Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Back to ask a few qxs

At some point early on it was "suggested" that the plane descended to 12000 ft or somesuch.
    Is it possible for crew to access cargo hold?
    At that height, is it possible to open any doors, eg in an attempt to jettison cargo say if there was burning items in there?
    Would it be possible to parachute with the remotest chance from a 777 at this height?
    Do they carry any parachutes on board?

Don't think these questions have been posed on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

The text of the Prime Minister's statement is here
    https://ph.news.yahoo.com/malaysia-prime-minister-najib-razak-s-press-statement-on-mh370-142900120.html

It's pretty affirmative :

The text sent to families said :

"assume beyond reasonable doubt" ... a conflicting phrase to be using.
    That to me is a presumption rather than a statement.I think it would be better if they just said that they really are as perplexed as everyone else,no point in trying to fob people off with vague statements especially the relatives.It really is an unprecendented incident and I think that people would accept an honest statement that while the above may be what occurred the reality is that there is no definite /concrete evidence to confirm it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

There's something so wrong with this whole thing.Not saying it's a cover up or anything but I don't think the plane simply just crashed into the ocean,I don't know how they're so sure it crashed here,they're moving search areas every few days.They might as well be just closing their eyes and pointing at a map of the Indian Ocean.

Then again they know more than us I could be talking out my other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

Meglamonia wrote: »
    There's something so wrong with this whole thing.Not saying it's a cover up or anything but I don't think the plane simply just crashed into the ocean,I don't know how they're so sure it crashed here,they're moving search areas every few days.They might as well be just closing their eyes and pointing at a map of the Indian Ocean.

Then again they know more than us I could be talking out my other end.

I agree , i think they are just too embarrassed to tell the world that they have no idea what happened.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The nature of this whole saga gives the impression that noone is actually in charge of whats going on. Information is conflicting, the search is haphazard, spokespeople vary. No wonder the relatives are furious. Time is of the essence and it seems it is being spent chasing false leads, every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

wil wrote: »
    Back to ask a few qxs

At some point early on it was "suggested" that the plane descended to 12000 ft or somesuch.
    Is it possible for crew to access cargo hold?
    At that height, is it possible to open any doors, eg in an attempt to jettison cargo say if there was burning items in there?
    Would it be possible to parachute with the remotest chance from a 777 at this height?

Reminds me of the D.B.Cooper story. He jumped from a 727 at 10000ft, but there's nothing to prove it was a successful jump. See wiki.

From my understanding the 12 000 ft dip was over land, or within sight of, so if any burning cargo was dumped it surely would have been spotted ? No idea if it's possible in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Reminds me of the D.B.Cooper story. He jumped from a 727 at 10000ft, but there's nothing to prove it was a successful jump. See wiki.

From my understanding the 12 000 ft dip was over land, or within sight of, so if any burning cargo was dumped it surely would have been spotted ? No idea if it's possible in the first place.

727 has a "back door" which DB supposedly jumped from. As far as I know it would be almost impossible to do from a 777

300948.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Back to ask a few qxs

-Is it possible for crew to access cargo hold?
    -At that height, is it possible to open any doors, eg in an attempt to jettison cargo say if there was burning items in there?
    -Would it be possible to parachute with the remotest chance from a 777 at this height?
    -Do they carry any parachutes on board?

-No.
    -No.
    -No.
    -No.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If you jump out the door into 900 km/h winds and the exhaust from a jet engine, you're gonna have a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yael

I've been following the story of the missing MH370 flight closely.
    I came up with a theory, a lay person theory, mostly suitable for a fictional script or story. It's based mainly on the issue of the cargo. The plane was reported to have been carrying lithium batteries which need to be handled cautiously – this was discussed in the news.
    I've taken this issue far - to come up with imaginative theory. It's sinister, so that's why I emphasize it's meant as a fictional scenario.
    I posted it in my blog - To sum up, the plane was reported to have been carrying lithium batteries which need to be handled cautiously . Let’s say something went wrong with this cargo or maybe with some other dangerous and sensitive cargo that was on board. Maybe due to some accident on board. This may have made the plane and what it was carrying hazardous to the environment while landing.
    Therefore, whoever was in-charge within the authorities may have initially thought of getting the plane to land on a remote area. Later on, for some reason, this may turn out to be not possible. Another remaining option is to get the plane to the ocean and as far away as possible.
    This of course is completely meant as a fictional scenario that could be implemented in a script.

