Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Meanwhile on Skynews :
    http://news.sky.com/story/1229773/missing-plane-expert-rules-out-fire-theory
    DavidLearmount from flight global thinks there was no fire.

And on cnn it is said that the pilot's hard drives are now being analysed by FBI, and they have found that there were more files deleted than initially thought, some had been deleted after 3rd Feb ( contrary to Malaysian info), and because of different procedures, they could have been tampered with before home was sealed for searches. http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/21/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-hard-drive-deletions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I dunno, you tell me. Would they need to enter airport and go should same security measures that passengers do? I doubt it, they probably have passes to go straight to work on the ground. Not saying there are no security measures for people who work as baggage handlers or cleaners, I'm saying would be easy to infiltrate . If they are asking questions about the pilot...... why not the guy who was hanging around the landing gear before take off ?
    I'm not sure what to say. Do you really think that ground crew could just walk into work with a bomb and attach it to a plane? And that no terrorist had thought of this?
    Luckily, I guess, there is pretty hefty security and you haven't given some emerging terrorist group any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to say. Do you really think that ground crew could just walk into work with a bomb and attach it to a plane? And that no terrorist had thought of this?
    Luckily, I guess, there is pretty hefty security and you haven't given some emerging terrorist group any ideas

If a ground worker was a terrorist I'm sure he could piece together his bomb by bringing it to work bit by bit.
    Then once completed stick it on landing gear. It's very possible if not probable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Bill G wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not sure what ignorance you are refering to.
    Initially the tone of your reply, now possibly the knowledge of the multiple meanings for the word ignorant.
    sopretty wrote: »
    Seriously though - you'd be committed for psychosis here if you came out with that? Is she alright in the head like?

It's a satirical piece, American humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Initially the tone of your reply, now possibly the knowledge of the multiple meanings for the word ignorant.

It's a satirical piece, American humour.

Ah! Thought the poor woman had completely lost her marbles. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Meanwhile on Skynews :

And on cnn it is said that the pilot's hard drives are now being analysed by FBI, and they have found that there were more files deleted than initially thought, some had been deleted after 3rd Feb ( contrary to Malaysian info), and because of different procedures, they could have been tampered with before home was sealed for searches. http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/21/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-hard-drive-deletions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Hands up who hasn't deleted files from a PC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Meanwhile on Skynews :

Not giving credence to the captain theory but question more the investigation - apparently they retrieved a laptop some days previous. Yet there was mention he had taken his on board. Then many days later they dismantle his flight sim and reassemble at police station.

All whys?
    Why take laptop first time and where is it now.
    Why not secure image the flight sim in situ and analyse.
    There was a fair bit of scope for error in resetting it up.
    There appeared such a huge degree of amateurishness when the insignia covered head of police system addressed reporters about the flight sim that it doesn't surprise at all evidence may be lost or "altered"

I was going to post a huge multiposted reply to all the CT/ antiCT posts in the last day, but I nearly lost the will to laugh, so I will just say, its hard to say who is better serving the CT theories, those for, or those attempting to be against.
    Opinions are rarely proof and a lot of people were caught with their pants down 13 years ago when unprecedented things happened leaving a lot of headless response for several days from what should be the most prepared nation for security.
    Someone said "who could see that coming" - some might say "Why didn't they?"
    Referring to security conditions in an airport the other side of the world, a route unlikely to be considered a target might not be comparable to more sensitive locations. This is also an airline with form for allowing questionable people aboard - even prior to the fake passports, fined twice by NZ court.

Nothing can be discounted, but even sane theories need proof. That's why CTs abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

sopretty wrote: »
    Ah! Thought the poor woman had completely lost her marbles. :eek:
    I think (hope) there are 2 or 3 left somewhere! :D
    ted1 wrote: »
    They're focussing on the captain a lot alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I dunno, you tell me. Would they need to enter airport and go should same security measures that passengers do? I doubt it, they probably have passes to go straight to work on the ground. Not saying there are no security measures for people who work as baggage handlers or cleaners, I'm saying would be easy to infiltrate . If they are asking questions about the pilot...... why not the guy who was hanging around the landing gear before take off ?

People who work airside are subjected to the same searches day in day out than passengers get, Infact it can be more than once if you go landside for whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Why would he delete any files, unless he was sure and confident he would have no use for them ever again!! and the plot thickens......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

ardle1 wrote: »
    Why would he delete any files, unless he was sure and confident he would have no use for them ever again!! and the plot thickens......
    it is really no indication of anything, not even slightly unusual, unless said files are shown to directly relate to alarming scenarios.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Why no fighter jets were sent either by vietnam or malaysia once they knew flight changed course or plane went off radars ?? Is this not the norm after 9/11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would take a look at people on ground at airport. Hate to give terrorists ideas, but what if someone on the ground put a magnetic bomb on the landing gear, gear goes up after take off and mission accomplished . Then the timer goes off 90 mins into flight bomb explodes and takes out the electrics , transponder & ACARS .
    No need to pass security as not boarding plane, could be a baggage handler or cleaner of jet. So many low level workers have huge access to planes landing gear.
    ardle1 wrote: »

I delete files from my PC on a regular basis. Usually when I want to restart stuff from new, for example.

