Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

What about the pictures on the passports?

It may not be the original picture. Some older passports can have the original photo removed and a new one inserted by a skilled forger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Perhaps the photographs were changed?

Whatever else about immigration officials and procedures, they usually take a good look at the photo I find.

Well into day three now and absolutely zero sign or clue of what happened this plane despite an extensive search. Its absolutely horrendous and beyond belief ��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just watching air crash investigation on nat geo.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_611

That's the flight in question.

Flight recorder has everyone calm and then a loud crash and recording ended. It disintegrated mid air.

Loss of contact, disappeared off radar in a similar fashion to what we're seeing with this flight.

Turned out to be a maintenance issue. They had lots of theories similar to what's happening now including terrorism.

Thinking aloud, I wonder would crowdsourcing be useful here. Take satellite imagery for example. Divide it into grid squares and get general public to scan for debris each taking separate grid squares. Could conceivably cover wide area very quickly. would have lots of problems of course,and not as reliable as Prof. search and rescue.. But...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

fits wrote: »
    Thinking aloud, I wonder would crowdsourcing be useful here. Take satellite imagery for example. Divide it into grid squares and get general public to scan for debris each taking separate grid squares. Could conceivably cover wide area very quickly. would have lots of problems of course,and not as reliable as Prof. search and rescue.. But...

The NTSB, AAIB and more which have huge experience in this area are involved, you can't get much more qualified people then them in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Back to work.... have to unfollow this thread for productivity reasons. Hopefully there will be some positive news in the next 24 hours.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    The NTSB, AAIB and more which have huge experience in this area are involved, you can't get much more qualified people then them in my opinion.

I'm not questioning their qualifications. Scanning imagery takes a lot of time and it would be one way to get more man hours available to them.

I'm not questioning their qualifications. Scanning imagery takes a lot of time and it would be one way to get more man hours available to them.

Getting the imagery in the first place takes a lot of time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Sky news report that they have spotted a yellow object and the Vietnamese are sending helicopters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Breaking on Sky News a "yellow object" possibly a life-raft or life vest has been spotted, helicopters en-route to the location. It could have just inflated in the crash, let's just pray someone's in side lads :(

irishmover wrote: »
    Getting the imagery in the first place takes a lot of time too.

well that's probably true. I don't know how quickly the imagery can be collected.

well that's probably true. I don't know how quickly the imagery can be collected.

I did remote sensing in Uni. Not highly educated on 'how quick' satellites can be diverted from their original project path, but there's more that goes on that just take a few snaps and put them on flickr like we'd do with our iPhone.

Data processing takes time.

I'd hazard a guess that airborne imagery would be smarter if they were going to go that route. Infact I'd hope they'd have deployed this technology. As there are a number of airborne imagery companies in Asia and the turnover would be relatively quick, even though the subject area is massive.

but there's more that goes on that just take a few snaps and put them on flickr like we'd do with our iPhone.

Oh really.. Who would have thought....

I would imagine satellite imagery can be collected much much quicker than orthophotography, but since I have mostly worked with orthophotography on the analysis side of things I simply don't know how quickly it can be done. Would imagine US at least have satellites with high capabilities in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

China probably has plenty of eyes in the sky over that area as does the US, possibly South Korea, probably France, possibly Russia.

I doubt anyone will talk about it though. Information will just get quietly passed on.

They're all more likely to be focused on military reconnaissance though. So maybe more likely to be over say North Korea then that far south.

I'm not sure how long it would take to move them.

Don't really want to go off topic any further but I'll just say last I had done research on this was 3 years ago so I'm not completely up to speed.

But this should explain things better than I ever could.

http://www.satimagingcorp.com/characterization-of-satellite-remote-sensing-systems.html
    To get the spatial resolution necessary to distinguish debris with Ocean would mean it would take time to capture high quality data which would enable us to see the debris.

Along with the data processing as mentioned already. Looking at the weeks category assuming one of the high spatial resolution satellites can collect the data immediately.

I have my doubts it really takes weeks for the US in particular. Just dump the data into one of the US' massive data centre setups.

These organisations have huge processing power. They're highly unlikely to talk about it though.

Whether they'd make that available to a search and rescue operation, where the likelihood of survivors is very slim, is another question.