As for the real event, I also don't find the discussions on the pilots convincing. And it does seem that there is crucial information kept from the public. I do think that since there is so much effort put on the search in the ocean in the past week, that there is enough data to support the search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just thinking back to the story of the Andes plane crash in 1972.
    Have they ruled out the absolute possibility that it is on land, crashed or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 warren44

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Just thinking back to the story of the Andes plane crash in 1972.
    Have they ruled out the absolute possibility that it is on land, crashed or otherwise.

They are making sure to do everything they can to steer the public away from thinking it may be on land for reasons unknown.

The Australian Maritime Safety Administration demanded a copy of the cargo manifest which the Malayasian government refused to produced.

There was something important on that plane other than regular run of the mill lithium batteries that was being transported. If I had to guess, they have something on the plane military related that someone knew about, hijacked the plane, landed it and stole the contents. As for the passengers they could be used as hostages or could be dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How come they keep spotting wreckage, then when they return the next day nobody can find anything? Ten ships, ten planes, satellite pictures, aerial shots, visual contact with large debris fields > yet nothing to show for it after three weeks :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

warren44 wrote: »
    They are making sure to do everything they can to steer the public away from thinking it may be on land for reasons unknown.

The Australian Maritime Safety Administration demanded a copy of the cargo manifest which the Malayasian government refused to produced.....
    It was produced 2 days later. (Which is still pretty shoddy work) They didn't refuse....they just didn't immediately comply with the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 warren44

Tenger wrote: »
    It was produced 2 days later. (Which is still pretty shoddy work) They didn't refuse....they just didn't immediately comply with the request.

Yes they did refuse. No they never released the full cargo manifest till this day.

All they did was disclose the shipment that belonged to Motorola which was walkie talkies and lithium batteries packaged seperatly for the walkie talkes and 4 tons of mangosteen fruits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes they did refuse. No they never released the full cargo manifest till this day.

All they did was disclose the shipment that belonged to Motorola which was walkie talkies and lithium batteries packaged seperatly for the walkie talkes and 4 tons of mangosteen fruits.

Have you a source for the assertion that they haven't produced the full manifest?

@LordSutch
    I have seen them pull some stuff out of the sea but rule it out as debris from the plane.
    I don't know if you have ever been involved in a sea search, but off the Irish coast it is incredibly tough and down in that ocean I would imagine, ten times tougher.
    Not defending them, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

The Australian Maritime Safety Administration demanded a copy of the cargo manifest which the Malayasian government refused to produced.

There was something important on that plane other than regular run of the mill lithium batteries that was being transported. If I had to guess, they have something on the plane military related that someone knew about, hijacked the plane, landed it and stole the contents. As for the passengers they could be used as hostages or could be dead

The Malaysian government were totally incompetent and are out of their depth with a crisis such as this - especially in the first few days. Their handling of the entire incident has been deplorable and this, I would guess, could be a more valid reason for them not supplying the manifesto rather than intentionally holding back.

There are too many people giving too much credit to the various ruling authorities around the world. Most of them are unable to keep a secret let alone plan a mega cover up/deep dark and very black operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The statements from the Transport Minister are getting silly now, absolutely nothing to add, no progress, no update, no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

C4 interviewed the wife of one of the passengers on Friday night. It was cringeworthy. The lady was an american and you could see she was justifiably angry but they should have cut the interview when she started into talk about how she believed that her husband was still alive and that Malaysia was orchestrating a cover up.

I'm of the opinion myself that this is a genuine accident with no sinister motives. It's pretty hard to find something the size of a 777 in that vast area so I think we can be sure it'll take a long time to find, especially as they don't really have a definitive last position for the aircraft.

