Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that files can't reliably be deleted.

IF the pilot was up to something and wanted to cover his tracks, the only way he could be certain of doing so would be to physically destroy his hard drive.

While it is common knowledge, I think some people sort of underestimate it! Physically destroying his hard-drive would be a wee bit suspicious.
    Certainly, deleting stuff is normal behaviour. I do it myself all the time when I run out of space or whatever.
    I actually feel sorry for the captain's family. On top of their loss, they are having to co-operate with intrusive investigations. I know that that is life, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that files can't reliably be deleted.

IF the pilot was up to something and wanted to cover his tracks, the only way he could be certain of doing so would be to physically destroy his hard drive.

I believe its fairly common knowledge to a lot of people but I also know a lot of people who wouldn't know this, a lot of people think if they delete their internet browsing history its gone forever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I have a question if any pilots are still here.

If you forgot all of the rules, regulations and the Western way of flying planes safely.

Could you fly any aircraft without specific training?

I mean even if it is a bit bumpy and shaky could you fly (like borrowing someone else's car until you get used to it) and more importantly land a plane you have never flown before just because you have x hours flight experience.

I was going to say could you wing it but that sounds a bit cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

If you forgot all of the rules, regulations and the Western way of flying planes safely.

I mean even if it is a bit bumpy and shaky could you fly (like borrowing someone else's car until you get used to it) and more importantly land a plane you have never flown before just because you have x hours flight experience.

I think that an experienced big jet pilot, with a bit of book work, could fly another type, within reason. It's also worth noting that there's a lot of similarities across the same manufacturer. For instance, I've no doubt that a 320 rated pilot could manage a 330 or a 340 or infact a 380, with very little extra study . The philosophy is the same. Similarly with boeing, there would be a lot of cross over. So yes, possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

sully2010 wrote: »
    I believe its fairly common knowledge to a lot of people but I also know a lot of people who wouldn't know this, a lot of people think if they delete their internet browsing history its gone forever!

It depends how long your files are deleted: if it was last week they can be retrieved, but they gradually get overwritten by new files.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Possible you could fly it alright, but I doubt you'd land it safely or handle an emergency too well.

That's why I have a feeling it was being piloted by an amateur who'd hijacked it or by passenger / cabin crew who couldn't reactive the comms systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

sully2010 wrote: »
    Fair enough your entitled to your opinion. Xplane has very real flight characteristics and has been endorsed by pilots. Software is available for any strip capable of landing a 777. At the end of the day its the pilots experience of 18000 hours that would land the the plane wherever he wanted to land it and using a simulator for a few dry runs would do harm whatsover.

I'm not saying it's not a great piece if kit, but it's usefulness would be pretty limited! I doubt there's software (other than generic runway type stuff) for any runway where you could covertly land a 777. Tbh, it would be much more useful to find some plotting charts with primary radar sites and their assumed coverage plotted, with a route around that! If I was planing to make of with a 777, that's the kind of research I'd be doing. Flying the thing ain't the problem for the captain. It's the logistics of not being found out. (Not that I think that that is what happened)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sorry just coming into this thread now and I haven't time to read the thread, so sorry if it's been posted already. Thought this article sounds very plausible.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

Synode wrote: »
    Sorry just coming into this thread now and I haven't time to read the thread, so sorry if it's been posted already. Thought this article sounds very plausible.

Interesting new theory once again............ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

http://www.reddit.com/r/MH370/comments/20sasb/very_concise_debunk_of_chris_goodfellows_theory/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Here is a great piece of fictional writing. Amazing how fast these conspiracy theories come about. ( I don't believe it btw ;) )

http://greatgameindia.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/mh370-mystery-suspicious-cargo-death-of-2-ex-navy-seals-aboard-mv-maersk-alabama/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Sorry just coming into this thread now....... so sorry if it's been posted already. Thought this article sounds very plausible.
    It does indeed however the author (Mr Goodfellow) doesn't do the theory justice with some of his phrases in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Ah that's clearer than what you initially posted. Being called off standby is a risk of the job:D, having said that has this been confirmed? If it has it then shows the Captain can be the only one with the plan to take over the aircraft.

I fear you didn't read what I posted. The excerpt below comes from Inmarsat themselves.

The purpose of the hourly "handshakes" is to allow the satellite to know the approximate location of the aircraft so that it can efficiently relay any messages. For this, the satellite needs to know the angle of the aircraft from the satellite.

Therefore they can approximate the position of the aircraft at 40 degrees from the satellite, that is why there is an arc which is shown on many of the news websites.

I don't believe the other pilot had anything to do with it. We have been shown photos of him posing in the cockpit with women, strictly against the rules. This would suggest that he is pretty lax about having the cockpit door open, was probably wandering in and out himself and would have been an easy target to hijack.

Ok if what you say is true about the hourly pings, then its logical to assume that the aircraft touched down within an hour of the last ping. So why aren't they searching in that radius? I think your getting mixed up growler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

dees99 wrote: »
    I don't believe the other pilot had anything to do with it. We have been shown photos of him posing in the cockpit with women, strictly against the rules. This would suggest that he is pretty lax about having the cockpit door open, was probably wandering in and out himself and would have been an easy target to hijack.

