Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

I know there has been a lot of confusing information being given out but I find this strange, that they going to be searching Malaysia's west coast. Surely somebody would have noticed a 777 flying back in that direction. I know anything is possible and they must look everywhere but it's a long way from the last know location (if that is the true last known position)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26502843

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

looks kosher, may not lead to anything though. I think that when they do find the wreckage, there'll be no doubt that its the wreckage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Kavs8 wrote: »
    South China Morning Post has announced debris field has possibly been located by the Chinese - Picture Below

This information is wrong, Interpol, FBI, NTSB have listed four passengers as being investigated.

I think its obvious that is it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

RTE reporting that they now think the flight may have turned back.

But it didn't because it didn't land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Kavs8 wrote: »
    South China Morning Post has announced debris field has possibly been located by the Chinese - Picture Below

This information is wrong, Interpol, FBI, NTSB have listed four passengers as being investigated.

That photo has been ruled out as greenhouse farms in southwest Vietnam.

Latest update is that there is no update.

https://twitter.com/MAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Pretty amazing that they have lost contact and are clueless to its whereabouts after nearly 36 hours after the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pretty amazing that they have lost contact and are clueless to its whereabouts after nearly 36 hours after the flight.

It's not that amazing. Ocean big, plane small. It might not take as long as the AF447 search operation, but it will take days nonetheless.

AF447 wasn't found for almost 4 days and given the fact that the South China Sea/Gulf of Thailand is an enormous body of water it is not that unusual. People are assuming it is easy to find something at sea, in open water several 100km from any large land mass when in fact it is not.

They have searched the last known place and nothing was found so now they have to widen the radius, it is a huge task.

Edit: It was 6 days before they found the first bodies from AF447, bodies were found before any debris was identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dunno, you'd think a fairly simple GPS locator beacon would be easy to install. I am incredulous its taking so long also.

Compared to the Air France crash the site area is much smaller and given what we have been told the plane was not overly far from any land mass.
    The Mirror feed is reporting that the two European passports were used to book tickets at the same time. One was flying onto Copenhagen via Amsterdam while the other booked a different route.
    Quite suspicious.
    "The two tickets, booked through China Southern Airlines, were both due to start in Kuala Lumpur, fly to Beijing, and then onward to Amsterdam.

The Italian passport's ticket continues to Copenhagen, the Austrian's to Frankfurt.

Authorities say they are investigating the identities of some of those on board who appear to have issues with their passports.

..........."

• Advertisement

Compared to the Air France crash the site area is much smaller and given what we have been told the plane was not overly far from any land mass.
    The Mirror feed is reporting that the two European passports were used booked tickects at the same time. One was flying onto Copenhagen via Amsterdam while the other booked a different route.
    Quite suspicious.

http://img1.cache.netease.com/cnews/2014/3/9/20140309124209342ee_550.png

Here is the ticket info, they were both going to AMS after PEK. The confusing thing is that they say one goes to CPH and the other to FRA but no flight info is inserted. Tickets were bought in Pattaya, a haven from criminal activity and both were travelling together. Could be European criminals just as much as illegal immigrants actually.

Taken from another forum.

Here is the ticket info, they were both going to AMS after PEK. The confusing thing is that they say one goes to CPH and the other to FRA but no flight info is inserted. Tickets were bought in Pattaya, a haven from criminal activity and both were travelling together. Could be European criminals just as much as illegal immigrants actually.

Edit: that flight info you put up seems wrong. The Malaysian flight number was MH 370, not the one listed on that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Assuming that's accurate, it does include the flight numbers for the intra European flights out of AMS. There are three flight numbers on each ticket.

Booking one is KUL - PEK on CZ748. PEK to AMS on CZ767 and AMS to CPH on CZ7737.

Booking two is as above except AMS-FRA is CZ7689.

Flight numbers and routing can be checked using Google.

Evidently there are codeshares in place on those routes. Flight numbers are given as CZ and that's China Southern Airlines, Operating airlines seem to be the second code - MH in the first case, KL in the other cases. Both China Southern and KLM are in the same airline alliance for the record.

