Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Doublelime wrote: »
    ..I think the pilots may have crashed into a side of a mountain. Another theory is that the plane has been landed but I doubt it. We know it didn't crash into the sea because one of the seats (they float) would have been spotted by now.

Presumably satellites would have been far more focused over land at the time, so you would think they would have picked up a large airliner such as this impacting a mountain, or any debris from such an incident by this stage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sopretty wrote: »
    That's a new and interesting theory alright.
    Its not new. Pilot incapacitation amidst a midflight emergency was among the original theories. Explains the lack of info and the inability to find the aircraft on the flight path from the last known track. However as pointed out in the BBC artilce the know from data received that the turn to the West was inputted by the flight computer rather than a manual turn as would be usual in such a fire scenario.

I agree that the pilot takeover is still plausible. However if either pilot wanted to commit suicide then straight down into the South China Sea would be easier.

If it was a hijacking then why is there no info or claims of responsibility? 7 days of hiding and keeping those 239 souls in order to use as barter? BBC seem to think it may be used later...but this seems like a difficult method to use to get your hands on a possible terror weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

unless the hijacking was for political reasons... in that case passengers would be more valuable than an aircraft. But I can't help thinking that an aircraft with tourists and babies on board is not the most practical target for that purpose, a more "business" oriented flight full of professionals would be easier to handle once on the ground.

Head wrecked with this. I do like the read the theories no matter how mad, we can only keep an open mind.
    Hope they find it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Tenger wrote: »
    If it was a hijacking then why is there no info or claims of responsibility? 7 days of hiding and keeping those 239 souls in order to use as barter? BBC seem to think it may be used later...but this seems like a difficult method to use to get your hands on a possible terror weapon.
    Ongoing negotiations? Maybe there is a deadline given that hasn't been reached yet.

It does seem like a lot of people to keep hostage, but if it's true that the rest of the transponder cutoff etc was pre-planned then it seems a little more feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭GBX

"Plane seeing flying low over Maldives" http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/missing-malaysian-flight-mh370-maldives-islanders-saw-low-flying-plane-30102740.html
    This link just was posted in the other thread (notifications) but doesnt add up to whats being said about direction of travel?

North to South West?
    That would mean if it did fly low towards the Maldives it would be heading back towards Western Malaysia/Australia.

Another thing .. would very low altitude flying be sustainable for a length of time??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Peanut wrote: »
    Ongoing negotiations? Maybe there is a deadline given that hasn't been reached yet.

It does seem like a lot of people to keep hostage, but if it's true that the rest of the transponder cutoff etc was pre-planned then it seems a little more feasible.

How many people would need to be involved to hold that many hostage?
    A small number could be over hauled. While a large number involved you'd have to assume it would get out somewhere, someone would say something, a wife an uncle someone.

Stupid question time - would there be many mountain areas around there for it to have crashed into on it's suspected flight path.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

GBX wrote: »
    "Plane seeing flying low over Maldives" http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/missing-malaysian-flight-mh370-maldives-islanders-saw-low-flying-plane-30102740.html
    This link just was posted in the other thread (notifications) but doesnt add up to whats being said about direction of travel?

North to South West?
    That would mean if it did fly low towards the Maldives it would be heading back towards Western Malaysia/Australia.

Another thing .. would very low altitude flying be sustainable for a length of time??

The link a few posts up show a pic of a "plane", - but link is the Mail which basically means it is probably photoshoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

GBX wrote: »

North to South West?

A quick look on google gives a distance of nearly 2000 miles from Kuala Lumpur to the Maldives.

From KL to Beijing (it's intended destination) is 2700 miles.

Considering a jet is at its least efficient fuel wise at low level then I can't see how it could have travelled that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Depends. If one of the fire triangle was removed ie. oxygen it may have quenched itself. But only after using up enough of the available oxygen not to support life at those altitudes!

With no input to the autopilot it may continue on until fuel runs out

In such a scenario, presumably combustion wouldn't be supported and hence no engines

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A quick look on google gives a distance of nearly 2000 miles from Kuala Lumpur to the Maldives.

Considering a jet is at its least efficient fuel wise at low level then I can't see how it could have travelled that far.

