Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know this is annoying for people for whom these things are obvious, but would it be possible for someone on the flight deck to disable the oxygen supply to the main cabin, while leaving their own supply active, thus doing away with the possibility of pesky passenger texts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

This will turn out to be the biggest mystery in Aviation history, I reckon it won't be found for decades - somewhere at the bottom of the Indian Ocean with scanning techmology that we don't currently have.

Then the mystery will be revealed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think it's pretty clear now that the plane was either hijacked by a passenger who know what they were doing. Or it was hijacked by the pilot himself.

I don't believe the plane went down. It probably landed somewhere.

The passengers probably are all dead

This doesn't make any sense. Are you implying that they were all murdered once the plane landed? If the plane landed safely how are the passengers dead?

There's a theory going around that the pilot was suicidal and he was aiming for the deepest part of the Indian Ocean so the plane is never found. Apparently he was a very proud pilot and one of the finest that Malaysian airlines had to offer, so perhaps his intention is for the plane to remain lost for the sake of his legacy. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to crash the plane into the ocean without it disintegrating on impact. If the plane can break the surface at a high speed and remain intact then I think it's pretty much game over. However, I can't see this happening, the plane would have to break apart somehow and the debris would be found eventually. I think after 10 days we can safely assume it DID land in water unless there is a rather large cover-up going on.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I know this is annoying for people for whom these things are obvious, but would it be possible for someone on the flight deck to disable the oxygen supply to the main cabin, while leaving their own supply active, thus doing away with the possibility of pesky passenger texts?

Extremely unlikely if not impossible. Installing a feature like that on a plane would be madness. I suppose the pilot could lock the cockpit, depressurize and deploy the passengers oxygen which would have them dead fairly swiftly...the pilot would last a bit longer but it doesn't really add up as it would have to have been timed perfectly to land the plane in untrackable waters with what little time he had left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Is the info:
    Pilots say whoever was then in control may have kept the radio on in silent mode to hear what was going on around him, but would have avoided restarting the transponder at all costs.

in this article true?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/planning-could-hold-key-to-disappearance-of-malaysia-flight-1.1729254?page=3

Total speculation.

What I meant was is it possible to do, keep a radio on silent and the transponder off?
    If it is would that allow you to follow a plane...as in the shadow plane theory. Just wondering, not saying that is what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭jasonb

Radio and transponder are two completely different pieces of equipment. So it's very easy to turn off the transponder, but leave the radio on and just listen to it without talking to ATC anywhere...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What I meant was is it possible to do, keep a radio on silent and the transponder off?
    If it is would that allow you to follow a plane...as in the shadow plane theory. Just wondering, not saying that is what happened.

Do you know what has entered my head. Remember way back in the early days of the thread where a Shaman had apparently seen an image of a dark shadow of an eagle over the aircraft (he was the fella who surmised that the elves dunnit)?

Unbelievably, the shadow plane theory could fit with his vision!! :eek:

Now, all we have to do is to find a nation that resembles elves and we will find the culprits. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I think she's sitting on a Vietnamese airfield somewhere and the Chinese are negotiating with them.

If she'd hit water, we'd know about it. In fact, if she'd hit anywhere, we'd know about it.

I really do believe that they know where she is but they're not letting on.

For the lives of the passengers, I pray that I am right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLiAAVeYhk

Have a look at this to see how hard it is to closely follow another large aircraft

This doesn't make any sense. Are you implying that they were all murdered once the plane landed? If the plane landed safely how are the passengers dead?

There's a theory going around that the pilot was suicidal and he was aiming for the deepest part of the Indian Ocean so the plane is never found. Apparently he was a very proud pilot and one of the finest that Malaysian airlines had to offer, so perhaps his intention is for the plane to remain lost for the sake of his legacy. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to crash the plane into the ocean without it disintegrating on impact. If the plane can break the surface at a high speed and remain intact then I think it's pretty much game over. However, I can't see this happening, the plane would have to break apart somehow and the debris would be found eventually. I think after 10 days we can safely assume it DID land in water unless there is a rather large cover-up going on.
    No If the passengers are dead in this situation. there is evidence the plane was intentionaly flown too high above what they call the death zone. even a few minutes at this altitude would kill the passengers without oxygen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

No If the passengers are dead in this situation. there is evidence the plane was intentionaly flown too high above what they call the death zone. even a few minutes at this altitude would kill the passengers without oxygen

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,167 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Would this not trigger the masks?