Not sure this brings a huge amount. Again, I'd really prefer to find some evidence of the plane. Even if they don't find the bulk of the plane, really, some debris should be starting to turn up soon.

Sorry here is the one I should have posted, also taken from the same forum. They had the same flight to AMS (KL898) but then it gets confusing after that. I still think this has nothing to do with the disappearance though.

From the Mirror..........

"Questions are now being raised about a Chinese passenger who was on the flight.

Chinese authorities say the passport number of missing passenger Zhao Qiwei - in fact, matches the passport of a man whose surname is Yu.

He is said to be alive and well in the Fujian Province.

According to Yu, he has never lost his passport, nor has he ever used it since it was issued in 2007.
    ............."

There seems to be huge irregularities over passports. However, someone posted earlier saying a previous flight incident had upto 10 irregular passport issues.

I still can't figure how the locator transmitter receiver (LTR) is not being picked up by planes flying overhead. The flight path area is not huge given that the plane was in the air for max 1 hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

In these countries in Asia, passport fraud is common. I'd read absolutely nothing into it at all.

It is interesting that the authorities are reporting that the plane turned back according to their examination of the radar.
    The question arises then why did the crew not communicate? Why would they not issue a mayday if something serious had happened.
    The radio call between the two flights 10 minutes after the flight was last seen on radar seems to be the last contact from the plane. However, the other plane reported mumbled sound. There was no clear contact or communication made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

So the plane disappears from radar, 10 minutes later another pilot contacts the plane and does hear something back but it's all mumbled? This gets more confusing all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

However, the other plane reported mumbled sound. There was no clear contact or communication made.

Complete speculation by me based on no real facts but could a depressurization and hypoxia explain that, for example what happened with the Helios 522 flight?

• Advertisement

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Complete speculation by me based on no real facts but could a depressurization and hypoxia explain that looks with the Helios flight?

I'm amazed nobody has thought of this before! You never know

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Complete speculation by me based on no real facts but could a depressurization and hypoxia explain that, for example what happened with the Helios 522 flight?

That would be the best outcome (still dreadful i know) for the people on board compared to a explosion Etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

If this plane was involved in an incident a few years back, this wud feature high up my list in terms of possir causes....for instance repair work may have been carried out, panel replaced and said panel cud have come loose last night causing a massive explosion.

Its happened many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Forgive my novice question here but would the plane not have being flying on autopilot at that stage and just continued along it's flight path rather than fall into the sea?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

rightyabe wrote: »
    That would be the best outcome (still dreadful i know) for the people on board compared to a explosion Etc..

Loss of air (slow and painful death) would be better than an explosion (instant death)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

h3000 wrote: »
    Forgive my novice question here but would the plane not have being flying on autopilot at that stage and just continued along it's flight path rather than fall into the sea?

That's correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

h3000 wrote: »

I'm by no means an expert just have an interest so I am sure pilots will be around to correct me shortly, but I would guess normally yes that would be the case. However, if hypoxia took over and a error message appeared or warning its (in my mind) conceivable that they would take manual control of the aircraft. Although it probably wouldn't explain the very sudden drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Total novice here also...If it was an explosion wouldnt it have been impossible for the other plane to contact it 10 mins after it went off radar as it would been in the sea almost instantly?

I think that could fit much of the evidence to date. Radio contact was made by that other flight but no clear communication was made. However, for that call to go through would there have to have been someone conscious in the cockpit.

I just read about the Helios flight on the net. That flight continued on auto-pilot for 2/3 hours before running out of fuel and crashing. This flight was lost from radar.

It seems likely now that the plane turned and took a different route of which the authorities have no idea. This could explain the difficulty with finding the plane. However, it didn't seem to get very far. The LTR may not be picked up as the plane has sank and they don't know what area thus the difficulty in picking up a signal from the LTR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

No expert either, but could a rogue pilot have been involved here?

Advertisement