Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Only flaw in that theory is how did he manage to get the co pilot to go along with it or how did he restrain him? Also, the crew would have known something was up when they went into the cockpit for food/updates from the pilot. Not to mention the passengers who would have noticed that the communication systems were down and mobile phones/in flight maps were not working. Then there is the obvious fact of the flight being at least 8 hours long (an hour and then another 7 heading for the middle of the ocean) when the original flight should have only been 6 hours.

There are too many unanswered questions to say for definite "the pilot went nuts, he is to blame" (not quoting you as such but its the current theory). He isnt here to answer back so its easy to scapegoat him but it doesnt mean its the truth. Nobody knows what happened..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Lads i think ye watch too much telly and not enough reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

^ Only flaw in that theory is how did he manage to get the co pilot to go along with it or how did he restrain him? Also, the crew would have known something was up when they went into the cockpit for food/updates from the pilot. Not to mention the passengers who would have noticed that the communication systems were down and mobile phones/in flight maps were not working. Then there is the obvious fact of the flight being at least 8 hours long (an hour and then another 7 heading for the middle of the ocean) when the original flight should have only been 6 hours.

There are too many unanswered questions to say for definite "the pilot went nuts, he is to blame" (not quoting you as such but its the current theory). He isnt here to answer back so its easy to scapegoat him but it doesnt mean its the truth. Nobody knows what happened..

Lol a few flaws in the theory alright... Fiction... My money is on depressureisation and incapacitation of the whole flight .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Lol a few flaws in the theory alright... Fiction... My money is on depressureisation and incapacitation of the whole flight .

I'm with you on this one.
    However the alleged climb to FL450 then descent to FL120 doesn't seem to fit comfortably. But looking at the way the Malay authorities released info I don't really trust this radar data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm beginning to adopt the theory that the pilot/captain lost his marbles and went on one last simulator 'jolly' after suffering a nervous breakdown at the loss of his marriage. I am thinking that all those 777 simulator hours were used to fly himself and his real plane into oblivion into the middle of nowhere. Totally oblivious to his crew and passengers as innocent victims due to his mind flipping . . . . .

Just a theory^ and the poor chap is more than likely totally innocent, but this theory has been doing the rounds, and (at this moment) it sounds plausible I think?

Perhaps ... I was talking to my uncle the other night - he is an avionics expert and his theory is :

Mechanical failure of some sort - causes plane to depressurize.
    Some reason O2 supply is affected via masks too.
    But pilots/others on plane try to recover the situation - hence plane turning around ... eventually people lose consciousness and plane flies on untill it runs out of fuel.

One thing it doesn't explain is the transponder being switched of - but this could be a side effect of this mechanical failure

People love a sensationalist story like the pilot went nuts and committed mass murder / suicide ... thing is it's most likely something like the above.

Black Box is badly needed here, Boeing should be extremely concerned about this , could be a fault design with the 777.

Mind you it does have an excellent safety record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Tenger wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one.
    However the alleged climb to FL450 then descent to FL120 doesn't seem to fit comfortably. But looking at the way the Malay authorities released info I don't really trust this radar data.

I thought it was proven that a fully loaded 777 (passenger, freight, fuel combination) and at this stage in its flight could only reach FL410 - at a push. The max ceiling appears to be 430!

You can see westbound flights on FR24 cruising FL310 - 350 while the eastbound flight are up to FL400 with the odd one at 420.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/777family/pf/pf_facts.page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

the_monkey wrote: »
    Perhaps ... I was talking to my uncle the other night - he is an avionics expert and his theory is :

Mechanical failure of some sort - causes plane to depressurize.
    Some reason O2 supply is affected via masks too.
    But pilots/others on plane try to recover the situation - hence plane turning around ... eventually people lose consciousness and plane flies on untill it runs out of fuel.

One thing it doesn't explain is the transponder being switched of - but this could be a side effect of this mechanical failure

People love a sensationalist story l

That's sensationalist enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's sensationalist enough for me!

It's more likely to be the truth though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

the_monkey wrote: »
    It's more likely to be the truth though.

Yep..maybe it is what happened.
    But it has huge flaws as a theory too.
    Sensible and aware enough to make a turn(which takes time) but nobody makes a distress call? Not buying it. Doesn't tally with human nature imo.

You desperately need help, you look for it from anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I'm beginning to adopt the theory that the pilot/captain lost his marbles and went on one last simulator 'jolly' after suffering a nervous breakdown at the loss of his marriage. I am thinking that all those 777 simulator hours were used to fly himself and his real plane into oblivion into the middle of nowhere. Totally oblivious to his crew and passengers as innocent victims due to his mind flipping . . . . .

Just a theory^ and the poor chap is more than likely totally innocent, but this theory has been doing the rounds, and (at this moment) it sounds plausible I think?

If this true and his intention was to hide the plane to gain infamy in death
    Then why fly parallel to Australia
    Why not after leaving Indonesia turn South west and go even deeper into ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Very quiet in here now. Has it all died down after they said it was gone and everybody died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

New info now. Flight was travelling much faster than thought. Search area moved 1000km north east. Wouldn't have had enough fuel to have gone so far south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

probably someones dumped a few of the parts there that they gathered up when they blew it out of the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Neeson wrote: »
    Very quiet in here now. Has it all died down after they said it was gone and everybody died?

It is still one of the first things I think of when I wake up in the mornings. I always need to check if there are any updates. Its ridiculous but it has really sucked me in, the whole story.

And I realise that we are extremely unlikely ever to find out what happened. It will be a miracle if the black box is found. They can't even find any wreckage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I think we're all still watching this thread and updates. There's nothing more to be said really, just wait.
    None of the theories have been refuted, everything's still pretty much on the cards until the plane is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

new radar suggests that the plane went down further north then they expected.

so they have to start all over again, as they discover the plane is not actually where they thought it was, what a waste of time, resources and unnecessary suffering for the family.

this is simply disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Tragic, Yes, but I don't think its a disgrace, I think it offers a lot of hope for humanity that they are still looking.

