Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Calina wrote: »
    No ACARS messages signalling any abnormalities.

For me, the big anomaly is there was no anomalies - THAT is the anomaly.

A plane disappears and system says everythings fine.
    Other than a massive explosion taking out all essential systems before the next signal is due, there seems to be no plausible explanation for events as known.

Everyone keeps referring to AF447 as being very similar.
    But in so many ways it isn't.

It happened in as remote a place as is possible on the planet
    SAR and recovery was always going to take a long time, it was so remote, probably an order of magnitude greater than MH. But location didn't take so much longer despite the logistics.

And sounds like there was plenty of anomalous info from their systems. It didn't just disappear.

Perhaps it would be useful to consider more similar type incidents and see do they give clues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Have there been similar crashes like this before or is this one unusual? How long does it normally take to locate a plane or parts of a plane at sea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

On the Mirror.....

Apparently 19 families are now saying that phones of their loved ones are ringing...

Well that's damn odd, is it possible that it got hijacked and flown to some remote location without being spotted? Also if the phones are on can they not see which mast they are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I doubt that's really the case. I would have thought it's relatively easy to identify the cell tower connected to any active phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

No ACARS messages, perhaps indicating that the it was a sudden failure.
    The Malaysian passenger jet that disappeared on Saturday did not make automatic contact with a flight data-monitoring system after vanishing from radar screens, two people familiar with the matter said.

The Boeing 777-200ER is equipped with a maintenance computer capable of talking to the ground automatically through short messages known as ACARS.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-live-3219331

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Wouldn't the phones be off now since it would run out of battery life after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Kalyke

If the phones were ringing they would be located in minutes not hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

wil wrote: »
    For me, the big anomaly is there was no anomalies - THAT is the anomaly.

A plane disappears and system says everythings fine.
    Other than a massive explosion taking out all essential systems before the next signal is due, there seems to be no plausible explanation for events as known.

Everyone keeps referring to AF447 as being very similar.
    But in so many ways it isn't.

It happened in as remote a place as is possible on the planet
    SAR and recovery was always going to take a long time, it was so remote, probably an order of magnitude greater than MH. But location didn't take so much longer despite the logistics.

And sounds like there was plenty of anomalous info from their systems. It didn't just disappear.

Perhaps it would be useful to consider more similar type incidents and see do they give clues.

It seems to be forgotten that for AF447 they knew exactly where it hit the water yet it took six days to find the first confirmed debris. And in fact it was 2 bodies, not debris that was found first. The SAR vessels took two days to reach the exact spot and then 4 days to find any debris.

Now put that AF plane 11km in the air when it sent its last signal and it would have taken weeks to find debris.

And sorry to keep banging on about how difficult it is but I have worked a good bit offshore on rigs and subsea equipment and I know how difficult it is to locate anything at sea.

Kalyke wrote: »
    If the phones were ringing they would be located in minutes not hours?

I think that is if someone answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Similarities may be misleading. But there is more. The local time being another (midnight) mentioned on RTE radio today.

The Flightradar 24 log is interesting in that the last signals show a zero air speed. Maybe the experts will confirm that this has to be someting like a blocked pitot tube on a flying aircraft with working telemetry. Possibly with a very confused crew a la AF447

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    With no / limited use, phones can last quite a while.

But underwater? We have to assume the plane crashed at sea. If it didn't break up in the air it definitely did once it hit the ocean so I don't see how there could be air pockets on board where a phone could still be functioning.

I see some people speculating that perhaps the plane was flown to an undisclosed location without anyone noticing. That seems unlikely. I would have thought its pretty much impossible to just make a plane vanish like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Kalyke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

"To locate the phone using multilateration of radio signals, it must emit at least the roaming signal to contact the next nearby antenna tower, but the process does not require an active call"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

MadYaker wrote: »
    But underwater? We have to assume the plane crashed at sea. If it didn't break up in the air it definitely did once it hit the ocean so I don't see how there could be air pockets on board where a phone could still be functioning.

