Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The one awful scenario that sticks in my head is the theory that the plane decended and skimmed alomg the water intact, and then promptly sank with all onboard.

Dont know if that's possible, but its a scary/terrible theory.

I guess we'll hear of 'black box' sonar signal by this time tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Kavs8

When the plane makes impact and the transponder emits a signal, does it give detailed co-ordinates?
    It has been reported that the transponder signal was picked up so you would think that they would have a very good idea of the impact location.

That report was subsequently denied by Vietnamese military. What you're talking about is the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) which emits a signal when an aircraft crashes, we have no information if it activated or not. That signal is then picked up using VHF detectors so in layman's terms they will search the area and the signal becomes stronger when they are near the location.
    water intact, and then promptly sank with all onboard.

Chances of that happening with a 777-200 are nil to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

LordSutch wrote: »
    The one awful scenario that sticks in my head is the theory that the plane decended and skimmed alomg the water intact, and then promptly sank with all onboard.

Dont know if that's possible, but its a scary/terrible theory.

I guess we'll hear of 'black box' sonar signal by this time tomorrow.

Didnt a plane land in the Hudson river using that technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Kavs8 wrote: »
    That report was subsequently denied by Vietnamese military. What you're talking about is the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) which emits a signal when an aircraft crashes, we have no information if it activated or not. That signal is then picked up using VHF detectors so in layman's terms they will search the area and the signal becomes stronger when they are near the location.

Chances of that happening with a 777-200 are nil to zero.

Ya I read that the statement was withdrawn by the military but very strange that it would be issued in the first place. How would they have known unless the signal had been picked up, and as you said they would have to have been close to the location.
    The Chinese have been known to be secretive so who knows if the full facts are coming out or not.

Thrill wrote: »

Yes in broad-day light after double engine failure remaining on radar until it touched-down approx 3mins it was on radar (the whole event) - This flight disappeared from radar that theory has no standing I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 king909

This might be completely wrong, But they say they have found two oil slicks in the ocean thats expected to be from the plane? surely if they were found there would be some degree of carnage in the area. Planes are built of light materials for the most part, some things would have to be floating around the area?

Im no conspiracy theorist, but to be honest it feels like there is some info that is being held back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think a lot of people will remember this footage from a hijacking of an Ethiopian Airlines plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

King I think it would be safe to assume that a lot of information is being held back.

TV not a chance haha! There'd be uproar, ''ATC: Ryanair 2TG, report your position'' - ''ATC: Ryanair 2TG'' - ''Ryanair 2TG: Sorry, just catching up on Scrubs, go ahead''

well sure what else are you supposed to do for long flights when you're cruising along? I'd presume they (pilots) bring tablets and such with them to go online?

Be a long, long day, otherwise. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I dont understand how the plane just disappeared from the radar. Can anyone explain in simple terms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Thrill wrote: »

As far as I know that was possible because the flight had only just taken off and was not at a high altitude like this flight would have been. Also, it landed on a relatively calm river. I read that at the speed this plane would have been going combined with the waves on the oceans surface, that it would be equivalent to hitting concrete

well sure what else are you supposed to do for long flights when you're cruising along? I'd presume they (pilots) bring tablets and such with them to go online?

Be a long, long day, otherwise. :(

Of course they have laptops/tablets but in the flight deck its strictly work I'm afraid, laptops would generally be used btw to file flight reports, get updated weather, get latest company updates etc, nothing else - Even before take-off flight crew phones are off to ensure absolute concentration.

I dont understand how the plane just disappeared from the radar. Can anyone explain in simple terms?

An event caused the cessation of all communication from the aircraft. An example a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Of course they have laptops/tablets but in the flight deck its strictly work I'm afraid, laptops would generally be used btw to file flight reports, get updated weather, get latest weather for destination etc, nothing else - Even before take-off flight crew phones are off to ensure absolute concentration.

Ha ha, if you want to believe this you are welcome to

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

An event caused the cessation of all communication from the aircraft. An example a bomb.

Surely debris would be evident everwhere? Would other planes not notice smoke etc in sky?

billie1b wrote: »
    Ha ha, if you want to believe this you are welcome to

Of course not in all companies example Ryanair, have a look at the lucky lads who work for Cathay Pacific and most long haul operating airlines. :)

Surely debris would be evident everwhere? Would other planes not notice smoke etc in sky?

That's the problem there is no confirmation of absolutely anything, there seems to be no witnesses to anything that we know of yet or anything its very much all unknown really.

There is a report that two passengers were travelling on stolen passports.

There is a report that two passengers were travelling on stolen passports.

That is known, it really would help if people could read the thread a lot of information has already been discussed that keeps getting brought up again.