Yeah to me it doesnt make sense .. especially the direction of travel being quoted.. but if it had been travelling south west to a northerly routh it could be headed onwards to the middle east/north africa.
    But Id imagine in travelling so close to Southern India - their radars may have picked up an unidentified aircraft ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

REPOST

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That has been posted about 10 times in last three days now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

What I think happened flight MH370.

I think Flight MH370 is in the hands of Al Qaeda with all passengers safe and well until they're flown to they're deaths in whatever target they're going for. Hostages will buy time if intercepted en route. Ultimately they will add to the overall body count. Hence also the phones ringing. A commentator on CNN last night mentioned that a couple of months ago intelligence agencies had heard unconfirmed whispers of a newly recruited airline pilot recruited by extremists. On the third day of the flight missing the Wall St Journal quoted a source from the FBI saying they were extremely concerned about the missing flight. This was when we all expected it to be found broken up in the Gulf of Thailand somewhere

I don't think its a western target because of the lack of westerns on board that flight. I also highly doubt the captain was involved with a lifetime of flying behind him. Also the fact that it was the Co pilot that spoke last to ATC.

China announced today that they have 30 satellites looking for the aircraft. They are deeply concerned. They are many Chinese on board. I'd suspect its going to be an attack on china in sympathy for the persecution of Muslims in the North West of China.

I had thougt that they might have been going for a US air force base in the Indian ocean but there wouldn't be enough media coverage of it to have proper effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dees99 wrote: »
    Flight MH370 is in the hands of Al Qaeda with all passengers safe and well until they're flown to they're deaths in whatever target they're going for. Hostages will buy time if intercepted en route. Ultimately they will add to the overall body count. Hence also the phones ringing.

I don't think its a western target because of the lack of westerns on board that flight. I also highly doubt the captain was involved with a lifetime of flying behind him. Also the fact that it was the Co pilot that spoke last to ATC.

China announced today that they have 30 satellites looking for the aircraft. They are many Chinese on board. I'd suspect its going to be an attack on china in sympathy for the persecution of Muslims in the North West of China.

I had though that they might have been going for a US air force base in the Indian ocean but there wouldn't be enough media coverage to shock the world.

And your evidence for all that is where exactly?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    In such a scenario, presumably combustion wouldn't be supported and hence no engines

No that's incorrect. Look at the Helios incident. Cabin didn't pressurise and all onboard passed out due lack of oxygen. Engines ran on until they ran out of fuel!

Flight MH370 is in the hands of Al Qaeda with all passengers safe and well until they're flown to they're deaths in whatever target they're going for. Hostages will buy time if intercepted en route. Ultimately they will add to the overall body count. Hence also the phones ringing.

China announced today that they have 30 satellites looking for the aircraft. They are many Chinese on board. I'd suspect its going to be an attack on china in sympathy for the persecution of Muslims in the North West of China.

I had though that they might have been going for a US air force base in the Indian ocean but there wouldn't be enough media coverage to shock the world.

Sorry lad, you must be in the wrong thread. After Hours is elsewhere:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

No that's incorrect. Look at the Helios incident. Cabin didn't pressurise and all onboard passed out due lack of oxygen. Engines ran on until they ran out of fuel!

Except for flight attendant with military diving experience or something who presumably had the most terrifying final 2 hours imaginable. That is the only aviation disaster in history that has really freaked me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

It may have been descending at the time. They are the only eye witness reports I've read and they need to be taken seriously and investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

errlloyd wrote: »
    Except for flight attendant with military diving experience or something who presumably had the most terrifying final 2 hours imaginable. That is the only aviation disaster in history that has really freaked me out.

He was on the medical supplementary O2. Even with his experience it still didn't affect the outcome. My reply was to Liamosail and I used the Helios example rather than having to explain that jet engines are designed to operate at high altitude where the air is thinner.

kstand wrote: »
    It may have been descending at the time. They are the only eye witness reports I've read and they need to be taken seriously and investigated.

I said I can't see it being possible. The authorities hopefully are more diligent then me:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I don't know much about the airline industry, or the above example,just speculating here.

An atmosphere that can't support life, can't support combustion. A fall in oxygen below that required to support life (say 10% by vol) won't support combustion. Is there an intake on planes, or do they use an alternative source of air?