I feel sorry for the families who are no doubt distraught as time ticks by and there's laregely just one more week left on the CVR locator before it falls silent. Hopefully this week will provide a breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

She's not too far off from the Chinese families in that. Is it the same youngish lady that was on CNN too ? Who was supposed to move to KL with partner on board ? It was cringeworthy too, she was talking fine until news person went into "what goes on in your head when you're all alone on your own at night" ? It really was that bad.
    Don't think families should be censored though, they#re perfectly entitled to voice their beliefs in the absence of other clues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Don't think families should be censored though, they#re perfectly entitled to voice their beliefs in the absence of other clues.

^ this.
    I think it would further compound things for them...let them talk it out. It's no worse than what you hear on here...and there is always the slim possibility they might be right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This whole thing stinks, big cover up going on, plane never crashed in the Indian ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This whole thing stinks, big cover up going on, plane never crashed in the Indian ocean.

You say it with such authority. Please share your knowledge proving it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

If you jump out the door into 900 km/h winds and the exhaust from a jet engine, you're gonna have a bad time.
    If you really think about it, this is an almost entirely redundant statement.
    pfurey101 wrote: »
    The Malaysian government were totally incompetent and are out of their depth with a crisis such as this - especially in the first few days. Their handling of the entire incident has been deplorable and this, I would guess, could be a more valid reason for them not supplying the manifesto rather than intentionally holding back.

There are too many people giving too much credit to the various ruling authorities around the world. Most of them are unable to keep a secret let alone plan a mega cover up/deep dark and very black operation.

Yes they have a huge amount of bureaucracy etc, so this is very likely, but some are not unknown for association with deep dark secrets of an international scale.

Easily observable incompetence can provide ready scapegoats and make an excellent cover for nefarious activities.
    Bland statements, I know, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Here is an interesting piece of writing - definitely worth reading - if even to dismiss it.

http://networkedblogs.com/VpYB6

It is a little bit along the lines I have been thinking from the start. The 15 questions posed are ones I'd like to hear some answers to also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yael

pfurey101 wrote: »

I too think that usually the most simple and probable theory will explain the situation. That is why when I posted my theory - I emphasized that it is aimed to be completely fictional. I mean this kind of event really can stir the imagination to all kind of theories. Because there are family members of the passengers and for them this is a painful reality - there need to be restraint and cautiousness in the speculations. I think it’s right to try not to add to the families confusion.
    Still, the way the Malaysian authorities handled the issue and the information they gave from the start raise questions that seem to be beyond just inexperience with such an event or with dealing with the media.

At first it looked partly as if they were stalling . Later,they gave all kind of explanations or announcements. The impression is that this is almost done to find ways to ease the pressure from the public and the family. Even the dramatic announcement that the plane have crushed seemed confusing. I presume they may have - and probably do have - more evidence for that, that they don't disclose. Along the way they talked about hijack, and then about the pilot - first the missing files in the simulator - then the mystery phone call, then mystery woman. They said they thought it was a suicide act - though they still don't have proof for that. It's like they are trying to use all kind of explanations that are not yet proven, mainly to reduce the amount of questions on the event.
    I also think it’s interesting that there aren’t any explanations or input from other countries especially the US.
    The theory for script I posted, which focuses on the cargo, takes the cargo issue far. After coming up with the theory, I made an online search to learn more about the lithium batteries. Interestingly I found information about a previous incident where a Malaysian passengers plane was ruined -after landing, because of dangerous cargo. This happened on 2000. As I understand this didn't happen because of the Malaysian airlines doing. The cargo was falsely declared as not dangerous.

Overall it could be that the authorities don’t disclose important information and that maybe if they did – it will turn out to be much more simple and reasonable then all the speculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Story changing again, last words said were:

"Good night Malaysian three seven zero" - and not "all right, good night" as reported.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26825184

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

LordSutch wrote: »
    How come they keep spotting wreckage, then when they return the next day nobody can find anything? Ten ships, ten planes, satellite pictures, aerial shots, visual contact with large debris fields > yet nothing to show for it after three weeks :cool:

I think people are underestimating the difficulty in searching a featureless area of water 3 times the size of Ireland located halfway between Ireland and Newfoundland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If you really think about it, this is an almost entirely redundant statement.

And yet:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

sully2010 wrote: »
    Story changing again, last words said were:

"Good night Malaysian three seven zero" - and not "all right, good night" as reported.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26825184

Is this actually true?If It was I presume It would be on sky??

Advertisement