Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Or it has been shot down accidently and the culprits are lying low, someone somewhere is not telling the full truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

The idea of landing plane for future attack is quite unthinkable, but then again, who saw 9/11 coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

*Unfollows thread*

Oh no!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

sopretty wrote: »
    While pilot suicide is still possible I suppose, I find it hard to understand that he wouldn't have done it straight away. Why fly on for hours?

I personally don't think it's Pilot Suicide either, but as someone pointed out to me, if someone has decided to commit suicide, you can't then expect them to follow any 'social norms' or expectations and just do it immediately somewhere, if that makes sense? If someone is in that place emotionally, who knows how they're thinking?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

jasonb wrote: »
    I personally don't think it's Pilot Suicide either, but as someone pointed out to me, if someone has decided to commit suicide, you can't then expect them to follow any 'social norms' or expectations and just do it immediately somewhere, if that makes sense? If someone is in that place emotionally, who knows how they're thinking?

J.

That is a good point alright. Malaysian authorities haven't indicated that they have ruled anything out yet. Now, whether that's because they actually still have every possibility on the board or whether it's just what they're telling the public, well that is anyone's guess!

Calina wrote: »

Hahahahaha - and you think we're tossing out ludicrous theories here!

:D

:pac:

Calina wrote: »

Seriously though - you'd be committed for psychosis here if you came out with that? Is she alright in the head like?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lb1

It didn't have the range to reach Somalia or Yemen.

Not according to this

https://www.metabunk.org/data/MetaMirrorCache/dffaffd5c383235256835a582615b6ab.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

robbieVan wrote: »
    of course every imaginable situation has to be looked at, but is it a real one? is it credible?

Yes it is entirely credible until we know what happened this jet. The Israeli's who would know more than you or I about what is happening in the region would not be taking the precautions that they are, if it wasn't credible.
    India switches off primary radar at night to save money so the possibilities that others were not paying attention that night is high. The hijackers of 9/11 based their audacious attack on exactly the same risk and probability and look what incredible things happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lb1

GEO147 wrote: »
    Yeah agreed. But if they were going to use it to crash into something else, they would surely have coordinated it to have flown it straight there and crashed it before the whole world knew the plane was missing and had their eyes out on sticks for it?

Much more straight forward operation than hijack>land>hide>take off>fly> and crash.

They would land it in order to arm it with a dirty bomb or gods knows what.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

the above is your post from last week.

in the space of a week you have gone from it definitely not being a hijacking to it definitely being one. To be honest i don't see any point in discussing this further.
    When I made my first comment, the plane had not been missing for two weeks. A large amount of new information has come out in that time and after considering it, I have changed my opinion. Do you think I should insist its broken up in the gulf of Thailand somewhere?

I believe its in the hands of Al Qaida in preparation of the biggest terrorist attack this planet has ever seen. And right now would be the perfect time to move the jet to a new location. Its just a futile waste of time searching the latest site. I can assure you, the intelligence agencies are looking elsewhere.

lb1 wrote: »
    Still nothing concrete from the search site. Until the plane is found the possibility of it being stored somewhere for a future terror attack remains a real possibility.

Fact!!

I don't understand this theory at all, why go through all the trouble of stealing the plane and landing it somewhere when so many things could go wrong from easily being stopped at security at the airport right up to being shot down when in military airspace and everything in between.. when you can just go and buy a commercial jet for not too much

http://www.findaircraft.com/findaircraft/aircrafttypes.php?AircraftType=Boeing%20Commercial

Because you can't buy 220 hostages. Which will buy you flight tome if intercepted en route to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

As the days go on the likelihood of ever finding the plane grows slimmer. With the depth of the indian ocean and the search area involved they may never be found and we will never know what happened. Terrible for the families.

There's cheaper than that first off and secondly are you serious?.. Do you think they went through this elaborate plan with a million flaws and a million things that could go wrong just to steal an airplane, WHEN THERE IS A HELL OF A LOT SIMPLER WAYS IF YOU REALLY WANTED A PLANE, somehow fly it undetected through closely guarded airspace, land it somewhere where no one notices or says anything about hearing it and hide it away in a big shed?! then kill off 250 pax and stop them all from using their phones etc etc etc .. really? that sounds fine to you? and everyone else who thinks that?

