Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I hope for all concerned that this turns out to be the missing flight, but I have my doubts and something just doesn't add up here, especially in relation to where he was said to have been heading when contact was lost - the plane would have had to make another turn to end up where they are searching now. Doesn't make sense but I hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

irishmover wrote: »
    Not sure if I missed something earlier but the two countries with Radar ability heading there were a US plane and an Aussie plane.

I don't believe that has changed but might have missed something.

There where reports last night that Malaysia had received 'significant radar data' from another country. Can't find the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

So if this is the wreckage, does this mean that the flight had its course changed again after the transponder was switched off??

Is it possible in this day and age for a plane to have a catastrophic electrical system failure and get lost? Is the fly by wire system separate to the other important systems on board?

I'm sorry if these questions have been already answered on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

excuse my ignorance but is a 80 foot piece of plane left intact not huge for a high impact crash into the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

excuse my ignorance but is a 80 foot piece of plane left intact not huge for a high impact crash into the sea?

Maybe it nose dived and the wings broke off? Non-expert here by the way so i'm probably way off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

not really...the tail of the AF plane in 2009 was pretty intact and 24m isnt a huge span to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Had a look at the video on guardian website and am more convinced now that this could be significant find.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I wonder was the 'other country' with radar data, Australia? Hope for the families this is it, would just be devastating for another false alarm.

well i am pretty sure the families are hoping that its a false alarm and they are found alive and well on land somewhere. unlikely i know, but still..

well i am pretty sure the families are hoping that its a false alarm and they are found alive and well on land somewhere. unlikely i know, but still..

Of course. I phrased that wrong.
    Having been closely involved in a long running search for a person, the constant hope and then dashing of hope tore the family in shreds. It was extra hard on them when the eventual outcome was the worst one.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

That little lump in the throat has gotten tighter this morning ..

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Had a look at the video on guardian website and am more convinced now that this could be significant find.

Link here, would be of the same opinion, looks like they are responding based on fairly good assessments of what is there.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/20/mh370-two-possible-objects-may-have-been-found-in-australian-search-zone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

RTE Website now has an article on the find with this image..

0008ace1-615.jpg

Journalist on RTE saying that aircraft in the area are getting radar hits from a large object under water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Silly question, did the plane even have enough fuel to get to that area?
    I thought it could only reach Northern coast of Australia (but admittedly this is quite a bit to the west of Australia)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^the debri could have got there by the ocean current

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    I thought it could only reach Northern coast of Australia (but admittedly this is quite a bit to the west of Australia)

Well of course there are too many variables to say exactly how far it can go. But given that it was originally due to fly to Beijing, add a couple of extra hours in reserve, then the suggested location seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

MuffinsDa wrote: »

I think the end of the yellow arrowhead lines (image on previous page) indicate the estimated maximum flight distance of the aircraft hence why this find is so significant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Some confusion as to when those satellite pictures appeared. They have 16-03-14 on them, yet the Malaysian say they only appeared today?
    Maybe its just a time lag, but its another fuzzy bit of info to add to all the other fuzzy data which has been drip fed to the relatives & the media.

Looks like they've found it this time, with eighteen ships from several countries on the way, and multiple aircraft too. I think an Australian merchant ship is expected to be the 1st on the scene today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

LordSutch wrote: »
    Some confusion as to when those satellite pictures appeared. They have 16-03-14 on them, yet the Malaysian say they only appeared today?
    Maybe its just a time lag, but its another fuzzy bit of info to add to all the other fuzzy info which has been drip fed to the relatives & the media.

I'd say they were taken by the satellite on the 16th, but a human probably still has to trawl through the images collected, which wouldn't be instantaneous?
    Also, they had the images examined by some geo-spatial agency too, for credibility. That would have taken time also.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Maybe its just a time lag, but its another fuzzy bit of info to add to all the other fuzzy data which has been drip fed to the relatives & the media.

Looks like they've found it this time, with eighteen ships from several countries on the way, and multiple aircraft too. I think an Australian merchant ship is expected to be the 1st on the scene today.

Malaysian minister said 'today' but was corrected by Transport minister. They received the news about them today, it seems. Aussies did preliminary investigations with experts first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

A friend on Facebook said that God raptured them all and made the plane invisible and no amount of searching or science will help.

.......... and then I clicked the unfriend button.

I hope that the items found off Australia turn out to be the wreckage so the relatives can get some closure as to where the plane is and then a proper investigation can begin.

a ship has arrived in the area now, so we should have news one way or another in the next few hours.

surely though planes would be able to see this at low altitude what they objects are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

a ship has arrived in the area now, so we should have news one way or another in the next few hours.

surely though planes would be able to see this at low altitude what they objects are?

Limited visibility (rain and low cloud) and it's getting dark. Radar would be only use on planes right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It sounds like they're using better equipment. What I'd seen to-date was the RMAF looking for items visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Apologies for asking a novice question, but does the black box remain with the plane or does it detach? If the plane remained mostly in tact would it be easier to retrieve the black box?

Just wondering due to reports of something large being picked up by radar.

P-8 found nothing!

A US search flight over the Indian Ocean has drawn a blank, according to Fox News and ABC.

US Navy says P-8 Poseidon aircraft completed 10-hour search mission over Indian Ocean and found nothing http://t.co/ElDTwNu4Cm #MH370

— Fox News (@FoxNews) March 20, 2014
    US P-8 "spotter" lands back at Perth after searching for possible debris from #MH370. No objects seen says @WrightUps. Full report @GMA

— Jon Williams (@WilliamsJon) March 20, 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

irishmover wrote: »
    Limited visibility (rain and low cloud) and it's getting dark. Radar would be only use on planes right now.

its 7pm in Perth and this location is a long way west of that so should be another bit of daylight yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

As far as I am aware, it's usually in the tail section of most aircraft.

It's contained in the aircraft itself, so finding it relatively intact would make retrieval a lot easier.

Basically it's a very, very, very robust orange box. It's not actually black at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

fits wrote: »
    its 7pm in Perth and this location is a long way west of that so should be another bit of daylight yet.

Ah you fixed it! There's only about an hour of daylight left.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html

• Advertisement

I'd say if the P-8 with all the equipment couldn't spot anything and returned empty handed, it would be unlikely for a merchant vessel to find it. But you never know.

Advertisement