And having worked in IT for a while, lots of people even delete files they want to keep.

Deleted files are, for the most part inocuous.

Also, for general information: I want to reiterate that airport staff are subject to security screening through metal detectors. They do not get to walk around willynilly just because they have an employment pass. Access to aircraft accessible areas is restricted.

Forming a hypothesis on the basis that staff are subject to significantly less security is forming a hypothesis based on vapor.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

CNN reporting China has a new satellite image of floating object size 30m in Southern search region...

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

large odject found by Chinese

http://news.sky.com/story/1230164/missing-plane-china-spots-large-object-in-sea

The Chinese government has said it has located a large object in the sea after viewing satellite imagery.

During a news conference in Kualu Lumpur on Saturday, Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein was handed a piece of paper containing details of the apparent discovery.

The object is thought to be 72ft long (22m) and 98ft wide (30m) and was spotted somewhere in the southern search corridor in the Indian Ocean.

The search operation of the ocean south west of Perth in western Australia involving six aircraft on Saturday failed to locate any sign of debris spotted by a satellite last week.

But bad weather could affect the operation after a cyclone warning was declared for Tropical Cyclone Gillian, which is forecast to move into the southern search corridor.

Mr Hussein said: "A cyclone warning has been declared for Tropical Cyclone Gillian, which is located in the southern corridor. Very strong winds and rough seas are expected there today.

"In the area where possible objects were identified by Australian authorities, there are strong currents and rough seas. Generally, conditions in the southern corridor are very challenging."

It comes after angry scenes at a meeting in Beijing when Malaysian officials attempted to leave without answering questions on the search operation from relatives of the missing passengers.

One shouted: "You can't go. You can't leave here. We are here waiting for you 14 days. We want to know what happened, what the reality is."

Another said: "We don't even know if our family members are alive or dead. We should never let them treat us like this!"

On Saturday, India said it had found no evidence the missing jet flew through its airspace after checking its radar records.

The plane disappeared on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing two weeks ago with 239 people on board, the majority of them from China.

Authorities face a race against time to locate the plane's black box voice and data recorder, which only transmits an electronic signal for 30 days before running out of battery.

After that it will be much harder to locate the piece of equipment that is likely to hold the key to solving the mystery of what happened to the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

dees99 wrote: »
    Because you can't buy 220 hostages. Which will buy you flight tome if intercepted en route to target.

I think your theory is ridiculous.

Do you seriously think there are 229 people sitting in a cramped plane for the last 15 days, imagine the amount of p1ss and sh1t in the plane?

Then the hijackers need to cover all the exits 24/7 so that's a minimum of 2 shifts 7 days a week. That's around 16 of them, all with guns sneaked onto the plane, but the authorities have screened all the passenger by now and found nobody with terrorist links.

Then theres the cost of feeding the passengers, suppose its €20 per person per day from the local takeaway for food and drink, that's a bill of €70000 for food so far.

Surely the Pizza delivery guy would cop it that there is something amiss?

Then there will be cost of refuelling the plane if its to be used as a bomb, that's another 200000 litres, at €1 per litre, so another €200000.

Intelligence agencies have moles in all terrorist groups, they would have got wind of this a long time back.

You need to find an extremely isolated airfield, where nobody will come near for more than 2 weeks, and it has to have a McDonalds beside it.

Your theory is off the wall. The plane is crashed somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭guyjohn

Anyone got a link as to what altitude the plane was at flying west over Malaysia . I have seen 5000' and FL230.
    There are 3 International airports in the region with ATC control radars that cover the flight path. The initial turn west put the flight path heading back direct to Langawi International Airport.I believe some information is being kept secret.
    The identity of the Iranians with false passports has not been investigated fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

relaxed wrote: »

Do you seriously think there are 229 people sitting in a cramped plane for
    Then theres the cost of feeding the passengers, suppose its €20 per person per day from the local takeaway for food and drink, that's a bill of €70000 for food so far.

:D

"hello dominos pizza? can i have 200 Margherita pizzas please

you can delivered them to the hijacked jumbo jet in the jungle, oh by the way can you keep its location a secret, thanks"

Ah yeah sure, I'm the same as everyone here, deleting files and cleaning up laptop all the time, that doesn't mean anything in itself.

But if there is a way to recover the files, there could be something interesting in them. Then again there might not.

It does seem like procedure for analysing laptop/hard drives was not very well organized/accomplished.

Think I read he had 2 laptops and the flight simulator, one laptop taken on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well the Chinese are mixing up their lengths and widths to begin with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ah yeah sure, I'm the same as everyone here, deleting files and cleaning up laptop all the time, that doesn't mean anything in itself.

But if there is a way to recover the files, there could be something interesting in them. Then again there might not.

It does seem like procedure for analysing laptop/hard drives was not very well organized/accomplished.

Think I read he had 2 laptops and the flight simulator, one laptop taken on board.