You could be diverting resources that are protecting lives elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Vietnam rescue team says 'yellow object' floating at sea found not to be a plane life raft, civil aviation body reports

Just two hours left of airborne search time today and conditions forecast to deteriorate tonight. This is looking really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Im not an expert in anyway...just interested in this horrible story thats emerging and this great thread. But ive a question for those of you in the know and it maybe a stupid one. I think its very odd that no debris or sign of the plane has been found yet in that area...is there a way all radar transmissions, signals etc from the plane could be manually switched off by someone who for whatever reason didnt want the plane to be tracked? Either on ground or onboard? what im really asking is could the plane have flown somewhere else and crashed without anyone knowing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

I think its very odd that no debris or sign of the plane has been found yet in that area...is there a way all radar transmissions, signals etc from the plane could be manually switched off by someone who for whatever reason didnt want the plane to be tracked? Either on ground or onboard? what im really asking is could the plane have flown somewhere else and crashed without anyone knowing?

There's 2 types of radar, primary, secondary and ADS-B could be considered a 3rd.

Secondary works through the aircrafts onboard transponder. The radar head interrogates it and it sends back the aircrafts ID, callsign, speed, altitude etc. If the transponder is switched off in the cockpit, then ATC will lose this data.

Primary is old fashioned radar. The spinning radar head on the ground sending out waves which are reflected from the target back to the radar head. All this will show on the controllers screen is a target with no identification. Therefore, this cannot be switched off from the plane as it's a function of ATC. Below a certain altitude, the primary return may be lost due to terrain, ground clutter etc. It's basically line-of-sight.

They're going to have to bring in even more resources to search.

Any idea what the sea bed is like?

I'm wondering if it went in nose first could it be embedded in sand below and very intact or maybe in several large pieces?

If it had disintegrated in the air, surely there would be a pretty visible scattered debris field?

Could it have disintegrated over dense forest ? Although it would seem unlikely that there is anywhere around there that isolated or uninhabited.

If it were scattered around in a densely vegetated area, it might not be visible.

Or maybe in a muddy place like swamplands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're going to have to bring in even more resources to search.

Any idea what the sea bed is like?

I'm wondering if it went in nose first could it be embedded in sand below and very intact or maybe in several large pieces?

If it had disintegrated in the air, surely there would be a pretty visible scattered debris field?

Could it have disintegrated over dense forest ? Although it would seem unlikely that there is anywhere around there that isolated or uninhabited.

If it were scattered around in a densely vegetated area, it might not be visible.

Not an expert at all but it fell from 35,000 feet it is not going to be anyway intact if it hit the sea from that altitude. It would be the equivalent of hitting the ground.

I think they will find a wreckage after time but it is a big sea and a small plane in comparison. It will take time.

Im coming round to the hijack theory. I know the search area is massive but this is taking way too long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Malaysia police chief says one of the stolen passport users on missing Malaysia Airlines plane has been identified - SKY

Malaysia says one of two men who boarded MH370 flight with stolen passports is a non-Malaysian

Warning of 'possible terrorist attack on China' received by Taiwan days before MH370 vanished.

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1445314/warning-possible-terrorist-attack-china-received-taiwan-days-malaysia
    security chiefs were believed to have received the alert from China Airlines, following a phone call to the company earlier in the day, from a man speaking in French who claimed he wanted to warn of possible terrorist activity.

China Airlines today confirmed that a call was received on March 4 and said information received had been passed to Taiwan's Civil Aviation Authority and Aviation Police.

Im coming round to the hijack theory. I know the search area is massive but this is taking way too long now.

You can't realistically hide a 777 from radar though. It seems highly unlikely. Even with radio silence, it would be picked up in the air. That's a fairly busy part of the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Seems quite plausible at this stage. I would love to know how many ships were in the area at the time the flight supposedly went down because there were none whatsoever last night around that time. As I said before longer it drags on the stranger it gets and there is a growing feeling that the Malaysian government are holding a lot of information back.

I wonder if these China martyrs brigade was all bollox or not. Don't think they're being taken seriously.

Yeah but it would be impossible to fly a large airliner in anyone's airspace without permission and identification! You'd have them scrambling fighters if a mysterious unidentified large aircraft were detected...

Also they'd know there was only 1 missing 777.

It's not like stealing a car and they're not capable of stealth!

• Advertisement

I wonder if these China martyrs brigade was all bollox or not. Don't think they're being taken seriously.

They don't seem to be. That's the other issue: lots of organisations may try to use it for publicity and you'll even get various unhinged people claiming it for attention.

Anything is possible though.

Advertisement