Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

lazza14 wrote: »
    With the lack of debris spotted - is it possible for a plane to crash and remain intact (relatively) and just sink ? if it skims along the surface maybe ?

I would imagine the sea would be too rough to perform a landing as was seen on the Hudson river. I've also thought of this and given it some thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Calina wrote: »

Secondly - and this seems to be something people have trouble with - the search area is massive. Even the smaller search areas are massive. We do not know for certain where it crashed so not finding the debris field in my view is not sinister.

This. I think people are finding it hard to grasp the enormity of the search area. Im on my phone so cant really link pics but of you look at a map of the current search area...and the surrounding area...and the areas where debris could have travelled all in relation to the size of Australia next to it, then have a look at the map that shows Europe inside Australia. It give a good idea of the scale of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think who ever planted the black boxes in Indian Ocean is a little worried now, considering two have been found.
    They would have expected the first one they planted to have been dead by now, so planted a second. But first still had some power to emit a signal and now there's two.
    This cover up is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

I think who ever planted the black boxes in Indian Ocean is a little worried now, considering two have been found.
    They would have expected the first one they planted to have been dead by now, so planted a second. But first still had some power to emit a signal and now there's two.
    This CT is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They planted them in deepest part too. They made sure they would never be found, signal will die and with it the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are two on the plane - FDR and CVR, unlikely to be 600 km apart though. Also, neither have been confirmed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Sure if it's a cover up why bother planting the 2nd untill they are positive themselves the 1st pinger is dead ???

Occam's razor ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I see a lot of reports about the 'last days' to find the black boxes before the pinger stops. Does the pinger really run out after 30 days or is it just that it must last at least 30 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I see a lot of reports about the 'last days' to find the black boxes before the pinger stops. Does the pinger really run out after 30 days or is it just that it must last at least 30 days?

It has to last "at least" 30 days. It'll continue broadcasting, the signal getting weaker and weaker, until the batteries run out.
    It could keep broadcasting for weeks yet.

Copied from avherald. com....

The manufacturer of the underwater locator beacons (ULB), that were mounted to the flight data and cockpit voice recorders of MH-370, specified their ULB would transmit ultrasonic pulsed sounds at 37.5kHz +/- 1kHz at 160dB (re 1µPa). After a period of 30 days the ULB would still transmit at that frequency at 157 dB. The manufacturer did not publish any data beyond 30 days (certification criteria). Other manufacturers specifying their ULBs also at 160dB initially and 157dB after 30 days state the ULB would still transmit after 90 days though at around 150dB, the frequency drift may exceed 1kHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's been an awful lot of wacky theories that we've let go here but I suggest if you want to continue this train of thought that you head to the conspiracy theories forum as further posts like this will be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think borntobywild is taking the mick out of the conspiracy theories no?

Looks like no further info for today

Just saw a tweet from the airline entreating people to treat latest info responsibly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

I heard on one of the radio stations news yesterday (Q102???) that a spokesman from the manufaturer of the pinger on MH370 stated that the pings picked up the other day are not the same as the pings transmitted from that particular pinger. Sorry don't have a link.

But the thing is, in this day and age nobody should really be in this situation. A rear deployable floating pinger should have been mandatory years ago and "Today's technology Today".

Even if we ignore the accusations of the former Malaysian Finance minister/Opposition leader who signed off on a Marconi radar system and says its the best in that part of the world:
    Malaysia's Anwar accuses government of MH370 cover-up

He described it as "not only unacceptable but not possible, not feasible" that it could travel across "at least four" Malaysian states undetected, adding: "I believe the government knows more than us".
    "We don't have the sophistication of the United States or Britain but still we have the capacity to protect our borders," he stressed.
    The radar system, based near the South China Sea, covers mainland Malaysia.
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...s/1058358.html

The
    “The SAFE Act” – Safe Aviation and Flight Enhancement Act
    H.R. 2632 (2003) and H.R. 3336 (2005)

Support for Proposed Flight Data Recorder (FDR) and Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) Upgrades, to provide dual recorders, front and rear, and a rear deployable recorder.

NADA/F has twice supported bi-partisan legislation to require updated dual recorders including a deployable rear recorder, from 2002 through 2006.

Although neither legislation passed, we hope legislation will be introduced again.

While the FAA and NTSB have approved some upgraded standards for recorders, the traveling public needs more.

Special thank you to Congressmen David Price (D-NC) and John Duncan, Jr. (R-TN) for their leadership and support, and to the other Members of Congress who signed on to the legislation.

Yet the industry in the U.S., and the FAA, have a long history of delaying much-needed upgrades in FDR/CVR equipment on passenger planes.