Nothing odd at all, laptops are portable, thats the point of them.

there's a lot of ifs in your statement.

Fact is their is a plane missing, they have no idea where it is.
    People want answers and someone to blame, so there being giving the pilot.

Do you seriously think there are 229 people sitting in a cramped plane for the last 15 days, imagine the amount of p1ss and sh1t in the plane?

Then the hijackers need to cover all the exits 24/7 so that's a minimum of 2 shifts 7 days a week. That's around 16 of them, all with guns sneaked onto the plane, but the authorities have screened all the passenger by now and found nobody with terrorist links.

Then there will be cost of refuelling the plane if its to be used as a bomb, that's another 200000 litres, at €1 per litre, so another €200000.

Intelligence agencies have moles in all terrorist groups, they would have got wind of this a long time back.

You need to find an extremely isolated airfield, where nobody will come near for more than 2 weeks, and it has to have a McDonalds beside it.

Do you seriously think passengers would be kept on the plane and fed take away food ? :eek:
    You wouldn't make a great terrorist :)

I'm keeping an open mind until hopefully we know more.

It is not impossible that the flight headed North, and the plane itself was the object of the disappearance.

But I am hoping the Southern Arc and crash is indeed the outcome, as either way I don't hold much hope for the passengers' lives, and the latest objects spotting might yield some news for family who need to know. It must be torture.

Do you seriously think passengers would be kept on the plane and fed take away food ? :eek:

So they booked them into a hotel then, call it €50 a night, that's €170000 so far.

Where do you think they would be holding the passengers?

Nothing odd at all, laptops are portable, thats the point of them.

there's a lot of ifs in your statement.

Fact is their is a plane missing, they have no idea where it is.
    People want answers and someone to blame, so there being giving the pilot.

That's really trying to get an argument going where there is none. :confused:

I don't find it odd he took his laptop, I don't know how on earth you assume I do, and why you reply so.
    There is only one "if" in my statement : "if" they recover the files, there could be something interesting.

I'm not convinced the pilot is involved, I don't know what the hell you're trying to raise an argument about ? :confused:

I just posted the links last night because they were updates and I thought people might be glad to have a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

While I agree that it's crashed, in the events described I'd imagine feeding one hostage. The rest would be shot but who's to know that. There's your 'additional flight time'. Back on topic the thing still wrecking my head is the last satellite handshake outlasting projected fuel.

GrezzC wrote: »
    While I agree that it's crashed, in the events described I'd imagine feeding one hostage. The rest would be shot but who's to know that. There's your 'additional flight time'. Back on topic the thing still wrecking my head is the last satellite handshake outlasting projected fuel.

In that case why not just hijack a cargo plane and use the 3 or 4 crew members as the hostages?

I just think this theory that terrorists are hiding the plane somewhere for use on a future date to crash into a target is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

fits wrote: »
    Well the Chinese are mixing up their lengths and widths to begin with...

which was because item is 22m x 13m (not 22x30)

So they booked them into a hotel then, call it €50 a night, that's €170000 so far.

Where do you think they would be holding the passengers?

Please tell me you're not serious :confused:

In the mountains of Kyrgyztan or Kahzakstan, or in the remote areas of Pakistan, I think any big hall or cluster of makeshift tents would do for hostages. I don't think kidnappers would even consider booking hostages in a hotel or getting them McDonald's. I'm dumbfounded tbh.

But look, as I said to the other poster above, it's looking for an argument where there isn't one, I am not at all putting one theory before another. I simply think that most theories are possible, including the Northern Arc and plane theft.

That the passengers are kept alive somewhere I actually think is less probable than the other theories.

Please tell me you're not serious :confused:

In the mountains of Kyrgyztan or Kahzakstan, or in the remote areas of Pakistan, I think any big hall or cluster of makeshift tents would do for hostages. I don't think kidnappers would even consider booking hostages in a hotel or getting them McDonald's. I'm dumbfounded tbh.

But look, as I said to the other poster above, it's looking for an argument where there isn't one, I am not at all putting one theory before another. I simply think that most theories are possible, including the Northern Arc and plane theft.

That the passengers are kept alive somewhere I actually think is less probable than the other theories.

Of course I don't think they booked into a hotel or are buying them a McDonalds - I think the plane is crashed.

I just find it absurd that people seriously think that somebody would fly the plane to an obscure airfield, set up a camp of some description and hold them for 15 days and counting, knowing that 1 million and 1 things need to keep going right every day, when they could probably just hijack a cargo plane a lot easier and just fly it straight to target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

Of course I don't think they booked into a hotel or are buying them a McDonalds - I think the plane is crashed.

I just find it absurd that people seriously think that somebody would fly the plane to an obscure airfield, set up a camp of some description and hold them for 15 days and counting, knowing that 1 million and 1 things need to keep going right every day, when they could probably just hijack a cargo plane a lot easier and just fly it straight to target.

Not if they needed to load explosive cargo, which is what a lot of these theories revolve around. Though you're right. A cargo plane would be easier. Passenger craft is a statement too, though.

Advertisement