Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

I can't believe sky and the rest aren't going crazy on this story.

I'm no marine biologist but would a piece of wreckage really gather that many shells while floating on top of the ocean? Although it could've been sitting on the shore for months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jimbis wrote: »
    I can't believe sky and the rest aren't going crazy on this story.

I'm no marine biologist but would a piece of wreckage really gather that many shells while floating on top of the ocean? Although it could've been sitting on the shore for months...

I thought it would be breaking news / news flash etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

tl;dr

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Picture suggests it was controlled into the sea somewhat if its mh370.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Report of a suitcase being found in the same area
    Ce matin, une valise a été retrouvée par des emplois verts à Saint-André, au même endroit où a été découvert le morceau d’aile d’avion hier matin.

This morning, a suitcase was found by green jobs in Saint-André, in the same place where a piece of an aeroplane wing was discovered yesterday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Peppa Pig wrote: »

Its a large suitcase that has metal parts on it that are rusted due to being in the water so long, the case is locked but they are investigating into it further. They returned to the area where the part of the plane was found and found the case a few meters away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui wrote: »
    Going by the photos, the chord is way too small to be from a large passenger plane aerofoil.

Looks like I was wrong. C4 reports it is almost certainly a flaperon from a 777, and there is only one suspect for a loss of one of those in the Indian ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

It defellty is from MH370 and if the suitcase was found in the same spot then it is from doomed MH370.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

As somebody said on the radio though, although it finally confirms the worst, it probably won't help in locating the crash site.

It defellty is from MH370 and if the suitcase was found in the same spot then it is from doomed MH370.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    As somebody said on the radio though, although it finally confirms the worst, it probably won't help in locating the crash site.

Is that your opinions or has it been confirmed as being from MH370?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Synode wrote: »
    Is that your opinions or has it been confirmed as being from MH370?

Sorry: will rewrite, 'If it is confirmed to be from MH370, although it will finally confirm the worst it probably wont help in locating the crash site'

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Twitter pic showing B777 inboard flaperon drawing with part found:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PeurAvion/status/626391215349612544

Avherald.com reports that location is not unexpected given the drift models from suspected crash site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

surely if there should be a trail of debris now to find, though of course the actual body of the plane itself is probably 2000+ miles away.

I dont think so, I think the aircraft is in and around the area of Reunion and the Maldives islands, for some reason I think the are searching the totally wrong place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

billie1b wrote: »
    I dont think so, I think the aircraft is in and around the area of Reunion and the Maldives islands, for some reason I think the are searching the totally wrong place

Why do you think that?
    It goes against all known facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

You heading out to tell them your reason they are searching the wrong area, how did you come up with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

was there not something about this at some point ages ago? That witnesses saw a low fying plane that night in the Maldives? memory hazy but think it was that area

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Why do you think that?
    It goes against all known facts.

They're not really known facts, they went with a method that was never used to find an aircraft before. Suppose we'll see when its eventually found, I could be totally wrong, usually I am

They're not really known facts, they went with a method that was never used to find an aircraft before. Suppose we'll see when its eventually found, I could be totally wrong, usually I am

What method have you used to come up with "the area of Reunion and the Maldives islands"

There are know facts about certain points on the airplanes trajectory, the fuel level of the plane, environmental conditions, range of the plane etc
    They've used a method of pulling everything together to come up with the most probably search area (Granted thousands of square miles)
    The method used all of the knowns to try pin down an unknown.

kippy wrote: »
    There are know facts about certain points on the airplanes trajectory, the fuel level of the plane, environmental conditions, range of the plane etc
    They've used a method of pulling everything together to come up with the most probably search area (Granted thousands of square miles)
    The method used all of the knowns to try pin down an unknown.

Its still not a known fact that the aircraft is there, they still used a system that they never used before, its not 100% fact until the aircraft is found and then they can say the system worked. Other posters dont have to be smart about it, there was witnesses that reported seeing a low flying plane, a couple on a yacht that said they seen one too and fishermen, all in the are of the maldives and their accounts were brushed off as if it were nothing. I still think it warrants a search of that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Its still not a known fact that the aircraft is there, they still used a system that they never used before, its not 100% fact until the aircraft is found and then they can say the system worked. Other posters dont have to be smart about it, there was witnesses that reported seeing a low flying plane, a couple on a yacht that said they seen one too and fishermen, all in the are of the maldives and their accounts were brushed off as if it were nothing. I still think it warrants a search of that area.

And how much time and money would go into such a search when all the the known facts point to the search area being elsewhere?
    It's a known fact that the most likely place for the airplane to be is where the cold hard data points to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Suitcases would be in the LD containers* so it'd be an extreme coincidence for one of them to have burst and part of a case to have drifted the exact same way.

*unless you can bulk load a 777? I'd hope not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I still think it warrants a search of that area.
    Who's gonna pay for it though (another huge search area)? This searching business doesn't come cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The Maldives are over three thousand kilometres north east of Réunion. Hardly what you might call an 'area'.

You can see it here:

356770.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

There are barnacles on the piece of wreckage found, this suggests it spent a long time drifting before landing on this beach, as they look well grown, which suggests it drifted from far away.

I would go with what the expert investigators are saying, rather than anything else.

Advertisement