Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Just thinking, a lot of people are dismissing the bomb theory due to nobody claiming it, however one would assume they would only ''claim'' it when they see their target destroyed or tbh whatever other reason those freaks need to claim. It's nearly sunset in Malaysia now, its more than likely looking like we are heading into what will be day 4 with absolutely nothing! You can imagine how painstaking this is for the investigators, never mind the families alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Malaysian authorities have described this incident as an "unprecedented aviation mystery".

I haven't read every one of the 842 posts in this thread so far (for obvious reasons) so I don't know whether the above claim might have been discussed.

What are the unique characteristics of this hull loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i dont think it was hijacked, i think it exploded in mid air and this will be down to a maintenance issue.

it just doesnt bare the hallmark of a hijack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's a very big search area though.

As for the terrorism claims, I wouldn't rule it out but I wouldn't jump to conclusions either.

Chinese media is also highly controlled so it's not like getting information here or in the US.

Even the internet in China is heavily filtered.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Malaysian authorities have described this incident as an "unprecedented aviation mystery".

I haven't read every one of the 842 posts in this thread so far (for obvious reasons) so I don't know whether the above claim might have been discussed.

What are the unique characteristics of this hull loss?

So far all I know is;

It departed 16:41 GMT and was off radar at 17:22 GMT - With the last information before it disappearing of being just past the waypoint IGARI and its altitude being 35,000ft, speed 472kts. There were passengers with two stolen passports onboard, two more being investigated.

There are no real unique characteristics as we have no factual information yet to understand even if it is a hull loss even though we presume it is.

Interesting theory though, the Malaysians are saying it might have made a possible turn-back I reject that (In my opinion!),

Do people not remember flightradar saying the altitude dropped off and the heading change almost 80 degrees before it went offline? Suggesting to me she was breaking up coupled with no alarming ACARS prior to it disappearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This is the Nat Geo episode of Aircrash Investigation I watched earlier.

I suggest anyone interested in this to give it a watch if you get a chance (45 mins long). This has made me think that something similar could have occurred, however it would have had to happen in half the time than the China Airlines crash in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOljI6ZecE

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its shocking that the two search areas are so far apart, it looks like the centers of them are about 400 miles away and are separated by land.

how on earth do they not know where the plane was before it lost contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

Looks like the media have now stopped calling it a structural failure as I commented about before

They are going down the route of terrorism/Hijacking now

how on earth do they not know where the plane was before it lost contact?

They do know its last known position but, if crashed at sea it will drift so it could be anywhere - I think we all underestimate how big of a world we live in, I definately have!

No radar data for a while and a plane cruising along at 560mph. It'll cover a lot of distance!

• Advertisement

Blue Punto wrote: »
    Looks like the media have now stopped calling it a structural failure as I commented about before

They are going down the route of terrorism/Hijacking now

The media likes a good drama!

I'm not saying that they aren't possibly right, but drama sells. Discussions about system failures and radar systems don't.

They're mostly bored with Ukraine's stand off. So this will get huge coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Iwannahurl wrote: »

it says in that report that 5 passengers checked in then did not board the flight. How usual is that? i can understand that airlines have people not turning up at all but checking in processing your luggage and then not boarding. They are very lucky people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I wonder were they connecting passengers?

Jimjay wrote: »
    it says in that report that 5 passengers checked in then did not board the flight. How usual is that? i can understand that airlines have people not turning up at all but checking in processing your luggage and then not boarding. They are very lucky people.

Quite usual from my own background, there baggage was offloaded by law which we are required to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A long time now without any concrete evidence. They still haven't answered a few questions it seems. Where was the flight's last known position from the ACARS info and how far it had gone after last radar contact. It still puzzles that the other flight made radio contact some time after last radar sight at which stage they said the plane had turned.
    Is it possible for the ELTs to be disintegrated from a midair disintegration or explosion?
    And how are these signals then picked up? Can a plane high up pick them up or does it have to be very close to the position to pick up the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

If the plane exploded in mid air then there would be a huge debris field and they would have found something by now.
    My hunch is that the plane hit the water in tact. I would lean towards a hijacking gone wrong for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been on a few narrowbody flights where more than one has been offloaded, so 5 on a widebody wouldn't be out of the question - but it would be rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

large area of debri seen 60 km south east of vung tao outside search area, but close to planned route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Not unusual in the slightest. It's amazing how many people disappear between check in and the boarding gate.

• Advertisement

but it would be rare.

All I can go on is my own experience but last Tuesday, one of our flights had 8 missing passengers who were checked in although online and none of them had baggage and they are great days!
    Where was the flight's last known position from the ACARS info

I don't believe it transmits such data, it is very technical/mechanical information I've been told.

Not unusual in the slightest. It's amazing how many people disappear between check in and the boarding gate.

Less unusual when you're talking about higher price tickets with flexibility too or passengers with huge expense accounts.

We tend to think in terms of fights we have to pay for or tightly controlled expense accounting systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Mr.S wrote: »
    You'd be amazed at how many people loose track of time shopping etc and don't pay attention to announcements!

thanks :-) if thats the case then they must be feeling extremely lucky.

You also have the % of bewildered types who won't find the gate or will end up asleep or drunk in the terminal too.

I know one guy who was having lunch in LHR T5 while his fight was departing in T3…

He checked in in T3 and went to T5 thinking that's how it worked!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

fits wrote: »
    large area of debri seen 60 km south east of vung tao outside search area, but close to planned route.

Any source for this? Here's hoping.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You also have the % of bewildered types who won't find the gate or will end up asleep or drunk in the terminal too.

Fridays and Sundays haha and in the Summer nearly most days, its like feeding time at the zoo some days, I think the environment intimidates some people for some reason.

Any source for this? Here's hoping.

saw it on pprune post 1319 but can't find another source. On phone so can't link. Seems kosher.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Fridays and Sundays haha and in the Summer nearly most days, its like feeding time at the zoo some days, I think the environment intimidates some people for some reason.

Assuming common sense is 'common' is a BIG mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Malaysian official says oil slick found in the sea is not from missing Malaysia Airlines plane - SKY

• Advertisement

Jack1985 wrote: »

I missed a flight in January by going to wrong gate. D'oh

Advertisement