Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

But it was largely met with criticism from pilots.

You'd wonder why, most pilots do an extremely good job, so I doubt they would be intimidated by it - However I suppose if someone told me we're going to put a camera on you every-time you work, I would be less then impressed haha!
    would the passengers pass out , due to oxygen/cabin pressure loss? apologies if this is a stupid question!

Not a stupid question, I believe the BEA investigators who were in charge of investigating the crash of Air France 447, believed none of the passengers would have known what was going on and would all have been killed on impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Jack1985 wrote: »

Not a stupid question, I believe the BEA investigators who were in charge of investigating the crash of Air France 447, believed none of the passengers would have known what was going on and would all have been killed on impact.

Really? i thought that took a straight dive? surely they would of noticed/terrifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Still a great thread in the sad circumstances of lives lost. RIP.

But I must admit its one of the most intriguing cases in many years as I think we all expected the wreckage to show up a lot quicker. Bar speculation, which can be interesting, we are all lost as to the facts and this thread can't move forward until some detail is provided, that is based on facts.

I stepped out for some vino tonight and was flabbergasted when I got into a conversation with some Pilots (won't name the airline and I live in an area that is a base for a few) and they were talking about UFOs beaming the aircraft up! Strange **** and very disrespectful, but kinda sums up an attitude of sorts. Personally and I'm not an aviator, I cling to the reality that this catastrophe will be explained over time and if there's anything different, it can be remedied in order to make air travel safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

You'd wonder why, most pilots do an extremely good job, so I doubt they would be intimidated by it - However I suppose if someone told me we're going to put a camera on you every-time you work, I would be less then impress haha!

I believe the main criticism was from US ALPA in regard to people seeing footage of their loved ones last moments. In fairness you'd need a lot of cameras and storage space to cover all angles in a flight deck to catch everything a pilot does.

Really? i thought that took a straight dive? surely they would of noticed/terrifying?

I believe AF447 stalled and hit the Ocean slightly angled nose-up, so other than maybe g-forces that's all they would have felt, stand to be corrected though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I believe AF447 stalled and hit the Ocean slightly angled nose-up, so other than maybe g-forces that's all they would have felt, stand to be corrected though.

cool thanks - makes me somewhat happy that the people on board didn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

It will be bright in the South China sea in a couple of hours. After a day of nothing but speculation hopefully we will have some real news through the night.
    Those boats should be soon at Tho Chu island after the Vietnamese plane saw debris there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Morpork wrote: »
    Did anything come of this?
    Vessel "Mianyang" is expected to reach the suspected waters by 7:30 a.m. Monday while "Jinggangshan" may arrive by 10:00 a.m.

Its just after 6:45 now so the first vessel wont arrive for about another hour.

Also...
    A large oil slick stretching 100 nautical miles was found near Tok Bali, Kelantan Sunday by Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency, and chemical test has been done with no result has been published.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2014-03/10/c_126241872.htm

The link contains info on other vessels China is planing to send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

What's the radar coverage of this area like? There seems to uncertainty as to where the plane actually was and whether it had turned.

I presume that this is due to poor English:

"What we have done is actually look into the recording on the radar that we have and we realised there is a possibility the aircraft did make a turnback," Rodzali Daud, the Royal Malaysian Air Force chief, told reporters at a news conference.

Would have thought it was the first thing they did!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    It will be bright in the South China sea in a couple of hours. After a day of nothing but speculation hopefully we will have some real news through the night.
    Those boats should be soon at Tho Chu island after the Vietnamese plane saw debris there.

Its bright in like ten minutes...

• Advertisement

According to the WSJ it looks very likely that the wreckage has been found;
    The fragments were believed to be a composite inner door and a piece of the plane's tail, Vietnam's ministry of information and communication said on its website. The objects were located about 50 miles south-southwest of Tho Chu island.

Very good article http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304732804579427991198487418

According to the WSJ it looks very likely that the wreckage has been found;

Very good article http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304732804579427991198487418

I believe those are the objects that were spotted hours ago, the plan is to recover them during daylight.
    Tho Chu Island

The island is part of a small archipelago off the south-western tip of Vietnam, and lies northeast of Malaysia's capital Kuala Lumpur, from where Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 left early Saturday bound for Beijing.

"As it is night they cannot fish them out for proper identification. They have located the position of the areas and flown back to land," the Vietnamese official added.

Planes and boats would be sent back to the area Monday to investigate further,he said.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/possible-debris-from/1026488.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

any sign of boeing or either airports putting in extra precautions or searches ?

i mean i wouldn't mind having boeing doing safety checks, tests before putting them all back in the air again,

or airports putting extra measures in place to prevent terrorism ?

flights just seem to be operating in and out like normal ?

I know i wouldn't be comfortable at all over there in either airport..

RTE have just reported the following - very interesting development;
    Officials investigating the disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines plane suspect it may have disintegrated in mid-flight, a source has said, as Vietnam reported a possible sighting of wreckage.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0309/601035-malaysia-airline/

And the front page of the Times in the UK has a source from the FBI saying there are strong fears the aircraft was blown out of the sky :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

i mean i wouldn't mind having boeing doing safety checks, tests before putting them all back in the air again,

They can't do safety checks when they don't know what they're checking for.
    or airports putting extra measures in place to prevent terrorism ?
    There were some reports of ramping up security.

