Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

2 stroke wrote: »
    I notice the other thread has been unstickied. I would like it restickied and left there untill we have answers.

The decision was taken to unsticky it as they has been so little content added over the last few weeks. The Boards.ie preference is that sticky's are for frequently asked questions and their answers. Daily reference sort of stuff.
    I understand you logic, however this mystery is not being ignored or forgotten about by anyone in the aviation industry or by A&A members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If you follow the thread there's really no need for it to be stickied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Synode wrote: »
    If you follow the thread there's really no need for it to be stickied
    You must log in to use this feature:
    I look in on that thread most days, often on a work computer & I don't want to enter username/password. Also not to argue with the mods decision, but few if any stickies on boards have as many replies. However I think the number of thanks decides theres no support for my idea.

...... However I think the number of thanks decides theres no support for my idea.

Well there was a discussion about the pro's and con's of keeping it.
    I am very confident that once we have some progress in the actual location of the aircraft we will re-sticky the thread or more likely create a new sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Just to regurgitate what tenger is saying.

1. The mod team had a discussion regarding the thread.

2. pro/cons discussed about the stickies.

3. Conclusion met unsticky threads that were taking up real estate on the forum to clean it up.

This thread happened to be one of the threads unstuck.

*Conclusion*

Once we have more information available (I.E) new statements from the bodies investigating the crash or the aircraft has indeed been found we will re-sticky the thread for a time.

Now to the point of this thread Speculation and discussion lets do that discuss away, by staying on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

http://bollyn.com/#article_14753

Don't know if this has been posted here yet or not!

Any credibility in what he's saying? Considering that it's in the ac range could it have something to do with a plot of some sort?

OR

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10913620/MH370-search-for-missing-Malaysia-Airlines-plane-to-shift-south.html

Could the in marsat information be correct? I was under the impression the detections they claimed to hear were in they area that inmarsat had said they believed it to be!
    Guess we'll have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Any credibility in what he's saying?

Nope.

His story is "A 777 was in a hanger in Tel Aviv" and some random wittering after it. There's over 1200 777s built so far. A completely different, random 777 being parked somewhere is a likelyhood, not an oddity.

Additionally, he appears to be a 9/11 "truther" meaning that he's an idiot who'll believe anything once it hasn't been said by "the man".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

MYOB wrote: »
    Nope.

His story is "A 777 was in a hanger in Tel Aviv" and some random wittering after it. There's over 1200 777s built so far. A completely different, random 777 being parked somewhere is a likelyhood, not an oddity.

I thought as much myself but just wondered about opinion from others about it!What about the inmarsat info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

NipNip wrote: »

Can you summarize the rest of that article for us? Its subscription only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Can you summarize the rest of that article for us? Its subscription only.

This is the Daily Mails take on that paywalled article. There are a number of news outlets reporting on it this morning, but the source for all of them goes back to that Times article.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

IIRC they cleared his Flight Sim files months ago when they searched them and they are now saying they are suspect:

"it now appears they found evidence of routes programmed to take a plane far out into the Indian Ocean and practising landing using a short runway on an island."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/mh370-search-pilot-zaharie-shah-named-as-chief-suspect-by-malaysian-investigators-after-plans-for-indian-ocean-flight-found-on-simulator-9554672.html

This investigation stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

sully2010 wrote: »
    IIRC they cleared his Flight Sim files months ago when they searched them and they are now saying they are suspect:

"it now appears they found evidence of routes programmed to take a plane far out into the Indian Ocean and practising landing using a short runway on an island."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/mh370-search-pilot-zaharie-shah-named-as-chief-suspect-by-malaysian-investigators-after-plans-for-indian-ocean-flight-found-on-simulator-9554672.html

This investigation stinks.