What would have happened 60 years ago ?

Planes and ships disappeared far more regularly then.

I think that people have become far too demanding since the development of the www. Information about Britney Spear's ar$ehole can get around the world in 30 seconds and go viral in 30 minutes, so everyone seems to expect that the same facility exists to establish and disperse information from the middle of nowhere. And where that plane has been projected to go is fairly close to the middle.

Perth is supposedly the most remote city in the world, and this plane is 2500km from that, so the only way it could be further from help is one of the poles, or in orbit.

Its tragic for the families and friends of those on board, but aside from Malaysian Airlines, and the Malaysian government trying to save face and avoid speculation, I don't think anyone could have done much more.

Until the FDR's are recovered, if ever, I think the thread should be parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Tragic, Yes, but I don't think its a disgrace, I think it offers a lot of hope for humanity that they are still looking.

What would have happened 60 years ago ?

Planes and ships disappeared far more regularly then.

I think that people have become far too demanding since the development of the www. Information about Britney Spear's ar$ehole can get around the world in 30 seconds and go viral in 30 minutes, so everyone seems to expect that the same facility exists to establish and disperse information from the middle of nowhere. And where that plane has been projected to go is fairly close to the middle.

Perth is supposedly the most remote city in the world, and this plane is 2500km from that, so the only way it could be further from help is one of the poles, or in orbit.

Its tragic for the families and friends of those on board, but aside from Malaysian Airlines, and the Malaysian government trying to save face and avoid speculation, I don't think anyone could have done much more.
    Until the FDR's are recovered, if ever, I think the thread should be parked up.

Well said, except the aviation industry could have done more. They could have kept up to date with tracking technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Well said, except the aviation industry could have done more. They could have kept up to date with tracking technology.

Wait for the addicdent report and then you will know what technology the aircraft had and what was being sent back, to whom and when. There might even be leaks in the future of what information other countries held as well. Don't believe everything you read, especially when certain nation states are trying to save face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

new radar suggests that the plane went down further north then they expected.

so they have to start all over again, as they discover the plane is not actually where they thought it was, what a waste of time, resources and unnecessary suffering for the family.

I don't think it was deliberate per se, and I'm pretty sure that they update as they get new information. If we had all this on day one...but we didn't.

I'm not inclined to say it is simply disgraceful. I just think it's tragic for all concerned.

The plane definitely appears to be thousands of kilometres from where it reasonably should have been. To be able to even figure this much out is a serious achievement but which will also certainly have input into how we avoid similar occurrences in the future.

So no, I don't go with the word "disgraceful".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mellor wrote: »
    What is exactly?

the fact that 3 weeks into an investigation, they still have no idea where the plane is.

to be saying now that the plane flew perhaps faster than they though and that it is not where they are searching is a joke.

why release satellite images every day when they've no idea what they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

the fact that 3 weeks into an investigation, they still have no idea where the plane is.

to be saying now that the plane flew perhaps faster than they though and that it is not where they are searching is a joke.

why release satellite images every day when they've no idea what they are?

They are trying to be transparent. They have promised the relatives to keep them abreast insofar as they possibly can. It just seems to be a complete and utter nightmare. Like, if I set off in a Ford Fiesta from Athlone, heading for Donegal. I don't arrive in Donegal. I'm last seen in Gort, heading south. How do you figure out where I am now?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

The plane might have been shot down if the Koreans thought it was spying on them or something.
    The pilot started up a cult and took them all away somewhere. Possibly.
    They need to check the background of that pilot.
    What happens when a plane crashes into a cloud?
    What would happen if it flew into smog? There would be lots of smog over in them places with the high populations. It could cause some damage to the engines maybe.
    It could be possible that the plane turned toward the sun and then that blinded the pilots or something or broke the glass on the plane and then the people died?

Apologies for the off topic post but just want to say it irritates me greatly that the gobsh1te quoted above is still allowed to troll this thread and have a joke at the expense of 239 people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

'BREAKING NEWS'

New Zealand coastal aircraft has found what's thought to be the debris field? questionmark.

This will now be confirmed tomorrow (Saturday) when a ship arrives at the scene to confirm (or not) if its MH370 wreckage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

New Zealand coastal aircraft has found what's thought to be the debris field? questionmark.

So what were the hundreds of objects in the other debris field? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would like to know this aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I presume this is the new search area, calculated by an overview of the speed that MH370 might have been travelling at. Watching CNN this morning and the expert remarked that this might be the impact point? and that new debris may have risen to the surface, but he said this was purely specualtion and that when the ship arrives tomorrow (Saturday) we will know its connected to the missing plane or not.

Until they identify some wreckage from the plane its all speculation, theories and educated guesswork, roll on tomorrow and the arrival of a ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Apologies for the off topic post but just want to say it irritates me greatly that the gobsh1te quoted above is still allowed to troll this thread and have a joke at the expense of 239 people's lives.

Yet you go through the thread and repost them? , That poster is just looking for a reaction. best off just to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I believe they were spotted from satellite data. The problem with the satellite imagery is they are not real-time images, by the time the images are taken and analysed, anything contained in them will have drifted to another location. So they have to make estimates about where the items of interest are, and then dispatch aircraft to carry out a visual search.

Having found a possible debris field, the next challenge is to get surface craft to the area to actually retrieve the items and identify what they are.

Only once all that is done can they confirm if it's debris from the plane, or something else. If it is debris, then the next challenge is to estimate where it drifted from. I don't envy their job.

Advertisement