Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

sopretty wrote: »
    Ah they wouldn't be doing that, would they? With the safety of Aviation at stake?
    And let's not forget the 'families' (I have a serious resentment to how that acting transport referred to the 'families'.)

You really need to drop that resentment and maybe recognise that it might be built on prejudice rather than reality.

As for the safety of aviation, you'd be naive if you think work in that area shuts down even if they stop the underwater search at this point. This does not preclude restarting it again if further information comes to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Calina wrote: »
    You really need to drop that resentment and maybe recognise that it might be built on prejudice rather than reality.

As for the safety of aviation, you'd be naive if you think work in that area shuts down even if they stop the underwater search at this point. This does not preclude restarting it again if further information comes to light.

1. There is no prejudice. I've listened to pretty much all of the Acting Transport Minister's press conferences. His constant referral to the 'families' is bull crap. It is insulting to them and it is assuming that the general global populace are naive enough to believe that this is the motivation behind this massive investigation.

2. I have no idea what you are trying to state in your second paragraph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Cant wait until its confirmed its on land after they have rescued the passengers, lets see what all the so called experts will have to say then to the people who believe it has landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cant wait until its confirmed its on land after they have rescued the passengers, lets see what all the so called experts will have to say then to the people who believe it has landed.
    I doubt anyone here is an expert in the field of finding lost planes. I'm certainly not but I'm quite sure this plane is at the bottom of the ocean, perhaps not where they are looking, but definitely not safe and sound somewhere om dry land.

IF however it does turn up on dry land and more importantly if the passengers are found alive I'll be more than happy to eat my words. But it won't happen. If it does, it'll be the first time in known history that such an event has occurred.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

murphaph wrote: »

IF however it does turn up on dry land and more importantly if the passengers are found alive I'll be more than happy to eat my words. .....

Seconded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It would be great ... I don't think passengers would be kept alive a month though. I thought that could have happened for a week or two maybe.

At this stage what tips the balance in favour of the Indian Ocean for me is the amount of money they have spent on the search there. I mean, to cover up, couldn't they equally have faked a wreck in shallower waters ? Say, in the sea of China ? Or in the Andamans ?That would have been a lot less costly.

But I do still think there is a possibility that plane headed North, or West. We're not privy to Indian, and other radars in the areas that could have been crossed, so the whole "saw a plane/didn't see a plane" check list with these countries is not fully reliable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

How close is the search site to Diego Garcia? And would it have been on the continued route? I know this was covered earlier on but i cant find it:(

murphaph wrote: »
    I doubt anyone here is an expert in the field of finding lost planes. I'm certainly not but I'm quite sure this plane is at the bottom of the ocean, perhaps not where they are looking, but definitely not safe and sound somewhere om dry land.

IF however it does turn up on dry land and more importantly if the passengers are found alive I'll be more than happy to eat my words. But it won't happen. If it does, it'll be the first time in known history that such an event has occurred.

That's it, but then again, two planes crashing into the twin towers, and the subsequent collapse was also completely unprecedented.
    Unfortunately, new/unprecedented events happen all the time.

How close is the search site to Diego Garcia? And would it have been on the continued route? I know this was covered earlier on but i cant find it:(

No, Diego Garcia is a huge distance from the search area, here's a google maps link :
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=-7.267715,72.397628&spn=0.024904,0.042272&t=h&z=15

What would have been more on the route, are the Coco Islands. There's a suitable landing strip there too, but although they have a very colourful military past (since it's a very tactical spot), the islands are now mostly dedicated to tourism.

The Cocos (also called Keelings) are nearly in a straight line down from the Andamans, and if you were to draw a line between Andamans and current search area, Cocos would be just a bit more than half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That's it, but then again, two planes crashing into the twin towers, and the subsequent collapse was also completely unprecedented.
    Unfortunately, new/unprecedented events happen all the time.

Exactly this...^^^^^
    Just because something has not happened before, doesn't mean that it can't happen.
    At the moment, and until they find something somewhere, it is all just theory and speculation, even from the experts.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Exactly this...^^^^^
    Just because something has not happened before, doesn't mean that it can't happen.
    At the moment, and until they find something somewhere, it is all just theory and speculation, even from the experts.

Which is why I believe nothing. Whatever the media has been told is possibly 5% of what is known. Again, going on that basis of knowledge - how on God's earth, would China, Britain, Australia and the US unite forces APPARENTLY to APPARENTLY endeavour to find an APPARENTLY sunken plane?

Yes, I know the pilots will ridicule me about passenger safety etc.

But seriously like? Ask yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

As with AF447 there will be some rational explanation as to what happened to MH370 in the fullness of time. Remember that it was 2011 before what happened with AF447 (2009) was fully revealed.

Terrorism, hijacking, human sabotage, these would be rational explanations to what happened to it too. Just as much as technical problems.

Statistics might favour the latter, but the variables in this particular case (communications black out, about turn, altitude changes, way points amended trajectory, prolonged flight after possible event) imo definitely have the potential to skew the statistics.

Still thinking of the families out there, I know I would be too angry to grieve. Hope something comes to light soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Ah they wouldn't be doing that, would they? With the safety of Aviation at stake?
    And let's not forget the 'families' (I have a serious resentment to how that acting transport referred to the 'families'.)