I see some people speculating that perhaps the plane was flown to an undisclosed location without anyone noticing. That seems unlikely. I would have thought its pretty much impossible to just make a plane vanish like that.
    so far, everything is unlikely, nobody got on that plane thinking anything other than landing in Beijing.

By ruling out the impossible, the improbable, however unlikely, may be the only answer.
    I think, without further indication, there shouldn't be too much weight placed on probabilities.

Possible wreckage sighting:
    Teams hunting for the Malaysia Airlines aircraft spotted what they believe to be a door and tail in the sea off Vietnam.

Officials said it was too dark to be certain the objects were from the Boeing aircraft that was carrying 239 people.

A source from the National Committee for Search and Rescue said: “As it is night they cannot fish them out for proper identification.

“They have located the position of the areas and flown back to the land.”

85383.jpg

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/368977/Terrorism-fears-grow-as-Malaysia-Airlines-missing-777-plane-wreckage-found

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any chance it crashed on land in some remote place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

With some speculation that the plane may have turned around and unverified claims of mobile phones ringing I wonder perhaps could it have made it back over land and then crashed in some of the rainforests in Malaysia. Perhaps the passengers phones survived the crash on land and were within reach of a cell tower and thus rang out. A small explosion may not down an airliner as was the case with Philippine Airlines Flight 434 which survived and made an emergency landing.

I'd hope the investigators have at least began to triangulate the passengers phone numbers which were on board to see if they are displaying near any cell tower on land.

I think they already confirmed this wasn't part of MH370.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

This was spotted on Sunday evening by a plane. Boats have not been able to locate it.

Here is the search zone:

BiXhKYFCAAI19bJ.png

The search area has been widened further to include part of the strait of Malacca and a larger section of the South China Sea. China has dispatched more ships to the area, and sent officials to Kuala Lumpur. It is also deploying its space satellites to help the search. - http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2014/mar/10/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-search-continues-live-updates

They have no idea where the plane is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Its very strange that flightradar24.com changed the flight path of this flight!

www.youtube.com/v/hNZtz-HVy6c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

Dude111 wrote: »
    Its very strange that flightradar24.com changed the flight path of this flight!

www.youtube.com/v/hNZtz-HVy6c

Was looking at that video and the "changed flight path" shows the reg to be 9M-MRQ while the "original" one shows the correct one MRO. Could it be the poster is watching a video of the next nights flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

irishgeo wrote: »
    any chance it crashed on land in some remote place?

I think it's possible. Would be very embarrassing if that is case.
    If the phones are ringing then they must be on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

The phones ringing sounds like complete horse****.

Source?

Thats a massive search area! There has been a fair amount of political tension in that area over territorial disputes, its nice to see them setting that all aside to find this plane.

The whole passport issue is worrying
    How can one board a flight with stolen passport

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02280/Richard-Dart_2280947b.jpg

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rush-hour-carter-id-watermarked-x425.jpg

''Yes, you're clear to board, have a nice flight.''

Really is silly !!

If all these people died because of these passport issues then who is liable ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I asked the question years ago, in my innocence, as to why passports were stolen. It was explained to me, that thieves quite simply use a blade, cut out your photograph, stick in their own photo and re-seal the plastic somehow. Don't know if that's still a current usage of stolen passports.....

The whole passport issue is worrying
    How can one board a flight with stolen passport

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02280/Richard-Dart_2280947b.jpg

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rush-hour-carter-id-watermarked-x425.jpg

''Yes, you're clear to board, have a nice flight.''

Really is silly !!

When I board a Ryanair/Aer Lingus they barely look at my passport at the terminal gate, sometimes I don't bother operning it up and just give them my boarding pass. You only need a plane ticket to get past airport security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The phones ringing sounds like complete horse****.

Source?

indeed , i am just after thinking that all mobiles have to be switched off when on airplanes or in airplane mode.

so in order for the phones to be ringing someone has to have left it on and then it has to survive the crash intact in an area with a mobile phone signal.

it doesn't seem plausible.

Advertisement