Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

wolfeye wrote: »
    Here is an article from may 2013 saying that boeing 777-200 and 300
    jetliners need to be fixed to prevent the possibility of a crash from an in-flight entertainment system fire.

In a proposed order to be published in the Federal Register Friday, the FAA says wiring systems in about 59 U.S.-registered 777-200 and 777-300 planes must be modified.
    The proposed order requires installing wires and changing electricity load-management-systems panels to ensure pilots are able to use a switch in the cockpit to turn off power to the entertainment systems if a fire breaks out.
    Without such capability, the FAA says, pilots might not be able "to control smoke or flames in the airplane flight deck or passenger cabin" and could lose control of the plane.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/05/09/boeing-777-fires/2147173/

Maybe the switch was not installed in the malaysian plane?
    Then there was a fire caused by the entertainment system.
    So the pilot turned off all the electrical systems to try and isolate the cause of smoke and fire and in doing so turned off the transponders and acars?.
    Possibly once the systems were turned off the pilot could not get them up and running again due to fire damaging electrical wires?.

I'm far from an expert but I dont think a plane would fly for 6hrs or more with a fire on board

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I'm no expert either but the fire could just burn itself out after a certain period and /or be just be smouldering away causing fumes and smoke to render crew and passengers unconcious.
    Maybe the planes change in directions was the pilot going in and out of unconsciousness.
    Who knows?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

wolfeye wrote: »
    I'm no expert either but the fire could just burn itself out after a certain period and /or be just be smouldering away causing fumes and smoke to render crew and passengers unconcious.
    Maybe the planes change in directions was the pilot going in and out of unconsciousness.
    Who knows?.

You'd never know, it really is just a mystery at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seems plausible that it could have been a botched hijacking. Obviously we can't rule out Pilot suicide but the Captain had a flawless record and had been flying with them for 30 odd years.

So one day he turns up to work and decides to crash a jet? Sorry, not buying that theory without some solid evidence.

Being shot down + subsequent cover up is not beyond the realms of possibility I suppose and I do think there was a lot more to the story than they were disclosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Savman wrote: »
    Being shot down + subsequent cover up is not beyond the realms of possibility. ..

Whilst not beyond the realms of possibility, you would have to look at the most likely areas that would have any reason for doing so. This would have left a significant debris field that should have been located before now.
    A thought crossed my mind on the suicide theory.
    What of it was the case, and the pilot tried to put the plane down on the water in one piece, then just let it sink. Very little or no debris left behind and no idea where to look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

According to knowledgeable people on here there is hardly any chance of achieving that with a wide bodied aircraft on the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Can't help thinking about those initial Chinese satellite pics from the south China sea.

What were they?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

LordSutch wrote: »
    Can't help thinking about those initial Chinese satellite pics from the south China sea.

What were they?
    The oceans are full of detritus and rubbish from 1000's of ships that travel through them every day. South China Seas being one of the busiest sea areas on the planet.

Compare that with the current search area.....only 1 ship anywhere near it. Its a desolate deserted piece of the planet......not even on way to anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Seems plausible that no one has a clue about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Oh sweet jaysus - this is what the public are up against with the twats from CNN, Fox, Sky etc.

Mind you it's probably the only accuarate thing that they ever reported :cool:

fuxoxf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Lol! I'm a bit thick, but even that sounds eh....... obvious..... to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seal57

48 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

seal57 wrote: »
    48 hrs

Context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

48 hrs

Is it a film?

A book?

48 hrs

;)http://youtu.be/5JSCbEKsguQ

I'm wondering about the initial satellite images too. I've spent a good bit of time on Tomnod, and I came across one of these maps they show quick shots of on CNN etc... a map that was full of ... some things. If it was rubbish, it was pretty localized. In other maps from remote areas, you come across a few things you think might be debris here and there, but there were one or two maps that had more obvious anomalies.

edit : I think the images I'm talking about were not the South China sea actually, I think it was South of the Maldives, or even in the initial remote search area West of Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Apologies for the off topic post but just want to say it irritates me greatly that the gobsh1te quoted above is still allowed to troll this thread and have a joke at the expense of 239 people's lives.

Cool. You're some gobsh1te. If you are allowed to call me one I'll call you one too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 warren44

;)http://youtu.be/5JSCbEKsguQ

I'm wondering about the initial satellite images too. I've spent a good bit of time on Tomnod, and I came across one of these maps they show quick shots of on CNN etc... a map that was full of ... some things. If it was rubbish, it was pretty localized. In other maps from remote areas, you come across a few things you think might be debris here and there, but there were one or two maps that had more obvious anomalies.

edit : I think the images I'm talking about were not the South China sea actually, I think it was South of the Maldives, or even in the initial remote search area West of Australia.

