Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

eagerv wrote: »
    I find interesting the three general headings the aircraft appears to have taken:

1. Beijing. (Peking) ICAO code PEK
    2. Penang. ICAO code PEN
    3. Perth. ICAO code PER

Not familiar with the Triple7 FMC, but is seems a coincidence that these airports are in alphabetical order and are all airports that MAS use regularly.

That's quite interesting! What if in a moment of confused disorientation the pilot mistakenly hit the button for PER. We can check with eatmyshorts if the 777 uses IATA or ICAO.

Our own machine uses IATA, I've caught the f/o hitting EGPF instead of EGPH.

Good catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

A russian newspaper quotes that MH 370 was taken to Afganistan and all passengers were safe
    Might be carrying some undisclosed very high value cargo which was the target

Pretty sure that's just a bluff, I have it on good authority it landed in stauntonstan after refuelling in Collimorestan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Getting back to reality . . . .

I don't like the sound of all that deep silt on the ocean floor, which will only compound the search for MH370 debris and the black boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just don't understand the mechanics of how silt would behave at that depth though. It would be under enormous pressure. been trying to imagine it but nope - can't comprehend silt behaving in a 'silty' manner at 4km depth. thinking aloud I guess its the relative mass and density of the wreckage compared to the silt that would count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

fits wrote: »
    I just don't understand the mechanics of how silt would behave at that depth though. It would be under enormous pressure. been trying to imagine it but nope - can't comprehend silt behaving in a 'silty' manner at 4km depth. thinking aloud I guess its the relative mass and density of the wreckage compared to the silt that would count.

I'm no oceanographer, but presumably there are currents at those depths too? Or is the ocean still at those depths?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

lord lucan wrote: »
    This is the best advice you will get. If you think someone is trolling then ignore them and they'll get bored and move on somewhere else. If they're really bothering you then stick them on ignore and you don't have to see their posts.
    sopretty wrote: »
    The passengers being used as an excuse for something more sinister. But you all buy that. It's harsh of me to suggest that the world's largest military forces being suddenly employed in a unified manner to find these 239 people is somewhat unbelievable. My a**e.

Delude yourselves that it's a global search for the black box if that's what reinforces the importance of your industry to you all. Aviation errors are so so important that multimillions, nay billions, are put into searching for a black box.

Then, take off the blinkers and the ear muffs and smell the coffee.

I have gone with the ignore option after this post.

Are you dudes aware of what bullying is? It's persistent ridicule, isolation and insulting of a poster.
    If you wish to pick apart my post, pick it apart. Don't pretend to take some sort of 'moral high ground' by announcing to all and sundry that you have me on your ignore list.
    I'm sure the thanks will be flying in to your post. Well done. Congratulations.
    You cannot argue your point, so you attempt to ridicule me to make up for your lack of an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Growler!!! wrote: »
    We can check with eatmyshorts if the 777 uses IATA or ICAO.
    IATA codes aren't used in Nav databases at all. The only time we see an airfield referred to in IATA codes is at the top of the Flight Plan and on my roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Last warning thread will be closed if you keep on the path of off topicness if you want take it to pm.

Not here on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I heard a very thought provoking 'depth' analogy today re the ongoing search.

Think of standing on the top of the tallest mountain in the world (in the dark), then looking over the edge for a missing suitcase somewhere at the bottom of the mountain . . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Thing is, all the analogies in the world still don't seem to deal with the scale of the problem because from what I can see, most people can't relate to the idea of the aeroplane itself being small because when they stand next to it, it's orders of magnitude bigger than themselves.

The WaPo depth graphic, in that respect, was one of the best infographics I have seen for a long while depicting something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

LordSutch wrote: »
    Think of standing on the top of the tallest mountain in the world (in the dark), then looking over the edge for a missing suitcase somewhere at the bottom of the mountain . . . . . .

But the missing suitcase has sent out a signal telling you where it is....

Plus, you have submarines which can scan the entire mountain and pick up the image of said suit-case. It's not like you're completely blind at the top of the mountain trying to spot a suitcase 4 km down.

Nonsense analogy.

Except it isn't. It's just sending it an acoustic signature. It's up to you to work out were it is by listening in different positions and triangulating.

Except it isn't. It's just sending it an acoustic signature. It's up to you to work out were it is by listening in different positions and triangulating.

I'm sure they have experts adept at such positioning identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'm sure they have experts adept at such positioning identification.

thats what he said :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

People need to remember the qoute from above, It's just sending it an acoustic signature. - The speculation as to why subs can't find it, a max sub depth if I'm not mistaken is -1,600ft, if MH370 is where it is believed to be, it is most likely at -15,000ft - Far from nonsense it shows how little innovation in depth searching the world has invested in, our only hope is that Alvin can reach it, because its max dive is -14,763ft, it's also rumoured the depth could surpass -15,000ft where MH370 is possibly located as there has never been much detail regards the layout of the Ocean in this area.