Growler!!! wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLiAAVeYhk

Have a look at this to see how hard it is to closely follow another large aircraft

Would it have to be that close though? And it wasn't trying to refuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Did anyone see the discussions with the two captains that was on Sky a few minutes ago?

Their opinions made sense to me.

I.e. The plane was being flown at a safe altitude, which meant there probably was no intention to die involved. They surmised that the plane flew south west and possibly landed on a small island or something. One guy mentioned that he'd be interested to know what cargo was aboard and whether it was valuable. They seemed to think that from what data we have, it looks like the plane was flying intelligently with a destination in mind.

They did of course emphasize that this was pure speculation on their parts.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Would it have to be that close though? And it wasn't trying to refuel.

The closer the better. It was done in Miami vice:D and I know it wasn't trying to refuel but do you have a better video of 2 large jets in close formation with each other? Apologies if it doesn't fit in with one of the conspiracy theories.

Seriously though nobody knows how close or how far it would have to be to merge with another airborne target. The 777 is a large wide bodied commercial airliner not a low radar signature manoeuvrable fight jet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

spurious wrote: »

Even if it was possible, the oxygen from the flight deck would only seep out into the cabin and they would all suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I know one thing about aviation enthusiasts!

There is no where in the world, no remote strip in the wildest back of beyonds where there is not a spotter with a scanner, ladder and camera to see something landing or taking off.

And then posting it online:D

The closer the better. It was done in Miami vice:D and I know it wasn't trying to refuel but do you have a better video of 2 large jets in close formation with each other? Apologies if it doesn't fit in with one of the conspiracy theories.

Seriously though nobody knows how close or how far it would have to be to merge with another airborne target. The 777 is a large wide bodied commercial airliner not a low radar signature manoeuvrable fight jet.

Yes, I'd imagine you'd need nerves of steel to shadow a plane for any significant length of time. For a few minutes maybe, but not for much longer. One wrong move..... :eek:

ETA - MH370 had its transponder turned off, so there's no way a plane could shadow it when you think about it. Well, not safely anyway! And presumably they couldn't keep in contact to co-ordinate via radio, as other sources could overhear?

Yes, the more I think of it, this couldn't be possible in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

MugMugs wrote: »
    I think she's sitting on a Vietnamese airfield somewhere and the Chinese are negotiating with them.

If she'd hit water, we'd know about it. In fact, if she'd hit anywhere, we'd know about it.

I really do believe that they know where she is but they're not letting on.

For the lives of the passengers, I pray that I am right.

Why would it be a secret if it was a negotiation? Even so you couldn't keep it a secret for long if it was on the ground.

Nothing perfectly fits any single theory, so every single theory is a dubious/conspiracy theory for the moment. I wish people would get over that fact and quit harping on. These are 'discussion' forums after all.

The only thing that would have seen 'two' aircraft is primary radar iiac as the transponder was off on the Malaysian one.
    The question is, how closely would primary radar be observed late at night and if an aircraft flying on a recognised route at a normal height would have attracted anything more than a precursory look.

Just questions out of interest, not claiming anything.

It's pretty clear now that the plane did not crash. whoever had control over it knew what they were doing and had more than enough fuel to land it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

flazio wrote: »
    Would this not trigger the masks?

Most likely, but there's a limited supply of oxygen. Can't remember the exact figure quoted earlier in this thread, but I think it was something like a 15 minute supply to cabin. Cockpit supply is up to 2 hours. Whoever took control of the plane would not really be concerned that there were all those people still conscious in the cabin as they could not attempt to enter the cockpit without removing the masks, and if they removed the masks they would become disoriented within seconds and be unconscious shortly after.

It's pretty clear now that the plane did not crash. whoever had control over it knew what they were doing and had more than enough fuel to land it somewhere.

Hardly 'pretty clear'. Nothing is clear about this yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

How did you work that out?

As mentioned earlier by someone else, the only clear thing is that nothing is clear whatsover.

Advertisement