Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32331650
    Search is ongoing, and talks of extending the search area further from that being searched.
    Suggested at least another year to search the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

kippy wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32331650
    Search is ongoing, and talks of extending the search area further from that being searched.
    Suggested at least another year to search the area.

Australia said middle of last year they expect to spend 90mil over 2 years looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

bodhi085 wrote: »
    So in the 13 months since the plane disappeared, and the people who claim that they witnessed a plane in that area at the time of the disappearance,who in turn want authorities to go to the island because they believe the plane crashed there,why doesn't someone with a boat,sail to this island,recover a small bit of wreckage and take it to the authorities to prove they are right. In 13 months not one single person has been bothered to do that.

Regardless Lad The Plane will be found sometime this year in some part of The Indian Ocean Be it be South or North it will be found and I know this.

Australia said middle of last year they expect to spend 90mil over 2 years looking.

The plane will be found as the right correct ocean is been searched. The pilot was the most likely cause of the plane ending up in the Indian Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Send on the lotto numbers there as well Stevie, good man.

• Advertisement

hefferboi wrote: »
    Send on the lotto numbers there as well Stevie, good man.

No Need to get smart about it Hefferboi. I am certain the plane will be found this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

No Need to get smart about it Hefferboi. I am certain the plane will be found this year.

Do you think it will be intact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

and I know this.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

You can only be certain about something if you possess evidence that shows what you're saying is likely to occur.

Where is your evidence?

You can only be certain about something if you possess evidence that shows what you're saying is likely to occur.

Where is your evidence?

The Malaysian Government confirmed the plane crashed into the Indian Ocean so its there someplace weather Ye believe it or not. I mean before I had taught it crashed into the South China Sea but They clearly said the Indian Ocean was the crash site. Hope about I ask ye where is the plane located in yer opinion? Its not landed so where is it lads ?

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Do you think it will be intact?

Well If the pilot landing the plane in the water then yes it would be intact but if the plane plunged into the ocean after running out of fuel like they are saying then no it would not be intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Well If the pilot landing the plane in the water then yes it would be intact but if the plane plunged into the ocean after running out of fuel like they are saying then no it would not be intact.

Well talk about stating the obvious. I asked whether you thought it was intact or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Well If the pilot landing the plane in the water then yes it would be intact

So much garbage coming from your keyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Well If the pilot landing the plane in the water then yes it would be intact

Have a look at this video and see if it changes your opinion, remembering that this was a coastal water landing and not ocean.

Water is extremely unforgiving, as a trained float plane pilot, the impact of landing on water is the same as landing on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

smurfjed wrote: »
    Have a look at this video and see if it changes your opinion, remembering that this was a coastal water landing and not ocean.

Water is extremely unforgiving, as a trained float plane pilot, the impact of landing on water is the same as landing on land.

That Ethiopian water landing still gives me shivers, it was horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I know its a red top rag but thought I would post anyways

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/mh370-found-wreckage-located-ocean-5570314

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

billie1b wrote: »
    I know its a red top rag but thought I would post anyways

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/mh370-found-wreckage-located-ocean-5570314

What a horrible toerag, looking to profit from this. Crowdfunding my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

About debris (or lack thereof) :
    Further suspicion mounted today (19 March) over whether the £90m official search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the Indian Ocean was in the right place when rubbish collectors said they have found nothing resembling any debris from the airliner.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported 27 people scoured a 60-mile stretch of ocean on fishing boats from Low Rocky Point in New Zealand to the mouth of Port Davey off the coast of Tasmania over eight days as part of their annual clear-up.

Their efforts are significant as they picked 80,000 pieces of debris that had drifted 6,000 miles across the ocean – with objects like ropes and floats – coming as far away as Madagascar and South Africa.

"We found a roll of tape from Madagascar that's from a vanilla bean manufacturer," said expedition leader Matt Dell."We found a bit of stuff from Africa washing around. We found a drift card from Durban (South Africa) that's like a fish tag - oh, and a set of dolls' plastic shoes." He added plastic bottles were among the most commonly washed up items.

