Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Interesting to hear how people cite a lack of control as their fear of flying. I wonder how many of the same people drive a car, where you are statistically far, far more likely to die in a crash? Essentially its the same thing when driving a car- you have zero control over another person, so a joyriding maniac on the wrong side of the road can end your life no matter how careful you were when merging lanes, stopping for obstacles etc. Same with a bus, you are putting your life in the hands of a bus driver and presuming nothing from the start to the end of your journey will affect you. When in reality you are much more likely to die on the road than in the air..

For me and I don't have much of a fear of flying, it would be the simple fact that if something goes wrong in the air, it's fairly likely it's the end....... Turbulence doesn't bother me at all, I feel like I'm riding the clouds lol (probably bears no correlation to what the plane is actually doing).

I'd be less fearful of driving. Not because of the frequency of deaths/consequences, but moreso because of the chance of surviving.

Even less fearful when cycling, though theoretically, it could be argued, I'd be at my most vulnerable.

Potential implications of an accident would be what would heighten my fears, rather than the potential of an accident happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

sopretty wrote: »
    For me and I don't have much of a fear of flying, it would be the simple fact that if something goes wrong in the air, it's fairly likely it's the end.......

I don't think that's strictly true. Plenty of crash landings and things going wrong in the air with 0 fatalities.

Just off the top of my head:

BA38 crash landing at Heathrow
    LOT landing in Warsaw with no gear
    Hundson River

All of those were significant failures that arose in the air.

keith16 wrote: »
    I don't think that's strictly true. Plenty of crash landings and things going wrong in the air with 0 fatalities.

Just off the top of my head:

BA38 crash landing at Heathrow
    LOT landing in Warsaw with no gear
    Hundson River

All of those were significant failures that arose in the air.

It wouldn't be like me to have rational thoughts lol. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Fears tend to be irrational anyway... I'm not afraid of flying, but I'm afraid of spiders :) what are the killing rates/statistics ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Interesting to hear how people cite a lack of control as their fear of flying. I wonder how many of the same people drive a car, where you are statistically far, far more likely to die in a crash?

That's why it's a phobia - an irrational fear.
    I'd be less fearful of driving. Not because of the frequency of deaths/consequences, but moreso because of the chance of surviving.

Actually, statistically, you have more chance of surviving your flight than your car journey.

• Advertisement

That's why it's a phobia - an irrational fear.

Actually, statistically, you have more chance of surviving your flight than your car journey.

Statistically, I've more chance of surviving a car crash than a plane crash!

Well, so long as you don't mind being in the crash in the first place so.....

Well, so long as you don't mind being in the crash in the first place so.....

If you had correctly read my post in the first place, you would not have gotten confused as to what I was saying. :p

If you had correctly read my post in the first place, you would not have gotten confused as to what I was saying. :p

Jasus you never give up do you?

Jasus you never give up do you?

I think the 'attitude' is rubbing off on me.

• Advertisement

I think the 'attitude' is rubbing off on me.

Somehow I don't think you needed to 'rub off' anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

But you are far more likely to be in a car crash so your chances of dying in a car crash are still far higher than your chances of dying in a plane crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Back in '07, I remember reading a report which said the probability of being killed en-route to the airport in a car outweighed massively the chances of being killed in a plane crash.

Calina wrote: »
    But you are far more likely to be in a car crash so your chances of dying in a car crash are still far higher than your chances of dying in a plane crash.

I wouldn't even bother tbh.

Calina wrote: »
    But you are far more likely to be in a car crash so your chances of dying are still far higher than your chances of dying in a plane crash.

I never said it was rational nor statistically analysed thinking. You can't argue though, that if something goes wrong with a plane, you're in serious trouble, rather than if something goes wrong with your car, where you can just pull in.

Why do you guys feel the need to pick on my posts? :) It's getting a 'little' irritating at this stage.

Can I just summarise the past few posts:

You are more likely to die in a car crash than in a plane crash. If you have a fear of flying, then you must be completely thick and incapable of grasping this concept.