Unprecedented is the key word in all of this.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    People need to remember the qoute from above, It's just sending it an acoustic signature. - The speculation as to why subs can't find it, a max sub depth if I'm not mistaken is -1,600ft, if MH370 is where it is believed to be, it is most likely at -15,000ft - Far from nonsense it shows how little innovation in depth searching the world has invested in, our only hope is that Alvin can reach it, because its max dive is -14,763ft, it's also rumoured the depth could surpass -15,000ft where MH370 is possibly located as there has never been much detail regards the layout of the Ocean in this area.

Well said. Some people just seem to have an inability to fathom the scale of the operation.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    thats what he said :confused:

Eh....... no it's not. I got the implication from his post that some sort of layperson (the fella on top of the mountain, looking for the suitcase), has to figure out the triangulation for themselves.

The fact is, they have heard the signal, they have by now triangulated I am sure, so they pretty much know where this signal is. It's literally a case of accessing the position imo.

On that subject, Alvin has just passed seatrials following a refit - details here: http://www.whoi.edu/news-release/alvin-svc

On a vaguely related note, Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst did an interesting FAQ on MH370 a week or two ago: http://www.whoi.edu/main/faq-malaysia-airlines-flight-370 which I meant to post at the time but forgot as I got the message highlighting it at some point where I was AFK. It may be a little out of date but is worth a look given WHOI's record in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Eh....... no it's not. I got the implication from his post that some sort of layperson (the fella on top of the mountain, looking for the suitcase), has to figure out the triangulation for themselves.

what :confused:

That honestly doesn't make any sense.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    what :confused:

That honestly doesn't make any sense.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Are you dudes aware of what bullying is? It's persistent ridicule, isolation and insulting of a poster.
    If you wish to pick apart my post, pick it apart. Don't pretend to take some sort of 'moral high ground' by announcing to all and sundry that you have me on your ignore list.
    I'm sure the thanks will be flying in to your post. Well done. Congratulations.
    You cannot argue your point, so you attempt to ridicule me to make up for your lack of an argument.

Less of the grandstanding, you're not a victim or being bullied.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Less of the grandstanding, you're not a victim or being bullied.

I thought these things should be discussed via pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I thought these things should be discussed via pm?

You're the one dragging the thread off topic with talk of insults and bullying. Any more will result in a week off from A&A.

Has anyone also noticed the political circus the Aussie PM, idiot Abbott as he is known has turned this into. Lampooning MH370 to try recover his own standing in polls - I suppose what should one expect from politicians..

Thanks to Calina for that link, it does now seem the retrofit Alvin has had done will give some further hope to recovery. I would be grateful if the forum could now focus on three things,

Fact
    Informed Speculation
    Informed Discussion

Has anyone also noticed the political circus the Aussie PM, idiot Abbott as he is known has turned this into. Lampooning MH370 to try recover his own standing in polls - I suppose what should one expect from politicians..

I tried to argue the point that this was a political endeavour yesterday. So, yes, I agree with you.

I tried to argue the point that this was a political endeavour yesterday. So, yes, I agree with you.

Yes but I'm far from going down the road of political conspiracy which you seemed to be alluding to yesterday r.e. worlds forces in the search. Simply I am pissed of by a PM turning it into a political football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

http://news.msn.co.nz/worldnews/8828684/mh370-black-box-may-have-been-found

"Black boxes of MH370 may have been found," he (Geoffrey Thomas) wrote on Twitter.

"PM to make announcement at 11.45am (WST)."

edit : just noticed the times, not very good at that... Is the Tony Abbott conference the one past ? The one where he said they are "confident" ?

Dammit :mad:

Surely made a big fuss of nothing.

• Advertisement

Thanks to Calina for that link, it does now seem the retrofit Alvin has had done will give some further hope to recovery.

You're welcome.

I love Alvin. Ballard's book on finding the Titanic was the most expensive book I owned as a teenager and I found it fascinating.

Regardling Abbot, I think his first announcement to the Australian Parliament may have been ill advised but would also note that AMSA have picked up a few lone sailors in their time and they have shown themselves to be good at hard rescue problems. My view is the search will be ongoing regardless of how people try to exploit it to obtain political or social capital out of it.

With respect to news that the boxes "may have been found", I'm really less interested in reports which include qualifiers like "may" and "possibly". I'd prefer the big announcements were reserved for "have been found" and let the lower level press liaison include things like "we believe it is possible that this signal may emanate from the black box but this is still to be confirmed for certain".

My hope, incidentally, is that if and when they do locate the black boxes, they also do locate some of the wreckage.

Advertisement