If I end up being wrong I'll eat my words and applaud the absolute insanity of it all

They have already accomplished 90% of what you've just said ��

You serious?.. have you totally missed the point here?.. of course they are capable of anything, I didn't say that, they would not be able to pull it off, that's the point

What about 9/11?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

More countries sending resources to the search in the Indian Ocean, im sure there is information not in public domain which confirms it is the crash site.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/world/asia/missing-malaysia-flight.html?hp&_r=0

one fact that is apparent is that you haven't a clue what you are talking about, 'winging it' you might say.

The plane was picked up by satellite for hours following the last verbal communication. This has led to the search in the Indian ocean. The resources being put into that search now would indicate the various authorities are almost certain that it crashed there.

I too am fed up with the total rubbish being posted here and am in no doubt that normal posters to the aviation forum are keeping well away, which is a pity as their opinions would be the most valuable.

You are incorrect. The one satellite which was pinging it simply asks 'Are you there'? It does not give its location. Hence the arch. If one more satellite had pinged it, then between them they could have calculated its location. They are only focusing on the Indian ocean because of the debris

Here is an excellent summary of what we know so far...

http://theaviationist.com/2014/03/20/mh370-total-recap/

• Advertisement

dees99 wrote: »
    You are incorrect. The one satellite which was pinging it simply asks 'Are you there'? It does not give its location. Hence the arch. If one more satellite had pinged it, then between them they could have calculated its location. They are only focusing on the Indian ocean because of the debris

im not entering further discussions with you as i find your theory idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

More countries sending resources to the search in the Indian Ocean, im sure there is information not in public domain which confirms it is the crash site.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/world/asia/missing-malaysia-flight.html?hp&_r=0

Yes it does seem they are putting so many resources into this they must know more than they tell us.

Or maybe they just don't have a choice, what with the global media coverage.

To go back to the Northern arc possibility, anyone know what countries exactly officially confirmed no radar detection ?

From my understanding :
    ~ India : kept it deliberately vague.
    ~ Bangladesh : no radar detection
    ~ Thailand : delayed report of detection
    ~ Afghanistan : think I saw something very early on about them being positive about nothing detected but not sure.

What about Laos (think I read something but can't remember), Myanmar/Burma, Nepal (if India coverage, then vague again), Bhutan (pretty much Indian air force from what I gather from wiki), and Pakistan ?

It would be great to have some more info in that regard, that would allow to then rule out the North Arc and possibility of plane theft for good.
    Or kind of, as said above, the first diagrams shown as to what fuel capacity the plane had did show Somalia, Oman, and Yemen as a possibility.

As long as India cannot positively declare that it did not detect anything, it does leave a degree of uncertainty over what happened.

Yes it does seem they are putting so many resources into this they must know more than they tell us.

Or maybe they just don't have a choice, what with the global media coverage.

To go back to the Northern arc possibility, anyone know what countries exactly officially confirmed no radar detection ?

From my understanding :
    ~ India : kept it deliberately vague.
    ~ Bangladesh : no radar detection
    ~ Thailand : delayed report of detection
    ~ Afghanistan : think I saw something very early on about them being positive about nothing detected but not sure.

What about Laos (think I read something but can't remember), Myanmar/Burma, Nepal (if India coverage, then vague again), Bhutan (pretty much Indian air force from what I gather from wiki), and Pakistan ?

It would be great to have some more info in that regard, that would allow to then rule out the North Arc and possibility of plane theft for good.
    Or kind of, as said above, the first diagrams shown as to what fuel capacity the plane had did show Somalia, Oman, and Yemen as a possibility.

As long as India cannot positively declare that it did not detect anything, it does leave a degree of incertitude over what happened.

