Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

UK AAIB, Inmarsat Northern / Southern corridors analysis
    Last position WAS in Indian ocean west of Perth

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Inmarsat have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor and it's last positions was in the southern indian ocean west pf perth, ...far from any landing sites......according to the new data....plane lost in southern indian ocean...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Yes I saw that article linked before and thought it was pretty strange. I've never know a cockpit window to break into lots of pieces leaving pieces of broken glass as described on the threshold. A broken landing light would explain it alright. In any case, if a cockpit window had shattered into pieces over the threshold, getting the call into ATC would be the least of their worries!
    True, but once on the ground it's what they'd do.
    Anyway, looks like they didn't know about it, so we can file that story into the "Non-event" archive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

vicwatson wrote: »
    Inmarsat have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor and it's last positions was in the southern indian ocean west pf perth, ...far from any landing sites......according to the new data....plane lost in southern indian ocean...
    How can they confirm this now but couldn't before? Is this anywhere near the southern arc that they had drawn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

May they Rest in Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Satelite data, no wreckage yet. A conspiracy theorist's starter for ten!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    How can they confirm this now but couldn't before? Is this anywhere near the southern arc that they had drawn up?

yes it is. New type of analysis used apparently.

Can't help but think what those final moments were like :(. This thread started before that flight went down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

So now we know where, is a new thread sensible?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Satelite data, no wreckage yet. A conspiracy theorist's starter for ten!

Something and someone conspired for this to happen. Even with wreckage... This is not a normal flight crash. That is not a conclusion from someone who wears a tin foil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

wil wrote: »
    So now we know where, is a new thread sensible?

The 2 threads we have now are enough. When we finally do reach the end following recovery it'll be easier for anyone in the future who wants to read back on the real time reaction to it to find it all in one thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Hoping there bodies are recovered as well as both the FDR/CVR and we are able to find out who/what was responsible for this.

May they all Rest In Peace, goodnight to all. :(

Used a new type of Geometry/Trigonometry that they hadn't used before - yes it's in the southern corridor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Terrible but good news at the same time, im just glad the families can finally put their mind at ease rather then thinking they were taken by hijackers etc. Now to find the blackbox and find out what really happened, and to find out what the authorities found in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Even though it was expected at this stage still very sad to have it confirmed. My heart goes out to all their families I can't imagine what it was like hanging on to every bit of info that was given to them. RIP

All they know at present is the "Flight ended in the Southern Indian Ocean", no debris picked up yet or other information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

They used never before used techniques to determine this...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Used a new type of Geometry/Trigonometry that they hadn't used before - yes it's in the southern corridor

The ping received was a basic "Hello" ping. They then used variables such as the distant and angle of the satellite to the ping source.

They should be able to narrow the search now, taken into account the sightings of debris, the directions of which they might have floated etc, still a big area but a lot smaller than the original 2.5 million square miles they initially dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Full text of Najib Razak's statement

This evening I was briefed by representatives from the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB). They informed me that Inmarsat, the UK company that provided the satellite data which indicated the northern and southern corridors, has been performing further calculations on the data. Using a type of analysis never before used in an investigation of this sort, they have been able to shed more light on MH370’s flight path.

Based on their new analysis, Inmarsat and the AAIB have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor, and that its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth.

This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sites. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean.

We will be holding a press conference tomorrow with further details. In the meantime, we wanted to inform you of this new development at the earliest opportunity. We share this information out of a commitment to openness and respect for the families, two principles which have guided this investigation.

Malaysia Airlines have already spoken to the families of the passengers and crew to inform them of this development. For them, the past few weeks have been heartbreaking; I know this news must be harder still. I urge the media to respect their privacy, and to allow them the space they need at this difficult time.

pfurey101 wrote: »
    The ping received was a basic "Hello" ping. They then used variables such as the distant and angle of the satellite to the ping source.

I'm aware of that, I was answering another poster

• Advertisement

I'm aware of that, I was answering another poster

I'm aware of that also - I assumed that the previous post that posed the question would have been included in the quote. I was just adding to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

All they know at present is the "Flight ended in the Southern Indian Ocean", no debris picked up yet or other information.

I'd be fairly confident they have recovered some significant debris in conjunction with the latest satellite information, I'd be surprised if they staked everything on one satellite interpretation to announce all hope is lost.

This may have been posted already but co pilot was flying for first time without trainer. I feel he may have been the culpable one since he was last in contact.

I'm aware of that also - I assumed that the previous post that posed the question would have been included in the quote. I was just adding to yours.

Then don't quote my post

relaxed wrote: »
    I'd be fairly confident they have recovered some significant debris in conjunction with the latest satellite information, I'd be surprised if they staked everything on one satellite interpretation to announce all hope is lost.

The PM's statement is probably the start of the process of releasing more information.

relaxed wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge they have not picked up any debris as of yet. All sightings at present

The PM's statement is probably the start of the process of releasing more information.

I don't think they've found anything yet. The maths is enough. They might not find anything for weeks, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

fits wrote: »
    This may have been posted already but co pilot was flying for first time without trainer. I feel he may have been the culpable one since he was last in contact.

I presume they all fly without a trainer at some stage, it doesnt mean they are gonna bring down a plane ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Yes, I'd say so. It's going to take some time to confirm whether any collected debris (if collected!) is actually part of the plane? Unless the crew on the boat know how to establish this? I wouldn't have a clue how you'd establish this.

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I presume they all fly without a trainer at some stage, it doesnt mean they are gonna bring down a plane ffs!!

sorry, but on balance of probabilities, it was him.

Advertisement