Apologies for veering off topic slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't know much about the airline industry, or the above example,just speculating here.

An atmosphere that can't support life, can't support combustion. A fall in oxygen below that required to support life (say 10% by vol) won't support combustion. Is there an intake on planes, or do they use an alternative source of air?

But the engines continually operate outside of the airframe working most efficiently at 30000 ft to 40000ft in an atmosphere where a person could not survive.
    I guess the general theory of a jet engine is that air flow enters, is compressed, is ignited then expelled producing useful thrust. Perhaps the compression aspect alters the o2 levels at which ignition is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

vicwatson wrote: »

The fact that the aircraft was either taken over either by skilled hijackers or a pilot himself that the transponder and communication was turned off. This obviously means that the next stage of a plan was about to take place.

The plane is confirmed to have flown hours to the radar corridor. Obviously intentional. No trace of any sort of debris or a distress call. No emergency transponder which activates when aircraft hits water.

Phones ringing but nobody picking up suggests a landing. I think the number 2 in Al Qaida is behind it. The lack of a distress call has to suggest the pilots had lost control to hijackers. The two pilots were not restored on together that night so I donut they were involved.

For the crazy conspiracy theory, one satellite pinged the aircraft. If one more satellite had pinged it, they would have been able to pinpoint the location of the airliner. Could the hijackers have possibly had knowledge of this and thus avoided it? Too far out though I know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gfGdKs9xGM

This short video may help. The turbofan engine draws air in from its surroundings. A huge amount of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I think Flight MH370 is in the hands of Al Qaeda with all passengers safe and well until they're flown to they're deaths in whatever target they're going for. Hostages will buy time if intercepted en route. Ultimately they will add to the overall body count. Hence also the phones ringing. A commentator on CNN last night mentioned that a couple of months ago intelligence agencies had heard unconfirmed whispers of a newly recruited airline pilot recruited by extremists. On the third day of the flight missing the Wall St Journal quoted a source from the FBI saying they were extremely concerned about the missing flight. This was when we all expected it to be found broken up in the Gulf of Thailand somewhere

China announced today that they have 30 satellites looking for the aircraft. They are deeply concerned. They are many Chinese on board. I'd suspect its going to be an attack on china in sympathy for the persecution of Muslims in the North West of China.

I had thougt that they might have been going for a US air force base in the Indian ocean but there wouldn't be enough media coverage of it to have proper effect.
    That makes no sense.

Why would "Al Qaeda" (or any other generic terrorist group) take a plane full of passengers that they know will attract huge attention from the world's militaries and media to use as a flying bomb?

If all they want to do is terrorise China, there'd be hundreds of better ways that wouldn't require nearly as much planning or work as intricately flying a 777 full of pax under the radar to a remote landing strip.

The two pilots were not restored on together that night so I donut they were involved.

For the crazy conspiracy theory, one satellite pinged the aircraft. If one more satellite had pinged it, they would have been able to pinpoint the location of the airliner. Could the hijackers have possibly had knowledge of this and thus avoided it? Too far out though I know

What do you mean the pilots were not rostered?

The satellite system in question is the Inmarsat communications system below is some info from Inmarsat themselves explaining how the aircraft was " pinged". There is no way someone could avoid it or pinpoint its location.

'Handshakes' help determine location
    When an aircraft powers up, the airplane automatically sends a signal logging onto the communications network. Thereafter, the ground station sends "polling signals" to the satellite, which relays them to the aircraft. When the aircraft responds, it is known as a "handshake." The information relayed during the handshake is very limited, but it contains a unique identifying code to identify the aircraft.
    The purpose of the hourly "handshakes" is to allow the satellite to know the approximate location of the aircraft so that it can efficiently relay any messages. For this, the satellite needs to know the angle of the aircraft from the satellite.
    An aircraft directly under the satellite would be at a 90 degree angle to the satellite; an aircraft at the poles would be at 0 degrees.
    In the case of Malaysia Airlines 370, authorities have said, the last message sent was at 40 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Roguee

That seems like its just a plane flying over that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

This 'speculative theory' makes just as much sense as every other theory and is fair.
    vicwatson wrote: »

You may just as well pass this comment on to any ex pilot or specialist speaking on CNN or Sky news! no evidence is available on this particular incident!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Advertisement