From what I know, only 3 countries definitively stated that it had not been detected in their airspaces - the only one I recall is Laos. I can't remember who the other two were.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

dees99 wrote: »
    Actually they are still looking at the northern arc. The daily briefing mentioned contact with Kazakhstan authorities.

The ping does give them a location, albeit extremely vague. The 'location' is a curved line which shows the possible location of the aircraft at the time of the ping. This is based on the 40 degree angle of the singal to the satellite. The aircraft could have flown for 2-3 hours after that ping.

Tenger wrote: »
    Actually they are still looking at the northern arc. The daily briefing mentioned contact with Kazakhstan authorities.

The ping does give them a location, albeit extremely vague. The 'location' is a curved line which shows the possible location of the aircraft at the time of the ping. This is based on the 40 degree angle of the singal to the satellite. The aircraft could have flown for 2-3 hours after that ping.

Not very useful.

Now, here's a question.

They have a last known waypoint and time at that waypoint presumably?

Then they have the time at some point on the arc 8.11am.

Obviously, it is going to take a lot less time to just get to the centre of the arc, than it would take to get to the further outer ends of the arc, from the last waypoint.

Presumably they're factoring this in?

I'm suspicious that they don't actually know how much fuel was left on board, or indeed, how much fuel was onboard at take-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Just found that, meh, not very informative, but it does state that Pakistan said they found nothing on their records.
    As to Kazakhstan's statement, well, that just implies that other countries would have to be positive nothing passed over their airspace, which they are not (India vague, and no word from Myanmar).
    Kazakhstan's civil aviation authority told the BBC it was not possible for the plane to have reached its airspace undetected, noting that it would have had to fly over China, India and other countries, while Pakistan's civil aviation authority said checks of its radar recordings found nothing connected to the flight.

Military radar systems can also be limited in their coverage and may not always be in use. Malaysia's briefings have made it clear that its own military did not initially take heed of MH370 when it appeared on radar screens heading westwards after diverting. A senior Indian official also told Reuters this weekend that the Boeing 777 might not have been detected by installations on the Andaman and Nicobar islands because the radars might have been switched off, adding: "We operate on an 'as required' basis."
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/17/mh370-could-have-flown-low-5000ft-avoid-radar

This is just bothering me.

I'm not even thinking of the flying in shadow of another aircraft thing, or flying low, I'm just thinking it's not clear whether all these areas are indeed covered by radar, whether the radars were functioning in the time range the flight might have gone by, whether the radar reports/readings are reliable (could something have been detected, overlooked, and the recording erased ? Do countries/equipment keep radar records for any specified length of time ?)

That's a lot of uncertainty, at least for us media fed spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

sopretty wrote: »
    Not very useful.

In the purest scheme of things, you could argue that maybe it's not useful. However, we have nothing else and this type of data was never designed to be a spatial locator either. We are barrel scraping in terms of clues right now.

Ultimately, given that this plane appears to be nowhere near where it was expected or supposed to be, if we find it, either to the north or the south, based on a network ping, I think that would be a monumental achievement under the circumstances.

Just found that, meh, not very informative, but it does state that Pakistan said they found nothing on their records.
    As to Kazakhstan's statement, well, that just implies that other countries would have to be positive nothing passed over their airspace, which they are not (India vague, and no word from Myanmar).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/17/mh370-could-have-flown-low-5000ft-avoid-radar

This is just bothering me.

I'm not even thinking of the flying in shadow of another aircraft thing, or flying low, I'm just thinking it's not clear whether all these areas are indeed covered by radar, whether the radars were functioning in the time range the flight might have gone by, whether the radar reports/readings are reliable (could something have been detected, overlooked, and the recording erased ? Do countries/equipment keep radar records for any specified length of time ?)

That's a lot of uncertainty, at least for us media fed spectators.

I don't think they like to admit that their military radar monitoring is sh*te!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

Well, I think some authority knows something, I can't understand why a sat image that was discovered nearly a week ago was only revealed a day or two ago, I would bet my bottom dollar that the Aussies have done a recon maybe last sun or mon and indentified something from the plane, surely they would have checked this out immediately ?

Advertisement