Of course not in all companies example Ryanair, have a look at the lucky lads who work for Cathay Pacific and most long haul operating airlines. :)

There has been many reports due to pilots not communicating with ATC or missing waypoints as they were messing with their laptops or phones in the flightdeck. Northwest being my most memorable one, they overshot their destination by 150 miles

• Advertisement

There has been many reports due to pilots not communicating with ATC or missing waypoints as they were messing with their laptops or phones in the flightdeck. Northwest being my most memorable one, the overshot their destination by 150 miles

That's the reason only one person is allowed at any onetime use them, those two pilots were sacked because the was no PM (Pilot Monitoring).

That's the reason only one person is allowed at any onetime use them, those two pilots were sacked because the was no PM (Pilot Monitoring).

And if you believe that it happens that only one pilot uses your in for a real shocker.

billie1b wrote: »
    And if you believe that it happens that only one pilot uses your in for a real shocker.

Well I'm not interested to be honest, the company I previously worked for never seen such incidents as some people take there job seriously. And we are deviating from the forum onto a totally unrelated subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Here's the SigWx chart for 18Z yesterday (7th March), showing nothing much of a threat weatherwise. The satellite pic backs this up.

297732.gif

Satellite image on avherald.com
    http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

That is known, it really would help if people could read the thread a lot of information has already been discussed that keeps getting brought up again.

Sorry, but reading 26 pages at this hour of the night is a bit much. I sincerely hope it's nothing sinister. Tragic, no matter how you look at it.

Sorry, but reading 26 pages at this hour of the night is a bit much. I sincerely hope it's nothing sinister. Tragic, no matter how you look at it.

Don't mean to come across badly, but the reason there's so many pages is because people keep asking the same questions. :)

Thanks for that image FWVT!

Well I'm not interested to be honest, the company I previously worked for never seen such incidents as some people take there job seriously. And we are deviating from the forum onto a totally unrelated subject.

Correct, apologies for going off topic

Just as there seems to be lots of questions re-surfacing again I'll provide a known summary;

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370/MAS370 (also operated as a codeshare flight for China Southern Airlines as CZ748) was scheduled to depart Kuala Lumpur at 00:35, arriving in Beijing at 06:30 (all times local). It departed at 00:41 (16:41 GMT), and abruptly disappeared from radar at 01:22 Malaysian Time (17:22 GMT) on 8th March 2014 (7th March in Ireland).

The aircraft operating the flight was a Boeing 777-200 registration 9M-MRO, it previously was involved in a incident whilst taxiing but there is no information to suggest this is related to the disappearance.

The flight carried 227 passengers and 12 crew.

Two passengers traveled on the flight using stolen passports.

The aircraft 9M-MRO had undergone a maintenance check just ten days ago.

Malaysia Airlines is a well established and safety conscious airline with a high reputation as a reputable carrier, it is part of the oneworld global alliance.

All the above is known factual information, everything else at this stage is speculation.

Two oil slicks have been found approximately 120nm north of Kota Bharu in Malaysia the approximate position matches the last known radar location of MH370, but as of yet this is to be confirmed if they belong to MH370.

Known theories being pursued are;

Terrorism

In-Flight Structural Failure (Catastrophic)

What ever the cause, the aircraft disappeared from radar suddenly as the transponder is believed to have sent information before ceasing (one minute before dropping of radar) - the heading of the aircraft (333 degrees), its altitude (35,000ft) and speed (468kts) all changed to a heading of 024 degrees an altitude of 0ft and speed of 0kts within one minute suggesting a catastrophic event had taken place - this however is erroneous information and is clear evidence the flight has crashed.

Searches for the aircraft have now resumed since 07:20 local 9th March in Malaysia (23:20 GMT - 8th March in Ireland).

UPDATE - A second Malaysian Airlines flight bound for Tokyo Nartia is believed to have made contact with MH370 using the emergency radio frequency (121.5 MHz). New Straits Times is reporting that the flight made contact with MH370 at "just after 1:30am";

"We managed to establish contact with MH370 just after 1.30am and asked them if they have transferred into Vietnamese airspace.''

"The voice on the other side could have been either Captain Zaharie (Ahmad Shah, 53,) or Fariq (Abdul Hamid, 27), but I was sure it was the co-pilot.''
    "There were a lot of interference... static... but I heard mumbling from the other end.''

"That was the last time we heard from them, as we lost the connection," he told the New Sunday Times.

He said those on the same frequency at the time would have heard the exchange.

This, he said, would include vessels on the waters below.

He said he thought nothing of it, as the occurrence (of losing contact) was normal, until it was established that MH370 never landed.

"If the plane was in trouble, we would have heard the pilot making the Mayday distress call. But I am sure that, like me, no one else up there heard it.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Some extra info
    Aircraft had been involved in a taxiing collision in Aug 2012.
    Broke off wingtip on tail of an A340
    http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=147571

Full passenger list released by Malaysian Airlines

Advertisement