Agree it's total bull, flight sim deletes all flights bar the last flight flown upon exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Agree it's total bull, flight sim deletes all flights bar the last flight flown upon exit.
    Come on now. The information is not irretrievable to the right experts. Not saying anything about the truthfulness or otherwise of the article. The guy isn't here to defend himself and even if true that wouldn't be anywhere near enough evidence to convict the guy in a court. I can imagine short landings over water might just be a fun thing to do on a sim and not something he could ever do for real at work.

murphaph wrote: »
    Come on now. The information is not irretrievable to the right experts. Not saying anything about the truthfulness or otherwise of the article. The guy isn't here to defend himself and even if true that wouldn't be anywhere near enough evidence to convict the guy in a court. I can imagine short landings over water might just be a fun thing to do on a sim and not something he could ever do for real at work.

Ah I know! But as you are saying how the hell can say what sound to be peculiar flights on a flight sim translate into a suicidal captain who downed an airliner in the Indian Ocean? Hate how this sh*t gets into the public domain anyway before they come to a conclusion - That's where this investigation has been wrong from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Any ideas which island was on the pilots flight simulator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Any ideas which island was on the pilots flight simulator?

The only places down that way are Diego Garcia, Cocos Keeling, and Christmas Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

the_monkey wrote: »
    BBC2 Horizon tomorrow night is about MH370 .

looks very interesting - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0212kr2

The Horizon documentary was very good. I find it quite incredible that without the analysis which seems to have been voluntarily done by Inmarsat the authorities would have absolutely no idea where MH370 went and no idea where to start searching although Horizon did seem to suggest the wrong area was searched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

This makes no sense. This was an experienced airline captain not just some ordinary guy who does flightsim.

It is now being claimed that he was doing all this practising on his sim so he could land on some remote island. If it was his intention to fly a real 777 to and land on this island he would know how to do it and would have made it. So, why didn't he make it if it was his intention.

dubdaymo wrote: »
    This makes no sense. This was an experienced airline captain not just some ordinary guy who does flightsim.

It is now being claimed that he was doing all this practising on his sim so he could land on some remote island. If it was his intention to fly a real 777 to and land on this island he would know how to do it and would have made it. So, why didn't he make it if it was his intention.

maybe he did make it

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

maybe he did make it
    LOL, and nobody has bothered to look?

dubdaymo wrote: »
    LOL, and nobody has bothered to look?

LOL, look where?

Do people seriously think none of these Islands have been checked? The Diego Garcia one tops it all, a massive US intelligence and military base, Sure wouldn't that be the perfect place to quietly park up a 777.

Do people seriously think none of these Islands have been checked? The Diego Garcia one tops it all, a massive US intelligence and military base, Sure wouldn't that be the perfect place to quietly park up a 777.

Whats your explanation of what happened, or do you have one?

Whats your explanation of what happened, or do you have one?

Nobody has an explanation. That's the issue. This pondering speculation into landing on an Island or even heading North through numerous countries undetected only further exacerbates the loss to the family members of those missing. It's actually ridiculous this is still seen by some (thankfully not the Investigation teams) as a possibility, I mean Diego Garcia - Some people seem to actually think a 777 could land there undetected on one of the most militarized Islands in the World, which is under the command of the US.

The only possible realistic scenario is that 9M-MRO, deviated from its route (we don't know by whom that was done or why), flew South West into the Indian Ocean and eventually ran out of fuel (going on the ping back data). The Inmarsat data actually pinpointed the two possible scenarios, a Northern bearing or Southern - They believe it was a Southern bearing and confirmed this week they believed the search zone in the South was ''off track'' - A new search has commenced this week and I hope the new zone Inmarsat proposed is searched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

We do know that they weren't checked soon enough. If that plane did manage to land somewhere, refuel and takeoff, how far could it have flown?

.....If that plane did manage to land somewhere, refuel and takeoff, how far could it have flown?

I personally rate the "land on island refuel and depart" as a conspiracy theory.

However to answer you question.....pretty much anywhere once refueled.....but then you run into the problem of where would it fly too and why was it not detected if airborne again. Not to mention that the actual data avail so far is still consistent with a no fuel ditching into the Southern Ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

They're all dead.Can we all just get over it already.

Advertisement