The oceans are polluted and full of garbage. There is still trash floating around out there from the last tsunami. Those images could have been anything. The last image turned out to be a whale. They arent going to find anything because the plane isnt in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Neeson wrote: »
    Cool. You're some gobsh1te. If you are allowed to call me one I'll call you one too! :pac:

You can call him a gobsh1te but doesn't mean it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

irishmover wrote: »
    You can call him a gobsh1te but doesn't mean it's true.

This is true.

But anyway I people may think I don't care. I do care. I hope they are found safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Why is it taking so long to get to these big debris fields reported over the last few days? We had a report about over a hundred objects then another with over three hundred and then nothing more was said about that. It seems some of the objects are just typical ocean rubbish and as of now not one definite item I'm the plane has been recovered.

I'm starting to think that the plane didn't even go down in the ocean or if it did every thing went down in one solid piece and nothing floated would this be possible? With all the ships and planes in this new area which takes less time to travel to they should have reached the debris fields by now and calculated it's possible location it's bizzare that they keep drawing a blank day after day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anymore personal abuse or name calling and this thread is getting locked. Please heed the Mod note in the 1st post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

lord lucan wrote: »
    Anymore personal abuse or name calling and this thread is getting locked. Please heed the Mod note in the 1st post.

Just lock it anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

lord lucan wrote: »

Why lock the thread over a few trolls? Just ban them and let the rest of us get on with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Why is it taking so long to get to these big debris fields reported over the last few days?............... It seems some of the objects are just typical ocean rubbish and as of now not one definite item I'm the plane has been recovered.

............ With all the ships and planes in this new area .............it's bizzare that they keep drawing a blank day after day...
    Only 2 ships in the area.....approx a dozen others enroute. Objects spotted from fast moving aircraft are difficult to locate from a vessel on rough seas. It all comes down to guys with binocs manning the gunwhales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Just lock it anyway
    Why lock the thread over a few trolls? Just ban them and let the rest of us get on with it.

As per boards policy co not question a mod decision on thread, if you have a problem with the decision pm the mod in question.

According to CNN, at least 4 "large" objects spotted today (more than 6ft).

It is pretty unsettling how the Chinese victims' families seem mostly convinced this is a cover up and their loved ones are being held somewhere. I know it might just be an expression of deep denial, and anger is raging but... do they have a perspective we don't ? In their context, as Chinese citizens, does the hijacking/plane snapping theory make a lot more sense, especially in light of recent terrorist attacks ?
    Nobody knows much, but they know more than we do. I can't help but wonder are they delusional, or ...

Video on CNN right now about the Chinese families, with their banners. :confused:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/03/30/lklv-hancocks-families-arrive-in-malaysia.cnn.html

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

One thing I'd agree with that was said in that piece was that they were wrong to announce on March 24th that the plane had definitely crashed in the southern Indian Ocean. They could have said the satellite data suggested the plane went in that direction but until evidence is found it couldn't be confirmed.

Just makes it so much harder for the families. I can see why they are getting mighty pissed off, I would too. Its a shambles from the Malaysians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

sully2010 wrote: »
    One thing I'd agree with that was said in that piece was that they were wrong to announce on March 24th that the plane had definitely crashed in the southern Indian Ocean. They could have said the satellite data suggested the plane went in that direction but until evidence is found it couldn't be confirmed.

Just makes it so much harder for the families. I can see why they are getting mighty pissed off, I would too. Its a shambles from the Malaysians.

I'm not 100% sure but did they not say they had to accept that all the evidence was pointing to a crash in the Indian Ocean i.e. they didn't say it had definitely crashed

Yes, it's nearly nonsensical to officially announce and declare a crash on what are just probabilities and statistics really.

• Advertisement

The text of the Prime Minister's statement is here
    https://ph.news.yahoo.com/malaysia-prime-minister-najib-razak-s-press-statement-on-mh370-142900120.html

It's pretty affirmative :
    Based on their new analysis, Inmarsat and the AAIB have concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor, and that its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth.

This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sites. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean.

The text sent to families said :
    “Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets that we have to assume beyond any reasonable doubt that MH370 has been lost and that none of those on board survived.”

"assume beyond reasonable doubt" ... a conflicting phrase to be using.

Advertisement