NADA/F firmly believes that any delay in the recovery of flight data hinders the accident investigation progress.

It is so important that today’s technology be used on today’s planes! For years the NTSB, NADA/F and others have pushed for better quality, more parameters, 25 hours of continuous sound, an independent power source, and more; but still the industry and the FAA delays these much needed upgrades.

On March 9, 1999,(almost 15 years to the day) the NTSB recommended dual combined FDR/CVR units, one in the front, and one in the rear, to provide data recovery back-up.

http://www.planesafe.org/?page_id=198

The SAFE ACT legislation failed to pass in 2003 (H.R. 2632) or in 2005 (H.R. 3336) or in 2007 (H.R. 4336.[33]
    Deep-water Black Box Retrieval

04/12/2009

http://www.hydro-international.com/issues/articles/id1130-Deepwater_Black_Box_Retrieval.html

Why the US and FAA refused to implement this 3 times post 9/11 is as much a mystery as this whole shambles.

Can anybody here explain this radar mistake/change by flightradar24.com?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMxm1Nv1QEY

Edit: Sorry on watching the video I've noticed it's 2 different registrations, (9M-MRO/9M-MRQ), but isn't it still a little iffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Can anyone find me a link to a corporate website of whoever makes this Marconi system? I've a particular reason to enquire and would like to find out who the holding company and directors are. I've tried googling, but I'm crap at googling!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sopretty wrote: »
    Can anyone find me a link to a corporate website of whoever makes this Marconi system? I've a particular reason to enquire and would like to find out who the holding company and directors are. I've tried googling, but I'm crap at googling!!!!

British Aerospace / BAE bought Marconi's defence arm from GEC in 1999. GEC then rather confusingly changed their name to Marconi and promptly went bust.

I don't think the Marconi name has been used on much recently, so I'd imagine it could be early 2000s kit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marconi_Electronic_Systems

You'll find links there.

stuar wrote: »
    I heard on one of the radio stations news yesterday (Q102???) that a spokesman from the manufaturer of the pinger on MH370 stated that the pings picked up the other day are not the same as the pings transmitted from that particular pinger. Sorry don't have a link.

That was probably referring to the Chinese pings which were detected from a rib, using a handheld device with two lads listening via in ear headphones... (I really think a lot of the stuff to come from Chinese search effort has been ridiculous btw but I guess they'll learn)

I have confidence that the Aussies know what they're listening for and the equipment seems advanced, and complicated. But it may yet be a false lead too. Would be massive luck tbh of they'd found it.

Excellent and compelling article about the ping detection aboard the Ocean Shield here.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304640104579487052848857172?mod=wsj_streaming_stream&mg=reno64-wsj

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The radar dates from 1994 and has 3D functionality (phased array). Whether it was operational is another matter. Try Plessey Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

fits wrote: »
    Excellent and compelling article about the ping detection aboard the Ocean Shield here.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304640104579487052848857172?mod=wsj_streaming_stream&mg=reno64-wsj

"dragged along at 2-to-3 nautical miles an hour through the ocean"

If this is it, it just shows how amazingly lucky they have been.

Basically walking pace to cover thousands of miles of ocean in narrow strips.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Many many times more extreme than that.
    Ireland ranks as 13th most democratic country in the world (ahead of Germany, UK, USA, Japan, Belgium, Spain, France, Italy etc)... Malaysia comes in at 64th..

We score joint 1st place for civil liberties btw! (Our score comes down a bit because of 'functioning of government' mostly).

(Economist Intelligence Unit).

I just think any country that can lock someone up on sodomy charges (dubious ones at that) is not worth visiting. I'd have a massive problem visiting / supporting a country that lacks gay rights for a start and the political issues around probably trumped up charges don't add to my impressions of the place. I hadn't realised that it was that conservative before I read up on it.

But, in general I just think one needs to read the political background before jumping to any conclusions about the pilots etc.
    The background politics is very complicated, dominated by a ruling elite, but most locals tend to stay out of it, complain about it yes.
    I'm sure Oscar Wilde would agree with your sentiment, but I'm assured plenty of gay scene in the larger cities.
    Anyway, best way to get to know a place it is go there.

My thought is, rather than feeding a CT, the somewhat unusually open nature of the pilots politics leave him more prone to being scapegoated if one is needed for whatever reason or gain

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Discovery doing a documentary this Thurdsay at 9. "MH370, the missing links" Should be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

They haven't heard a signal since Sunday, looks like the battery is dead - so frustrating , they'll never find it ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

This might have been answered before, if they do identify this as a ping from the black box, what is the outside range of where it could be? How much does it narrow down the search area? Or can they do that?
    I have one of those spy film thingys in my head where they narrow in on a central blip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 vellakare

SpaceTime

I just think any country that can lock someone up on sodomy charges (dubious ones at that) is not worth visiting. I'd have a massive problem visiting / supporting a country that lacks gay rights for a start and the political issues around probably trumped up charges don't add to my impressions of the place. I hadn't realised that it was that conservative before I read up on it.