Sopretty.

Please stop trying to wind the thread up as i have discussed this with ya before and you agreed not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Which is why I believe nothing. Whatever the media has been told is possibly 5% of what is known. Again, going on that basis of knowledge - how on God's earth, would China, Britain, Australia and the US unite forces APPARENTLY to APPARENTLY endeavour to find an APPARENTLY sunken plane?

ALIENS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Boeing built the plane. It's common that the US get involved in investigating incidents with Boeing planes. China had a large number of citizens on board. The wreckage is closest to Australia going on the best data we have. Britain, well they're just a great bunch of lads...

I'd also imagine the potential terrorism aspect to this peaks the interest of the US/UK/Australia etc. It's not at all surprising as you are making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

. Britain, well they're just a great bunch of lads....

Rolls Royce engines, therefore the UK would be involved.

I'd also imagine the potential terrorism aspect to this peaks the interest of the US/UK/Australia etc. It's not at all surprising

That's a novel concept which I had failed to consider.... silly me...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

andy_g wrote: »
    Sopretty.

Please stop trying to wind the thread up as i have discussed this with ya before and you agreed not to.

** People have different opinions, it's the very seeds of debate and discussion... If you disagree with a contributors post, publish a different view of events, and feel free to speculate on what you think may have occurred.... But always remember, nobody on this forum has the location of the aircraft right now... Nobody! **

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

flanna01 wrote: »
    ** People have different opinions, it's the very seeds of debate and discussion... If you disagree with a contributors post, publish a different view of events, and feel free to speculate on what you think may have occurred.... But always remember, nobody on this forum has the location of the aircraft right now... Nobody! **

If you have a problem with a Mod instruction take it to PM and not on thread. Do it again and you'll enjoy a week off from A&A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭angwd

Terrorism, hijacking, human sabotage, these would be rational explanations to what happened to it too. Just as much as technical problems.

Statistics might favour the latter, but the variables in this particular case (communications black out, about turn, altitude changes, way points amended trajectory, prolonged flight after possible event) imo definitely have the potential to skew the statistics.

Still thinking of the families out there, I know I would be too angry to grieve. Hope something comes to light soon.

I agree with your thoughts but I still can't find a valid source that verifies the navigation through way points and altitude fluctuations. From the off there's been so much misinformation it's hard to weed out fact.

At the beginning of the Indian Ocean search I had the feeling of "Don't look there, look here" and while everyone refers to the cost of the search isn't it mainly military personnel and equipment, overhead for each country regardless, forgive the pun but a mere drop in the ocean.

What a good thing if they do find the plane during the coming week. But I'm still wondering how they managed to locate the pings, seems so random.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

alt fluctuations and navigation via waypoints is detailed on avherald.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Reports in sky news that Malaysian airlines plane is to make a emergency landing in KL following landing issues.

Can't link as on phone.

More bad times ahead for MA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

It landed safely.

angwd wrote: »
    I agree with your thoughts but I still can't find a valid source that verifies the navigation through way points and altitude fluctuations. From the off there's been so much misinformation it's hard to weed out fact.

At the beginning of the Indian Ocean search I had the feeling of "Don't look there, look here" and while everyone refers to the cost of the search isn't it mainly military personnel and equipment, overhead for each country regardless, forgive the pun but a mere drop in the ocean.

What a good thing if they do find the plane during the coming week. But I'm still wondering how they managed to locate the pings, seems so random.

Yes that's true, it's nearly always "a source".

I know what you're saying about the military personnel, but do they really spend that much on fuel for the planes normally, for example ?

When you think of it, that entire search is solely based on the arc/pings theory, and the one that the Southern Arc is... "more likely".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Reports in sky news that Malaysian airlines plane is to make a emergency landing in KL following landing issues.

Can't link as on phone.

More bad times ahead for MA

Hardly a story. This happens every day in some form or other. If it was any other airline you wouldn't even be hearing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hardly a story. This happens every day in some form or other. If it was any other airline you wouldn't even be hearing about it.

But....but but.....It was on sky....Kay Burley was running down the runway after it landed, her face almost set ablaze by the fury of the reverse thrust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

KoolKid wrote: »

Daily occurance in some capacity yes, however when the public read about reoccuring issues with an airline it takes from credibility and therefore pax numbers.

It wasn't a case of "Omg drama" it was a case of *faceplam* the news is going to be all over this and pull MA further down. Hence the bad news for MA commet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Daily occurance in some capacity yes, however when the public read about reoccuring issues with an airline it takes from credibility and therefore pax numbers.

It wasn't a case of "Omg drama" it was a case of *faceplam* the news is going to be all over this and pull MA further down. Hence the bad news for MA commet
    Indeed. While the airline community may realise that such incidents occur quite commonly the travelling public does not. And then you have the media who love to hype up these incidents.

"PM's plane hit by lightning", "pilot fights to control aircraft" and "Westlife in mid-air terror" spring to mind.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Indeed. While the airline community may realise that such incidents occur quite commonly the travelling public does not. And then you have the media who love to hype up these incidents.

"PM's plane hit by lightning", "pilot fights to control aircraft" and "Westlife in mid-air terror" spring to mind.

So would you suggest that any incidents of aircraft or pilot inadequacies or failures should not be reported on to the general public?

Advertisement