Ok if what you say is true about the hourly pings, then its logical to assume that the aircraft touched down within an hour of the last ping. So why aren't they searching in that radius? I think your getting mixed up growler

As I mentioned in an earlier post, in Asia the captain rules the roost. The f/o would have done nothing without the captains consent. The pictures we were shown showed another captain not the one on this flight. As for wandering in and out, it's not a saloon door!

I'm not saying it's true about the pings. The satellite operator is saying it.
    7208F58785234EB8B4565F5348240CE3-0000370639-0003522757-00721L-FA7C726170F242C8B33CEE08F458DA91.jpg

The various authorities ARE searching along its circumference. Those countries to the north have said nothing was picked up on radar so the search is continuing to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

latest seems to be some completely uncorroborated info mentioned on Sky news referring to BBC, about signals coming from movng aircraft and that Australia may have picked up pings indicating it was heading due south in direction of South pole,
    /mostly maybe, it's as clear as that.

sopretty wrote: »
    They said they have been working with the FBI since day 1 - this was in response to a question from a journalist as to whether it was true that they had refused help from a team from the FBI.
    See, I told you so:)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26649690
    The FBI is aiding the Malaysian government's search for a Malaysia Airlines jet missing for more than a week, the White House has confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

wil wrote: »
    latest seems to be some completely uncorroborated info mentioned on Sky news referring to BBC, about signals coming from movng aircraft and that Australia may have picked up pings indicating it was heading due south in direction of South pole,
    /mostly maybe, it's as clear as that.

Seeing this on twitter but no link. If you put in "BBC: some rubbish"....that means its true innit

See, I told you so:)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26649690
    The FBI is aiding the Malaysian government's search for a Malaysia Airlines jet missing for more than a week, the White House has confirmed.

I wasn't disputing the fact!

What I was disputing was that there was such a thing as 'local' FBI! If there is.......... I'll be right down to my local FBI office tomorrow to find out why I was never informed that they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

If the Captain WAS up to something and the simulator had a role to play in it I don't think he'd proudly show it off on Youtube and post in different FSX forums about it and putting it together, that doesn't really make sense. He comes across as just an Aviation/Technology Nerd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

What I was disputing was that there was such a thing as 'local' FBI! If there is.......... I'll be right down to my local FBI office tomorrow to find out why I was never informed that they were there.

Do the FBI even have jurisdiction outside the 50 states? I don't think they do.

It was obviously a typo or something, don't be so petty, wasting space in this thread with pointless posts, enough of those already in it.

fits wrote: »
    Do the FBI even have jurisdiction outside the 50 states? I don't think they do.

Malaysia has already stated that they have been working with the FBI since Day 1.

fits wrote: »
    Seeing this on twitter but no link. If you put in "BBC: some rubbish"....that means its true innit
    yep, every single update should be treated as suspect until some official confirmation, and even then...

robbieVan wrote: »
    It was obviously a typo or something, don't be so petty, wasting space in this thread with pointless posts, enough of those already in it.

typos, petty, wasting space, pointless posts?

It has been confirmed during Press Conferences that Malaysia has been working with the FBI since Day 1. There is no such thing as 'local' FBI!! Your post is more pointless than anything I have posted! :rolleyes:

typos, petty, wasting space, pointless posts?

It has been confirmed during Press Conferences that Malaysia has been working with the FBI since Day 1. There is no such thing as 'local' FBI!! Your post is more pointless than anything I have posted! :rolleyes:

go look back over your posts seriously, you've been going in circles since day one, obviously there is no such thing as local fbi?!.. why point it out and try belittle someone for the sake of it?

I might stick to reading the updates thread instead of all you noobs new to this forum jumping on board when there is some big news

No. They call you. :pac:

I wasn't implying you were implying or questioning, I was confirming there was written confirmation that they had confirmed an FBI connection as it all seemed wild nonsense that I had probably imagined, but turns out to be true.
    Hope that's clear.;)
    The term "local FBI" was used in one report. But they don't exist.
    Did I mention doublespeak, of course not.
    Murky - that's probably the best adjective for this whole situation.

robbieVan wrote: »
    go look back over your posts seriously, you've been going in circles since day one, obviously there is no such thing as local fbi?!.. why point it out and try belittle someone for the sake of it?

I might stick to reading the updates thread instead of all you noobs new to this forum jumping on board when there is some big news

Well it wasn't obvious to the poster?

Well it wasn't obvious to the poster?

He was quoting a report or is 7 years old.

• Advertisement

No. They call you. :pac:

I wasn't implying you were implying or questioning, I was confirming there was written confirmation that they had confirmed an FBI connection as it all seemed wild nonsense that I had probably imagined, but turns out to be true.
    Hope that's clear.;)
    The term "local FBI" was used in one report. But they don't exist.
    Did I mention doublespeak, of course not.
    Murky - that's probably the best adjective for this whole situation.

At this point, I wouldn't even take 'confirmed reports' from Malaysian officials/government as truth.

Advertisement