But no debris has emerged from the missing plane.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-no-sign-missing-plane-rubbish-collectors-find-debris-far-search-1492754

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Doesn't mean much really. I was looking at ocean current maps last year trying to figure out where floating debris could go if the plane had went down in the area being searched, and it seemed the most likely direction was roughly north into the Indian Ocean gyre. That would be taking it away from Tasmania or New Zealand. The story mentions debris from Africa being found and there are actually currents which would cause that.
    Just on the story itself, it says, "27 people scoured a 60-mile stretch of ocean on fishing boats from Low Rocky Point in New Zealand to the mouth of Port Davey off the coast of Tasmania over eight days". Its actually around 1,000 miles from Port Davey to the closest point in New Zealand. 27 people seaching for a week could only have covered a tiny fraction of the area, and found a miniscule amount of the debris thats out there.
    So in my amatuer opinion, too few searchers in too big an area , and a fair chance that MH370 debris would not have found it's way to the area anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

The hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has discovered an uncharted shipwreck in the southern Indian Ocean.
    Peter Foley, who heads the search team, said the find was "fascinating... But it's not what we're looking for".
    However, he said the find showed that if the flight was in the search area, it would be discovered.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32719284

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

At least this shows that if they are in the right place they will find the plane, they wont miss it due to a wide debris field or otherwise.

I wonder would the shipwreck be worth investigating for 'plunder', might help fund the search if there was anything there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

At least this shows that if they are in the right place they will find the plane, they wont miss it due to a wide debris field or otherwise.

I wonder would the shipwreck be worth investigating for 'plunder', might help fund the search if there was anything there.

Unless it was something like the SS Central America, I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

smurfjed wrote: »

Im not a pilot but that landing seems like a terrrible effort to me. Surely landing wings level would have been a far more sensible approach.
    I do remember from the time that an attempt was made to bring the plane as near to shore as possible for rescue purposes and as such the turn was attempted as late as possible and obviously without power you have little say in your decent rate but still I would have thought wings level would no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

mickdw wrote: »
    Im not a pilot but that landing seems like a terrrible effort to me. Surely landing wings level would have been a far more sensible approach.

but still I would have thought wings level would no brainer.

There were 3 hijackers on board and the co pilot was removed from the cockpit.
    According to the Pilot (who survived) he was fighting with one of the hijackers while trying to ditch parallel to the shore.

Growler!!! wrote: »
    There were 3 hijackers on board and the co pilot was removed from the cockpit.
    According to the Pilot (who survived) he was fighting with one of the hijackers while trying to ditch parallel to the shore.

Yep, all things considered he did as much as he could in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kippy wrote: »
    Yep, all things considered he did as much as he could in the circumstances.

Ah yes if he was under pressure to that extent, it was a fair effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thread bump as wreckage may have been found

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33707445

Potential breakthrough on this:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/airplane-debris-found-in-indian-ocean-speculation-that-it-may-be-from-missing-malaysian-airlines-flight-688812.html
    Debris, which appears to be from an airplane, has been found in the Indian Ocean today.
    Although it is too soon to say, it is speculated that it could be from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared on March 8, 2014.
    The debris, which looks like it may be part of an airplane wing, was found off Reunion Island, near Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.

CNN analysts have said that the debris may be part of a Boeing 777, and if that turns out to be the case, the debris would likely be from MH370.
    Investigators will have to follow various potential leads to verify whether the debris is indeed from the missing plane.
    Experts had previously calculated that the plane would eventually have gone down in the Southern Indian Ocean, after is mysteriously veered off course before disappearing last year.
    KEYWORDS: Malaysia Airlines, MH370, debris

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Going by the photos, the chord is way too small to be from a large passenger plane aerofoil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

CNN analysts...

Advertisement