But, in general I just think one needs to read the political background before jumping to any conclusions about the pilots etc.

1. I'll address these in turn. Anwar is not just someone, hes quite a divisive force for Malaysians. Not that I like the bunch of crooks in charge, I just don't trust ideologues and demagogues. Heck, noone believes hes gay now anyway. Though he was allegedly when he was younger when studied at MCKK Boarding School (*Malay College Kuala Kangsar). The gay charge is just something he'll be acquitted of later on. Its just to inconvenience the opposition who are really just a nice soft sounding version of the mob in charge, who will end up the same as Barisan in time.

2. There is a lot of speculation in Malaysia regarding MH370, but the most common theory now going around is that its a drone hijacking done by US military because of what was on board. Two loud sonic booms were heard at Marang, Terranganu state at 1.45am Malaysian time that night.

3. This coincides with the time of the 'turnaround'. It was then flown to 45,000 feet which incapacitated passengers and crew. It would take 15-20 minutes for them to suffocate.

4. At 6.15am a low flying plan was seen going over the Maldives. This incidentally coincides with the distance MH370 could fly from the South China Sea from its last known position.

5. It is not known where it went after that, but my money is on Diego Garcia.

6. Why? Defence equipment, documents were on board.
    Who? The Americans.
    Do the Malaysians know? No. But the Australians and British CERTAINLY DO.
    Where are the passengers and crew? Dead. The Americans choose to
    potentially save 2 Million or more lives by sacrificing 200.

7. For all Malaysia's supposed faults, noone really gives a damn whether you are gay or straight over there. Its painted out to be a lot stricter than it is, whereas everyone knows the flaws with the democratic system. The racial composition of society and the tendency of around 1/6th of the Muslims to have militantly racist and violent tendencies means that while ostensibly peaceful and stable, its a pressure cooker that needs to be controlled.

Everything you have in Ireland you can have in Malaysia at 1/2 the price, except alcohol which is expensive. The bars open until 3am and later. Anything, and I MEAN anything, legal and illegal, within reason, can be obtained in two phone calls and 30 minutes. Mind, certain items might be very expensive, alcohol, and certain drugs.

8. Was Malaysia incompetent? No. I've been through KLIA and other Malaysian Airports enough times to see their security procedures, and they don't take chances. They mght have flaws, but security is not one of them. Thats why it points toward it being a military inside job.

9. The final bit will be finding the black box. But it won't be real black box. It will be a fake, planted to fool officials, investigators and placate public opinion. When the news of this does come out, there will be no truth in the news and no news in the truth.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

"Mid flight drone hijacking"
    "Fake FDR/CVR planted"

This thread keeps getting more entertaining.

P.S. US military drones dont go supersonic.

Tenger wrote: »
    "Fake FDR/CVR planted"

P.S. US military drones dont go supersonic.

Entertaining? I am seriously so fed up with the US shot it down theories. Second only to the "they're concealing what they really know". Seems like everything wrong in the world is US fault at times. Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

fits wrote: »
    Entertaining? I am seriously so fed up with the US shot it down theories. Second only to the "they're concealing what they really know". Seems like everything wrong in the world is US fault at times. Yawn.

No word lately from the lads that think its parked up somewhere in a country ending with -stan or in Africa, the hostages alive in a hanger to be used to buy some time on the offchance its intercepted on the way to its intended target somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

They haven't heard a signal since Sunday, looks like the battery is dead - so frustrating , they'll never find it ..

If they found the flight route using the doppler effect/satelite ping, I don't see why the same maths cannot be used again to pinpoint the black box, they have hours of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

No,the battery isn't dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Tenger wrote: »
    "Fake FDR/CVR planted"

Well, those of us who could've (and tried) to add some constructive info and posts to this thread, were quickly run out of Dodge by the conspiracy theorists and over zealous moderating.

They're only reaping what they sowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

good god this thread is unbelievable. can some people with experience answer my questions with fact, not opinion.

What plane flew low over the Maldives area? The answer to this will define facts.

if two pings are being emitted:
    - are they the frequency of the missing plane?
    - what is the second ping?

Can the plane actually fly at 45,000 feet? And how is it controlled remotely or externally - if this is even possible.

Advertisement