Its sunrise about now in Malaysia and Vietnam so the recovery of those objects spotted yesterday should begin soon I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

any sign of boeing or either airports putting in extra precautions or searches ?

Checks for what? They don't know what happened

Security checks on what? They don't know if anything untoward in that area happened. Passport numbers are meant to be checked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Any chance of some good news guys? Really want some good news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

You'd wonder why, most pilots do an extremely good job, so I doubt they would be intimidated by it - However I suppose if someone told me we're going to put a camera on you every-time you work, I would be less then impressed haha!

Found this

After a while, [Dr. Francisco Sarmento, the doctor who presided over the Flight 447 autopsies], flipped off the projector and pushed away from the table in his chair. "Ninety percent of the passengers had fractures in the arms and legs," he said. "Many of them also had trauma in the chest, in the abdomen, in the cranium. We didn't find anybody burned." He leaned forward in his seat and wrapped his arms around his knees. "They were like this," he said, holding the crash position and looking into my eyes. Then he sat up quickly and held his hand flat above the table. "When they hit," he said, slamming it down, "fractures. I believe the pilot tried to land in the water. This is consistent with the fractures. But when the bodies arrived, the lungs were already in a state of decomposition. We didn't have conditions to see if anyone drowned." This hung in the air for a moment as I considered what he was suggesting. "So it's possible that some of them were still alive?" I asked. Sarmento nodded. "Most died on impact," he said. "Some could have survived."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

don't know what to make of this
    https://twitter.com/iamryanodonnell/status/442810154229432320/photo/1

Not entirely surprised European passports might not be checked as Europeans in Asia more likely to be treated as well off tourists/businessmen.
    Probably are more concerned with emigration control for Indonesians/Chinese.
    If the passport is not machine readable they probably aren't likely to type in every passport number to check.

Showed the real Italian passport holder on news (wearing a Murphy tshirt)
    Woman at a motorbike rental shop in Phuket where he gave his passport for collateral had told him she gave his passport to another man who said Mr Maraldi was his “husband” and he had to get a temporary travel document to go home.

I know someone who came to Dublin a few years ago and never had his passport checked in the airport, simply waved through even though he wasn't EU.

Apparently over 30 million lost /stolen passports are on recorded on the Interpol list

• Advertisement

Makes somber reading.
    Malaysia's state news agency quoted Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi as saying the passengers using the stolen European passports were of Asian appearance, and criticising border officials who let them through.

"I am still perturbed. Can't these immigration officials think? Italian and Austrian (passport holders) but with Asian faces," he was quoted as saying.

Nearly 48 hours after the last contact with Flight MH370, mystery still surrounded its fate.

Malaysia's air force chief said the Beijing-bound airliner, which was carrying 239 people, may have turned back from its scheduled route before it vanished from radar screens.

"The fact that we are unable to find any debris so far appears to indicate that the aircraft is likely to have disintegrated at around 35,000 feet," a source involved in the investigations in Malaysia told Reuters.

If the plane had plunged intact from close to its cruising altitude, breaking up only on impact with the water, search teams would have expected to find a fairly concentrated pattern of debris, said the source, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to discuss the investigation publicly.

Asked about the possibility of an explosion, such as a bomb, the source said there was no evidence yet of foul play and that the aircraft could have broken up due to mechanical causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

"I am still perturbed. Can't these immigration officials think? Italian and Austrian (passport holders) but with Asian faces," he was quoted as saying..

Imagine that - as asian looking person with an Italian passport. Surely that could never happen.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Imagine that - as asian looking person with an Italian passport. Surely that could never happen.

Seems there were a few ''smoking'' something whilst on duty at immigration that night. :eek:

Makes somber reading.
    That might seem a racist suggestion here, but Malaysian passports/ID record ethnicity.
    Not sure if that suggests they would be more likely to check, but as Malaysia is fairly strict on its own citizens not allowing dual passports, it does seem remiss in that context. Lets say they wouldn't be too concerned about insulting someone with the question. And they carry guns iirc.

Analysis of oil slick samples found in hunt for missing jet expected to completed by Monday afternoon

http://my.news.yahoo.com/samples-oil-slick-sent-chemistry-department-bernama-230415109.html

The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) has sent samples of an oil slick (pic) found in the South China Sea, about 100 nautical miles from the Tok Bali Beach, Kelantan, to the Chemistry Department in Petaling Jaya.

Seems there were a few ''smoking'' something whilst on duty at immigration that night. :eek:
    very unlikely considering the death penalty for drugs is the last announcement you get as you land in KL. Zero tolerance policy.

wil wrote: »
    very unlikely considering the death penalty for drugs is the last announcement you get as you land in KL. Zero tolerance policy.

I was eluding to how they could allow them through, not actually accusing them of doing drugs ha.

I was eluding to how they could allow them through, not actually accusing them of doing drugs ha.
    I know, my reply still stands, zero tolerance policy is on both sides of the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Your "new" here read through the warnings on thread
    wil wrote: »
    What has this got to do with the topic? also read said warnings on the thread

Back on topic before the month bans are handed out.

Advertisement