until I checked Google Earth. There is a much closer airport with a very long strip in Narathiwat. Check it out. No need to cross over land either.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=+Pulau+Langkawi&hl=en&ll=6.514288,101.757174&spn=0.024943,0.042272&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=7.670309,21.643066&t=h&hnear=Langkawi&z=15

Also a strip in Songkhla, although looks shorter and would have to fly over habitations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

If be fairly confident that one or two militaries/intelligence agencies/governments have a good idea where exactly the aircraft is. It's not really in their interests to disclose that though.

what interests do you speak of, what would motivate an agency tokeep intel like that secret. why would any countries intelligence agency keep intel that could locate a missing passenger airliner that no one quite knows what happened it from the public or at the very least the investigating agencies. i think people do be too quick to try and put a conspiracy spin on things and its all cloak and dagger stuff.

bottom line is comms were turned off and plane kept flying for what reason we still dont know. where it is is any ones guess and from all involved i think they all want to find the darn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Without a map, or a notion of where Langkawi is, this article is hard to follow for me. :(
    I'll let the experts comment and keep my nose out for a while!

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    what interests do you speak of, what would motivate an agency tokeep intel like that secret. why would any countries intelligence agency keep intel that could locate a missing passenger airliner that no one quite knows what happened it from the public or at the very least the investigating agencies. i think people do be too quick to try and put a conspiracy spin on things and its all cloak and dagger stuff.

bottom line is comms were turned off and plane kept flying for what reason we still dont know. where it is is any ones guess and from all involved i think they all want to find the darn thing.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I'm Kazakhstan. I don't want anyone to attack me. So I let on that I have a certain amount of 'muscle'/military expertise/aviation detection technology and then some. I talk a brave fight. I don't want anyone to know, that in reality, I am in no position to defend myself, if you decide to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

We're no closer to finding this aircraft, are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

would there be any logic that the plane was hijacked, demands were made, and that it was then just shot down, but no government wants to take responsibility for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ace2007 wrote: »
    would there be any logic that the plane was hijacked, demands were made, and that it was then just shot down, but no government wants to take responsibility for it?

That's a bit out there, maybe for now Occam's razor is the best methodology to go by...

In my opinion, genuinely, this is not beyond the realms of possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

A fairly unlikely theory here, but still an interesting read:

http://mashable.com/2014/03/17/malaysia-airlines-escape-radar/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

sopretty wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking, let's say I'm Kazakhstan. I don't want anyone to attack me. So I let on that I have a certain amount of 'muscle'/military expertise/aviation detection technology and then some. I talk a brave fight. I don't want anyone to know, that in reality, I am in no position to defend myself, if you decide to attack.
    If they wanted to overplay their military capabilities (as you're suggesting), why would they not reveal the location of the aircraft?

The only potential theory (and it's pretty weak) is that the Americans or Chinese do know where the plane is or at least have some information which may help but are underplaying their surveillance capabilities to either downplay and not "show all their cards" to potential opponents OR to not reveal their level of surveillance in foreign territories for diplomatic reasons.

Realistically, if the US or China had information that they wished to share without revealing their source, i'm pretty sure they'd be capable of it. All it takes is tipping off one of the search parties or instructing one of their own search parties to find it. They don't have to say "We've every inch of your land and sea territory monitored 24/7, the plane's at the following coordinates"

I'm nearly sure the people involved have more information than what they've released to the media but I think the world's governments and militaries are just as uncertain about this as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I said four days ago you will find it along that route - looking elsewhere was pointless.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Langkawi/@6.3634351,99.929776,9z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x304c78da69c4755d:0xe43971dbd7bd6dfe?hl=en

ok so where does he think it is

• Advertisement

If they wanted to overplay their military capabilities (as you're suggesting), why would they not reveal the location of the aircraft?

I suggest that they may have overplayed their capabilities up to now, and now, when being called to account, can't back up their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i fail to see your point. what is the purpose of not disclosing info if you have it. put all this whos attacking who aside for a second. its a civilian airliner not a bomber or spy plane and those aboard are innocent civilians so why not tell someone if the plane is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

i fail to see your point. what is the purpose of not disclosing info if you have it. put all this whos attacking who aside for a second. its a civilian airliner not a bomber or spy plane and those aboard are innocent civilians so why not tell someone if the plane is located.

I think there's come confusion here. I think sopretty is saying that some countries play up their air defence capabilities to deter attack, but really, when it comes down to it, they don't even have the capability to detect an airliner with the transponder turned off. They don't want to advertise this fact, as it would reveal that they don't have an air defence system worth the name.

My point is this:

If for e.g., it comes out at a later stage, that the plane, without any doubt, flew over Kazakhstan FOR E.G., and Kazakhstan never noticed, well then, Putin perhaps (as an e.g.) might say to himself - 'I quite fancy invading Kazakhstan. Their military radar is sh*** apparently, they didn't even NOTICE an aircraft flying over their country.' 'Let's go boys!'.

I think there's come confusion here. I think sopretty is saying that some countries play up their air defence capabilities to deter attack, but really, when it comes down to it, they don't even have the capability to detect an airliner with the transponder turned off. They don't want to advertise this fact, as it would reveal that they don't have an air defence system worth the name.

Thank you Zzippy! I find it hard to explain myself at times! You have done so quite eloquently. Would have saved my brain the stress of coming up with an example!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My point is this:

If for e.g., it comes out at a later stage, that the plane, without any doubt, flew over Kazakhstan FOR E.G., and Kazakhstan never noticed, well then, Putin perhaps (as an e.g.) might say to himself - 'I quite fancy invading Kazakhstan. Their military radar is sh*** apparently, they didn't even NOTICE an aircraft flying over their country.' 'Let's go boys!'.

Also if a country did pick it up and lose it again they would expose gaps in their coverage by revealing where they could and couldn't track it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

adamski8 wrote: »
    Anyone what the two that were lost just south of ireland were?

Pretty sure one is Air India 182, was bombed in 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'd be more inclined to think that countries like Myanmar and Nepal do not have very good radar coverage, so the plane could easily have crossed, and they are reluctant to admit to that, therefore are not communicating.

I wonder how well (radar) covered is that Indian land Assam/Meghalaya, or how about Bhutan ?

If a country's radar coverage is not up to scratch (and hijackers knew about it), they are hardly going to publicize that to the world.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=26.037042,92.878418&spn=11.533613,21.643066&t=h&z=6

1. Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What would happen in Say Irish airspace if they saw a plane that they didn't recognise?

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What would happen in Say Irish airspace if they saw a plane that they didn't recognise?

Id say the Brits would be all over it.

Advertisement