Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Colser wrote: »
    Total novice here also...If it was an explosion wouldnt it have been impossible for the other plane to contact it 10 mins after it went off radar as it would been in the sea almost instantly?

Depends where any potential explosion was and the damage it caused I guess, the plane may have glided for a while. It would naturally take a while to fall 35000 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

fr336 wrote: »
    Loss of air (slow and painful death) would be better than an explosion (instant death)?

I thought you'd be unconscious fairly quickly by loss of air?

But i mean if it was a terror act there could be similar acts in the future which is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

rightyabe wrote: »
    I thought you'd be unconscious fairly quickly by loss of air?

But i mean if it was a terror act there could be similar acts in the future which is bad.

No it would be the equivalent of choking or drowning, loss of air. Awful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is unlikely that an incident similar to Helios happened. The plane from what we have been told did not have any major pre-flight maintenance. The Helios plane had a maintenance issue it seems where the plane's pressurisation wasn't reset to auto after the maintenance.

This flight went down very quickly.

YbFocus wrote: »
    No it would be the equivalent of choking or drowning, loss of air. Awful death.

From what I know you just lose consciousness. It isn't an awful death. On that Helios flight a flight attendant lost consciousness but awoke and tried to refly the plane but was unsuccessful as the plane ran out of fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

From what I know you just lose consciousness. It isn't an awful death. On that Helios flight a flight attendant lost consciousness but awoke and tried to refly the plane but was unsuccessful as the plane ran out of fuel.

Ah right it wouldn't be so bad if you'd pass out rather quickly.

From the Mirror.........

"A Vietnamese search and rescue team said a Singaporean ship has notified them of seeing 'suspicious floating objects; around 100km southwest of the cuontry.

Three vessels are being sent out to the site, the first is expected arrive by 7pm local time.

A team of American aviation accident investigators, led by National Transportation Safety Board experts, is also en route to Asia.

.........."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

From the Mirror.........

"A Vietnamese search and rescue team said a Singaporean ship has notified them of seeing 'suspicious floating objects; around 100km southwest of the cuontry.

Three vessels are being sent out to the site, the first is expected arrive by 7pm local time.

A team of American aviation accident investigators, led by National Transportation Safety Board experts, is also en route to Asia.

.........."

See report at 6.59pm here: http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html

It looks as though that has come to nothing.

Calina wrote: »
    See report at 6.59pm here: http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html

It looks as though that has come to nothing.

6.59pm....what time zone is that relating to. The Mirror says a singoporean ship spotted debris whereas that report sights a plane spotting debris. Could be just a mix up though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

From the Mirror.........

.........."

The Guardian live blog reports a ship is to arrive on that site within the hour. The item was spotted by aircraft earlier. The post only just went up. :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

6.59pm....what time zone is that relating to. The Mirror says a singoporean ship spotted debris whereas that report sights a plane spotting debris. Could be just a mix up though.

I believe, since it's Yahoo Malaysia, it's Malaysian time. It updated in the last 30 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

I wish the media would stop calling this a failure as seen in this example

"the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) plane which went missing yesterday said the lack of warnings about a problem aboard the flight suggests a catastrophic failure during flight."

Judging by the fact facts that are available at the moment a Catastrophic event would be more suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Why? Failure is an engineering term and perfectly valid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

This is getting weirder and weirder each hour that passes.

Just read on Airliners.net that the piece of yellow material they seen earlier was not part of the plane either!

People say oceans are big but really I mean come on. This is not an ocean it is a sea and it is very shallow. They know where it disappeared and they know what time it disappeared. If someone can find a plane in the south atlantic ocean they can find a plane here!

It is a mystery why it is taking so long to find this plane, there is something very very suspicious about this. I think maybe they are hiding something.

I mean surely a depth of 50m isn't very deep at all? Would they not see bits of the plane at the bottom of the sea floor or is 50m too deep for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Just throwing this out there, were the crew involved, either together or individually, they can turn off the transponder, acars, cockpit voice recorder etc.
    Did they fly the aircraft some other direction then ditch it?
    Who is going to stop them as passengers cant access the cockpit?

As already posted, this does not add up under normal accident/disappearance means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Just throwing this out there, were the crew involved, either together or individually, they can turn off the transponder, acars, cockpit voice recorder etc.
    Did they fly the aircraft some other direction then ditch it?
    Who is going to stop them as passengers cant access the cockpit?

As already posted, this does not add up under normal accident/disappearance means.

Can the transponder be turned off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes it can but people said earlier that even then the military radar would see it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Gut feeling is it is something very similar to AF447, misinterpreted signals or a systems failure causing an unrecoverable stall and rapid descent. Highly doubt it is terrorist related, even less likely that it is a hijacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Yes, it's like a radio unit, on/off

It must be approaching nightfall now in the area so it could well be another day or so before any sighting of debris again.

The wait must be terrible for the relatives. I hope they find out soon whatever the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if the plane did turn around and no mayday call went in, then for sure something is amiss.

also, why would another plane be talking to it as was suggested unless they knew something was up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Gut feeling is it is something very similar to AF447, misinterpreted signals or a systems failure causing an unrecoverable stall and rapid descent. Highly doubt it is terrorist related, even less likely that it is a hijacking.

But there were no failures reported in the ACARS messages?

It is hard to know. The authorities in Malaysia say the ACARS system sent no unnormal data. The Air France flight did. The authorities didn't reveal when they last received data from the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Yes I know - it is why it is so baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Couldn't it also be the case that sonething damaged the plane causing damage to the hydrolic lines causing an unrecoverable stall.

Where is the transponder located on this plane? How likely is a similar systems malfunction?

It really could be anything tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The only other possibility is it was struck by something such as a missile test or a drone of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The only other possibility is it was struck by something such as a missile test or a drone of some sort.

that would make sense, but why would it turn back then without issuing a mayday or distress signal?

it turned back for a reason and then just disappeared (unless of course these turnback rumours are false).

It seems that the plane did make an unscheduled turn from its flight path. If ACARS data was sent from the plane after this with no abnormality you have to wonder why. The authorities haven't told us how far the plane travelled after making this turn and whether this turn was before/after the communication with the second plane.
    It appears the plane had gone off the radar when ATC requested a plane ahead of MH370 to make emergency contact, so had the plane (MH370) turned at this stage, given that it was 10 mins after last radar contact when the other plane communicated. This could mean that MH370 had made a turn some 10/15 minutes before last contact on the plane.
    You have to wonder why the crew would not have contacted ATC during that period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

2 people being confirmed having false passports and atleast two more investigated for false passports on the flight I don't believe to be a coincidence.

The first two people were stated as having bought identical flights with identical prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

that would make sense, but why would it turn back then without issuing a mayday or distress signal?

it turned back for a reason and then just disappeared (unless of course these turnback rumours are false).

Do we have any confirmation of anything though?

Very few firm facts in the public domain.

Advertisement