And on we go...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

We're drifting way off topic here,can we get back to MH370 please.

Feel free to start a thread about the statistics of plane v car crashes if you like.
    .:)

You are more likely to die in a car crash than in a plane crash. If you have a fear of flying, then you must be completely thick and incapable of grasping this concept.

And on we go...........

Are you a professional victim? Nobody mentioned 'thick' except you, and you responded aggressively to an innocuous comment of mine implying that I couldn't understand your comment and was confused. So you're not the one being picked on here.

If you have a fear of flying, then you must be completely thick and incapable of grasping this concept.

That's your interpretation to again now for the umtenth time distract the thread into a joke. Seriously get a grip, boring at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

And on we go...........

That is not a valid summary of the last few posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I'm guessing they haven't found MH370 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Oh dear! Here we go again, perhaps you should read through the entire thread before you post - difficult I know. Every one of your comments are either incorrect or have been proven false on numerous occaisions here and on the various pilot forums.

I am familiar with the thread. There are many opinions expressed but not much has been "proven" as you suggest. Are you suggesting that someone on board MH370 did not attempt to "go black"? That assertion is neither proven or disproven at this stage. I simply put the assertion forward as a strong possibility.
    BTW it was a ground station via an INMARSAT satellite that routinely contacted the aircraft to ask "Hello" and "Are you there?" The aircraft didn't communicate with a monitoring satelite. And these were only tracked back through historical logs while trying to work out the track.
    I'd say you just contradicted yourself there. Fact: There was a series of two-way "conversations" via satellite between a ground station and MH370.

The engineers at Boeing know what protocols could be thus enabled but I don't think they are likely to pop up here and tell us. Given that this is likely to be military grade technology they are probably bound by some official secrets act just like the NSA has all your internet services so bound. Note that I say "probably".

Also this yarn about trawling back through the records does not eliminate the posibility that these "pings" could have been directed to a live operator as they occurred. They should have been. Who knows maybe in the future unusual events like this will be "trapped" and sent to someone who might do some thing about it before innocent people start dying.
    As for "remote control" - a huge job and I guess you missed the efforts of those trying to remote control a B727 crash into a desert.

I don't get the relevance of this B727 experiment. Flying a plane by remote control is easy, Just feed the usual parameters into the autopilot and sit back. Of course landing a plane is another matter. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

pfurey101 wrote: »
    I'm guessing they haven't found MH370 yet?

I feel the world is losing interest and have already written it off in terms of ever finding it. Another Sky News crisis and we will all move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I don't think it'll ever be found now.

I don't think it'll ever be found now.

At the risk of being goaded off the thread once more lol (thankfully I've a neck on my like a jockey's b*****), does anyone else find it strange that this amazing submersible, which took weeks to be brought in by the US, has a silly over-ride function which means that if it reaches its lowest functional depth, then it 'abandons ship' altogether? Why not just go up a little bit to a safer depth!? Is there no communication between 'it' and the surface? Bit of a white elephant of a piece of technology if that is to be believed.

Because a safety device overrides when it goes below its safe depth to bump it to the surface.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Because a safety device overrides when it goes below its safe depth to bump it to the surface.

I got that much Jack lol. Why would it be fitted with such an extreme device though. Is it some sort of a rock on an elastic band which bounces down and then back up lol?
    I thought it might be slightly more 'intelligently designed' than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Yep seat of the pants is a much better approach. You should write to the manufacturer and operator as I am sure they will appreciate your well considered advice.

basill wrote: »
    Yep seat of the pants is a much better approach. You should write to the manufacturer and operator as I am sure they will appreciate your well considered advice.

Well, I'd have thought it might be intelligent enough to either:

A) not exceed its safe functional depth
    or
    B) retreat slightly before breaching its safe functional depth

It sounds to me like it says to itself 'Eh, right now folks, my work here is done, I'm not paid to go down any further, I'm retreating to the surface on Health and Safety grounds'. :D

• Advertisement

Can I ask, does this thing have any way of communicating with the surface or is it entirely autonomous when submerged?

Advertisement