Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wow. well I am in awe, that is all. All credit to investigation team. Long way to go yet but its amazing they've found the signals.

Map of signals here. They are quite a distance apart. Would be interesting to see what sort of science they'll use (Doppler etc) to locate the recorders.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2014/april/mr014.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

fits wrote: »
    Map of signals here. They are quite a distance apart. Would be interesting to see what sort of science they'll use (Doppler etc) to locate the recorders.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2014/april/mr014.aspx

Hoping I am helpful here... can they just tringulate the bearings to the pings and get a location... isn't that what is done for ASW for decades?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Is there anything which could emit such a regular sound over a two and a half hour period? could pings have been from another vessel in the vicinity? could it be from anything not manmade?

I'm just trying to figure out what else that noise could be, if not the FDR/cvr

37.5 was chosen a the frequency for the ULB as nothing in the ocean emits at that frequency. However as battery life drops the frequency can vary a little, in addition depth, water temp, distance and sub surface layers can degrade the signal strength.

Australia deploying sonar buoys in effort to speed up search before cvr far batteries run out. Normally used in anti submarine warfare. Search area still 1300 sq km.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304819004579490612321240476?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304819004579490612321240476.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What's the concensus of the techies? Is this it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Here's an info graph of how far down the black box probably is, http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/mobile/world/the-depth-of-the-problem/931/ I don't see them finding it any time soon or ever.

There's also an article in today's Australian about how the NSA are suspected of being involved in the disappearance, it's paid for content so I can't read the full article but that's a national paper and it seems to be implementing the yanks.

Here's an info graph of how far down the black box probably is, http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/mobile/world/the-depth-of-the-problem/931/ I don't see them finding it any time soon or ever.

There's also an article in today's Australian about how the NSA are suspected of being involved in the disappearance, it's paid for content so I can't read the full article but that's a national paper and it seems to be implicating the yanks.

NSA are a mostly internal US agency, sure it would be the CIA involved in S.E. Asia?
    And its another conspiracy leaning theory. (My emphasis)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Tenger wrote: »
    NSA are a mostly internal US agency, sure it would be the CIA involved in S.E. Asia?
    And its another conspiracy leaning theory. (My emphasis)

To add to that, the NSA are "snoopers" or listeners and are only interested in SIGINT (signal intelligence).

For HUMINT (human intelligence) and actual boots on the ground operations and missions it would be the DIA and CIA.

Obviously after mentioning all of that in one post I'll have to put my tinfoil hat on so they will never find me...... BRB there's a knock at the door......

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What's the concensus of the techies? Is this it?

barring sound pollution from the vessel itself, what else could it be. Regular signals like that must be man made in origin. Yes I think this is it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There would appear to be a huge difference between the equipment used by the Chinese in the rubber boat with the microphone on a stick and the equipment used by the Australians.

Also the Austalians have a scatter of soundings that would make sense, given the depth of the sea at that point, and I think the Chinese sounding should be ignored.

If you wanted to hide a plane, I think this is where it would be hidden. Having said that, it is still open on whether this is a deliberate act or an unlikely succession of accidental events.

The Titanic was an unsinkable ship going down in the deepest ocean on its maiden voyage. The ship could have been saved if particular actions had been taken in time, and more passengers could have survived had a better scheme of loading the lifeboats had been followed. And for the CT enthusiasts, did the bishop who ordered that photographer priest off in Cobh know something?

I hope we will not have to wait 73 years for answers to MH370.

Nice article on BBC about mapping the ocean floor.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26956798

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

There's also an article in today's Australian about how the NSA are suspected of being involved in the disappearance, it's paid for content so I can't read the full article but that's a national paper and it seems to be implementing the yanks.

And why on earth would that be?

They did not have any idea where the plane went yet they found the pinger so they will almost certainly find the black box. They can locate it down to a small area and just search.

They found the black box for Air France.

barring sound pollution from the vessel itself, what else could it be. Regular signals like that must be man made in origin. Yes I think this is it.

Why will they not admit that this is it?

They keep saying it could be animals and other marine life but lets be honest what else is going to be at 15,000feet below the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Because they can't say for absolute certain that it is the boxes until they retrieve them.

On the balance of probabilities though, it more than likely is them.

Well what else is it gonna be..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

owenc wrote: »
    Well what else is it gonna be..

like i said earlier... when the air france flight 447 went missing years ago i remember them saying that something like shrimp can give off the same frequency as the black box

They keep saying it could be animals and other marine life but lets be honest what else is going to be at 15,000feet below the surface.

After all this time and the false starts we have received I guess they will wait until they are 100% sure or even have an exact location before they will 'confirm' the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

like i said earlier... when the air france flight 447 went missing years ago i remember them saying that something like shrimp can give off the same frequency as the black box

Your theorem has already been discounted, the signal was not from any species but was received in a way which confirms its from a black box, all the Aussies want now is evidence of wreckage and we can expect details of deep dives to retrieve the FDR/CVR all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I think you need to re read the info or go to specsavers. 15000ft? Pretty sure it's only 3-4000ft under the surface!!!

• Advertisement

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I think you need to re read the info or go to specsavers. 15000ft? Pretty sure it's only 3-4000ft under the surface!!!

You need to re read the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

gumbo1 wrote: »
    ... Pretty sure it's only 3-4000ft under the surface!!!
    Pretty sure you're wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

That infographic shows it is possibly about 15000 ft (3 miles) down

The locator was deployed about 4600ft

Marine animals - beluga whales do have a large range of sounds from 1KHz to 100 kHz but deepest recorded depth of any whales is nowhere as deep as the detected signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

wil wrote: »
    That infographic shows it is possibly about 15000 ft (3 miles) down

The locator was deployed about 4600ft

Marine animals - beluga whales do have a large range of sounds from 1KHz to 100 kHz but deepest recorded depth of any whales is nowhere as deep as the detected signal.

I don't know what the point is that you are trying to make, but remember that the frequency is just one aspect of the signal being sent. Where may be overlap with other things out there but you can send an artificial sounding signal at the same frequency of a natural one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like the black box batteries may have finally faded - Hunt for missing jet dealt new blow as black box batteries have run out
    If the pings that were detected are from MH370 as seems to be highly likely, then where is the debris?? Very odd indeed, suggests (to me)the plane was possibly under some kind of control when the fuel ran out until the last moments.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Supercell wrote: »
    Looks like the black box batteries may have finally faded - Hunt for missing jet dealt new blow as black box batteries have run out
    If the pings that were detected are from MH370 as seems to be highly likely, then where is the debris?? Very odd indeed, suggests (to me)the plane was possibly under some kind of control when the fuel ran out until the last moments.

Im sure the debris has sunk, it crashed a month ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

!

CaptainSkidmarkObvious

Fixed your name:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Im sure the debris has sunk, it crashed a month ago!

I find it as difficult to find a motive for international cooperation in attempting to find this aircraft as I find it difficult to believe there is such international cooperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 warren44

So some people really believe that the Chinese actually picked up the ping with their little hand held locator? lol Aint happening even if these boxes were under water, which they are not.

Cold water will drain the batteries much faster, if the boxes are down there, the signal generator is probably out of juice.

Its just going to be one of those mysteries that wont ever be solved.

• Advertisement

Well that is a stupid design flaw

Advertisement